USA and Europe.

Chilidog

USA and Europe.

Post by Chilidog »

In the week before U.S. Vice President Mike Pence visited Brussels and pledged America’s “steadfast and enduring” commitment to the European Union, White House chief strategist Steve Bannon met with a German diplomat and delivered a different message, according to people familiar with the talks.

Bannon, these people said, signalled to Germany’s ambassador to Washington that he viewed the EU as a flawed construct and favoured conducting relations with Europe on a bilateral basis.
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/reveale ... ces-visit/

:confused:

Poor Mike Pence.

He's not Dan Quayle 2.0, he's Fredo Corleone.

Mikedunford

Re: USA and Europe.

Post by Mikedunford »

If Bannon wants bilateral trade negotiations with EU member states, he's a total fucking moron. (He's also fucking moron regardless, of course.) Under the Treaty of Lisbon (and CJEU caselaw), foreign trade deals fall within the sole competence of the EU; member states cannot negotiate individual trade deals. This is widely known not only to international law geeks like me, but also to literally everyone in the world who paid even moderate attention to Brexit - one of the objections to the EU that received a great deal of attention was that EU membership kept the UK from entering into preferential trade arrangements with non-EU Commonwealth states.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Considering that the Germans obviously knew that already, they must have been consummate diplomats not to laugh in his face.

The other question is where is T. Rex in all this? Isn't this basically his job?

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Mikedunford wrote:If Bannon wants bilateral trade negotiations with EU member states, he's a total fucking moron. (He's also fucking moron regardless, of course.) Under the Treaty of Lisbon (and CJEU caselaw), foreign trade deals fall within the sole competence of the EU; member states cannot negotiate individual trade deals. This is widely known not only to international law geeks like me, but also to literally everyone in the world who paid even moderate attention to Brexit - one of the objections to the EU that received a great deal of attention was that EU membership kept the UK from entering into preferential trade arrangements with non-EU Commonwealth states.
That's part of the Trump schtick, isn't it? A mixture of "rules and regulations are for little people" and "I make deals, the greatest deals, believe me".

Does Bannon think he can persuade individual EU countries to accept more US goods? Even if the trade regulations weren't a block (which, as Mike states, they absolutely are), I assume those countries must apply EU standards on products. For many things that might not be a problem but EU food safety, hygiene and animal welfare standards tend to be much stricter than those in the US (e.g. on hormones in beef). It's a fantasy on several levels.

Drifting off-topic: Ireland is clearly very worried about the impact of Brexit, both on trade and the effects on their messy land border with the UK. For trade aspects - which I guess will affect required border controls too - Ireland will have to rely on the EU to negotiate. That's not going to be comfortable for the Irish people.

Hektor

Post by Hektor »

You know, this reminds me of some sort of Imperial Court where one has to worry about which courtiers have the Emperor's ear at the moment and flatter them accordingly. I mean what happens if say the Russians mass troops on the borders after there is unrest in the Baltics. Say Pence tells Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia to stand strong while Bannon muses to their ambassadors about a deal with Russia. I know President Trump wanted American foreign policy to be a bit more unpredictable but yeesh. This could cause a lot of trouble.

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN: State Department silent while other countries shape the message
Chilidog wrote:The other question is where is T. Rex in all this? Isn't this basically his job?

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Addie wrote:CNN: State Department silent while other countries shape the message
:like:
Very good article, worth to be read full length, I would be challenged to pick out a single quote, much as I see it an an observer from the outside.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, and 4 granddogs and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Addie wrote:CNN: State Department silent while other countries shape the message
Chilidog wrote:The other question is where is T. Rex in all this? Isn't this basically his job?
See also, too:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 0426b5000c

"Why Iron-man and why not Fe-male? This joke is not for everyone." - Monde Mobsinner Bakaqana to The Science Nerds on Twitter.

Return to “Foreign Policy”