Ms. Manning's Court Martial

Maybenaut

Re: Ms. Manning's Court Martial

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:25 am

ZekeB wrote:
Addie wrote:My feeling has always been that the Army was irresponsible in giving an immature, emotionally unbalanced young soldier an assignment with ready access to critical data the service was obliged to keep secret.
Perhaps I had a different security clearance, but I had an hour-long interview with a Shrink as a part of the investigation they did on me. Half of that time was me answering a bunch of open-ended questions.
I don't think they do that anymore.

Judge Mental

Post by Judge Mental » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Many thanks Maybenaut.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:Did I miss something? I wasn't aware that Assange had done anything to get him extradited or be extraditable to the US.
For what it is worth, Assange believes he has been indicted in the United States, but the indictment remains under seal. Federal officials have denied that.
Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:24 pm

Assange is a complete Walter Mitty.
"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Judge Mental

Post by Judge Mental » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:56 am

Mikedunford wrote: ..... To my knowledge, there are no charges pending in the USA, so he will not be extradited here.
True, the US Govt has denied there are any existing charges...but they have also made no great secret of there being an ongoing criminal investigation of WikiLeaks. The US Govt even cited the type of potential charges against WikiLeaks (and/or presumably Assange) in the course of seeking to acquire copies of WikiLeaks staff emails from Google. Presumably the US Govt 'could' still lay those charges at a time convenient to them if they think they are warranted.

So to be fair it was probably not all that surprising nor wholly disingenuous of WikiLeaks/Assange to say that extradition to the US is feared.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:24 am

Off Topic
Kind of off-topic, but Manning's sentence wasn't the only military sentence to be commuted. Dwight Loving, who had been on death row in Leavenworth, had his sentence commuted to life without parole.
ETA: Now there are only four inmates on death row in the military. Also, too, LWOP inmates are not covered by the MOU with the Bureau of Prisons, so he'll stay at Leavenworth.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:29 pm

bob wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:Did I miss something? I wasn't aware that Assange had done anything to get him extradited or be extraditable to the US.
For what it is worth, Assange believes he has been indicted in the United States, but the indictment remains under seal. Federal officials have denied that.
Assange believes a lot of things, how many or if any of them have any basis in reality is well beyond me, or my concern. I do know he thinks he is a good deal more important than he really is.

I am still wondering if he steps foot in the US if Sweden can ask for his detainment and extradition to Sweden. I would suspect we have treaties and such with Sweden that would allow that.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:27 am

Since it doesn't seem to have been reported here, Waleed Ali interviewed Julian Assange yesterday on The Panel. When Ali asked him when he was leaving the embassy, he claimed that he'd never agreed to leave the embassy if Manning was released, said "I'm not an idiot," and said his lawyers were in discussions with the DOJ. He never actually said what was being discussed, or acknowledged that there are no pending charges against him in the US, or mentioned the charges in Sweden.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed May 17, 2017 10:25 am

Chelsea Manning has been released from the US Disciplinary Barracks.

Washington Post story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... fc30f2cbf3

This statement from the president if the Log Cabin Republicans pretty much sums it up for me:
Gregory T. Angelo, president of the Log Cabin Republicans, an organization advocating for LGBT conservatives, said he finds it “perplexing” that Manning would be idolized.

“I think that it is great that Chelsea Manning is going to be able to live her life authentically, and she should most definitely be allowed to do so, but that does not excuse past behaviors that put lives at risk and put her into prison in the first place,” Angelo said. “There are far better representatives of the LGBT community.”

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:41 am

off topic - didn't know where to post it
Zara Rahim‏Verified account @zara915 17h17 hours ago

Chelsea Manning for the September issue of Vogue. Stunning photo by Annie Leibovitz.

Chelsea E. Manning

5:04 AM - 10 Aug 2017
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Return to “Military”