Pentagon sending 1,000 more troops as tensions with Iran grow

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:48 am

Politico

The Pentagon is dispatching an additional 1,000 troops to the Middle East in response to recent attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman that the United States blames on Iran.

"The recent Iranian attacks validate the reliable, credible intelligence we have received on hostile behavior by Iranian forces and their proxy groups that threaten United States personnel and interests across the region," acting Defense Secretary Pat Shanahan said in a statement announcing the deployment. The additional forces are "for defensive purposes to address air, naval, and ground-based threats in the Middle East," the statement added.

The troops are being sent at the request of U.S. Central Command chief Gen. Frank McKenzie, who oversees U.S. forces in the Middle East. Some 1,500 other troops were sent to the region late last month at McKenzie’s request, shortly after the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier strike group and a task force of B-52 bombers were also dispatched as reinforcements.

Those deployments came in response to what the Pentagon and White House called signs of possible impending attacks by Iran or its proxies against U.S. forces or interests. Last Friday, Shanahan told reports that he and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford were “making sure that General McKenzie and the Central Command have the resources and support they need to conduct their missions.”

The statement did not describe the forces being sent in the latest wave. Last month’s deployments included Patriot antiaircraft missile units to defend U.S. troops in the region from missile attacks.

Addie

Re: Pentagon sending 1,000 more troops as tensions with Iran grow

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:50 am

Reuters
Iran says it won't wage war, Russia tells U.S. to stop stoking tensions

GENEVA/DUBAI (Reuters) - President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday Iran would not wage war against any nation, while Russia told the United States it should drop what it called provocative plans to deploy more troops to the Middle East.

Fears of a confrontation between Iran and the United States have mounted since Washington blamed its long-time foe for Thursday’s attacks on two oil tankers near the strategic Strait of Hormuz shipping lane.

Relations had already deteriorated following President Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw the United States from an international pact under which Iran agreed curbs on its nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief.

Since exiting that accord in May last year Trump has restored and extended U.S. sanctions, forcing countries around the world to boycott Iranian oil or face sanctions of their own.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:58 am

Foreign Policy
New Centcom Chief Walks Tightrope on Iran as Trump Adds Troops

Gen. Kenneth McKenzie must strike a balance between sending a strong deterrent signal and provoking a war in the Middle East.

Though he is just months into the job, the new commander of U.S. Central Command, Gen. Kenneth McKenzie, is already driving a push to reinvigorate the U.S. military’s footprint in the Middle East, as the administration grapples with a fresh crisis in the Persian Gulf.

In answer to McKenzie’s request for reinforcements, the United States will deploy an additional 1,000 troops to the region to address the threat from Iran, the Pentagon announced late Monday. In a statement, the U.S. Defense Department stressed that the troops are “defensive,” and that the United States “does not seek conflict with Iran.”

Shortly before the announcement, the Pentagon also released additional photos showing the aftermath of suspected attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, including some purportedly showing Iranian forces removing an unexploded mine from one of the vessels.

“The action today is being taken to ensure the safety and welfare of our military personnel working throughout the region and to protect our national interests,” according to the statement. “We will continue to monitor the situation diligently and make adjustments to force levels as necessary given intelligence reporting and credible threats.

McKenzie’s aggressive posturing—condemning Iran as the “most significant threat to stability” in the region as well as requesting a surge of additional forces—has raised questions about whether the White House is pressuring the military to take a stronger stance against Tehran, and it has stoked concerns about missteps that could lead to a larger conflict. But those who know him say McKenzie, a U.S. Marine and seasoned military commander who spent the last two years as the director of the Joint Staff at the Department of Defense, is well equipped to handle the escalating standoff.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:00 pm

New Republic - Adam Weinstein: Who Is Actually Running the U.S. Military’s Iran Efforts?

As tensions rise, an unprecedented military briefing by a hawkish secretary of state throws the chain of command into doubt.

optimusprime

Post by optimusprime » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:59 pm

Wag the Dog

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:05 pm

My son is active duty military so once again I am freaking out.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:39 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:00 pm
New Republic - Adam Weinstein: Who Is Actually Running the U.S. Military’s Iran Efforts?

As tensions rise, an unprecedented military briefing by a hawkish secretary of state throws the chain of command into doubt.
Didn't dotus early in his office say once he will leave all military matters to his generals? Like of they would like to bomb Syria back to the stone age, just now the generals are playing with Iran, all without political leadership from the WH? Just following Pompeo and Bolton?

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:15 am

My guess is that Bolton is smart enough to know Trump won't actually give the go-ahead to start bombing on his own. So he's doing everything he can to put as many US troops and assets as close to Iran as possible to increase the likelihood that something happens that will allow him to walk into the Oval Office and tell the boss "We have to retaliate."

He's effectively using our soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines as human bullseyes, hoping that Iran fucks up and hits some of them. It's truly despicable, but I'm sure he views it as a price worth paying to get his dream of a final reckoning with the clerical regime. Even Bolton's friends would probably concede that the thing he wants most in all the world is a war with Iran. Think on it: His highest aspiration is for a war in which probably hundreds of thousands will die. I'm not sure what words adequately describe that, but "psychopathy" and "sociopathy" probably come close.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:32 pm

SuzieC wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:05 pm
My son is active duty military so once again I am freaking out.
It still can be adverted - if the cost to Donnie is too high it might not happen.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:16 am

Cross-posting

Roll Call
Schumer pushes for vote to make clear Trump needs congressional approval for Iran War

Democrats returning from a White House meeting on the same page about limitations of current authorizations

Returning to Capitol Hill after a meeting at the White House about the shooting down of an American drone, Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer increased the pressure for a floor vote to make clear that authorization would be needed for military action against Iran.

The New York Democrat highlighted an amendment that has been filed to the fiscal 2020 defense policy bill led by Sens. Tom Udall, D-N.M., and Tim Kaine, D-Va. The Senate is expected to proceed to the Pentagon legislation Monday evening.

“We told the room that the Democratic position is that congressional approval must be required before funding any conflict in Iran,” Schumer said. “One of the best ways to avoid bumbling into war, a war that nobody wants, is to have a robust, open debate, and for Congress to have a real say.”

Schumer said the lesson should be learned from the broad authorization granted for military action against Iraq during the George W. Bush presidency.

“We have an amendment, supported by every Democrat, to the NDAA in the Senate. It’s led by Sen. Udall. It would require congressional approval of any funding for a conflict in Iran. It’s supported by all of us,” Schumer said. “We are asking Leader McConnell to do the right thing and give us a vote next week on the NDAA on that amendment.” ...

Separately, supporters of the amendment discussed by Schumer also took to the Senate floor to make their case Thursday afternoon.

“If some colleagues here on the floor think we should be in a war with Iran, as some have publicly urged, let them come to the floor of the United States Senate in full view of the American people and make that argument,” Kaine said. “And I’ll make my argument about why a new war in the Middle East would be catastrophic and see who wants to stand up and make the argument that a new war in the Middle East is something that this great nation should do.

“And if we then have that argument, and cast a vote, and I lose, I’m going to be disappointed — but we will have done what the Constitution suggests that we must do,” Kaine said.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:51 pm

The Guardian: US to deploy troops to Saudi Arabia in face of 'credible' regional threats

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:52 pm

Why is the Pentagon making this kind of announcement?

I'm old enough to remember when it was nobody's damn business who was going where and when. :?

“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

Return to “Military”