Russia

Foggy

Re: Russia

Post by Foggy »

CNN wrote:BREAKING: The World Anti-Doping Agency bans Russia from all major sporting events for four years, including the Tokyo Olympics and the Qatar World Cup cnn.it/2PntAze

:smoking:
Buckle up, peeps, this ride is gonna get BUMPY. :shock:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Read the fine print. Russia can still participate in some events, but without flag or anthem.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 628490001/
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times - Andrew Higgins
Russia Is a Mess. Why Is Putin Such a Formidable Adversary?

Its economy is sputtering and its young people are frustrated, but with America and Europe in tumult, Russia and its leader of two decades are on a roll.

MOSCOW — Its economy, already smaller than Italy’s, may be sputtering but, two decades after a virtually unknown former K.G.B. spy took power in the Kremlin on Dec. 31, 1999, Russia and its president, Vladimir V. Putin, have just had what could be their best year yet.

The United States, an implacable foe during the Cold War but now presided over by a president determined to “get along with Russia,” is convulsed and distracted by impeachment; Britain, the other main pillar of a trans-Atlantic alliance that Mr. Putin has worked for years to undermine, is also turning inward and just voted for a government that vows to exit the European Union by the end of January.

The Middle East, where American and British influence once reigned supreme, has increasingly tilted toward Moscow as it turned the tide of war in Syria, provided Turkey, a member of NATO, with advanced missile systems, and signed contracts worth billions of dollars with Saudi Arabia, America’s closest ally in the Arab world. Russia has also drawn close to Egypt, another longtime American ally, become a key player in Libya’s civil war, and moved toward what looks more and more like an alliance with China. ...

“When the Soviet Union collapsed, everyone was asking the same question,” recalled Nina Khrushcheva, granddaughter of the Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev and a Russia expert at the New School in New York: “How is it that such a rotten system punched so far above its weight?”

The West, Ms. Khrushcheva said, has repeatedly misread a country whose ambitions are as immense as its territory — it stretches from the Pacific Ocean to the Baltic Sea — and that is often untethered from what looks like reality. Mr. Putin, she said, “is at once a technocrat and a religious zealot, an exhibitionist and a master of secrets. You expect one thing, linearly, and suddenly it’s entirely something else, smoke and mirrors.”
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Also, lots and lots of nuclear weapons under questionable control can do wonders to help a country "punch above its weight."

"Buy your natural gas from Gazprom or maybe some of our Strategic Rocket Force SS-18 warheads will just so happen to find their way to your back yard and go boom. Oops?"
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Now this is impotus' wet dream :)
Putin calls for constitution changes that would weaken successor
Russian president, due to step down in 2024, suggests two-term total limit in future

Andrew Roth in Moscow
Wed 15 Jan 2020 13.21 GMTFirst published on Wed 15 Jan 2020 11.55 GMT

Vladimir Putin has proposed changes to Russia’s constitution that would limit the power of a potential successor if he steps down in 2024, and indicate that he may occupy a beefed-up role as Russia’s prime minister or in the government’s State Council instead.

In a televised speech before senior officials, Putin suggested amending Russia’s constitution to limit a future president to two terms in office (he has served four), tightening residency requirements for presidential candidates, and to let parliament choose candidates for prime minister and the cabinet, effectively weakening the presidency.

Putin presented the measures as a significant change to Russia’s governing document, and called for the first nationwide referendum since 1993 to confirm them. An elections official said within an hour of Putin’s speech that a referendum could be prepared as soon as the proposals to amend the constitution were formalised.

Margarita Simonyan, the head of the RT television station, wrote that “effectively, power in Russia is moving to the legislative branch”. Less credulous observers saw an attempt by Putin to lay the groundwork for a transition of power in 2024, when he should, under the constitution, step down from the presidency after serving two terms back-to-back as Russia’s head of state.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -successor
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Because of course he is.
ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/15/europe/r ... index.html
The entire Russian government is resigning, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev announced Wednesday, after Vladimir Putin proposed sweeping reforms that could extend his decades-long grip on power beyond the end of his presidency.

Putin thanked members of the government for their work but added that "not everything worked out." Putin added that in the near future he would meet with each member of the cabinet. The mass resignation includes Medvedev.

The surprise announcement came after Putin proposed constitutional amendments that would strengthen the powers of the prime minister and parliament at the expense of the presidency.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Was "the entire Russian government" afraid of falling out a window?
ImageImageImage x4
Addie

Post by Addie »

Further to Andy's post below.

New York Times - Andrew Higgins
Russian Premier Abruptly Quits Amid Swirl of Speculation on Putin

The unexpected move by Prime Minister Dmitri A. Medvedev fueled speculation that President Vladimir V. Putin is maneuvering to stay in power when his term ends in 2024.

MOSCOW — Russia’s political order, largely unchanged since the early 1990s, was thrown into feverish uncertainty on Wednesday after President Vladimir V. Putin proposed sweeping constitutional changes that could extend his hold on power indefinitely.

Adding to widespread bewilderment, Mr. Putin’s loyal protégé promptly resigned as prime minister, along with the rest of the government.

Mr. Putin described his proposals, announced in his annual state of the nation address, as an effort to enhance democracy. But his political rivals and many independent analysts interpreted them more as a strategy for keeping power after the end of what is supposed to be his final term in 2024.

Mikhail M. Kasyanov, a former prime minister under Mr. Putin who is now a fierce critic, said the president had given a “clear answer” to questions about his future: “I will remain president forever.”

Few others found that degree of clarity, especially after the surprise announcement shortly after Mr. Putin spoke that Prime Minister Dmitri A. Medvedev was resigning. Mr. Medvedev then took a new job as deputy head of the Security Council, an important body but one that will leave him little space, since it is headed by Mr. Putin.
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Maybe this isn't the right file, but it's most probably related:

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

NSC official on leave pending investigation

Andrew Peek, the senior director for European and Russian affairs at the National Security Council, has been placed on administrative leave pending a security-related investigation, people familiar with the situation tell Axios.

Driving the news: Peek had been expected to attend the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland next week, where President Trump is expected to meet with a number of world leaders as the impeachment trial takes place back in the Senate.

Peek declined to comment.

White House and National Security Council officials declined to discuss the situation. "We do not discuss personnel matters," the NSC said in a statement to Axios.

Why it matters: Peek's responsibilities at the NSC, and before that at the State Department, touch on a number of sensitive areas.

He joined the NSC in November after serving as a deputy assistant secretary at the State Department, where he focused on Iraq and Iran.

He previously served as a strategic adviser to now-retired Marine Gen. John Allen when Allen was commander of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan.

https://www.axios.com/nsc-official-on-l ... 77461.html
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I wonder who's doing the investigation? Bill Barr?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

How a Russian disinfo op got Trump impeached

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/2 ... ump-101895
Three weeks after Election Day 2016, the Kremlin officially floated a theory that would ultimately lead to only the third presidential impeachment in U.S. history.

“Ukraine seriously complicated the work of Trump’s election by planting information” aimed at damaging his campaign chairman Paul Manafort, a spokeswoman for Russia’s Foreign Ministry told reporters on Nov. 30, 2016, accusing the Ukrainian government of scheming to help elect Hillary Clinton.

:snippity:

Zakharova’s claims seemed easy enough to shrug off at the time. It was not surprising that the Kremlin, highly skilled in the dark arts of dezinformatsiya, would try to shift blame to its adversaries in Kyiv.

But that effort to shift blame may have started months earlier. A review of Russian state media reports from the time and interviews with a dozen current and former officials and experts in Kyiv and Washington paint a more sinister picture: that Zakharova’s seemingly throwaway accusation was actually the culmination of a year-long effort to frame Ukraine for a Russian attack, ultimately leading to parallel efforts by Moscow and President Donald Trump to try to game the 2020 election by seeking dirt on former vice president Joe Biden.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Hmmmm.

FBI in Miami arrested a Mexican national who they say was recruited by the Russian gov’t to locate a “confidential human source who provided information regarding Russian intelligence,” to the US.
Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Kendra wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:57 am Hmmmm.

FBI in Miami arrested a Mexican national who they say was recruited by the Russian gov’t to locate a “confidential human source who provided information regarding Russian intelligence,” to the US.
Hope they (the CHS) live on the ground floor.

Seriously, though. I hope they have been provided adequate security. And I'm not confident trump's gov would provide anyone, who actually needs it, with adequate security.
ImageImageImage x4
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I think this is an important story that's been lost in the firehose of news.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

TexasFilly wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:42 am I think this is an important story that's been lost in the firehose of news.
Agreed.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://wsvn.com/news/local/federal-age ... ssion=true
MIAMI (WSVN) - Federal authorities have arrested a man accused of acting as a Russian spy in South Florida.

Prosecutors have charged Hector Alejandro Cabrera Fuentes with conspiracy to act within the United States as an agent of foreign power, Tuesday.

According to the FBI, Fuentes flew into Miami International Airport and rented a car on Feb. 13.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/individu ... g-attorney

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Individual Arrested for Acting Within the U.S. on Behalf of the Russian Government Without Notifying the Attorney General

Hector Alejandro Cabrera Fuentes, a Mexican citizen residing in Singapore, was arrested based on a Complaint charging him with acting within the United States on behalf of a foreign government (Russia), without notifying the Attorney General, and conspiracy to do the same.

John C. Demers, Assistant Attorney General for National Security; Ariana Fajardo Orshan, United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida; George Piro, Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Miami Field Office; and Diane J. Sabatino, Director of Field Operations, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Miami Field Office, made the announcement.

According to court documents, a Russian government official recruited Fuentes in 2019 and directed Fuentes to rent a specific property in Miami-Dade County, Florida. The Russian official told Fuentes not to rent the apartment in Fuentes’s own name and not to tell his family about their meetings. Fuentes traveled to Russia and informed the Russian government official about the arrangements. The official approved and told Fuentes to see him again on his next trip to Russia.

In February 2020, Fuentes traveled to Moscow again and met with the Russian government official. At this meeting, the Russian government official provided Fuentes with a physical description of a U.S. Government source’s vehicle and told Fuentes to locate the car, obtain the source’s vehicle license plate number, and note the physical location of the source’s vehicle. The Russian official instructed Fuentes to meet the Russian official again in April or May 2020, to inform him of the results of the search for the source’s vehicle.

Furthermore, according to court documents, Fuentes traveled to Miami on Feb. 13, 2020, from Mexico City. The next day, on February 14, Fuentes’s rental car drew the attention of a security guard where the U.S. government source resided because it entered its premises by tailgating another vehicle to gain access. When a security guard approached Fuentes’s rental car, Fuentes’s travel companion, who resides and is legally married to Fuentes in Mexico, walked away from Fuentes’s rental car to the U.S. Government source’s vehicle and took a photograph of the source’s vehicle’s license plate. When security questioned Fuentes and his travel companion on the nature of their business in the building, Fuentes provided a name of an individual whom they were purportedly visiting. Security did not recognize the person as living there and told Fuentes to leave the premises.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

This guy isn't a nobody. He's a well respected doctor who apparently was in the running for the Nobel Prize in Medicine. Fascinating look into how Putin operates and who he coopts/chooses for these operations.
Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I want to know how he gets them to cooperate. Threats against their families? Honey pots? Roofied and drug to a photo op? Or is the promise of money enough? If you're struggling, I can see how money would do it. But a highly respected physician? What was he promised?

I hope he (the doctor) cooperates and, if so, I hope he's adequately secured.

Here's a blurb from twitter, translated from Spanish.

Noticias Oaxaca NVI
@nvinoticiasoax
· Oct 19, 2018
El oaxaqueño y doctor en biología humana Héctor Alejandro Cabrera Fuentes, es candidato al Premio Nobel de Medicina; ha dedicado ocho años de investigación científica a descubrir con qué tratamiento prevenir los infartos cardiacos y cerebrales. http://ow.ly/o9B030miNWL

The Oaxacan and doctor in human biology Héctor Alejandro Cabrera Fuentes, is a candidate for the Nobel Prize in Medicine; He has dedicated eight years of scientific research to discover with which treatment to prevent heart and brain infarctions.
ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I hope the "CHS" gets relocated before he touches some Novichok. Astonishing that the Russians knew where he was living but were interested in the guys car. Interestingly not knowing its registration :confused:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:15 pm I hope the "CHS" gets relocated before he touches some Novichok. Astonishing that the Russians knew where he was living but were interested in the guys car. Interestingly not knowing its registration :confused:
And if I understand the reporting correctly, the Russians wanted to know where the vehicle was parked.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Kendra wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:36 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:15 pm I hope the "CHS" gets relocated before he touches some Novichok. Astonishing that the Russians knew where he was living but were interested in the guys car. Interestingly not knowing its registration :confused:
And if I understand the reporting correctly, the Russians wanted to know where the vehicle was parked.
Yeah, you kind of have to know where the car is if you want to fix the brakes or do some other repair to help the car misbehave and kill it's occupant. Accident. Easy peasy. Throwing him out the window is just a little too Putin to not look suspicious.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Putin Proposes Constitutional Ban on Gay Marriage
Seeking to build interest in an impending referendum, the Russian president offered divisive new proposals on hot-button cultural issues.

By Andrew E. Kramer
March 3, 2020

MOSCOW — President Vladimir V. Putin has proposed a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage in what political analysts suggest is an effort to raise turnout for a constitutional referendum that could keep him in power but has so far stirred little enthusiasm among Russians.

Polls have suggested low turnout and little enthusiasm among Russians for the referendum planned next month.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/03/worl ... riage.html

Return to “Foreign Policy”