Somebody Better Get a Grip On Israel

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Or the SOPA or ACA or anything else [/break1]businessinsider.com/2012-04-09/news/31311454_1_russian-defense-ministry-military-action-dmitry-rogozin]won't matter for anything (Business Insider, F. Michael Maloof|):

Dmitry Rogozin, who recently was the Russian ambassador to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, or NATO, warned against an attack on Iran.

"Iran is our neighbor," Rogozin said. "If Iran is involved in any military action, it's a direct threat to our security." Rogozin now is the deputy Russian prime minister and is regarded as anti-Western. He oversees Russia's defense sector.

I've posted all over the intarwebs that Russia wasn't going to stand around and let Iran get attacked without retaliation. Now they're putting feet on the ground to prove it.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Big talk. When it comes down to it Russia won't risk anything for Iran. Russia will only risk things for Russia. And Israel knows it.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Big talk. When it comes down to it Russia won't risk anything for Iran. Russia will only risk things for Russia. And Israel knows it.And I believe you badly mistaken. And there's evidence that you are badly mistaken.

Sterngard Friegen

Big talk. When it comes down to it Russia won't risk anything for Iran. Russia will only risk things for Russia. And Israel knows it.And I believe you badly mistaken. And there's evidence that you are badly mistaken.Which is?

borealis

Post by borealis »

Big talk. When it comes down to it Russia won't risk anything for Iran. Russia will only risk things for Russia. And Israel knows it.And I believe you badly mistaken. And there's evidence that you are badly mistaken. I agree. Russia will always be Russia. And it will seek to gain dominance in international diplomacy. I think we're headed into another cold war. Geesh I hate to agree with Romney on any statement but Cassius still hath a lean and hungry look.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Big talk. When it comes down to it Russia won't risk anything for Iran. Russia will only risk things for Russia. And Israel knows it.And I believe you badly mistaken. And there's evidence that you are badly mistaken.Which is?Jane's confirmed the troop movement. Troops come with tanks and all other sorts of violent tools of war: especially front-line air cover. The kind of air cover that can knock down incoming Israeli bombers and handle their CAP.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

World War one started becasue Russia came to the defense of its ally Serbia. Just saying.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

And they'll do it, again.Somebody HAS to learn from past mistakes.For all our sakes.

Sterngard Friegen

[-(

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Ya, so you don't want to learn from the past?There's no indication whatsoever that Russia won't counter Israel's stupidity with more stupidity. They've a history of it.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

What kind of military strategy would Russia use on behalf of Iran? The Israeli threat would seem to be from planes dropping bombs. Massing 20,000-25,000 Russian troops in Dagestan would seem to be a response to an invasion of Iran, which nobody seems to be planning. If Iran has Russia as its principal friend, it probably does not have much of a friend.As for "getting a grip" on Israel, I believe that is now up to the people of Israel. They did not vote for the coalition government that is now in place, with its absurd placement of Avigdor Lieberman as Foreign Minister. Netanyahu could have chosen to partner with another party. Likud does not have much in common with Yisrael Beiteinu except for a desire to rule. A vote of no confidence in the government would bring down that coalition. It could even bring down Netanyahu, which I believe would be in the best interests of Israel, its neighbors, the Palestinians, and the world. Polls show a solid majority of Israelis opposed to a pre-emptive strike on Iran unless the U.S. is seriously involved, which I interpret as leading the bombing raids. I trust that is not going to happen. The people who need to get a grip on Israel are her people. They may need to act quickly.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

What kind of military strategy would Russia use on behalf of Iran?Close and CAP air support, with far superiour aircraft than the Israelis can field. Along with long range AA GtoA missile systems perfected over 50 years.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

What kind of military strategy would Russia use on behalf of Iran?Close and CAP air support, with far superiour aircraft than the Israelis can field. Along with long range AA GtoA missile systems perfected over 50 years.AFAIK, nobody is reporting that the Russians are moving any of these systems into place. All that the news has now involves ground troops in not very large numbers. It would indeed be very much a problem if Russia deployed those resources. I hope neither Russia nor the U.S. is willing to commit to that level of involvement.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

AFAIK, nobody is reporting that the Russians are moving any of these systems into placeJane's says the AA stuff been in place for a year. The rest of it minus the mech infantry/armour support has been there since last summer.Russia is QUITE capable of deploying at this level and QUITE committed to do so.It doesn't matter if you believe it or not.

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

What kind of military strategy would Russia use on behalf of Iran?Close and CAP air support, with far superiour aircraft than the Israelis can field. Along with long range AA GtoA missile systems perfected over 50 years.IMHO Is that the new SA system the Russians refuse to sell to Iran???I really beg to differ with the "far superior aircraft". F-15s, F-16Is, the homegrown Israeli stuff. Think about who has the most advanced anti missile system in the world along with Irondome. Who do you think the Russians steal their technology from??? Since they steal it, they are always a little behind.John, I think you are really selling the Israeli's short.Israel is going to do what it perceives as it's own self interest. Russia will do the same. One problem is that anyone in the MidEast that uses Soviet Equipment is at a severe disadvantage versus the US and Israeli built stuff.The Russians have to invade several independent countries along the lines of a Chechnya. Then protect their folks from the locals. Iran does not border Russia just a bunch of "stans".As for aircraft, depending on whether they get a warning or not - could or not matter. The Russians would have to mass aircraft on the southern border. If they get notified when the Israeli's are hitting the sites, they won't have enough time to intervene.The Russians are going to play catch up for a long time. Their economy won't withstand anything more than a quick short term operation.
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

I hope Jane's has better info than some other folks who claimed there was an entire Russian Division in northern A-stan when the Northern Alliance turned back the Taliban. The glories of the Internet.
Edit: If the Russians are already there, then the Israelis have already worked that into the plan.

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin »

What kind of military strategy would Russia use on behalf of Iran?Close and CAP air support, with far superiour aircraft than the Israelis can field. Along with long range AA GtoA missile systems perfected over 50 years.BULL!

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

[/break1]airforce-technology.com/news/newsrussia-to-induct-three-s-400-battalions-in-2012/]Deployment of S 400...The Russian Defence Ministry said that it has no plans to export the S-400 systems and the production of S-300 systems will be replaced by S-400 systems for the Russian Armed Forces only.Russia is planning to arm 56 battalions with S-400 systems by 2020 to create a cornerstone of Russia's theatre air and missile defences.This article is dated 12 March 2012. [/break1]wired.com/dangerroom/2010/09/nyet-russia-now-wont-sell-badass-missile-to-iran/]Another story from 2010 about how the US pressured Russia to reject the S 300 missiles to Iran.Less than a week ago, Defense Secretary Robert Gates shared a meal with his Russian counterpart aboard a riverboat on the Potomac. Today, Russia made an abrupt about-face on a big U.S. priority. Moscow is not going to sell Iran a highly advanced anti-aircraft missile system. The turnaround means Tehran is both more vulnerable to an attack — and, perhaps, a bit more isolated, diplomatically. You can hear the champagne bottles popping from Washington to Jerusalem.Of course, it’s not clear that Gates or anyone else in the Obama administration — or the Israeli government, which we’ll come to in a second — is responsible for Russia’s move. But up until today, Moscow maintained that a long-standing contract to sell S-300 missiles to Iran didn’t violate new United Nations Security Council sanctions on weapons sales to the Iranians. The U.S. was none too pleased about that interpretation, though the State Department conceded it was technically correct. Now it looks like a moot point:President Dmitry Medvedev issued a decree today scrapping the missile deal.It doesn't look like Iran will have either the S 300 latest model or the S 400 (which the Russians won't let out of the country). When Russia was the USSR, it would produce a weapon for domestic use, then turn out a lesser piece of equipment for export to it's buddies - Iraq had the "export model" of the T-72 with the hand crank to turn the turret around.

borealis

Post by borealis »

Couldn't all this hawkish rhetoric be due to the fact Israel, Iran and the US have major elections this year? Do we love the sound of our roars? I don't like the sound of chest thumping. Got us into Iraq and caused North Korea to rush its A-bomb development after Rumsfield said we could easily handle a third front in North Korea with a handful of troops. Thank you neocons for the nuclear mess you made.

mimi

Post by mimi »

i'm not sure where to post this, or if there is another thread open. feel free to move my post wherever you want.

i don't have all that much faith in what jeffrey goldberg sez... but...

Intelligence Committee Chair Describes Explosive Confrontation Between Netanyahu and American Ambassador

By Jeffrey Goldberg

Tweet Sep 6 2012, 2:57 PM ET

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and U.S. Ambassador to Israel Dan Shapiro allegedly argued over the Obama's administration's Iran policy.

Rep. Mike Rogers, the Michigan Republican who chairs the House Intelligence Committee, says that his much-discussed meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem late last month did, in fact, devolve into an sharp confrontation between Netanyahu and the American ambassador to Israel, the former National Security Council official (and former Obama campaign Jewish liaison), Dan Shapiro.

Rogers told a Michigan radio interviewer earlier this week that he had not previously witnessed such a high-level confrontation, and he described Israeli leaders as being at "wits' end" over what they see as President Obama's unwillingness to provide them with his "red lines" in the effort to stop Iran's nuclear program. He also said that neither the Israelis nor the Iranians believe that Obama would use force to stop the nuclear program. (UPDATE: Rogers said as well he believes the Israelis will "probably" bomb Iran if they don't get clearer red lines from the U.S.)more here;

[/break1]theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/09/intelligence-committee-chair-describes-explosive-confrontation-between-netanyahu-and-american-ambassador/262056/]http://www.theatlantic.com/internationa ... or/262056/

and the breitbart babies posts crap just to fan any flame.

Obama Admin Cuts Military Participation With Israel, Increases Participation with Muslim Brotherhood

[/break1]breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012/09/05/Obama-Admin-Cuts-Military-Participation-With-Israel-Increases-Participation-with-Muslim-Brotherhood]http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012 ... rotherhood

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Maybe the neo-cons behind Romney are not waiting until October to spring their long-planned surprise.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Sounds like the head of the Intelligence Committee should be keeping his yapper shut. It's probably more GOP Swiftboating anyway.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Who cares? The Ambassador did the right thing. Under no circumstance should the US get involved with, support or condone a preemptive strike against Iran.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

An Israeli strike won’t delay Iran’s nuclear weapons program. [/break1]csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2012/0905/An-Israeli-strike-won-t-delay-Iran-s-nuclear-weapons-program.-It-will-start-it]It will start it ( Yousaf Butt, CSMonitor).

Return to “Foreign Policy”