Re: North Korea

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:26 pm

HST's Ghost wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:25 pm
More detail on Pompeo's visit
Inside Pompeo's Fraught North Korea Trip
► Show Spoiler
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... korea-trip
Like I said elsewhere, I think Pompeo is going to blow a valve...
No wonder considering that the State Department has been decapacitated decapitated and is now missing all the educated staff that could have pointed Pompeo to the finer facts of international and especially Asian diplomacy... :blackeye:

ETA as by :sterngard: s suggestion

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:39 pm

I can see Kim Jong Un demanding a summit every 6 months and Trump dutifully giving it to him. There will be an endless charade of these two "leaders" meeting in person, signing pieces of paper that commit the US to increasingly diminished role in the region along with decreased ability to aid South Korea. Followed by our hapless SOS visiting NK, being subjected to endless hours of eating kimchi, meetings with every except KJU, and finally the North Korean press release claiming that the US tried to take advantage of them once again. Kim Jong Un will have a great time making Trump dance to his tune. This is going to become nothing but sport, at Trump's expense.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:03 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:26 pm
HST's Ghost wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:25 pm
More detail on Pompeo's visit
Inside Pompeo's Fraught North Korea Trip
► Show Spoiler
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... korea-trip
Like I said elsewhere, I think Pompeo is going to blow a valve...
No wonder considering that the State Department has been decapacitated and is now missing all the educated staff that could have pointed Pompeo to the finer facts of international and especially Asian diplomacy... :blackeye:
RTH is not a native English speaker but this word would be a great portmanteau of decapitated and incapacitated but for the fact it already has a definition -- involving sperm!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:06 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops:

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:05 pm

The Decapacitated Portmanteaus is the name of my next fantasy baseball team! :dance: :dance: :dance:

More on Pompeo and NorKor:
“IF THIS SHIP GOES DOWN, HE GOES DOWN WITH IT”: HAS MIKE POMPEO COST TRUMP HIS NOBEL PRIZE?
Among diplomats, there is certainly a level of Schadenfreude in Pompeo and Trump’s humiliation. “This is why you don’t start things with a presidential summit,” said a former White House national security adviser. “It’s all flash, no substance.”

Among diplomats, there is certainly a level of Schadenfreude in Pompeo and Trump’s humiliation. “This is why you don’t start things with a presidential summit. Getting these details sorted out so that you have a common expectation is something that you do at the working level among technical experts, oftentimes taking months, sometimes years. . . . When that doesn’t happen and you jump right to the presidential level, it makes good theater, but it doesn’t make good substance. It is all flash, no substance,” Kahl, now a senior fellow at Stanford University’s Center for International Security and Cooperation, said. “As you try to work backwards, trying to put meat on the bones at a working level, through the secretary of state, now you put lower-level officials in the untenable position of having to, in a sense, backtrack or retreat on things that their leaders already thought that they have in hand. So that is a much harder way to negotiate.”

In the meantime, things are likely to get worse for Pompeo. Since before he joined the State Department and was serving as the head of the C.I.A., Pompeo has led the negotiations with North Korea and has garnered a heaping of presidential praise for his efforts. His recent trip to Pyongyang, however, could hurt his standing with Trump. As Kahl noted, “For Trump, everything in foreign policy is about how it reflects back on him personally,” and “Now he is hedging against the collapse of these things by setting up someone else to blame besides himself.” Today, it is China, but tomorrow it could be Pompeo. Lewis offered a blunt characterization of the situation: “Pompeo is lashed to the mast of this ship. He has no choice. If this ship goes down, he goes down with it.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/07 ... gotiations
Pompeo at the helm. Wait until he has to clean up the international diplomatic turds Trump is going to drop at Putin's behest. The summer is only starting to heat up, methinks.

Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:32 am

HST's Ghost wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:05 pm
:snippity:
Pompeo at the helm. Wait until he has to clean up the international diplomatic turds Trump is going to drop at Putin's behest. The summer is only starting to heat up, methinks.
diplomatic turds :point:

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:19 am

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:58 am

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ap-reports
North Koreans Are No Show at U.S. War Dead Talks, Yonhap Reports

"North Korean officials didn’t show up for a planned meeting with U.S. counterparts to discuss returning the remains of American war dead, South Korean media reported, in the latest sign of tensions between the two sides.

U.S. negotiators arrived Thursday at the militarized border between the two Koreas as previously announced by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and were kept waiting, the Yonhap News Agency reported, citing diplomatic officials it didn’t identify. The meeting was expected to be the first working-level talks between the two sides since Pompeo’s visit to Pyongyang ended Saturday with North Korea denouncing the U.S.’s “unilateral and gangster-like demand for denuclearization.”
Trump has expressed an eagerness to tout the recovery of the war dead, telling Fox News that Kim was “giving us back the remains of probably 7,500 soldiers.” He also told supporters in Nevada that North Korea had already handed over 200 sets of remains. Pompeo was obliged to correct those claims, telling a U.S. Senate committee June 27 that no exchanges have been made."

ImageImageImage x4

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Check out this tweet and read the translation of the letter KJU sent to Trump. It suggests something I suspected - KJU is going to continue getting as many photo ops with Trump as he can wrangle out of him. He's apparently hinting at a next meeting between the two already. :rotflmao: He's going to jerk Trump around as much as he can get away with.

Sit, Trump, sit. Good boy. Gives him a treat (compliment) while patting him on the head and smiling.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:33 pm

All Trump had to read (or hear) was "your excellency" and he rolled over like a puppy. Played like a crappy, 1/2 size kids violin.

ImageImageImage x4

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:33 pm
All Trump had to read (or hear) was "your excellency" and he rolled over like a puppy. Played like a crappy, 1/2 size kids violin.
What is so funny is that he posted this today, after we already know that the US contingent that was supposed to meet with North Koreans to talk about getting the remains of US soldiers were stood up. Oh, what am I thinking? Faux "news" viewers won't hear about that. They "know" that we have already received 200 sets of remains back (not true, another Trump lie), and now the leader of North Korea is showing his respect to "his excellency".

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Especially interesting based on this.

AFP news agency

@AFP
3h3 hours ago

#BREAKING US asks UN to cut off oil products to North Korea

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:34 pm

UN to Trump...as soon as you stop this stupid trade war.

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Jim wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:34 pm
Cut off oil supplies -- would require China to not veto. I think China will say something to the effect of "fuck you and the horse's ass you rode in on."

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:36 am

woodworker wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:37 pm
Jim wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:34 pm
Cut off oil supplies -- would require China to not veto. I think China will say something to the effect of "fuck you and the horse's ass you rode in on."
According to WaPo the US thinks that N.Korea has already imported their UN accepted quota for this year and wants the UN to interdict further smuggling of resources.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:37 am

U.S. urges U.N. to halt all oil transfers to North Korea

By Carol Morello July 12 at 1:52 PM

The United States said Thursday that North Korea has already exceeded the annual cap allowed for oil imports, and asked the United Nations to order an immediate halt to all transfers of oil to the country.

The request underscores the U.S. determination to keep squeezing North Korea through existing economic sanctions to get Pyongyang to give up its nuclear weapons that threaten the United States. Although tensions have eased up since President Trump met North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore last month, talks on denuclearization have hit a rocky spot since then.

North Korea characterized U.S. attitudes as being “gangster-like” when Secretary of State Mike Pompeo visited Pyongyang a week ago, and suggested it might not be willing to denuclearize after all. Sanctions adherence has slipped as trade has increased along China’s border with North Korea, which has been evading sanctions through dozens of open-sea oil transfers that are prohibited under U.N. sanctions.

In Thursday’s report submitted to the U.N. committee responsible for monitoring North Korean sanctions, the United States said North Korean tankers filled up with oil using ship-to-ship transfers at least 89 times in the first five months of 2018.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... story.html

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Washington Post -

In private, Trump vents frustration over lack of progress on North Korea
When he emerged from his summit with Kim Jong Un last month, President Trump triumphantly declared that North Korea no longer posed a nuclear threat and that one of the world’s most intractable geopolitical crises had been “largely solved.”

But in the days and weeks since then, U.S. negotiators have faced stiff resistance from a North Korean team practiced in the art of delay and obfuscation.

Diplomats say the North Koreans have canceled follow-up meetings, demanded more money and failed to maintain basic communications, even as the once-isolated regime’s engagements with China and South Korea flourish.

Meanwhile, a missile-engine testing facility that Trump said would be destroyed remains intact, and U.S. intelligence officials say Pyongyang is working to conceal key aspects of its nuclear program.

The lack of immediate progress, though predicted by many analysts, has frustrated the president, who has fumed at his aides in private even as he publicly hails the success of the negotiations.
It's a fairly long article detailing the frustrations that Americans have been experiencing in dealing with North Korea.

Gee... who could have predicted that?

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:17 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:41 pm
Washington Post -

In private, Trump vents frustration over lack of progress on North Korea
When he emerged from his summit with Kim Jong Un last month, President Trump triumphantly declared that North Korea no longer posed a nuclear threat and that one of the world’s most intractable geopolitical crises had been “largely solved.”

But in the days and weeks since then, U.S. negotiators have faced stiff resistance from a North Korean team practiced in the art of delay and obfuscation.

Diplomats say the North Koreans have canceled follow-up meetings, demanded more money and failed to maintain basic communications, even as the once-isolated regime’s engagements with China and South Korea flourish.

Meanwhile, a missile-engine testing facility that Trump said would be destroyed remains intact, and U.S. intelligence officials say Pyongyang is working to conceal key aspects of its nuclear program.

The lack of immediate progress, though predicted by many analysts, has frustrated the president, who has fumed at his aides in private even as he publicly hails the success of the negotiations.
It's a fairly long article detailing the frustrations that Americans have been experiencing in dealing with North Korea.

Gee... who could have predicted that?

Yeah, North Korea is being North Korea.

ImageImageImage x4

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:19 pm

“But... but he said he liked me!”

Looks like His Nibs is liked, but not well-liked.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:06 am

Is Kim really dismantling a satellite launcher as promied to dotus?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:54 am

Arirang News, South Korea's propaganda network, is spinning the embarrassing "summit" South Korea promoted and Trump engaged in and got played at.

(Sorry, Foogie, for ending phrases with prepositions.)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:03 am

Off Topic
I never criticize anyone ever for ending a phrase or a sentence with a preposition. I do it all the time; everyone does. If people were really strict about that, the English language would be unusable. I split infinitives. I splice with commas. I ignore all the stupid rules of grammar from the 18th century. Write English the way it's spoken, and try to go a whole day without ending a phrase or a sentence with a preposition in a spoken conversation. It can't be done. :nope:

Edit: Here's a split infinitive AND a phrase that ends in a preposition:

"To boldly go where no man has gone before!"

I defy anyone to improve that by rewording it. :boxing:

Welcome, seeker! (There's a seeker born every minute.)

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:11 am

Foggy wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:03 am
Off Topic
I never criticize anyone ever for ending a phrase or a sentence with a preposition. I do it all the time; everyone does. If people were really strict about that, the English language would be unusable. I split infinitives. I splice with commas. I ignore all the stupid rules of grammar from the 18th century. Write English the way it's spoken, and try to go a whole day without ending a phrase or a sentence with a preposition. It can't be done. :nope:
:thumbs: I even used the word insure instead of ensure just this morning, and didn't even fix it after I noticed it. :P Meh, we all makes misteaks.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:14 am

Grammar rules from another century, developed and imposed by self-appointed guardians of a language that even then did not follow their rules.

I personally think infinitives should be split early and often. The language is clumsy enough that avoiding that would only make things worse.

The point of grammar rules ought to be to ensure clear communication.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:15 am

Off Topic
Ending a phrase or a sentence with a preposition is NOT A MISTAKE. The "rule" is stupid and has been discarded by English teachers everywhere. It's not a rule. It's pining for the fjords. It's DEAD, Jim.

Tollie is right about obsolete rules of grammar.

Welcome, seeker! (There's a seeker born every minute.)

Return to “Foreign Policy”