North Korea

TollandRCR

Re: North Korea

Post by TollandRCR »

I am not sure that this 42-minute North Korean propaganda documentary has been posted. It is well worth watching, although the NYT article in which it is embedded is essential if you do not happen to speak Korean.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/15/worl ... -film.html

The narrator's voice is familiar, that of the highly emotional worshiper of Kim we have heard before.

I am impressed with how sophisticated this video is. My impression is that most North Koreans will not ever see it, being without ekectricity or televisions. So who is the intended audience?

The Pyongyang elite are surely part of the audience, but was this made solely for them? I doubt it. South Koreans may be the largest target audience. The Western world may also be a target. It is easy to watch this video and see evidence that North Korea is a successful member of the family of developed nations. The pictures of Pyongyang are stunning even when you kmow how poorly they represent the country.

Singapore was the ideal location for this meeting -- the world's best airport, the mosr highly developed island on the planet, a bridge between East and West.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

I asked my Korean apprentice whether S. Koreans believed Trump's breezy claims that "N. Korea is no longer a threat."

He replied "We are so used to nothing believable coming from Kim that we don't pay any attention to what Trump says either."

Heh.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

bob wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:35 am LOOKING GREAT AT 239 POUNDS!

The other 80 pounds look like a sack of shit, though.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky
bob

Post by bob »

Not its best work, but considering the source material....
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Julian Borger

Verified account

@julianborger
Follow Follow @julianborger
More
DefSec Jim Mattis says he is "not aware" of any North Korean steps towards denuclearisation, saying "detailed negotiations have not begun".

3:05 PM - 20 Jun 2018
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:51 am

FYI, The little appearance of the tongue / quick swipe of the lips is a tell for lying.
I thought it meant he’s a lizard.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Whatever4 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:16 am
p0rtia wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:51 am

FYI, The little appearance of the tongue / quick swipe of the lips is a tell for lying.
I thought it meant he’s a lizard.
It's both!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News

Verified account

@ABC
Following Following @ABC
More
Pres. Trump, while addressing the Nevada Republican Party Convention speaks to denuclearization of North Korea, his relationship with Kim Jong Un: "We have a good chemistry together... we have a great chairman – Kim – we have a great chemistry." https://abcn.ws/2MjHZcy
Sadly, I think that might be true.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm sure KJU agrees, they have a great relationship. KJU speaks and Trump wags his tail.

Nothing about being attacked by NK huh?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:16 pm https:// twitter.com/ABC/status/1010610451007197184
ABC News @ABC

Pres. Trump, while addressing the Nevada Republican Party Convention speaks to denuclearization of North Korea, his relationship with Kim Jong Un: "We have a good chemistry together... we have a great chairman – Kim – we have a great chemistry." https://abcn.ws/2MjHZcy
Sadly, I think that might be true.
Except dotus forgets that chemistry has a tendency to go pufff once in a while and backfire. Chances are he will be standing in the wrong place at the wrong time. :blackeye:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

From The Hill -

Satellite images show North Korea upgrading nuclear research facility: report
Satellite images from last week show that North Korea is making numerous improvements to the infrastructure at a nuclear research facility, according to a new study.

The images, obtained by North Korea analysis outlet 38 North, come just weeks after President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un signed an agreement that called for a denuclearized Korean peninsula.

The satellite photos indicate that North Korea is quickly progressing on several adjustments to the Yongbyon Nuclear Scientific Research Center.

The improvements include a new cooling water pump house, multiple new buildings, completed construction on a cooling water reservoir and an apparently active Radiochemical Laboratory. It is unclear whether the reactor is still in operation, the report said.
Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Wonder why Clump hasn't been tweeting about how great North Korea and Kim are lately?
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Kim and dotus only agreed to work towards a solution, no time frame set. And following their meeting Pompeo mentioned that arrangment for talks had still to be set up. Also too Kim can say these upgrades are for civilian research. I bet they are replacing facilities lost in the collapsed mountain.
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Too early to look, but wasn't it last week we heard the WH sent a notice to congress that NK is still every bit the threat they ever were? Now we know what that was about.
ImageImageImage x4
NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

North Korea working to conceal key aspects of its nuclear program, U.S. officials say
U.S. intelligence officials, citing newly obtained evidence, have concluded that North Korea does not intend to fully surrender its nuclear stockpile, and instead is considering ways to conceal the number of weapons it has and secret production facilities, according to U.S. officials.

The evidence, collected in the wake of the June 12 summit in Singapore, points to preparations to deceive the United States about the number of nuclear warheads in North Korea’s arsenal as well as the existence of undisclosed facilities used to make fissile material for nuclear bombs, the officials said.

The findings support a new, previously undisclosed Defense Intelligence Agency estimate that North Korea is unlikely to denuclearize.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 2052fdbf52
Am I being detained?
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

As expected by many. Will Trump believe it when they tell him that Kim is not denuclearizing?
Hektor

Post by Hektor »

Trump will not admit anything that makes him look like a chump to his base.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Hektor wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:46 am Trump will not admit anything that makes him look like a chump to his base.
Nor will the base. It'll be the usual "fake news."

We need a powerful press, and it's at a time when the press is weakening.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

The Guardian
Verified account

@guardian
Following Following @guardian
More
Trump: 'possible' North Korea nuclear deal may not 'work out'

10:23 AM - 1 Jul 2018
President tells Fox he did not make concessions to Kim Jong-un

Trump in fact agreed to end military exercises with South Korea
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:36 am https:// twitter.com/guardian/status/1013442919511089153

The Guardian
Verified account @guardian

Trump: 'possible' North Korea nuclear deal may not 'work out'

10:23 AM - 1 Jul 2018
President tells Fox he did not make concessions to Kim Jong-un

Trump in fact agreed to end military exercises with South Korea
dimwit-in-command does not realize that he only signed a statement of intent and not a deal? That even Pompeo stated that talks to formulate a deal had still to begin? Noone is anywhere near to finalize "stuff". Now dotus just needs to make one wrong step and threaten Kim and dotus will sabotage a possible positive outcome of his meeting :blackeye: :brickwallsmall:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Doesn't matter. Only he can fix it! Unlike every president EVAH, he met with Kim Jong-un and made a deal. Take that, Libtards!
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:22 am As expected by many. Will Trump believe it when they tell him that Kim is not denuclearizing?
Eh, it is not a question of Trump believing or not, but his supporters in the media. Given how much effort has been put in to painting the intelligence community as incompetent, they could easily spin it as DPRK is complying with Trump and the CIA is wrong or corrupt.
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

All I know is we don't ever have to worry about NK nuking us again. Trump told me so. Not that I was ever worried. Kim got Trump's personal attention. Kim is legitimate now. Kim would be holding his breath until he turned blue if Trump would have continued Obama's approach.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

As long as the sanctions stay in place, I don't care what Trump or Kim says. The latest round - put together by a rarely-unified Senate - appear to have seriously hurt the Kim clan's palace economy. I again note that KJU promised his people the lifting of sanctions, even though the US agreed to no such thing. That signals that the sanctions are hurting important people in DPRK society -people he has to keep happy. And I like that John Bolton is saying the US has concrete expectations of NK the next year.
This bramble need not be traversed.

Return to “Foreign Policy”