Military Mischief

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Military Mischief

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:38 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:19 pm
Self-proclaimed white nationalist planned mass terror attack, government says. ‘I am dreaming of a way to kill almost every last person on earth.’

He was an officer in the Coast Guard.

:shock:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... c9f909d05e
Missing those paychecks really pissed him off, but good.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:27 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:38 pm
Missing those paychecks really pissed him off, but good.
A good concrete steel wall would have kept this terrorist out, yes?
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:23 am

Military Times
Military retirees can still be court-martialed, Supreme Court affirms

The Supreme Court decided last week not to review the case of a retired Marine who was court-martialed and convicted of sexual assault in 2015, upholding the Pentagon’s authority to prosecute retirees for crimes they commit even after leaving the service.

The decision leaves the possibility open for retirees to face punishment, such as sailors involved in the Navy’s “Fat Leonard” scandal and retired Army Gen. David Petraeus — who pleaded guilty to providing classified information to his biographer.

On Feb. 19, the Supreme Court chose not to hear the case of retired Marine Staff Sgt. Steven M. Larrabee, who left the Corps after 20 years of service but continued to reside in Iwakuni, Japan, his final duty station, where he managed two local bars.

On Nov. 15, 2015, after a night of drinking, Larrabee sexually assaulted a bartender at one of the bars he managed and used his cell phone to record the incident. ...

In September 2018, Larrabee filed a petition for his conviction to be overturned on appeal based on the argument that he should have been tried as a civilian. However, the Supreme Court has denied that appeal, upholding the past standard that retirees are still subject to the UCMJ.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:13 pm

I never read any of Larrabee’s pleadings, either at the CAAF or at the Supreme Court. The jurisdiction over retirees for crimes they committed in their retirement has been around for a very long time. I don’t think many people in the military justice community were surprised by the CAAF’s decision; I certainly wasn’t. Nor was I surprised when the Supreme Court refused to grant cert. Like I said, I didn’t read the pleadings, so I don’t know what kind a new spin Larrabee tried to put on the issue. But whatever it was, I’m not surprised that it didn’t work.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Marines investigating member over racist and pro-Nazi posts — including swastika made of explosives

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/marine ... xplosives/
Stars & Stripes reported Tuesday that the corps acknowledged an investigation into Mason Edward Mead, a lance corporal stationed in Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii after Twitter users linked him to posts he allegedly made under the handle @Jacobite_Edward.

In a statement, the Okinawa-based III Marine Expeditionary Force said the corps “is aware of derogatory online comments attributed to a Marine” and that the Naval Criminal Investigative Service “is thoroughly investigating this situation and the command will address any misconduct at the appropriate judicial or administrative level.”

News of the investigation into Mead comes less than a week after Christopher Hasson, a Coast Guard lieutenant, was arrested after allegedly making a hit list of liberal targets.

As the Marine Corps Times noted, many of the posts made by the account contained Nazi propaganda images as well as racist comments.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:28 am

1,800-year-old Roman penis carvings discovered near Hadrian’s Wall — some things never change

A fun article about soldiers' affinity for dicks.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/ ... er-change/
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:25 am

The Romans had a thing for dicks. From what I heard it wasn't just the military. :think:

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:49 am

The penis was an important, and very wide spread, fertility and good luck symbol, and it would be more unusual to NOT find one around Roman habitation than to find one. Pompeii is a good example.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:21 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:49 am
The penis was an important, and very wide spread, fertility and good luck symbol, and it would be more unusual to NOT find one around Roman habitation than to find one. Pompeii is a good example.
That, or a bunch of juveniles who like to draw dicks.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:00 pm

Why The Ancient Romans Drew Penises On Everything

https://allthatsinteresting.com/ancient-romans-penises
Humankind has something of a fascination for the form of penises, from any guffawing gaggle of preteens at schoolhouse graffito to the world’s largest collection of mammal penises in Reykjavik. Not only is it seemingly universal, but this phallic fascination is nothing new—the cities and towns of the Ancient Roman Empire were dotted with penises just about everywhere.

Of course, nudity and the male body were looked at very differently in ancient Rome than in today’s world. The beauty of the male form was celebrated, and same-sex attraction was considered quite natural.

This is not to suggest that Rome was a come-as-you-are paradise; citizens (adult freeborn males) could have sex with slaves, but only if the masters were the penetrating party. To be penetrated as a freeborn man was to symbolically abdicate one’s power. As rape and anal penetration were tools of dominance, in Rome and in war, penetration with a penis carried a mountain of subtext.

:snippity:

The penis was so associated with power that it was often used as a symbol of war, gracing the form of generals entering battle.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:08 pm

Mr. V’s article ends with:
Humans haven’t changed all that much from Hadrian’s day—penises still represent many things, from weapon to fertility icon. And like today, sometimes people just thought drawing penises on things was funny.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:48 pm

NBC News

Verified account

@NBCNews
3m3 minutes ago
More
Sen. McSally, the first female fighter pilot to fly in combat, says that she was raped by a superior officer while in the Air Force, and she didn't report it because "like so many women and men, I didn’t trust the system at the time."

http://nbcnews.to/2EHbaE5

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri May 31, 2019 10:02 pm

Interesting stats from a General Accounting Office report about racial disparities in the military justice process. Minorities across all services are more likely than white servicemembers to be investigated and taken to court-martial, but are convicted at the same rate as white servicemembers. According to the GAO report, sentence severity is the same for minority and white servicemembers in all services but the Navy, where the are more likely to put the hammer down if you're white.

Here's a link to a military.com article:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... 1559308744

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:06 pm

Troops charged in Green Beret’s death in Mali planned to record him being sexually assaulted, Marine says

Disgraceful.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... 14a9e12feb

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:54 pm

- 07/02/19 05:39 PM EDT
– Developing

Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher found not guilty of murder in war crimes case

Navy SEAL Edward Gallagher was found not guilty of murder and attempted murder in a military court Tuesday following a trial centering around the killing of an ISIS militant, according to multiple reports.

Gallagher, 40, was accused of stabbing to death an injured teenage ISIS fighter and shooting at civilians in Iraq during a 2017 deployment. The verdict, which comes one day after closing arguments, was reached by five Marines and two sailors.

A witness testifying during the trial last month admitted that he killed a teenage Iraqi militant, one of the crimes Gallagher was on trial for in California.
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4514 ... rimes-case

I only found two older posts in two other threads by searching for "Eddie Gallagher"
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:41 am

From The Hill article:
While he was found not guilty on the most serious charges, Gallagher was found guilty on the single charge of posing with the corpse of the ISIS fighter, according to multiple reports.
So he will be sentenced. From what I understand, he was charged under Article 134, UCMJ for “wrongfully posing for an unofficial photograph with a human casualty,” and that it was both prejudicial to good order and discipline in the armed forces, and was of a nature to bring discredit up on the arm forces. I don’t know what the maximum punishment for that offense is, but it would certainly potentially include a bad conduct discharge. That’s some pretty bad conduct, in my opinion. He was in confinement for a time before the judge ordered him released a while back; all of that time in pre-trial confinement will count toward his sentence.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:56 pm

I heard the typical sentence for this infraction is four months. He has served seven months now. At the very least I'd think that in addition to no additional time, as time has been served, he's not going to be an E-7 anymore. If he gets a BCD his retirement goes out the window too.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:02 pm

So, the other guy killed him, but for whatever reason Gallagher decided to pose with the body. Seems like a "trophy" photo, but the guy that supposedly did the actual killing was more than happy to let Gallagher get the photo. Uh-huh. Yup.

Yeah, I buy that. /s
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:29 pm

This is an earlier article. Don't know if there are any new developments.
06/26/19 07:41 PM EDT
Navy considering perjury charges against witness who confessed during SEAL's trial: report

Navy prosecutors are reportedly considering perjury charges for a witness who testified during a SEAL’s trial that he himself had committed the killing that the defendant had been charged with ahead of his trial.

The Navy is exploring a court martial for Special Operator First Class Corey Scott, who testified last week in the trial of Special Operations Chief Eddie Gallagher that he, not Gallagher, had killed a teenage ISIS fighter of whose murder Gallagher stood accused, CNN reported.

A Navy spokesperson confirmed to The Hill that the military is reviewing Scott's testimony "in light of his previous statements." The spokesperson added that "no decisions have been made."

"SO1 Scott's immediate Commander granted him administrative immunity in exchange for a promise of truthful testimony," a Force Public Affairs Officer for Naval Special Warfare Command told The Hill.

In an email to Scott’s lawyer obtained by CNN, the Navy stated "Scott reportedly testified directly contrary to previous official statements -- thus exposing him to prosecution."

Scott was granted testimonial immunity and thus cannot be charged with the murder to which he confessed.
<snip>
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4505 ... ring-seals

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:56 pm

Sentenced to four months confinement (already served), reduction in rank by one paygrade, and forfeiture of $2,697 per month for four months.

This is one of the things about the military justice system that truly bothers me. It seems that the higher in rank you are the less severe the punishment, although, at least in my mind, the more culpable you are because you’ve been around long enough to know better. I have had many, many clients do way less severe stuff than this and get completely hammered. They should’ve given him a punitive discharge. It’s conduct like this on the battlefield that makes the rest of the world absolutely hate the United States military, and this sends the message that we are A-OK with this sort of thing. This is a complete slap on the wrist.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:35 pm

more and also what Maybenaut said
Navy SEAL sentenced to demotion, pay cut in war crimes case
"This has put a black eye on the two communities I love: The United States Marine Corps and the Navy," Gallagher reportedly told the jury Wednesday. "Most of all, it has put my family through hell the last two years."

Prosecutors argued in Gallagher's case that he posed for a photo with the young fighter's corpse after fatally stabbing the fighter while administering medical aide.

He was acquitted of murder charges after a witness in the case, who received immunity for his testimony, claimed on the stand to have carried out the killing himself.

Seven other Navy SEALs, meanwhile, testified under oath that Gallagher had committed the murder.
<snip>
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4516 ... rimes-case

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Between Zinke and these guys, I’m starting to wonder about Navy SEALs.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:41 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:41 am
From The Hill article:
While he was found not guilty on the most serious charges, Gallagher was found guilty on the single charge of posing with the corpse of the ISIS fighter, according to multiple reports.
So he will be sentenced. From what I understand, he was charged under Article 134, UCMJ for “wrongfully posing for an unofficial photograph with a human casualty,” and that it was both prejudicial to good order and discipline in the armed forces, and was of a nature to bring discredit up on the arm forces. I don’t know what the maximum punishment for that offense is, but it would certainly potentially include a bad conduct discharge. That’s some pretty bad conduct, in my opinion. He was in confinement for a time before the judge ordered him released a while back; all of that time in pre-trial confinement will count toward his sentence.
Wasn't there an incident on an Afghan hilltop similar to this where the platoon burtn and pissed on the body of a killed Taliban and had pictures circulating?

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:48 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:41 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:41 am
From The Hill article:
Wasn't there an incident on an Afghan hilltop similar to this where the platoon burtn and pissed on the body of a killed Taliban and had pictures circulating?
Yeah. Most of those charges ended up getting thrown out because of unlawful command influence. The Commandant of the Marine Corps went around making a bunch of briefs to senior leadership telling them that he expected them to deal with these issues in a particular manner. Busy right now, but maybe tomorrow I'll see if I can get some more detailed info.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:52 pm

Sentenced to four months with credit for time served. Reduced in rank from E-7 to E-6. (I doubt he'll make Chief again). His attorney says that he will be retiring. At least he gets to retire. I don't know what it will cost him to retire at a reduced rank, but I'd suspect something easily in the five figures over the life of his retirement.

Question for Maybenaut: The military has no bond/bail system? I couldn't see him high-tailing out of the country while awaiting trial.

Return to “Military”