Spy Games

Addie

Re: Spy Games

Post by Addie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:35 am

Asbury Park Press
Jersey Roots: German spies in Long Branch during World War I ...

While we tend to think of terrorism as an evolution of modern warfare, the threat of an attack on the homeland by one or more individuals was as real a century ago as it is today.

In the Asbury Park Press on Nov. 12, 1917, the newspaper reported that two German men — Emil Egeling and Christian Scheibel — had been arrested aboard a New York-bound train at Long Branch on what is today NJ Transit's North Jersey Coast Line.

Authorities said the suspects had come to Monmouth County from New York to pick up two bombs that had been shipped to a third German at the Jersey Shore on Election Day the week before, using a postal express service.

Unbeknownst to Egeling and Scheibel, the federal government had become aware of the plot and intercepted the explosives in Long Branch, while undercover U.S. marshals tailed Egeling and Scheibel to New Jersey from New York.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:36 am

WaPo
Britain in a stir over accusation that Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn was a Cold War ‘asset’ for Czech spies

LONDON — The British love their spy dramas. This one is a doozy.

Last week, the Sun newspaper published an expose that asserted that Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn was once a “paid asset” who had been “recruited” by Cold War Czechoslovakian spies.

The tabloid reported that an agent “Lt. Jan Dymic — real name Jan Sarkocy — alleged the Labour leader was in collaboration with the Soviet-era Czechoslovakian intelligence agency StB in the late-1980s.”

And that Corbyn's code name, according to the Sun’s former State Security source, was COB.

The Sun based its report, in part, on dusty government files unearthed in Prague archives.

Corbyn and his party spokesman called the accusations absurd. Labour’s official response was: “The claim that he was an agent, asset or informer for any intelligence agency is entirely false and a ridiculous smear.”

And yet.

¡Sterngard! come home.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:07 am

Diplomat unmasked as a Soviet spy played role in Profumo scandal when working at The Daily Telegraph

Robert Mendick, chief reporter
25 FEBRUARY 2018 • 7:39PM

A British diplomat unmasked as a Soviet spy was linked to the Profumo scandal during his time as communist affairs correspondent on The Daily Telegraph.

David Floyd confessed to spying for the Soviet Union while working as a translator at the British military mission and embassy in Moscow, according to newly released Foreign Office documents unearthed.

Floyd’s son, Sir Christopher Floyd, who is one of the country’s highest ranking judges as a Lord Justice of Appeal, has told of his shock at learning his father worked for the Kremlin.

Floyd, who died aged 83 in 1997, went on to become a senior reporter with the Telegraph and attended a pivotal lunch in 1961 at the Garrick Club in London at which Captain Yevgeny Ivanov, a Soviet naval attache, met Stephen Ward, the osteopath and artist. Ward introduced both Ivanov and John Profumo, the Secretary of State for War, to Christine Keeler.

Both men had affairs with Keeler, the ensuing scandal forcing Profumo’s resignation and rocking the Conservative government of the day.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02 ... l-working/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:19 am

UK
Jeremy Corbyn and the Czech spy: the secret files
The Labour leader has tried to talk down his contact with Jan Sarkocy in the 1980s but a study of Cold War archives shows it may have been deeper than he admits. What else might the papers tell us?

Tom Bower
February 25 2018, 12:01am,
The Sunday Times

Soon after 32-year-old Jan Sarkocy flew from Prague to Heathrow on May 29, 1986, to start his career as an intelligence officer at the Czech embassy in London, his cover as Jan Dymic, a diplomatic third secretary responsible for “peace issues”, was blown to British intelligence.

Unbeknown to Sarkocy, among the Czech intelligence officers who had briefed him before his departure was a traitor. The double agent was Vlastimil Ludvik, spotted and later recruited by British intelligence while serving in London as an officer of the Statni Bezpecnost (StB), the Czech secret police, in the early 1980s. In the dark world of espionage, Ludvik was feeding his controllers at MI6 with information about the Czech agency’s operational plans in Britain.

Regardless of that betrayal, when…

Remainder behind wall:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -xbp55bkq7

The Czechoslovak spy who met Jeremy Corbyn
By Rob Cameron BBC News, Prague
25 February 2018

Much of the news in the UK this week has been driven by allegations by a former Czechoslovak spy that the opposition Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn was a paid informer for the country's communist era secret police, the StB.

Mr Corbyn emphatically denies the claims. Indeed all the evidence suggests he was never anything more than a person of interest to the StB. But as Rob Cameron reports from Prague, while the Cold War is over, a few sheaves of yellowing paper still have the power to throw lives into turmoil.

As I sat at my computer, poring over secret police files, I felt a sudden tug of nostalgia. The files were digital copies of reports written by StB officer Jan Sarkocy, sent to Britain in 1986 under diplomatic cover. When he met first Jeremy Corbyn, in November of that year, his business card read "Jan Dymic, Third Secretary to the Czechoslovak Embassy in London".

They were fascinating documents, cryptic and - for me - strangely evocative. Especially the references to North London landmarks I knew well, such as Seven Sisters Road, where the Labour MP for Islington had an office.

But my task was not to dredge up my own memories of Labour politics while the party was in opposition in the 1980s. Rather it was to examine the six documents in dossier number 12801/subsection 326, codename "COB", for traces of anything incriminating. And believe me, I couldn't find them.

Nothing in Agent Dymic's descriptions of three meetings with the Labour MP - two in the House of Commons, one on Seven Sisters Road - suggest the StB ever regarded him as anything other than a potential source. A young leftist with good contacts in the peace movement. An internationalist with a Chilean wife who kept dogs and goldfish. The only document he appears to have passed on to Agent Dymic was a photocopy of an article in the Sunday People about a bungled MI5 raid on the East German Embassy. And each meticulous report ended with a little note of expenses incurred; parking, two pounds; underground ticket, one pound. Signed: Jan Dymic.

For clarity I spent a morning with the woman who is now the custodian of millions of documents still marked "TOP SECRET": the Director of the Czech Security Services Archive. For research purposes these dossiers - once jealously guarded by the Communist-era secret police and intelligence services - are now freely available to anyone; all you have to do is ask for them.

http:// www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43168245

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:06 am

Juicy: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nort ... SKCN1GB2AY
LONDON (Reuters) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and his late father Kim Jong Il used fraudulently obtained Brazilian passports to apply for visas to visit Western countries in the 1990s, five senior Western European security sources told Reuters.
When spooks talk to the press, the talking is part of the spooking. (I should just put that in my sig block.)

But in the case of this article, which has photocopies and references "facial recognition technology," the message seems to be pretty clear. If your name pops up anywhere in this messy hydra of Transnational Organized Crime/Terrorism/Rogue State detritus that we're starting now to clean up, don't expect to pull an Eichmann. The tech these days is too good and too embedded in modern life.

You might have a chance if you paddle yourself up a river and live off-off-grid in a cave somewhere, provided the tree cover hides you from NGA.

(I originally had this in the North Korea thread, but it occurred to me that Kim isn't the primary audience.)

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:51 am

gupwalla wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:06 am
Juicy: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nort ... SKCN1GB2AY
LONDON (Reuters) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and his late father Kim Jong Il used fraudulently obtained Brazilian passports to apply for visas to visit Western countries in the 1990s, five senior Western European security sources told Reuters.
When spooks talk to the press, the talking is part of the spooking. (I should just put that in my sig block.)

But in the case of this article, which has photocopies and references "facial recognition technology," the message seems to be pretty clear. If your name pops up anywhere in this messy hydra of Transnational Organized Crime/Terrorism/Rogue State detritus that we're starting now to clean up, don't expect to pull an Eichmann. The tech these days is too good and too embedded in modern life.

You might have a chance if you paddle yourself up a river and live off-off-grid in a cave somewhere, provided the tree cover hides you from NGA.

(I originally had this in the North Korea thread, but it occurred to me that Kim isn't the primary audience.)
Interesting. Seems that the secret services are scanning their archives with most current face recognition software. Likely after completing the transfer from microfilm into digital records.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Putin strikes again?

The Guardian

@guardian

Salisbury incident: critically ill man is 'former Russian spy'
https://
trib.al/ctTYcxO

12:36 PM - Mar 5, 2018
Manafort must be very nervous.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:40 pm

Following on Volki's post.

BBC News
Critically ill man is former Russian spy

A man who is critically ill after being exposed to an unknown substance in Wiltshire is a Russian national convicted of spying for Britain, the BBC understands.

Sergei Skripal, who is 66, was granted refuge in the UK following a "spy swap" between the US and Russia in 2010.

He and a woman, 33, were found unconscious on a bench at a shopping centre in Salisbury on Sunday afternoon.

The substance has not been identified.

Police are investigating whether a crime has been committed, following the incident at the Maltings shopping centre.

Col Skripal, who is a retired Russian military intelligence officer, was jailed for 13 years in 2006 for spying for Britain.

He was convicted of passing the identities of Russian intelligence agents working undercover in Europe to the UK's Secret Intelligence Service, MI6.

¡Sterngard! come home.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:21 pm

And this is one of the biggest problems with DOTUS covering for Putin. When the President of what used to be the greatest and most respected nation in the world refuses to call him out, he's likely to get even more brazen about killing people in other countries.

I recently bought Luke Harding's book. A Very Expensive Poison: The Assassination of Alexander Litvenenko and Putin's War with the West. Excellent so far.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:36 pm

An incident in England suggests that Russian agents might be poisoning people again.

Here's the first two paragraphs of the report in The Guardian:
Former Russian spy critically ill in UK 'after exposure to substance'

One of the two people critically ill in a Salisbury hospital after “suspected exposure to an unknown substance” is a Russian man who was exchanged in a high-profile “spy swap” in 2010, the Guardian understands.

Sergei Skripal, 66, was one of four Russians exchanged for 10 deep cover “sleeper” agents planted by Moscow in the US.
:snippity:

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:53 am

Daily Beast
U.K. Restaurant Is Focus of Mystery Russian Spy ‘Poisoning’

An Italian restaurant has become the focus of the investigation into the possible poisoning of a turncoat Russian spy and a woman said to be his daughter in the provincial British town of Salisbury. Zizzi restaurant, part of a chain of Italian eateries across the U.K., has been closed down by the authorities after Sergei Skripal, 66, and a woman in her thirties, reportedly his daughter, Yulya, who was visiting the U.K., were found unconscious on a bench at a shopping center on Sunday afternoon, a two-minute walk from the cafe. Both are now in critical condition at a local hospital. Authorities said they were being treated for the suspected exposure to an unknown substance. The inclusion of a restaurant in the investigation has prompted comparisons to the murder of Alexander Litvinenko, another former Russian spy who had fallen out of favor with the Kremlin, who was killed when a pot of tea he was served in a London hotel was spiked with radioactive polonium-210 by Russian agents. Litvinenko’s widow, Marina, told BBC Radio 4’s World Tonight: “It’s like deja vu, like what happened to me 11 years ago.” Wiltshire Police said there was “no known risk to the public’s health.”

Read it at The Independent

¡Sterngard! come home.

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Maybe the UK can help Trump figure out how to apply sanctions?

U.K. Threatens Tougher Sanctions in Russia Spy Poisoning Probe
After the suspected poisoning of a Russian dissident over the weekend in western England, Britain says it’s considering tougher sanctions if the Kremlin is found to have played a role in the incident.

Prime Minister Theresa May convened her National Security Council to discuss the matter after Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson told the House of Commons that Russia is a “malign and disruptive force.”

“Should evidence emerge that shows state responsibility, then Her Majesty’s government will respond appropriately and robustly,” Johnson said after Sergei Skripal, a Russian convicted in his home country of spying for Britain, was found critically ill on a bench Sunday in Salisbury. “It may very well be that we are forced to look again at our sanctions regime and other measures that we may seek to put in place.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -dissident

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:31 pm

More information about incident.
The woman found unconscious on a shopping center bench next to a Russian former double agent is his daughter, a source told CNN on Tuesday.

Sergei Skripal -- a 66-year-old former military official from Russia who was convicted of spying for the UK -- and his 33-year-old daughter Yulia, who was visiting him from Russia, are critically ill in a UK hospital after "suspected exposure to an unknown substance" Sunday.
:snippity:
A small number of emergency services personnel were treated immediately after the incident, local police said in a statement Tuesday. One of them remains in the hospital.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/03/06/euro ... index.html

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:34 pm

It is now being reported that the two were poisoned by some sort of nerve agent. Gosh, who do we know that has already been willing to kill his enemies in foreign countries and whose very close friend has been known to use Sarin against his own people?

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Mildly freaked by this one. I'm very familiar with that part of Salisbury - the area with the bench is on the route between the main parking lot and the market and central shopping district.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:06 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:34 pm
It is now being reported that the two were poisoned by some sort of nerve agent. Gosh, who do we know that has already been willing to kill his enemies in foreign countries and whose very close friend has been known to use Sarin against his own people?
Russian spy and daughter poisoned by nerve agent - UK police
By Euronews
last updated: 07/03/2018

UK counter terrorism police say an incident in which a Russian ex-spy and his daughter fell critically ill is being treated as attempted murder by a nerve agent.

Sergei Skripal, 66, and his daughter Yulia, 33, were found unconscious on Sunday on a bench outside a shopping centre in Salisbury, a city in southern England.

"In summary, this is being treated as a major incident involving attempted murder by administration of a nerve agent," Mark Rowley, the head of counter terrorism policing, said in a statement on Wednesday.

He declined to give details of the substance used.

"I can also confirm that we believe the two people originally who became unwell were targeted specifically," Rowley said.

http://www.euronews.com/2018/03/07/russ ... -uk-police

Note: in a slightly different worded Euronews item it was mentioned that an attending police officer is also in serious condition,eg the attack must have happened just a few minutes prior so probably clothes did still hold sufficient agent to spread locally.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:25 am

Cross posting

Daily Beast
Report: Poisoned Russian Spy May Have Worked on Trump Dossier

The mystery of the former Russian agent who was poisoned with a nerve agent in a small English city on Sunday is getting more complex by the day. The Telegraph reported Thursday that Sergei Skripal—who remains in a critical condition in hospital alongside his daughter and a British police officer—was in close contact with a security consultant who worked for Christopher Steele, the former British agent who compiled the infamous Trump dossier. The newspaper refused to name the consultant, but reported that a LinkedIn page deleted in the past few days stated that he was based in Salisbury—where the attempted murder took place—and had previously done work for Orbis Business Intelligence, which is run by Steele. The Telegraph report states: “If the Kremlin believed that Col. Skripal might have helped with the compilation of the dossier, it could explain the motive for the assassination attempt in Salisbury town center.” On Wednesday, Valery Morozov—a former construction magnate who fled Russia—told Channel 4 News that Skripal was not retired and met with military intelligence officers every month.

¡Sterngard! come home.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:59 pm

Russian TV anchor warns 'traitors' not to settle in Britain

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:27 am

Associated Press
Russia may use US and UK to target, kill former spies and Putin enemies ...

Some lawmakers and a former top law enforcement official say the nerve agent attack fits a pattern of suspicious deaths in the U.K. and in the United States. They are calling for a high-level police investigation into whether Britain has become a killing ground for the state-sanctioned elimination of enemies of the Russian government.

The deaths that have caused qualms include a man who was impaled through the chest by the spikes of an iron fence; a former Putin aide found dead in a Washington hotel room with blunt force injuries; and an ex-spy poisoned by radioactive tea.

British officials have not openly blamed the Russian government for the brazen assault of the Skripals, but it is raising hard questions on how to deal with Russian aggression — even as officials in the U.S. are trying to determine how to respond to Russian interference in U.S. elections. ...

Several politicians, analysts and intelligence agencies believe the case of Skripal, who moved to Britain after he was freed in a 2010 spy swap, may prove to be the work of the Russian government, Russian organized crime groups, or a fluid alliance of the two.

"Russian leaders seem to go out of their way to get rid of anybody that seems to be in their way, someone who's betrayed them, someone who's interrupting the money flow, and they don't seem to care about borders. They just go wherever they have to go to get their guy," said Joe Serio, the American author of "Investigating the Russian Mafia," who spent nearly ten years with the anti-organized crime unit of Moscow's police.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:36 am

I don't think I posted this BuzzFeed series to this forum. It's from a while ago, but an interesting read.
Recommending a series on Russian money-laundering and related murders in London, showing the ins and outs of how it all works. Eventually, I would expect, this series will lead into the Trump organization. I'm cross-posting from the NYS thread.
Buzzfeed: Poison in the System

BuzzFeed: From Russia With Blood

BuzzFeed: The Man Who Knew Too Much

¡Sterngard! come home.

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:38 pm

This was in the Mirror... not sure how reliable they are or if they are just another tabloid, but the story is interesting.

Russian spy claims he is on hit-list of EIGHT targets he says Vladimir Putin wants dead

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/r ... t-12165689

:snippity: A Russian spy who defected to Britain today reveals he was also poisoned – and claims he is on a hit-list of EIGHT targets he says Vladimir Putin wants dead.

Boris Karpichkov says he survived an assassination attempt – but lost nearly five stone and all of his body hair.

The ex-KGB major has since learned of seven others – including double agent Sergei Skripal – he believes the Russian President wants to execute.

In a terrifying development, Karpich­kov says he has been warned to watch for weapons disguised as e-cigarettes but which conceal deadly nerve gas. :snippity:

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:07 pm

May's speech in the Commons is remarkable. Almost Churchillian. In the strongest language of diplomacy and intelligence, she is calling for a response to Russia that is proportional to the attack but also warlike in posture. She's not kidding, and Russia had best take her at the fiercest interpretation of her words.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:58 pm

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:04 am

UK and NATO response is shaping up along the lines of calling out Russia as a "state sponsor of terrorism" for using a weapon of mass destruction on foreign soil.

We never did get around to revoking that AUMF, did we? Things are going to get very interesting over the next few days and weeks. Interesting in ways that are very hard on my liver.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:37 am

gupwalla wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:07 pm
May's speech in the Commons is remarkable. Almost Churchillian. In the strongest language of diplomacy and intelligence, she is calling for a response to Russia that is proportional to the attack but also warlike in posture. She's not kidding, and Russia had best take her at the fiercest interpretation of her words.
Cynic's hat on for a moment: it's always handy to have an obvious enemy which allows a weak leader to make big speeches that everybody can rally behind (and nobody can object to).

That said, I don't doubt Theresa May's general integrity, only her competence.
Off Topic
Churchill was a great war leader, but he was also despised by a lot of British people, and they very enthusiastically ditched him in the election at the end of WW2, because he and his party wanted to say wind the country back to the patrician rule of the 1930s.

Return to “Foreign Policy”