Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Re: Derek Chauvin trial: The murder of George Floyd

Post by Flatpoint High »

neonzx wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:11 pm
sad-cafe wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:10 pm I have learned way more than I knew. He was tortured by a guy who LOVED doing it

makes me f'n sick
There are few bad cops -- unfortunately, it is difficult to fire them because of the powerful unions. Even when their coworkers want them gone.
Don't call them "unions" because they aren't. It's not difficult to fire a bad cop, it's the PBA's that sue to get the bad cop his job back.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Thank you Sugar, you're awesome. Had a feeling Will Chamberlain was as wrong about this as he was on the election (he made the case that Mike Pence could decide which electoral votes should be counted).

And not only do you get a cup of Denny's Coffee...

DennyCoffee.jpg
DennyCoffee.jpg (92.77 KiB) Viewed 3772 times

But a full-on Denny's breakfast with the second cup! Anyone you'd like to INDICT? That's included :P

Dennys 2.jpg
Dennys 2.jpg (11.47 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

orlylicious wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:51 am Thank you Sugar, you're awesome. Had a feeling Will Chamberlain was as wrong about this as he was on the election (he made the case that Mike Pence could decide which electoral votes should be counted).

And not only do you get a cup of Denny's Coffee...

DennyCoffee.jpg

But a full-on Denny's breakfast with the second cup! Anyone you'd like to INDICT? That's included :P
The first cup is for listening to his stupid comments. The second cup is for having to listen to his irritating voice.
If his (and that other guy's website he referenced) analysis of the defense case is accurate, at least we know what to expect next week. I haven't heard but one name mentioned as a possible defense witness (David somebody, something medical) but it will be interesting to see who they come up with to refute the other expert witnesses and how they compare to each other.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:25 am I haven't heard but one name mentioned as a possible defense witness (David somebody, something medical) but it will be interesting to see who they come up with to refute the other expert witnesses and how they compare to each other.
In my little corner of the criminal justice system, the identity of testifying* experts, plus whatever research they rely upon in forming their opinions, is known well in advance of trial. And they can be interviewed by the other side before testifying. I assume that’s true in MN.

* Experts who only assist in educating the parties but don’t testify have to be identified (to ensure both sides don’t hire the same guy), but their opinions are considered work product and can’t be interviewed by the other side. If the other side’s expert testified to something unexpected, the non-testifying expert can be called in rebuttal. In our system the judge will look at you squiggle-eyed for sand-bagging, but will allow it.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:37 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:25 am I haven't heard but one name mentioned as a possible defense witness (David somebody, something medical) but it will be interesting to see who they come up with to refute the other expert witnesses and how they compare to each other.
In my little corner of the criminal justice system, the identity of testifying* experts, plus whatever research they rely upon in forming their opinions, is known well in advance of trial. And they can be interviewed by the other side before testifying. I assume that’s true in MN.

* Experts who only assist in educating the parties but don’t testify have to be identified (to ensure both sides don’t hire the same guy), but their opinions are considered work product and can’t be interviewed by the other side. If the other side’s expert testified to something unexpected, the non-testifying expert can be called in rebuttal. In our system the judge will look at you squiggle-eyed for sand-bagging, but will allow it.
I'm sure there's a list of defense experts out there somewhere, I just haven't seen it. The only reason I know David whosit is because one of the talkers on tv said it the other day.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

j. Defense Experts (contact information and C.V. previously disclosed)
i. David R. Fowler, MB, ChB. M.Med. Path.
ii. William R. Oliver, M.D., M.S., M.P.A
iii. Brian L. Peterson, M.D.
iv. Ljubisa Jovan Dragovic, M.D., F.C.A.P., F.A.A.F.S.
v. Kanthi DeAlwis, M.D.
vi. Kimberly Ann Collins, M.D.
vii. Gary W. Kunsman, PH.D., F-ABFT
viii. Aahraf Mozayani, PHARM.D., PH.D., F-ABFT
ix. Lionel Raymon, PHARM. D., PH.D.
x. Sara J. Schreiber, MS
xi. Dr. Michael Welner
xii. Dr. Kai Sturmann
xiii. Dr. Ronald Goldenberg
xiv. Dr. Mary Sheppard
xv. Dr. William Anderson
xvi. Barry Brodd
From https://mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/media/ ... 082021.pdf
Lani

Post by Lani »

You can buy your experts. I know. I was a litigator. I hope the defense fails, but I have my doubts.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Okay, who the fuck is paying for Chauvin's defense? Because that's at least a couple hundred grand worth of experts right there.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Lani

Post by Lani »

Yes it is. I suspect that that the prosecutors are going to be hit hard.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

At least two with drug expertise. I think we can see where the defense is going.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:21 am Okay, who the fuck is paying for Chauvin's defense? Because that's at least a couple hundred grand worth of experts right there.
Same ones who contribute to the Kenosha killer.

Why do Americans hate their own country?

If I were a juror, frankly, I’d smell desperation. That’s why I never get picked as a juror. My disqualifying questions have been, “ What college did you go to?” and “Do you read?”
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Lani wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:26 am Yes it is. I suspect that that the prosecutors are going to be hit hard.
But they’ve known about them, right? I suspect they’ve sharpened their claws.
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

I think there's a good chance the jury will be hung, but I don't think this jury will acquit.

When I try a case to a jury while I like to see (and hear reports) about how the jury is reacting, I generally determine "how the trial is going" by how well my witnesses perform and whether I can get in all the evidence I have planned for. That's when I'm on my part of the case. When I'm dealing with the opponent's presentation "how well the case is going" depends on how well I can damage the opponent's witnesses on cross and how much evidence I can keep out. By that measure, so far the case is going well for the prosecution.

Most jury trials are crap shoots, especially in these polarized times, but there are some cases you have to try and this is one of them.
Neither disbarred nor disciplined while representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
Lani

Post by Lani »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:43 am
Lani wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:26 am Yes it is. I suspect that that the prosecutors are going to be hit hard.
But they’ve known about them, right? I suspect they’ve sharpened their claws.
It's going to get ugly.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:21 am Okay, who the fuck is paying for Chauvin's defense? Because that's at least a couple hundred grand worth of experts right there.
Who pays in your system? In the military the government pays, and they’re required to provide the defense with experts as qualified as the government uses. Procedurally, the defense IDs the experts it wants, the government either agrees or denies, and if it denies, the military judge decides. It’s unusual for the defense to lose these motions, and if they do, they’re usually successful in appeal, particularly where the government had an expert and the defense didn’t.

But the government wouldn’t be required to fund a parade, usually just one. But if the govt gets 2, so does the defense.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:09 am
Who pays in your system? In the military the government pays, and they’re required to provide the defense with experts as qualified as the government uses. Procedurally, the defense IDs the experts it wants, the government either agrees or denies, and if it denies, the military judge decides. It’s unusual for the defense to lose these motions, and if they do, they’re usually successful in appeal, particularly where the government had an expert and the defense didn’t.

But the government wouldn’t be required to fund a parade, usually just one. But if the govt gets 2, so does the defense.
In my cases where I'm appointed by the court or by the Wisconsin State Public Defender, I can get funding for a limited number of experts. In cases where the defendant has privately retained counsel, the government isn't paying for shit and the defendant has to pony up. I won't lie: It's been a deciding factor in a couple cases of mine where a trial would boil down to a battle of experts. When the prosecutor makes a reasonable offer and a trial is going to be a roll of the dice over which side's expert the jury believes, a lot of defendants decide they'd rather take the deal than beg, borrow, or steal the extra cash to pay an expert.

There's no way in hell politicians in our state would approve funding expert defense for criminal defendants who are not indigent. We can't even get the state legislature to agree to pay public defenders the same as prosecutors here. I suspect Minnesota is much the same.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Lani

Post by Lani »

Yeah. I walked away from litigation and became working with mediation.

If you don't have the money, you will lose in court. Thar's the reality.
filly

Post by filly »

It will be interesting to see how many of these defense experts are actually paid experts. The State's best expert, Dr. Tobin, volunteered.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

The Minn Police Assn apparently. Not his union.
https://www.distractify.com/p/who-is-pa ... in-defense
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

filly wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:29 am It will be interesting to see how many of these defense experts are actually paid experts. The State's best expert, Dr. Tobin, volunteered.
As did Dr. Lindsey Thomas, the doctor that the ME in the case trained under.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:18 am
In my cases where I'm appointed by the court or by the Wisconsin State Public Defender, I can get funding for a limited number of experts. In cases where the defendant has privately retained counsel, the government isn't paying for shit and the defendant has to pony up. I won't lie: It's been a deciding factor in a couple cases of mine where a trial would boil down to a battle of experts. When the prosecutor makes a reasonable offer and a trial is going to be a roll of the dice over which side's expert the jury believes, a lot of defendants decide they'd rather take the deal than beg, borrow, or steal the extra cash to pay an expert.

There's no way in hell politicians in our state would approve funding expert defense for criminal defendants who are not indigent. We can't even get the state legislature to agree to pay public defenders the same as prosecutors here. I suspect Minnesota is much the same.
We don’t have an indigency requirement in the military. Dude could be independently wealthy, and he still going to get a free military attorney, and he still going to get experts paid for by the government, even if he goes out and hires his own civilian counsel. As much of a bad rap is military justice gets, I’d rather be tried in the military system. It is very, very defense-friendly.

What often happens is the judge will approve one expert, and the defense might go out and hire additional experts on their own dime.
Lani

Post by Lani »

BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. — A 20-year-old Black man died after a police officer shot him during a traffic stop in a Minneapolis suburb on Sunday, sending hundreds of people into the streets where they clashed with police officers into Monday morning.

The protests in Brooklyn Center came hours before the 11th day of the trial of Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer who has been charged with murdering George Floyd, was set to begin in a courtroom less than 10 miles away.
:snippity:
Chief Tim Gannon of the Brooklyn Center Police Department said an officer had shot the man on Sunday afternoon after pulling his car over for a traffic violation and discovering that the driver had a warrant out for his arrest. As the police tried to detain the man, he stepped back into his car, at which point an officer shot him, Chief Gannon said.
:snippity:
Mr. Wright’s mother, Katie Wright, told reporters that her son had been driving a car that his family had just given him two weeks ago and that he had called her as he was being pulled over.

“He said they pulled him over because he had air fresheners hanging from his rear view mirror,” she said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/11/us/b ... d=tw-share

He was on the phone with his mom and heard him be ordered to leave the car , some “scuffling” and an officer telling him not to run. Then the phone call was cut off. She called back and her son's girlfriend told her that the cops shot him. :crying:

People gathered to protest. Police & National Guard are involved.
filly

Post by filly »

There was also looting at a nearby mall. That always hurts the cause.

Nelson made a motion to have to jury sequestered as a result of yesterday's incident, which Judge Cahill denied.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

It took four freaking years to arrest Cliven Bundt, a man who convinced a horde of people to point guns at law enforcement. I don’t understand why they have to shoot “runners”. Why not just get them later when it’s more safe
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

RVInit wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:19 pm It took four freaking years to arrest Cliven Bundt, a man who convinced a horde of people to point guns at law enforcement. I don’t understand why they have to shoot “runners”. Why not just get them later when it’s more safe
The law enforcement community seem to see the BLM as 'not one of them', so disrespect against them is not a high priority. Meanwhile disrespecting a county/state officer is OMG THE SKY IS FALLING and has to be met with lethal force otherwise others might disrespect them too.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”