North Korea

Hektor

Re: North Korea

Post by Hektor »

Well, to be honest, since Graham didn't learn the term Pyrrhic victory from his cheerleading of the Iraq war, I can't say I'm surprised with this.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:32 pm https:// twitter.com/thehill/status/969756772411035649
The Hill

@thehill

Lindsey Graham: War with North Korea would be "worth it" in the long run
http://
hill.cm/2iBmpq0

8:10 PM - Mar 2, 2018
"All the damage that would come from a war would be worth it in terms of long-term stability and national security," the senator told CNN.

:snippity:

A former national security adviser in the Obama administration on Friday pointed out Graham's comment on Twitter, writing that the senator has "lost his god damn mind.”
Or it might just start WW III.
:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

How much of the US economy is dependant on South Korea?
How much of the US economy is dependant on Taiwan?
How much of the US economy is dependant on China?
How much of the US debt is in the hands of China?
How much military is stuck in Iraq?
How much military is stuck in Syria?
What happens to the military buildup in Afghanistan?
And a hint: the military buildup for the Iraq war was over six months with easy staging areas in Saudi Arabia, Kuweit and a few other countries along the Persian Gulf. For North Korea you don't get just to sweep in thru vast empty desert areas. You pass thru mountainous regions with little alternatives. Once you passed the coast to coast mine barrier and fortifications along the back of the demilitarized zone.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:31 pm
Volkonski wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:32 pm https:// twitter.com/thehill/status/969756772411035649
The Hill

@thehill

Lindsey Graham: War with North Korea would be "worth it" in the long run
hill.cm/2iBmpq0

8:10 PM - Mar 2, 2018
"All the damage that would come from a war would be worth it in terms of long-term stability and national security," the senator told CNN.

:snippity:

A former national security adviser in the Obama administration on Friday pointed out Graham's comment on Twitter, writing that the senator has "lost his god damn mind.”
Or it might just start WW III.
:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

How much of the US economy is dependant on South Korea? Korea is currently our 6th largest goods trading partner with $112.2 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2016
How much of the US economy is dependant on Taiwan? Taiwan is currently our 10th largest goods trading partner with $65.3 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2016
How much of the US economy is dependant on China? China is currently our largest goods trading partner with $578.2 billion in total (two way) goods trade during 2016
How much of the US debt is in the hands of China? About 10%.
How much military is stuck in Iraq? As of Sept 2017 active duty- 7402
How much military is stuck in Syria? 1547
What happens to the military buildup in Afghanistan? was 13329 in Sept 2017
And a hint: the military buildup for the Iraq war was over six months with easy staging areas in Saudi Arabia, Kuweit and a few other countries along the Persian Gulf. For North Korea you don't get just to sweep in thru vast empty desert areas. You pass thru mountainous regions with little alternatives. Once you passed the coast to coast mine barrier and fortifications along the back of the demilitarized zone.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Volky always has the answers!
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Don't know what will come of it but at least they are talking.

Guardian news

@guardiannews

South Korea delegation meets Kim in Pyongyang before historic talks
ebx.sh/2oQyhEv

12:34 PM - Mar 5, 2018
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Dotus will absolutely hate it that he is not part of the show
North Korea praises 'openhearted talk' with South
BY LUIS SANCHEZ - 03/05/18 08:52 PM EST

North Korea offered praise for the “openhearted talk” held Monday in Pyongyang with South Korean envoys, the Associated Press reported, the first bilateral meeting between the neighbors since the death of Kim Jong Il in 2011.

The meeting has been seen as a possible sign that both Koreas are working to improve their relationship, though there is skepticism the communication will lead to enduring peace.

During the dinner, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said he has a “firm will to vigorously advance the north-south relations and write a new history of national reunification by the concerted efforts of our nation to be proud of in the world,” the AP reported.

North Korea has been accused of trying to improve their relationship with South Korea to weaken pressure and sanctions from the U.S.

http://thehill.com/policy/international ... with-south
gupwalla

Post by gupwalla »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:52 am North Korea has been accused of trying to improve their relationship with South Korea to weaken pressure and sanctions from the U.S.
"These sanctions are so onerous, we shall retaliate by making peace with our neighbors and maybe even the whole world! That will show them who's boss!"

Crafty plan, Kim.
In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:52 am Dotus will absolutely hate it that he is not part of the show
Eh, he makes himself part of the show. Has he not been claiming that his macho talk, big button, and sanctions are what brought DPRK to the table? As opposed to, oh I don't know, functioning nuclear weapons allowing them to bargain from position of security?
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

NBC News

@NBCNews

JUST IN: President Trump tells reporters South Korea will make a major announcement on North Korea at 7 p.m. ET.
4:36 PM - Mar 8, 2018
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Whatever this announcement is it is coming from Seoul and not from Washington. If it is good Trump will take credit anyway. ;)
gupwalla

Post by gupwalla »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:13 pm Whatever this announcement is it is coming from Seoul and not from Washington. If it is good Trump will take credit anyway. ;)
If it is good news, he might even deserve to take credit.

Pardon me while I go vomit a little as penance for typing that.
In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

NBC News

@NBCNews

BREAKING: South Koreans have delivered a letter from North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un to the Trump admin., a senior American official tells @NBCNews - @vmsalama
NBCNews.com
gupwalla

Post by gupwalla »

North Korea has agreed to complete de-nuclearization, and Kim wishes to meet with President Trump. Trump hopes to hold such meeting by May. Pressure from US, SK, and allies will continue until North Korea's actions match its words.

Kim's father also had some pretty words about de-nuclearization a decade ago. I wonder whether Kim is truly in charge of his country, or whether he is the fresh-faced puppet and his inner circle pull the big strings. That will be an interesting history to read someday. I'm reminded that when Kim first took charge of NK, he disappeared for weeks and when he came back into public view he had a limp. ("Gout" we suggested.)

One thing I'm very certain of: our constant complaints about how hard it is to get information from within North Korea are complete bullshit. You can't hide from the IoT.

bob

Post by bob »

CBS: South Korean official says Trump has agreed to meet with Kim Jong Un:
South Korea's national security adviser Chung Eui-yong said President Trump has agreed to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong un, and the North is "committed" to denuclearization. The meeting is intended to take place by May.

Chung also said Kim Jong un has agreed to refrain from nuclear testing, and routine joint military exercises between the North and South will continue as planned.
North Korea has been requesting a meeting between heads of state for 25 years now. Kim has learned flattering the president will gain North Korea the legitimacy that it seeks.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Donald can't help himself, he's meeting in May because it's SWEEPS! :lol:

(Each year, Nielsen processes approximately two million paper diaries from households across the country, for the months of November, February, May and July—also known as the "sweeps" rating periods. --Wikipedia)
Avatar: LDIT's Post-election #FAIL record in court. And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Trump never met a brutal dictator that he didn't like. :(
Hektor

Post by Hektor »

We'ren't there supposed to be preconditions before the United States was willing to have bilateral talks with the North?

I'll give Kim Jon-Un credit, he has managed a great series of delays with his diplomatic overtures. He has made no concessions but first with the Olympic gambit and now this has bought his regime time.
optimusprime

Post by optimusprime »

As I remember, Obama was TRASHED by the GOP for even suggesting a meeting with N Korea for peace talks, nuclear disarmament and humanitarian assistance in the face of N Korea being named as a "Axis of Evil" Today, its OK to agree to talks. Excuse me if I will not be surprised that Trump invites Kim to Mar-a-lago or Kim fires off a few ballistic ordnance as #45 lands in Seoul
bob

Post by bob »

optimusprime wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:53 pmAs I remember, Obama was TRASHED by the GOP for even suggesting a meeting with N Korea for peace talks, nuclear disarmament and humanitarian assistance in the face of N Korea being named as a "Axis of Evil" Today, its OK to agree to talks.
Candidate Obama said he would meet with world leaders with no preconditions. Then-president Dubya responded:
Some seem to believe we should negotiate with terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Drumpf's gonna meet face to face with Kim Jong Un? What could possibly go wrong?
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
gupwalla

Post by gupwalla »

bob wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:29 pm
optimusprime wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:53 pmAs I remember, Obama was TRASHED by the GOP for even suggesting a meeting with N Korea for peace talks, nuclear disarmament and humanitarian assistance in the face of N Korea being named as a "Axis of Evil" Today, its OK to agree to talks.
Candidate Obama said he would meet with world leaders with no preconditions. Then-president Dubya responded:
Some seem to believe we should negotiate with terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.
At the time, the Supreme Leader of the DRKP was Kim Jong-Il.

Kim Jong-Un, in contrast, was raised and educated in the West. He is addicted to US Basketball and Hollywood. He's just a different creature than his father.

I've wondered before whether Jong-Un is actually the regime change we sought for North Korea, and whether "Supreme Leader" is really all it means or whether the inner circle of advisers holds most of the practical power. Jong-Un purged a few of those advisers once he came to power; he was also secluded for weeks on end and emerged with some significant physical defects. I can imagine that he might have been tortured for his supposed Westernisms, and then purged his torturers upon emergence in the palace.

At any rate, I'm not at all cynical by today's developments. NK's political patron up to this point has been Russia (not China - they may support DPRK economically but they don't pull the political strings). Russia just proved a month ago that they won't defend their proxies when the proxies get caught in a bad tactical position (see: Wagner mercenaries getting slaughtered when their surprise attack got surprise attacked in Syria). Russia also proved in the last month that it is fine with letting its cyberattacks get attributed to North Korea - I suspect that most attributed NK cyberattacks to date have actually been Russian in origin, but Pyongchang was the first time we called them out on it.

We recently had IC hearings in Washington in which CIA Director Pompeo remarked that he didn't feel that Kim Jong-Un's advisers were being honest with him about his precarious position. I honestly do feel that we finally convinced Kim (and, more importantly, his advisors) that Russia will drop them at the first hint of danger and they'll be on their own without any backup. That ought to be scary for any nation - NK or Syria or otherwise - and I fully believe that Kim and the DPRK apparatus believe that their best bet is to forge some path that relies on local support and not some phantasmal Russian or Chinese backing. I also give credit to DPRK for its "charm offensive" at the Olympics - appearing nice, and maybe even being nice, seems to get more response than shooting missiles across the seas.

But mostly, I remember back to one of 2017's DPRK missle attacks - this was when China's Xi was launching his "One Road" initiative - and the missile seemed to have been misdirected over the China/Russia border instead of out to sea or towards Japan. The White House issued an order that included the very odd statment that "The President cannot imagine Putin is pleased" (or similar). Such an odd statement is a tell. Either we knew that the missile was intended to land where it landed - in which case we were signaling ironic surprise - or else we redirected that missile ourselves and we were letting Putin know that we had some tricks up our sleeves.

(I realize this interpretation depends at least somewhat on my peculiar notion that - despite my significant disagreements with Donald J. Trump on nearly every stated policy proposal he has come up with - I don't see him as a traitor, but rather as corruption-scented flypaper sent into the Russian world to entrap Putin and friends into burning calories supporting the very person who would bring down their criminal-espionage enterprise. So if you don't subscribe to that notion, you might be more cynical about today's NK developments. I understand completely. I'm crazy and that's no reason for you to believe anything I have to say.)

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

X posting from P Trump thread

https://twitter.com/MikeDelMoro/status/ ... 9414445056
Michael Del Moro (@MikeDelMoro)
So the President himself just popped into the WH briefing room and told reporters there is a "major announcement" coming from South Korea on North Korea. He told @jonkarl it was "beyond" talks, and said "hopefully, you will give me credit"
So he is so excited that Un is meeting him that he ran into the Press Room to highlight it, because Un wanting to meet him means he is important??? And he wants credit for Un walking all over him and using him for internal propaganda?

Maybe he will sit up and roll over for Doggie treats and a scritch behind the ear too.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

This South Park episode comes to mind
Chinpokomon Executive: You are American.
South Park Toy Store Owner: Yes.
Chinpokomon Executive: Ohhh, you must have very big penis!
South Park Toy Store Owner: Excuse me, I was just asking you what your up to with these toys.
Chinpokomon Executive: Nothing, we are very simple people with very small penis. Mr. Hosik's penis is especially small!
Mr. Hosik: So small.
Chinpokomon Executive: We cannot achieve so much with such small penis, but you American wow, penis so big, so big penis!
South Park Toy Store Owner: Well aah I guess it is pretty good size.
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

If any good can come from this, Trump will screw it up. He knows nothing about negotiating and has essentially disbanded the State Department, those who could actually accomplish something. I'd lay odds the first demand Trump will make is that NC dismantle all their nuke toys. The last thing Kim Ung will ever agree to.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 »

South Koreans have delivered a letter from North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un to the Trump admin., a senior American official tells
Reports are it was just a verbal letter
I'd feel better if there was a signed paper letter stating all that was verbalized by the South Koreans about what the North Koreans told them to say...

Return to “Foreign Policy”