North Korea

RTH10260

Re: North Korea

Post by RTH10260 »

Does Trump really want to go thru with a provocation?
LL poster wrote:NORTH KOREA WARNS A NUCLEAR STRIKE IF ATTACKED & 'READY FOR WAR

Today a propaganda newspaper in North Korea’s capital of Pyongyang upped the ante further with a saber-rattling editorial.

They said: “Our revolutionary strong army is keenly watching every move by enemy elements with our nuclear sight focused on the US invasionary bases not only in South Korea and the Pacific operation theater but also in the US mainland.

“We never beg for peace but we will take the toughest counteraction against the provocateurs in order to defend ourselves by powerful force of arms and keep to the road chosen by ourselves.”

Another newspaper added: “The present US administration would be well advised to give up the plan for a preemptive attack from which the
predecessors sustained failures.
[liveleak]651fa5451a6d[/liveleak]

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: LDIT Supporters are "Shooketh"! -- Ali Akbar 11/29/20 #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Donald and Xi talked today. Reuters:
Chinese state tabloid warns North Korea against nuclear test
Tue Apr 11, 2017 | 10:34pm EDT
Trump, who has urged China to do more to rein in its impoverished ally and neighbor, said in a tweet that North Korea was "looking for trouble" and the United States would "solve the problem" with or without Beijing's help.

The Korean Peninsula has not been so close to a "military clash" since North Korea conducted its first nuclear test in 2006, China's influential state-run tabloid the Global Times said in an editorial. "Not only [is] Washington brimming with confidence and arrogance following the missile attacks on Syria, but Trump is also willing to be regarded as a man who honors his promises," the paper, run by the ruling Communist Party's official People's Daily, said.

"The U.S. is making up its mind to stop the North from conducting further nuclear tests. It doesn't plan to co-exist with a nuclear-armed Pyongyang," it said. "Pyongyang should avoid making mistakes at this time."

The Global Times, whose stance does not equate with Chinese government policy, said that Beijing would likely react strongly to any North Korean test. "If the North makes another provocative move this month, the Chinese society will be willing to see the (U.N. Security Council) adopt severe restrictive measures that have never been seen before, such as restricting oil imports to the North," the paper said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-north ... ce=twitter

This happened before but China sent an official letter April 7.
Exclusive: North Korean ships head home after China orders coal returned
Tue Apr 11, 2017 | 6:01am EDT

A fleet of North Korean cargo ships is heading home to the port of Nampo, the majority of it fully laden, after China ordered its trading companies to return coal from the isolated country, shipping data shows.

Following repeated missile tests that drew international criticism, China banned all imports of North Korean coal on Feb. 26, cutting off the country's most important export product.

To curb coal traffic between the two countries, China's customs department issued an official order on April 7 telling trading companies to return their North Korean coal cargoes, said three trading sources with direct knowledge of the order.
A source at Dandong Chengtai, one of China's biggest buyers of North Korean coal, said the company had 600,000 tonnes of North Korean coal sitting at various ports, and a total of 2 million tonnes was stranded at Chinese ports. Eikon data shows that most of these ships have recently left Chinese coal ports, including Weihai and Peng Lai, returning to North Korea full or mostly filled with cargo.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china ... SKBN17D0D8

:sharky;

Avatar: President Joe Biden at Age 25 in 1967! 🇺🇸 Hey, don't miss Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring titular Mama June returns 3/21. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS
Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Well. North Korea wanted attention, now they've got it. Particularly from a temper tantrum throwing prone two year old.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
maydijo

Post by maydijo »

Just knowing that China is acting with diplomacy makes me feel a great deal better. Which is completely warped, because I shouldn't be in a position where I trust the Chinese government more than the US government.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, and 4 granddogs and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

maydijo wrote:Just knowing that China is acting with diplomacy makes me feel a great deal better. Which is completely warped, because I shouldn't be in a position where I trust the Chinese government more than the US government.
:like:

"Why Iron-man and why not Fe-male? This joke is not for everyone." - Monde Mobsinner Bakaqana to The Science Nerds on Twitter.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

What's that sound? I'm not hearing anything. I'm trying, but I'm just not hearing rwnj screaming about how the President is so WEAK that he can't even deal with North Korea, he has to get the Chinese to do it for him. Why aren't they screaming about how WEAK Trump is?

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill
Foreign journalists in North Korea told to expect a 'big and important event'

Foreign journalists in North Korea have reportedly been told to prepare for a "big and important event" on Thursday.

North North Korean officials provided no details about the nature of the event or its location, according to a report by Reuters.

200 foreign journalists are in Pyongyang ahead of the nation's biggest national holiday, the "Day of the Sun." ...

North Korean officials have previously made similar declarations to the foreign press that have ended up being largely unsubstantiated, according to the report.

Some speculate, however, that North Korea will seek to showcase its military arsenal in light of the ongoing standoff with the U.S. over its nuclear program.

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
listeme

Post by listeme »

I retweeted a little while ago:
It's still very hard to tell these days where your anxiety disorder ends and where actual news begins.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Addie wrote:The Hill
:snippity: .
Ha - Kim will put them in the front line for his next nu-cu-ler test - guinea pigs and such :twisted:

maydijo

Post by maydijo »

An excellent primer on the situation in North Korea

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-1 ... sh/8439370

Basic take home message: North Korea won't start anything unless they are forced to protect the Kim dynasty. If the US starts something it will end badly.

qbawl

Post by qbawl »

maydijo wrote:Just knowing that China is acting with diplomacy makes me feel a great deal better. Which is completely warped, because I shouldn't be in a position where I trust the Chinese government more than the US government.
It is truly sad that this is the totally appropriate position to hold. To quote Thomas Jefferson quoting Jared Kushner "May you live in interesting times."

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: LDIT Supporters are "Shooketh"! -- Ali Akbar 11/29/20 #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

The Express story is sourced from PRAVDA. There have been rumors of China troop buildup on the border, 150K reported, they denied. Other reports of 25K. Haven't seen other evacuation stories yet.
Kim Jong-Un ‘orders IMMEDIATE EVACUATION of Pyongyang’ as tensions with US escalate
NORTH Korea leader Kim Jong-un has reportedly ordered residents of the country’s capital Pyongyang to leave the city immediately, sparking fears he may be preparing for war.
By Sofia Petkar PUBLISHED: 04:35, Thu, Apr 13, 2017 | UPDATED: 07:15, Thu, Apr 13, 2017

Reports in Russian newspaper Pravda Report claim more than 600,000 people - around 25 per cent of the city’s population - are being urgently evacuated, as tensions escalate between North Korea and the United States.

According to South Korean media, residents in the kingdom have said goodbye to each other, sparking concerns the tyrannical leader could be about to act after months of nuclear weapon testing.

Foreign reporters have been told to prepare for a “big and important event" on North Korea's biggest national celebration, called ‘Day of the Sun’.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/791 ... evacuation

And this from PRAVDA itself:
Yet another escalation may happen on 15 April, when North Korea may carry out testing of an intercontinental ballistic missile. By the way, launch of this missile may be dedicated to celebration of the 105th Birthday Anniversary of the legendary North Koran leader Kim Il-sung. The Pentagon fears that Pyongyang may even conduct a nuclear testing on 25 of April when 85th Anniversary of the Korean people's army will be celebrated.

Authorities in Seoul have warned that in case of a provocation from Pyongyang on this holiday, troops of South Korea will be put on war footing. And in this situation any flame may set up fire of a regional war, where North Korea, South Korea, Japan and the US will be involved.

A famous Russian Orientalist scholar Andrey Lankov, who has worked in Seoul for a long time, warns though that if the US carries out a military strike against the North Korean facilities, retaliatory strike of Pyongyang may create a real threat for lives of 25 million residents of Seoul, which is just on the border. 'In this case a new Korean war is inevitable,' the scientist warns. Former US Defence Secretary Ash Carter has also warned: a preventive military strike of the US against strategic facilities of North Korea may push leader of the country Kim Jong-un into invasion of South Korea.

Carter, who was Head of the Pentagon under Obama's Administration, has claimed, that he's sure that as a result of this war military potential of North Korea would be completely annihilated, but this victory might be won at the expense of great human losses.
http://www.pravdareport.com/world/asia/ ... 82-dprk-0/

Seems like a lot of coordination between Russia and North Korea.

Avatar: President Joe Biden at Age 25 in 1967! 🇺🇸 Hey, don't miss Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring titular Mama June returns 3/21. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS
Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

The one positive thing here, if you can call it that, is that China is intimately familiar with the crazy that is NK, after all they have propped it and the Kim dynasty up for lo these many years. They know he, and by extension, the whole lot of the family, are crazy dangerous egomaniacs. China is what is propping what is laughably called the NK economy up, and it has to be a considerable drain on China even getting the coal and such they are from NK. I am quite sure they realize, that if he gets to start throwing bombs around, as close as NK is to China there will be disastrous fallout, in all senses of the words, and I can't for a minute imagine they want that. I think that is the reason they are being reasonable and "diplomatic", they have a horse in this race they don't want scratched, namely themselves. I would expect that they will try and reign Kim in before things get too far out of hand, if that is not already too late, but the problem I see is that he may have started believing his own PR and gotten past listening to them and they may have to step in and deal with it decisively rather than let the US get involved as is looking to happen now. I would think the last thing they want is a shooting or nuclear war on their doorstep.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

There are evacuation stories in the domestic alt-right media but nothing so far in a respectable publication.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Addie wrote:The Hill

Foreign journalists in North Korea have reportedly been told to prepare for a "big and important event" on Thursday.

North North Korean officials provided no details about the nature of the event or its location, according to a report by Reuters.

200 foreign journalists are in Pyongyang ahead of the nation's biggest national holiday, the "Day of the Sun." ...

North Korean officials have previously made similar declarations to the foreign press that have ended up being largely unsubstantiated, according to the report.

Some speculate, however, that North Korea will seek to showcase its military arsenal in light of the ongoing standoff with the U.S. over its nuclear program.
It was some new buildings.

Kim Jong Un invites the world to see his new symbol of strength

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/13/asia/kim- ... ppearance/
Not a missile launch site or research facility, but a housing estate.

:snippity:

The development, called Ryomyong Street, is a mammoth project of 3,600 flats and various high rises, the tallest topping out at 70 stories.

:snippity:

Kim, himself, did not speak. He stepped up to cut the red ribbon to open his latest triumph. Balloons were released into the air and the cheering grew louder.

Then he turned, and walked back to his black Mercedes limousine, driving off without a word to the waiting crowds.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Addie

Post by Addie »

Thanks, Volki. Housing, not nuclear weapons -- always better. :swoon:

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Addie

Post by Addie »

NBC News
U.S. May Launch Strike If North Korea Reaches For Nuclear Trigger

The U.S. is prepared to launch a preemptive strike with conventional weapons against North Korea should officials become convinced that North Korea is about to follow through with a nuclear weapons test, multiple senior U.S. intelligence officials told NBC News.

North Korea has warned that a "big event" is near, and U.S. officials say signs point to a nuclear test that could come as early as this weekend.

The intelligence officials told NBC News that the U.S. has positioned two destroyers capable of shooting Tomahawk cruise missiles in the region, one just 300 miles from the North Korean nuclear test site.

American heavy bombers are also positioned in Guam to attack North Korea should it be necessary, and earlier this week, the Pentagon announced that the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier strike group was being diverted to the area.

listeme

Post by listeme »

I mean, what congressional permissions/authorizations are needed here?

Everything is terrible.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.
NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

listeme wrote:I mean, what congressional permissions/authorizations are needed here?

Everything is terrible.
Indeed it is. Congress seems powerless and/or unwilling to stop Trump from doing whatever he pleases. Where are the Dems, where are our congress critters, who should be screaming from the rooftops? I can't think of a single reason why rational people shouldn't be feeling full-bore panic right now. I am.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

If Kim Jong Un conducts yet another nuclear test, why does the United States have to take military action?

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
Jim

Post by Jim »

Because there's another Republican idiot in the White House. Shoot first and worry about the consequences later.

Hektor

Post by Hektor »

Well, I wouldn't worry folks. Donald Trump is a man who conducts diplomacy in a careful, well thought out manner. I'm sure he's brought in many experts from Foggy Bottom, the CIA and the Pentagon to help him simulate a wide-ranging series of scenarios in which he will make cold careful calculations on how best to manage this volatile situation.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Ok, thanks. I feel better now.

:sick:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Jim wrote:Because there's another Republican idiot in the White House. Shoot first and worry about the consequences later.
While we may not have to total picture of the happenings during the Syria attack, the press reported that Trump was informed during his dinner with the Chinese guests that the missile carrying ships had arrived at their position, and Trump then gave the command to attack while munching a bigly chocolate cake.

What worries me is that there was, as far we know, no further conference in the Situation Room, for a last discussion if any new last minute argument had turned up against an attack. We neither know to what extent that the situation room was manned and prepared to handle the fallout. WhatIFF a Tomahawk had hit an unintended target, whatIFF one of the parties would have reacted unexpectedly?

I fear for the outcome if the US Trump sends in missiles while N.K. prepares a fresh nuclear test (or after). The US Navy being outside of the reach of N.K. army I would not be surprised if some US base In South Korea would be the target of a retaliation attack, with whatever collateral damage to areas nearby (I don't trust that N.K. is able of real pinpoint attacks).

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

It is absolutely forbidden to take photos of #KimJongUn family statues from the back. Eric Lafforgue did. #Fatty3 #NorthKorea #DPRK
Kim.JPG
Great photo gallery of banned photos at http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest- ... e-tomahawk#
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Foreign Policy”