Stock Market

RoadScholar

Re: Stock Market

Post by RoadScholar »

Fine by me. I have a lot in collectibles, which tend to go up when the stock markets go down. As long as they're bona fide rarities and you didn't buy them during a bubble.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants »

Yeah, it was a lot of fun knowing the market was going to open down over 900 points, in the middle of “I lost all my tax forms and am already at the cpa” season. I’ve discovered that answering the frantic calls quickly and calmly seems to assuage some fears.

I’m still heavily in the market because we still have some time left before we will need it and quite a few good blue chip stocks pay dividends that are much more attractive than these terribly low interest rates. I think the market is doing well despite Trump but I have no qualms about making money.

One of these days I’m going to get irritated enough with a “psychic” client to ask why a psychic needs to ask me what the market is going to do. 7, yes 7 times today.
Panch Villlain

Post by Panch Villlain »

The DOW was at 20 000 in Jan. 2017. Heading there now.
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Trump meant the Dow Joans. He's safe from the cannon. I wish this correction would happen four months down the road.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The guy that last week put 14 infected Coronavirus patients onto a plane with 300 people, against the advice of the CDC, is worried about the Virus's effect on the Stock market. Because without the Stock Market he has fuck all to boast about.
Kyle Griffin
@kylegriffin1
WaPo last week: Trump has told advisers that he does not want the administration to do or say anything regarding the Coronavirus outbreak that would further spook the markets. He remains worried that any large-scale outbreak could hurt his reelection bid.

https://t.co/0QeqNu0C0X?amp=1
Posted after the Dow lost 1000 points in a day. Because the dow and the Cronavirus are the same thing to put in a tweet.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
19h
The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
3h
Cryin’ Chuck Schumer is complaining, for publicity purposes only, that I should be asking for more money than $2.5 Billion to prepare for Coronavirus. If I asked for more he would say it is too much. He didn’t like my early travel closings. I was right. He is incompetent!
Reminder, this guy shut down the entire Pandemic section of the CDC and NSC. And I would guess the "early travel closings" part is another reference to the stock market.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Sterngard Friegen wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:58 am The market will bounce back tomorrow. By between 30% and 50%.
Which tomorrow..? :think: :?
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

The CNBC pundits all said (and are trying to say today), don't worry, it'll come back and even be bigger. Larry Kudlow just said this might be a good time to buy stocks (if you have a long time horizon). Liar. -785 at 2:19pm.

They've buried this story which was the screaming headline yesterday:
Turnaround Tuesday? Stocks tend to bounce back quickly from market drops like this one
PUBLISHED MON, FEB 24 20205:07 PM EST UPDATED MON, FEB 24 20206:10 PM EST
Pippa Stevens @PIPPASTEVENS13

The major averages all slid more than 3% on Monday as the number of reported coronavirus cases outside of China rose. If history is any indication stocks may be set for a relief rally on Tuesday. According to Bespoke Investment Group, since March 2009 the S&P 500 has fallen more than 2% during a Monday session 18 other times, and that in 15 of the prior instances the index rose the following day, for an average gain of 1.02%.
Monday’s trading session was a bloodbath for the market as all major indices slid more than 3%, but if history is any indication, Tuesday might prove to be a different story entirely.

According to Bespoke Investment Group, Monday was the 19th time the S&P 500 has shed more than 2% on a Monday, going back to March 2009. In the prior instances, following a hefty slide the index has, on average, returned 1.02% the next day as these drops have “historically been bought with a vengeance in the near term,” the firm said. Bespoke found that in 17 out of the 18 prior instances the S&P 500 also had a positive return over the subsequent week, with an average gain of 3.16%. Over the next month, there was an average gain of 6.08%.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 3.56%, or 1,031 points on Monday, while the S&P 500 and Nasdaq fell 3.35% and 3.71%, respectively. Slicing the data even further, Bespoke found that when the S&P 500 drops more than 1% on Friday and more than 2% the following Monday — as the index has currently done — Tuesday’s gain is, on average, slightly higher at 1.5%. The following week’s gain stands at 3.98%, on average, with the subsequent month’s gain coming in at 6.47%.

Since the SPY, which tracks the S&P 500, began trading in 1993, it has only fallen more than 1% on a Friday and more than 2% the following Monday 13 other times. The last instance was in December 2018. Monday’s sell-off was sparked by a surge in reported coronavirus cases outside of China, fueling fears of a prolonged global economic slowdown. “The fact that the market is down a lot like this today I don’t think is surprising given that people are rightly concerned that it may be spreading,” Bespoke’s Paul Hickey said Monday on CNBC’s “Power Lunch.” “We don’t know where it will go, and that’s the problem ... as data comes in, only time will tell.”

He said that data out of China cannot be 100% trusted, meaning that data coming out of other countries is being closely watched, which is why the increase in cases from Italy and South Korea, for example, “rightfully” freaked out many investors. “If we go tonight and there’s not another big escalation of cases, I think you could just as easily see the market up strongly tomorrow on some relief,” he said.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/24/turnaro ... s-one.html

Let's keep a list of the pumpers who were shown to be absolutely wrong:

1. Bespoke’s Paul Hickey
Avatar: LDIT's Post-election #FAIL record in court. And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

CNBC is almost fun to listen to these days. I heard the Kudlow interview there. DJIA down 894 at time of this post.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
tek

Post by tek »

Kudlow is such a goddamn idiot.

I don't think he's ever been right about anything. Which explains his presence in the Trump White House.
There's no way back
from there to here
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

It's currently down 832 points from yesterday
tek

Post by tek »

This graph looks like "irrational exuberance" to me.. but I'm an engineer..

d-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

"irrational Exuberance" is pretty much what the Stock market is built on
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

neonzx wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:54 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:58 am The market will bounce back tomorrow. By between 30% and 50%.
Which tomorrow..? :think: :?
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Swung from a +200 on the Dow Futures to a -200. It was -150 at 4am. S&P is included :P

430am 2-26-20.JPG

Futures reversed course to move lower as U.S. stocks look set to continue their worst two-day rout in more than four years amid heightened concern the coronavirus will upend global economic growth.

As of 4 a.m. ET Wednesday, futures on the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 152 points, pointing to an implied opening loss of 98.36 points for the index. S&P 500 and Nasdaq futures also pointed to opening losses for the two indexes on Wednesday.

Futures had started brightly Wednesday morning but reversed course through the early hours. Futures also bounced initially Monday evening before the market fell again on Tuesday. Investors are awaiting updates on the coronavirus infections around the world, especially in China, South Korea and Italy.

Stocks plunged for a second day on Tuesday, with the Dow tumbling 879 points, bringing its two-day losses to nearly 1,900 points. The S&P 500 wiped out a whopping $1.7 trillion in just two sessions. The equity benchmark nosedived 6.3% since Monday, suffering its biggest two-day drop since August 2015.

“Investors are clearly expecting more bad news — and rather than wait for it, they are selling,” Brad McMillan, chief investment officer at Commonwealth Financial Network, said in a note. “There are signs in the electronics and auto industries that the slowdown is already happening, which will be a drag on growth. This risk is largely behind the recent pullback in global markets.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/dow-fut ... slide.html

Of course it could swing back... and if IMPOTUS and Larry Kudlow say it's a screaming time to BUY, it must be, right? :towel:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avatar: LDIT's Post-election #FAIL record in court. And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

The DAX and FTSE are down in early trading. I think it's safe to say that global markets are finally understanding that the coronavirus doesn't have to be super lethal to seriously fuck with just-in-time supply chains, not to mention the travel and hospitality sectors. Bond yields are ridiculously low, gold and the dollar are up. Can you say "flight to security?"
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

The stock market has been a house of cards lately anyway. This merely shows how weak the supporting columns are. Other economic indicators haven't shown nearly as much growth to justify the growth of recent months.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
Sterngard Friegen

U.S. Stock Futures
S&P -46.50 / -1.50%
Level 3,063.75
Fair Value 3,115.63
Difference -51.88
Data as of 12:05am ET
Nasdaq -133.75 / -1.51%
Level 8,716.50
Fair Value 8,877.71
Difference -161.21
Dow -407.00 / -1.51%
Level 26,507.00
NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

This may have something to do with today's awful start....
Goldman Sachs revised its earnings estimate for the year for U.S. companies to $165 per share, representing 0% growth in 2020.

This is a dramatic break from the consensus forecast of Wall Street, which still calls for earnings to climb 7% this year.

“Our reduced profit forecasts reflect the severe decline in Chinese economic activity in 1Q, lower end-demand for US exporters, disruption to the supply chain for many US firms, a slowdown in US economic activity, and elevated business uncertainty,” the firm’s chief U.S. equity strategist David Kostin said in a note to clients.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/27/goldman ... I6r3GUVZho
Am I being detained?
Sterngard Friegen

Sophisticated investors are letting us know what they think of the competence of the Trump Administration in dealing with a crisis which affects the entire world and was not of Trump's own making.
Panch Villlain

Post by Panch Villlain »

The Dow Jones all-time high was

Closing 29,551.42 Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Now at

More than 6,000 points to go down until the era Trump is nullified.

Btw, does the Princess still keep her calm?
Sterngard Friegen

I moved all my stocks into bonds on August 7, 2019. The Dow closed at 26,007 on that date.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Sterngard Friegen wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:20 am I moved all my stocks into bonds on August 7, 2019. The Dow closed at 26,007 on that date.
I'm opened to suggestions on what to do with my small pile....
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:58 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:20 am I moved all my stocks into bonds on August 7, 2019. The Dow closed at 26,007 on that date.
If you have 10 years or more until retirement, just leave your stocks alone.

The biggest problem for investors is that they see the stock market sliding and pull their money out. Then they sit on the sidelines and miss the subsequent turnaround in the market.
Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

NotaPerson wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:10 am This may have something to do with today's awful start....

“Our reduced profit forecasts reflect the severe decline in Chinese economic activity in 1Q, lower end-demand for US exporters, disruption to the supply chain for many US firms, a slowdown in US economic activity, and elevated business uncertainty,” the firm’s chief U.S. equity strategist David Kostin said in a note to clients.
So trump's plan to destroy China's economy to force his big, beautiful trade deal isn't such a good idea?
ImageImageImage x4
Sterngard Friegen

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:06 pm
p0rtia wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:58 am
If you have 10 years or more until retirement, just leave your stocks alone.

The biggest problem for investors is that they see the stock market sliding and pull their money out. Then they sit on the sidelines and miss the subsequent turnaround in the market.
My personal investments are in real estate. The stocks were owned by my 529 Plan for my daughter's law school edumacation. Together with her scholarship I have more than enough for the balance of her time. (She's also at the top of her class, so I anticipate her summer clerkships will be cut short by Law Review responsibilities. I have enough to cover everything.)

Since I had enough, I wanted to lock in the amount, not subject to the vicissitudes of an autocrat's lunacy and incompetence. So I am watching the bottom falling out of the stock markets without a dog in the fight.

Return to “Economy”