Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’

Addie

Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’

Post by Addie »

The Atlantic - Jeffrey Goldberg: Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’

The president has repeatedly disparaged the intelligence of service members, and asked that wounded veterans be kept out of military parades, multiple sources tell The Atlantic.

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true.

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.

Belleau Wood is a consequential battle in American history, and the ground on which it was fought is venerated by the Marine Corps. America and its allies stopped the German advance toward Paris there in the spring of 1918. But Trump, on that same trip, asked aides, “Who were the good guys in this war?” He also said that he didn’t understand why the United States would intervene on the side of the Allies.

Trump’s understanding of concepts such as patriotism, service, and sacrifice have interested me since he expressed contempt for the war record of the late Senator John McCain, who spent more than five years as a prisoner of the North Vietnamese. “He’s not a war hero,” Trump said in 2015 while running for the Republican nomination for president. “I like people who weren’t captured.”

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
SLQ

Re: Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’

Post by SLQ »

His psyche is deeply creepy.

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

If Trump ever had been a POW he would have spied on his fellow prisoners to get favors from his captors.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

That story is revolting, and it gets so much worse:
On Memorial Day 2017, Trump visited Arlington National Cemetery, a short drive from the White House. He was accompanied on this visit by John Kelly, who was then the secretary of homeland security, and who would, a short time later, be named the White House chief of staff. The two men were set to visit Section 60, the 14-acre area of the cemetery that is the burial ground for those killed in America’s most recent wars. Kelly’s son Robert is buried in Section 60. A first lieutenant in the Marine Corps, Robert Kelly was killed in 2010 in Afghanistan. He was 29. Trump was meant, on this visit, to join John Kelly in paying respects at his son’s grave, and to comfort the families of other fallen service members. But according to sources with knowledge of this visit, Trump, while standing by Robert Kelly’s grave, turned directly to his father and said, “I don’t get it. What was in it for them?” Kelly (who declined to comment for this story) initially believed, people close to him said, that Trump was making a ham-handed reference to the selflessness of America’s all-volunteer force. But later he came to realize that Trump simply does not understand non-transactional life choices.

“He can’t fathom the idea of doing something for someone other than himself,” one of Kelly’s friends, a retired four-star general, told me. “He just thinks that anyone who does anything when there’s no direct personal gain to be had is a sucker. There’s no money in serving the nation.” Kelly’s friend went on to say, “Trump can’t imagine anyone else’s pain. That’s why he would say this to the father of a fallen marine on Memorial Day in the cemetery where he’s buried.”
I feel like weeping and vomiting at the same time. And John Kelly kept working for this man after this? Between him and Sarah "POTUS Pimped Me To Kim-Jong-un" Sanders, the utter lack of self-respect on Trump's staff has really been remarkable.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada »

Why does Trump have support from any member of the military? I know he’s starting to lose the support, but why would any of them feel anything but contempt for him? I really don’t understand. :(

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss »

I was named after my father's older brother. He was a 1st lieutenant Army Air Corps fighter pilot who was shot down in the South China Sea in March 1945.

Fuck the Coward In Chief! :twoup:

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

What a wonderful way to get the support of veterans!
That is going to appear in a Lincoln Project, a Biden commercial or both.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Hmm. I need something to cleanse me of his nastiness.
Senator Tammy Duckworth wrote: Attacks from self-serving, insecure men who can't tell the difference between true patriotism and hateful nationalism will never diminish my love for this country -- or my willingness to sacrifice for it so they don't have to. These titanium legs don't buckle,"
Ahh.. that's better.

North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Honor, duty, integrity, these concepts are as foreign to President Plague as compassion and charity.

I'm not surprised at this in the least.

Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss
Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

Some of those 3% ers and oathkeepers might pause and think for a moment, until they dismiss it as fake news.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I am sick at heart. Decades ago, a coworker shared about her BF, a Vietnam Pow, who was missing some back molars. His captors yanked them out. Eff you Individual 1.

James LaPorta
@JimLaPorta
A senior Defense Department official I just spoke with confirmed this story by
@JeffreyGoldberg
in its entirety. Especially the grafs about the late Sen. John McCain and former Marine Gen. John Kelly, President
@realDonaldTrump
former chief of staff.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

All I can say is the Secret Service has become very good at its job. A lot better than in 1963 or 1981.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

His entire life, it's been about him and only him. He is incapable of feeling anything for anyone. I just can't figure out how so many are so blind to that.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Yeah. Too bad.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

jemcanada wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:13 pm Why does Trump have support from any member of the military? I know he’s starting to lose the support, but why would any of them feel anything but contempt for him? I really don’t understand. :(
Republicans always spend big on the military, which means pay hikes for all members. That hike also ends up causing an increase in retirement and disability pay, it becomes hard for service members to vote against pay raise. My dad is case in point, voted GOP in every presidential election since he could vote, in 16 President Plague was a bridge to far, being a Vietnam vet he recognizes incompetence immediately, and didn't vote at all.

ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:21 pm
jemcanada wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:13 pm Why does Trump have support from any member of the military? I know he’s starting to lose the support, but why would any of them feel anything but contempt for him? I really don’t understand. :(
Republicans always spend big on the military, which means pay hikes for all members. That hike also ends up causing an increase in retirement and disability pay, it becomes hard for service members to vote against pay raise. My dad is case in point, voted GOP in every presidential election since he could vote, in 16 President Plague was a bridge to far, being a Vietnam vet he recognizes incompetence immediately, and didn't vote at all.
Which merely allowed other people to decide for him. Look how they decided.

Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

ZekeB wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:32 pm
Which merely allowed other people to decide for him. Look how they decided.
[/quote]

I didn't say he made the right choice, but between Biden being an actual adult, Catholic, and coming from my father's hometown area [parents are from Wilkes-Barrie], he'll be crossing over to the dark side and going straight Dem this go around.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

For the same reason police love him, he promises more power, more funding, less accountability and culture war victories pushing back against muslims and women and gays and whoever else they don't like.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Is it just me, but is your internal outrage meter burned out? This mutt and his sluts are doing things to the planet that are so unthinkable every single day that is just impossible to keep up? WHO exit? Anti-Doping exit? Surpized the happy fat fuck hasn't pulled us completely out of NATO.

It. Needs. To. Stop.

Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Andrea Mitchell just said, via Twitter, that AP has verified The Atlantic story. Sorry I can't link but I'm on my tablet, not to mention stoned, so who knows what I'd end up posting.

ImageImageImage x4
Addie

Post by Addie »

Further to Slim Cognito
Associated Press: Report: Trump disparaged US war dead as ‘losers,’ ‘suckers’ ...

The allegations were first reported in The Atlantic. A senior Defense Department official with firsthand knowledge of events confirmed some of the remarks to The Associated Press, including the 2018 cemetery comments.

The defense official said Trump made the comments as he begged off visiting the cemetery outside Paris during a meeting following his presidential daily briefing on the morning of Nov. 10, 2018. ...

The Defense official also confirmed to The AP reporting in The Atlantic that Trump on Memorial Day 2017 had gone with his chief of staff, John Kelly, to visit the Arlington Cemetery gravesite of Kelly’s son, Robert, who was killed in 2010 in Afghanistan, and said to Kelly: “I don’t get it. What was in it for them?”

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss »

John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:51 pm Is it just me, but is your internal outrage meter burned out? This mutt and his sluts are doing things to the planet that are so unthinkable every single day that is just impossible to keep up? WHO exit? Anti-Doping exit? Surpized the happy fat fuck hasn't pulled us completely out of NATO.

It. Needs. To. Stop.
I agree with you John regarding some things, BUT not this issue of our war dead being regarded by the CIC as "losers" and "suckers." I never met my uncle Gene. What I did see was a lifetime of pain in the eyes of my grandparents and father.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:01 pm Andrea Mitchell just said, via Twitter, that AP has verified The Atlantic story. Sorry I can't link but I'm on my tablet, not to mention stoned, so who knows what I'd end up posting.
The DOD confirms that the orange fucknut said these things. Multiple times. cadet bonespurs is useless.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Mr. Gneiss wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:14 pm
John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:51 pm Is it just me, but is your internal outrage meter burned out? This mutt and his sluts are doing things to the planet that are so unthinkable every single day that is just impossible to keep up? WHO exit? Anti-Doping exit? Surpized the happy fat fuck hasn't pulled us completely out of NATO.

It. Needs. To. Stop.
I agree with you John regarding some things, BUT not this issue of our war dead being regarded by the CIC as "losers" and "suckers." I never met my uncle Gene. What I did see was a lifetime of pain in the eyes of my grandparents and father.
I've been shot overseas. My son is on 100% disability after going to shrub's massive mistake. The males in my family trace their service back to William Wallace. The orange idiot is a klansman. That it dared to disparage our service members is beyond the pale.

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss »

John, thank you for your and your family's service and sacrifice. My post is not intended to usurp the discussion or minimize the sacrifice of others.

I will say that I've always been proud that my father decided to name his eldest son after his brother.

Return to “Military”