Jobs

Addie

Jobs

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:53 pm

[/break1]bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a2Yim9.Ju09g&pos=2]Bloomberg, April 19, 2011April 19 (Bloomberg) -- Payrolls rose in 38 U.S. states in March, indicating improvement in the labor market is broadening.Texas, with a 37,200 increase, and Missouri, at 24,300, showed the biggest gains in employment from February, figures from the Labor Department showed today in Washington. The jobless rate fell in 34 states, with the largest decline in New Mexico, where it fell by 0.6 percentage point to 8.1 percent.The report is consistent with government figures released April 1 that showed the nation added 216,000 workers in March, the most since May 2010, and unemployment dropped to a two-year low of 8.8 percent. Improvement in hiring across a wider swath is helping sustain consumer spending, the biggest part of the economy.“We’re seeing pretty uniform improvement now,” Michael Englund, chief economist at Action Economics in Boulder, Colorado, said before the report. “Geographically, unemployment is declining in most places.”
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

kate520

Jobs

Post by kate520 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:29 pm

Cue the wing nut screeching that it's due to all the tea partiers they elected and the extension of tax cuts for gazillionaires and the busting of the unions in 5...4...3...
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

Jobs

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:58 am

[/break1]excite.com/article/20110817/D9P5P4881.html]Associated Press

AP source: Obama to give major jobs speech

WASHINGTON (AP) - Seeking a jolt for a wilting economy, President Barack Obama will give a major speech in early September to unveil new ideas for speeding up job growth and helping the struggling poor and middle class, a senior administration official told The Associated Press.

The president's plan is likely to contain tax cuts, jobs-boosting infrastructure ideas and steps that would specifically help the long-term unemployed. The official emphasized that all of Obama's proposals would be fresh ones, not a rehash of plans he has pitched for many weeks and still supports, including his "infrastructure bank" idea to finance construction jobs.

On a significant and related front, Obama will also present a specific plan to cut the suffocating long-term national debt and to pay for the cost of his new short-term economic ideas.

His debt proposal will be bigger than the $1.5 trillion package that a new "supercommittee" of Congress must come up with by late November.

Sterngard Friegen

Jobs

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:59 am

September is too late.

TexasFilly

Jobs

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:05 am

September is too late.So, he's introducing specific jobs proposals, which you have been demanding, but you want him to do it yesterday?
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Sterngard Friegen

Jobs

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:18 am

September is too late.So, he's introducing specific jobs proposals, which you have been demanding, but you want him to do it yesterday?Yes. He's had since last October to figure it out. September is too late.

TollandRCR

Jobs

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:20 am

This is editorializing in what purports to be a straight news story:"to cut the suffocating long-term national debt."
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

TexasFilly

Jobs

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:20 am

September is too late.So, he's introducing specific jobs proposals, which you have been demanding, but you want him to do it yesterday?Yes. He's had since last October to figure it out. September is too late.Absent that time machine, he has to live in the here and now. September is two weeks away, Congress is not in session now, and they won't agree to anything when they come back anyway. And, that's pretty much the way things have been since October too. Also.

Sterngard Friegen

Jobs

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:22 am

True, 'Filly.I also like Tollie's point. The debt is suffocating because it's pulled all the oxygen out of the political debate we should be having, but it is editorializing.

TollandRCR

Jobs

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:24 am

[/break1]excite.com/article/20110817/D9P5P4881.html]Associated Press

AP source: Obama to give major jobs speech

WASHINGTON (AP) - ....jobs-boosting infrastructure ideasPlease, no more roads. Fix the existing ones and make real sure the bridges and tunnels are safe. Then get started on Foggy's green economy.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

raicha

Jobs

Post by raicha » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:41 pm

This is editorializing in what purports to be a straight news story:"to cut the suffocating long-term national debt."Do you not agree that we have suffocating long-term debt? I'm sort of the opinion that this is no longer a matter of opinion. --> Seems to me the matter of opinion is how we get out from under it.

TexasFilly

Jobs

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:56 pm

This is editorializing in what purports to be a straight news story:"to cut the suffocating long-term national debt."Do you not agree that we have suffocating long-term debt? I'm sort of the opinion that this is no longer a matter of opinion. --> Seems to me the matter of opinion is how we get out from under it.Not really. Some economists, who are far more intelligent than I about these matters, say it's really the debt/GDP ratio that is important. It's my understanding that this ratio has been much higher at certain times in American history than it is now (during WWII, for example). If you get folks back to work, then revenues will rise, (they will also rise if the uber-wealthy has to pay their fair share). More folks working yields a higher GDP, ratio becomes more favorable. That, as I understand it, is the nutshell version.

A Legal Lohengrin

Jobs

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:59 pm

This is editorializing in what purports to be a straight news story:"to cut the suffocating long-term national debt."Do you not agree that we have suffocating long-term debt? I'm sort of the opinion that this is no longer a matter of opinion. --> Seems to me the matter of opinion is how we get out from under it.It is idiotic to make a financial catastrophe even worse by ignoring urgent and immediate concerns in favor of issues which may be of long term concern, but are simply not of immediate concern. The only reason Republicans chose now to make this an issue is that it is a good dog-whistle issue.That said, of course we need to deal with it. This is the absolute worst time possible, though.

speakyourmind

Jobs

Post by speakyourmind » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:11 am

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, Mr. President, don't come out with another non-sensical "infrastructure" plan to create jobs in America. For once in your ultra-liberal life, come forth with a plan for government to do what it does best in relation to jobs...GET OUT OF THE WAY!

realist

Jobs

Post by realist » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:15 am

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, Mr. President, don't come out with another non-sensical "infrastructure" plan to create jobs in America. For once in [highlight]your ultra-liberal life,[/highlight] come forth with a plan for government to do what it does best in relation to jobs...GET OUT OF THE WAY!Obama ultra liberal? :lol: He's barely left enough (and many think he's not) to call himself a Democrat.
ImageX 4 ImageX36

speakyourmind

Jobs

Post by speakyourmind » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:35 am

Reality trumpred his agenda, and nothing more. If he hadn't been forced to deal with this economy, we'd be on our way to only God knows what. He basically ignored the economy in his first two years, as he spent every moment seeking a trojan horse to ram through Obamacare skirting the Legislative process. Thank God the courts are striking down this monstrosity. By the team he leaves after his only term as President, hopefully any traces of his misguided adventures will have been erased, and we'll all be able to move on.Oh, and in what ways has he NOT been liberal or Democrat enough for you?

Plutodog

Jobs

Post by Plutodog » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:08 am

Oh, and in what ways has he NOT been liberal or Democrat enough for you?That's a whole 'nother thread, speak, but with the way you're interpreting reality, it's also a whole 'nother frustration bothering to try to get through to you anyhow. ](*,)
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

speakyourmind

Jobs

Post by speakyourmind » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:33 am

Oh, and in what ways has he NOT been liberal or Democrat enough for you?That's a whole 'nother thread, speak, but with the way you're interpreting reality, it's also a whole 'nother frustration bothering to try to get through to you anyhow. ](*,)Go ahead. Take the challenge....I won't give up if you won't.PLEASE HELP ME.... {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif

Plutodog

Jobs

Post by Plutodog » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:37 am

Go ahead. Take the challenge....I won't give up if you won't.PLEASE HELP ME.... {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif
Off Topic
Look up, speak -- the thread topic is "Jobs". If you really care to learn, try looking back in the archives here. Idiots on the right have long claimed we just love Obama because he's black and liberal. Neither is true but it's no shock you haven't a clue on that either
Edit: To remove excess heck vorba
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Sterngard Friegen

Jobs

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:44 am

Please don't quote this new poster haec verba. I have him on ignore and would prefer not to read his lectures. Thank you.

speakyourmind

Jobs

Post by speakyourmind » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:55 am

Please don't quote this new poster haec verba. I have him on ignore and would prefer not to read his lectures. Thank you.

LALALALALALALALALLALALLALALALA

Refuse to speak to those I disagree with.

LLALALALALALLLALALALLALALLLAL

Yep, this is one intellectual heavyweight set of posters on this board. =D>

John Thomas8

Jobs

Post by John Thomas8 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:03 am

You called him "ultra-liberal" when he's a right-of-center corporatist, even to the right of ol' tricky dick.So, when you come in with guns a-blazin' spouting norquist talking points, the responses are going to be.....less than enthusiastic.

speakyourmind

Jobs

Post by speakyourmind » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:45 pm

You called him "ultra-liberal" when he's a right-of-center corporatist, even to the right of ol' tricky dick.So, when you come in with guns a-blazin' spouting norquist talking points, the responses are going to be.....less than enthusiastic.Engage, debate, tell me where i'm wrong. After all this IS a discussion board, isn't it? BTW, I have no idea who "Norquist" is. :-k

ducktape

Jobs

Post by ducktape » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:25 pm

Engage, debate, tell me where i'm wrong. After all this IS a discussion board, isn't it? BTW, I have no idea who "Norquist" is. :-kOh, aren't you a cute little troll.If you are really so ignorant that you don't know who Grover Norquist is, then you demonstrate why debating with you is a waste of time. You don't even care enough to educate yourself before you come in spouting your talking points. That's not debate -- that's just amateur trolling.Why do you think you're going to persuade anyone other than your other Tea Tards who are as ignorant as you. There is no debate with an ignorant fool, and you have just admitted your ignorance. Are you the BEST they have? Jesus -- no wonder. Back to ignore.

Addie

Jobs

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:26 pm

[/break1]msnbc.msn.com/id/44343546/#.Tl7BgPTLZg4]MSNBC

Boehner rejects Obama date for jobs speech

Top congressional Republican John Boehner on Wednesday urged President Barack Obama to delay a planned jobs speech to a joint session of Congress by a day in order to avoid "impediments."

Obama had asked to address Congress at 8 p.m. EDT next Wednesday, a time that overlaps with a previously scheduled Republican presidential debate at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California, sponsored by NBC News and POLITICO.

"It is my recommendation that your address be held on the following evening, when we can ensure there will be no parliamentary or logistical impediments that might detract from your remarks," Boehner, the speaker of the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, said in a letter to the president.

"I respectfully invite you to address a Joint Session of Congress on Thursday, September 8, 2011 in the House Chamber, at a time that works best for your schedule," he said.

NBC's Luke Russert tweeted on Wednesday evening that the House historian labeled Boehner's public rebuff as unprecedented. :evil:

Return to “Economy”