North Korea

Mikedunford

Re: North Korea

Post by Mikedunford »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:27 pm Somebody just got played.
Like a two-dollar banjo.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Mikedunford wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:38 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:27 pm Somebody just got played.
Like a two-dollar banjo.
And will continuen to be played until that banjo makes its way to the 49 cent remainders table.
tencats

Post by tencats »

Signs that the US and North Korea interpretations are worlds apart as Kim Jong-un pledges to keep his country’s arsenal for generations
Mon 23 Apr 2018
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... to-collide
:snippity: Trump has said that his summit with Kim, if it happens, will take place in early June or slightly earlier. Before that, Kim is due to meet the South Korean president, Moon Jae-in, where the two leaders are expecting to discuss a formal end to the Korean war. Formally speaking, a peace treaty should involve the US-led United Nations alliance that signed the 1953 armistice that stopped the fighting, but South Korea could pursue a separate agreement, resetting their bilateral relations.

Experts said that the North Korean leader could be deftly manoeuvring Trump into a trap. The White House has said it would maintain its policy of “maximum pressure” on Pyongyang until it disarms completely, but such pressure will be hard to maintain without Chinese and South Korean support, and Beijing and Seoul are more ready to settle for a testing moratorium in return for sanctions relief, a “freeze-for-freeze”.

The Trump administration has previously rejected such a partial deal, but in its desire to claim a diplomatic victory, it might have to settle for far less than it had hoped from the summit with Kim.

“The Trump team are looking to post a win,” Rapp-Hooper said. “So they may be willing to move the goalposts backwards to declare a win, and define down the objectives.”
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

tencats wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:03 pm Signs that the US and North Korea interpretations are worlds apart as Kim Jong-un pledges to keep his country’s arsenal for generations
Mon 23 Apr 2018

:snippity:
Diagnosis: dotus pressing for something spectacular while everyone in the State Departement knows that deals in Asia are about being persistent in slow and careful negotiations. But this WH does not like to listen to the State Department (or what is left of its former glory).
Addie

Post by Addie »

The Daily Beast
North Korea’s Nuclear Test Site Has ‘Collapsed’

North Korea’s underground nuclear test site has become unusable after a large part of it collapsed, Chinese scientists say. Their evidence comes just one week after a surprise announcement from leader Kim Jong Un that North Korea would stop nuclear tests, with one researcher suggesting to the South China Morning Post that the collapse was the real reason for the unexpected suspension. The experts, led by researchers at the University of Science and Technology of China, have warned that another blast in the same spot and with similar yield to one in September, which is believed to have caused the collapse, could lead to “environmental catastrophe.” “The occurrence of the collapse should deem the underground infrastructure beneath mountain Mantap not be used for any future nuclear tests,” said an abstract for the study.

READ IT AT THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

NK says something about not doing any more tests right now and does not do anything, allows FOOLUS to get a chubby about himself, then FOOLUS Gives him hours of propoganda video that he can play to his people for the next 30 years. "Even the mighty America knows to respect the Leader!!"

:evil:
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Suranis wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:41 pm NK says something about not doing any more tests right now and does not do anything, allows FOOLUS to get a chubby about himself, then FOOLUS Gives him hours of propoganda video that he can play to his people for the next 30 years. "Even the mighty America knows to respect the Leader!!"

:evil:
I think it's pretty much established that one must be brain dead in order to not be able to get one over on Trump. :doh: KJU is beating the shit out of Trump and Trump isn't even aware that he's in a fight. He's too busy congratulating himself for bringing KJU to the table elevating DPRK status in the world
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

When will Trump tweet the following?

"My good friends, for the first time in our history, an American president has returned from Korea bringing peace with honour.
I believe it is peace for our time...
Go home and get a nice quiet sleep."

-- Donald, "Neville" Trump
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Trump created a scary situation with North Korea and he will likely get credit for making peace.

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Sterngard Friegen

The two Koreas have done this before — 2000 and 2007 most recently.
Hektor

Post by Hektor »

North Korea goes through phases where it makes the appearance of making concessions. But they tend to be either effectively just words (They have in the past renounced nuclear weapons and signed the NPT) or are things that they can reverse fairly quickly like shutting down the Yongbyon reactor. There are reasons why there's only been an armistice for 65 years, even after the Cold War has ended.

President Trump has not yet have a Nixon goes to China moment, and even if he somehow managed to be wily and unpredictable enough to make a deal, it is unlikely to be meaningful. He's not a details person, and nuclear disarmament is much more about details such as inspections, disposal of fissile material, technology transfers to so the nuclear power doesn't produce more plutonium, etc than it is about broad statements of intent.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Hektor wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:24 pm North Korea goes through phases where it makes the appearance of making concessions. But they tend to be either effectively just words (They have in the past renounced nuclear weapons and signed the NPT) or are things that they can reverse fairly quickly like shutting down the Yongbyon reactor. There are reasons why there's only been an armistice for 65 years, even after the Cold War has ended.

President Trump has not yet have a Nixon goes to China moment, and even if he somehow managed to be wily and unpredictable enough to make a deal, it is unlikely to be meaningful. He's not a details person, and nuclear disarmament is much more about details such as inspections, disposal of fissile material, technology transfers to so the nuclear power doesn't produce more plutonium, etc than it is about broad statements of intent.
:yeah:

Sadly, this is not what Faux news will be talking about when they spoon feed their viewers. It will be portrayed like everything else - Trump has achieved what no other human has ever before.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Sterngard Friegen

The Peace Talks should be somewhere far away from the Korean Peninsula. Like Geneva.

The problem is the North Koreans don't have the equipment to fly there or the money to pay for airplane fuel.

The solution is for Kim, in a sign of unity, to fly together with South Korea's President, on a South Korean plane, to the location of the peace talks.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I have noticed that Kim has effectively taken over the media on this.

Trump is being neutralized.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:20 pm I have noticed that Kim has effectively taken over the media on this.

Where will the meeting between Kim and dotus take place? Any location already fixed? If dotus flies into N.Korea that would be a yuuuge propaganda treat for Kim. Look my people, the US giant is down on the floor and comes and eats from my hand....

To start with a place in between, outside of both countries, would be appropriate. I would suggest Japan, but I think the chemistry between N.Korea and Japan is not the best. China would mean Peking, difficult for the US at the moment. Hongkong could be looked at as a compromize, China but with a certain "independance".
Whip

Post by Whip »

RVInit wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:03 am Trump created a scary situation with North Korea and he will likely get credit for making peace.

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
PIX11 news out of NYC did this last night.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kim Jong-un Demands Human Sacrifice of Mike Pence as Precondition for Summit
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:55 pm
I am totally convinced that Kim is prepared to cruzify him any moment :twisted:

NADT
maydijo

Post by maydijo »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:44 pm
Chilidog wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:20 pm I have noticed that Kim has effectively taken over the media on this.

Where will the meeting between Kim and dotus take place? Any location already fixed? If dotus flies into N.Korea that would be a yuuuge propaganda treat for Kim. Look my people, the US giant is down on the floor and comes and eats from my hand....

To start with a place in between, outside of both countries, would be appropriate. I would suggest Japan, but I think the chemistry between N.Korea and Japan is not the best. China would mean Peking, difficult for the US at the moment. Hongkong could be looked at as a compromize, China but with a certain "independance".
Taiwan, obviously. Nothing controversial in that! :thumbs:
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:04 pm
Kendra wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:55 pm :snippity:
I am totally convinced that Kim is prepared to cruzify him any moment :twisted:

NADT
If I was Seth Rogen, James Franco or the South Park guys, I'd be nervous.
GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

I’m headed to Seoul tomorrow, could be interesting.

Just was wondering how ShitGibbon will react if Kim offers him some KimChe to eat.
Could derail the whole shebang.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

GreatGrey wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:50 am I’m headed to Seoul tomorrow, could be interesting.

Just was wondering how ShitGibbon will react if Kim offers him some KimChe to eat.
Could derail the whole shebang.
Or that one dish of fermented skate wing that smells like an outhouse on fire.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

the trumpeters are in rapture thinking that the reunification of Korea is at hand.

LOL. yes, they are really that stupid.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Just mentally reviewed the timeline of recent events. Anyone remember that report that Mike Pompeo had visited N.Korea over Easter? Remember that very mysterious visit of the top Russian intelligence heads with Pompeo at the CIA in Langley VA in January? i have that gut feeling that the Russian mentors of Kim Jong Un were the brokers to this diplomatic initiative and had asked for that hush hush meeting in January. Would dearly like to know who started the cycle of talks, Kim cause he got squeezed by the sanctions, or the Russians who felt uneasy about a childish move of the WH / dotus?
Sterngard Friegen

No. The Chinese are mentoring Kim.

Return to “Foreign Policy”