Cuba

Addie

Cuba

Post by Addie » Thu May 21, 2015 7:51 am

New York Times

U.S. and Cuba Nearing Deal to Fully Restore Diplomatic Ties

The United States and Cuba are closer than ever to reaching an agreement to fully restore diplomatic relations and reopen embassies, officials in both countries say, as negotiators prepare to meet Thursday in Washington for another round of talks to iron out remaining details and discuss possible dates.

The move toward full diplomatic relations broken decades ago during the Cold War has been seen as a key step toward ending hostilities and normalizing ties with a historic opponent that once agreed to allow Soviet nuclear missiles on its soil and repelled an invasion by American-backed insurgents.

Yet progress toward full diplomatic relations has not gone as swiftly as initially hoped in December, when President Obama and President Raúl Castro of Cuba first committed to restoring ties in a surprise announcement

Now, with a number of obstacles out of the way or close to it, particularly for the Cubans, the talks have reached the most optimistic point after four rounds of conversations in Havana and Washington.

Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Dolly

Cuba

Post by Dolly » Sun May 24, 2015 9:40 pm

Gee, I wonder if Congress might try to delay confirmation of an ambassador to Cuba the way they delayed Loretta Lynch? :-k

Reminds me of:

Mexico ambassador nominee withdraws

Maria Echaveste hadn’t gotten a hearing for six months.

http://thefogbow.com/forum/topic/4914-2 ... /?p=615944

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Addie

Cuba

Post by Addie » Fri May 29, 2015 11:36 am

ABC News US Drops Cuba from State Terrorism List, Paving the Way for Embassies The State Department announced today that Cuba is no longer a state sponsor of terrorism, paving the way for full diplomatic recognition and an opening of embassies.It has been 45 days since President Obama announced plans to remove Cuba from the list of nations that support terrorism and there has been no attempt by Congress to stop the action. ...Removing the terror designation would also lift some trade barriers against Cuba. But the overall embargo would remain, requiring congressional action to reverse.Sources tell ABC News today's action paves the way to opening embassies in Havana and Washington. An announcement on that move may come as early as next week. 

esseff44

Cuba

Post by esseff44 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:09 pm

I was waiting for this to happen.  Naturally, the GOP House majority were going to pass something to hinder the president's new policy on Cuba.  And they did.  They attached to another piece of legislation.  The White House has said the president has been advised to veto it.http://www.ticotimes.net/2015/06/02/whi ... l-curbsThe field of prospective Republican presidential candidates includes Marco Rubio and Jeb Bush, both of whom have their political base in Florida and have close ties to the Cuban-American community.Is there a name missing from that list?  Or is Cruz not welcome in Florida?

Addie

Cuba

Post by Addie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:03 pm

Associated Press Leahy Heads US Senate Delegation to Cuba Ahead of EmbassiesA bipartisan delegation of U.S. senators was in Cuba on Friday to meet with top government officials and others to discuss the ongoing rapprochement between the two countries.The United States and Cuba announced on Dec. 17 they would move to restore diplomatic ties that were severed more than 50 years ago, but talks on reopening embassies have yet to yield an agreement six months later.Asked when that might happen, Vermont Sen. Patrick Leahy said, "the sooner the better.""I'm glad to see things are changing between our countries, and the more they change, the faster they change, the better for both countries," he said in brief remarks as the lawmakers left their Havana hotel and boarded a bus.

Addie

Cuba

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:35 pm

CNNhttp://www.cnn.com/2015/06/30/politics/u-s-cub ... ationship/ U.S. And Cuba To Announce Embassy OpeningsWashington (CNN)The United States and Cuba on Wednesday plan to officially seal the renewal of diplomatic ties begun last year, announcing the reopening of embassies in Washington and Havana for the first time in more than half-a-century, two senior administration officials told CNN on Tuesday."We will formally announce tomorrow that the United States and Cuba have reached an agreement to re-establish formal diplomatic relations and open embassies in each other's capitals," one senior U.S. administration official said. "We expect President Obama and Secretary Kerry to address this publicly tomorrow morning."The re-establishing of embassies is a final step in the full diplomatic thaw President Barack Obama initiated in December. Since then, the United States has loosened some travel restrictions to Cuba and allowed for some new economic ties.In April, Obama met with Raul Castro during a summit meeting in Panama, the first time the leaders of Cuba and the United States had met in more than 50 years.

esseff44

Cuba

Post by esseff44 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:18 pm

This makes me so happy that I am going to go out tonight and have a mojita.

Lani

Cuba

Post by Lani » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:10 am

Keep that legacy coming, Mr. President!
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Addie

Cuba

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:09 pm

"We don't have to be imprisoned by the past." 

Sterngard Friegen

Cuba

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:22 pm

All those barn finds waiting to happen!

Addie

Cuba

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:39 am

The Hillhttp://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/246657-cruz-cuba-embassy-a-slap-in-the-face-to-israel Cruz: Cuba embassy a 'slap in the face' to Israel Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) slammed Obama's decision to reopen the U.S. embassy in Cuba, suggesting that it was a "slap in the face" to Israel.The administration announced on Wednesday that it has told lawmakers that a deal has been reached to re-establish diplomatic ties with Cuba and reopen embassies.Cruz, who is running for president, called Obama's announcement "unacceptable and a slap in the face of a close ally that the United States will have an embassy in Havana before one in Jerusalem."The United States currently has an embassy in Tel Aviv, but Cruz has repeatedly called for the embassy to be moved to Jerusalem.

Addie

Cuba

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:03 pm

Reutershttp://www.ibnlive.com/news/lifestyle/cubans-g ... 15369.html Cubans get access to Wi-Fi across 35 spots across the nationHavana:Cuba has opened 35 Wi-Fi access points nationwide, offering unprecedented online access in a country that until now has restricted use of the Internet to an elite few.Before the Wi-Fi signals became available on Wednesday, broadband Internet access had been limited to largely to desktops at state Internet parlors and pricey hotels. ...The Cuban government also slashed prices from $4.50 to $2 an hour, still exorbitant for Cubans, who typically earn a monthly salary of about $20.Many Cubans suspect the new development is related to the recent warming of U.S.-Cuba relations. The two former Cold War rivals on Wednesday agreed to reopen embassies and restore diplomatic relations as of July 20. In January, U.S. President Barack Obama relaxed the U.S. economic embargo for telecommunications, hoping to promote the Internet in Cuba. 

SueDB

Cuba

Post by SueDB » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:23 pm

Reutershttp://www.ibnlive.com/news/lifestyle/cubans-g ... 15369.html Cubans get access to Wi-Fi across 35 spots across the nationHavana:Cuba has opened 35 Wi-Fi access points nationwide, offering unprecedented online access in a country that until now has restricted use of the Internet to an elite few.Before the Wi-Fi signals became available on Wednesday, broadband Internet access had been limited to largely to desktops at state Internet parlors and pricey hotels. ...The Cuban government also slashed prices from $4.50 to $2 an hour, still exorbitant for Cubans, who typically earn a monthly salary of about $20.Many Cubans suspect the new development is related to the recent warming of U.S.-Cuba relations. The two former Cold War rivals on Wednesday agreed to reopen embassies and restore diplomatic relations as of July 20. In January, U.S. President Barack Obama relaxed the U.S. economic embargo for telecommunications, hoping to promote the Internet in Cuba. O'Bama's busy turning the key in the lock.  Who knows what will spring from the Cuban treasure chest?
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

SueDB

Cuba

Post by SueDB » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:58 pm

Ahhhh... broadband .... we got 'em where we want 'em ... after 50 years and all it took was O'Bama!
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

esseff44

Cuba

Post by esseff44 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:02 pm

Doncha think our former SOS had sumpin' to do with getting the ball ready to roll?

Addie

Cuba

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:34 am

New York Times U.S. Embassy in Cuba Reopens After More Than 50 YearsHAVANA — After more than a half-century defined by mistrust and rancor, the United States officially reopened its six-story embassy in the Cuban capital on Monday, the culmination of many months of negotiations to overcome decades of historical enmity and to restore diplomatic relations between the two nations.More than two years of effort went into restoring relations between Cuba and the United States, both public and private, yet most observers say they believe it will be many more years before mutual wariness fades. ...But for now, the reopening of the embassy on the Malecón waterfront in Havana, previously used as an interests section, a limited diplomatic outpost, stands as the most concrete symbol yet of the thaw set in motion last year when President Obama ordered the full restoration of diplomatic ties between the countries. ...If Cubans are expecting bells and canapés to celebrate the nuptials, they will be sorely disappointed. The official celebration to inaugurate the American Embassy will not take place until later in the summer, when Secretary of State John Kerry plans to visit, to formally raise the flag and install the new signage. 

Addie

Cuba

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:44 am

WaPohttp://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/on-sult ... ory.htmlOn sultry morning, old Cold War foes restore full diplomatic tiesOne of the remaining hallmarks of the Cold War passed into history in a near-empty State Department on Monday as the Cuban flag joined the array of nations with full diplomatic relations with the United States.Only a few early risers were on hand to mark the pre-dawn transition — the latest in a step-by-step process to bury 54 years of diplomatic estrangement. A worker in a short-sleeve shirt slipped Cuba’s single-star flag into the line of national colors at the State Department’s C Street entrance. ...But the real moment passed with just a tick of the clock.At the stroke of midnight, records will show both nations became full diplomatic partners — a quiet evolution after decades of high drama that included the failed Bay of Pigs invasion seeking to unseat a young Fidel Castro, the missile standoff with Cuba’s Soviet sponsors that tested President Kennedy and boat loads of desperate refugees trying to reach Florida’s shores.Monday’s events culminate President Obama’s stunning declaration in December of America’s intent to reverse its isolation and embargo policies against Cuba, whose pro-American regime fell before Obama was even born.

Foggy

Cuba

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:26 am

The world I grew up in is no more.I don't miss it none, either.
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

ZekeB

Cuba

Post by ZekeB » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:18 am

The world I grew up in is no more.I don't miss it none, either.We're still at war somewhere.  In my nearly 65 years on this earth we've been at peace for less than a dozen of those years.  Nothing changes.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Addie

Cuba

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:18 pm

CBS Newshttp://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-news-poll-resu ... h-cuba/CBS News poll: Resuming relations with CubaAs Cuba and the U.S. are about to officially resume diplomatic ties for the first time in 54 years, 58 percent of Americans favor re-establishing diplomatic relations between the two countries, while just 24 percent oppose. Seventy-two percent of Democrats and 55 percent of independents support re-establishing diplomatic relations with Cuba, while Republicans are divided, with 44 percent in favor.Americans have long supported this move. When Gallup asked a version of this question back in 1977, 53 percent of Americans thought diplomatic relations with Cuba should be re-established.Still, the U.S. trade embargo against Cuba remains in place, a situation which the Castro regime has warned will continue to be a barrier against full normalization of relations between the two countries. Fifty-four percent of Americans favor the United States government ending its trade embargo against Cuba, including most Republicans (52 percent) and Democrats (62 percent), and a plurality of independents (49 percent).Evaluations of President Barack Obama's handling of relations with Cuba have improved since the rapprochement was first announced last December. Fifty percent of Americans now approve of his handling of U.S.-Cuba relations, up from 44 percent at the end of last year.

esseff44

Cuba

Post by esseff44 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:34 pm

I have my Cuba flag lapel pin from my Cuba and, of course, my US flag pin on the other lapel of my coat I will wear to the dog park tonight.  I also have had a beer mug stowed away for the occasion.  It was a departing gift from the civil engineer who built the hotel in Las Terraces.  It was handmade from local materials and he said it was his own favorite mug.  It is a treasured item and now it's time to pull it out from it's  place of safe-keeping for a toast to a long, healthy, mutually beneficial relationship with our  cousins.in Cuba.Viva Cuba Libre!  Y Viva Los Estados Unidos! 

Addie

Re: Cuba

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:31 pm

AFP
Half of Cuba's field hockey team defects during Pan Am games

Toronto (Canada) (AFP) - Half of the Cuban men's field hockey team at the Pan American Games in Toronto defected to the United States, a player and sources close to the Cuban delegation said.

The sources said eight of the 16 Cuban players had deserted, while team member Roger Aguilera put the number at seven, just the latest in a rash of Cuban defections across several sports.

"Everyone knows what happened to our team, we have seven of them in the United States," said Aguilera, after the decimated Cubans were hammered 13-0 by Trinidad and Tobago.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:11 pm

Associated Press
AP Exclusive: Cuba dissidents won't attend US Embassy event

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration doesn't plan to invite Cuban dissidents to Secretary of State John Kerry's historic flag-raising at the U.S. Embassy in Havana on Friday, vividly illustrating how U.S. policy is shifting focus from the island's opposition to its single-party government. Instead, Kerry intends to meet more quietly with prominent activists later in the day, officials said.

The Cuban opposition has occupied the center of U.S. policy toward the island since the nations cut diplomatic relations in 1961. The Cuban government labels its domestic opponents as traitorous U.S. mercenaries. As the two countries have moved to restore relations, Cuba has almost entirely stopped meeting with American politicians who visit dissidents during trips to Havana.

That presented a quandary for U.S. officials organizing the ceremony to mark the reopening of the embassy on Havana's historic waterfront. Inviting dissidents would risk a boycott by Cuban officials including those who negotiated with the U.S. after Presidents Barack Obama and Raul Castro declared detente on Dec. 17. Excluding dissidents would certainly provoke fierce criticism from opponents of Obama's new policy, including Cuban-American Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio.

Officials familiar with the plans for Kerry's visit, the first by a sitting U.S. secretary of state to Cuba since World War II, told The Associated Press that a compromise was in the works. The dissidents won't be invited to the embassy event but a small group will meet with Kerry at the U.S. chief of mission's home in the afternoon, where a lower-key, flag-raising ceremony is scheduled.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:11 am

I would dearly like to see a posting of statistics (or pictures) of all Cuban-American politicians at all levels of government in all states. My impression is that the vast majority come from the racial category that the CIA calls "white" (64.1% of Cuba's population). Cuba also has 26.6% "mestizo" and 9.3% black. Many of the most prominent families of Cuban-Americans fled to the U.S. before Batista fell and were able to bring some of their possessions with them, perhaps even some of their wealth.

Among the white Cubans were the oppressors whose wealth derived from vast plantations in which serfs labored under harsh conditions. Most of the serfs were blacks.

For a long time our initial Cuban-American immigrants sought the overthrow of the Castro regime, some for good reasons, some so that their properties could be restored.

Some of these white Cubans fled well after the overthrow of Batista; some of them (such as Cruz) seem as committed to the overthrow of the Castro regime as their fathers and grandfathers.

It is exclusively or primarily these white Cubans who have opposed the normalization of relations with Cuba. Some of them have denied being Hispanics.

For a bit of background New York Times Why Are Cubans So Special? http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/30/opini ... .html?_r=0

I'd like to see some black faces among those opposed to normalization.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:15 pm

Associated Press Feed
The Latest: Kerry Visit Gives Old Havana Locals 'Goosebumps'

HAVANA — The latest on ceremonies to raise the U.S. flag over the embassy in Havana after 54 years of broken diplomatic relations:

___

5 p.m.

Junia Perez got a big surprise while out walking in the Cuban capital's historic Old Havana neighborhood — she stumbled on U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry making a quick sightseeing stroll.

The 44-year-old Perez says she never dreamed that she would ever run across Washington's top diplomat.

In Perez's words: "It gave me goosebumps!"

Return to “Foreign Policy”