Online Grocery Shopping

Addie

Online Grocery Shopping

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:36 pm

CNN
Amazon-Whole Foods one year later: The grocery business will never be the same

Whole Foods doesn't look much different since Amazon bought it a year ago. Salmon and avocados are a little cheaper. Shoppers are greeted by ads for Echos. Workers wear uniforms with the light blue Prime logo.

To find the big changes, look at the rest of the grocery business.

Incumbents like Walmart (WMT), Kroger (KR), Costco (COST), and Target (TGT) have taken aggressive steps, in store and online, to wall off Amazon (AMZN).

Each has expanded online delivery and in-store pickup, poured money into supply chains and technology improvements, and kept prices low, even in the face of higher costs, to prevent customer defections.

"This has been a big wakeup call," said Bill Bishop, co-founder of the grocery retail consulting firm Brick Meets Click.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Re: Online Grocery Shopping

Post by Orlylicious » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:10 pm

It's a huge shift, any minute now our ZIP will get Amazon Now with Whole Foods delivery and restaurants, bracing for it :lol: We've used these kind of services since the beginning, still have Kozmo merch (that was the first movie and snacks delivery online service in Manhattan). For sure others are stepping up, Wal Mart does free delivery now without a subscription like prime, good for heavy items. Looking forward to the future :P
Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:14 pm

I am seeing the personal shoppers setting up the online orders in my local Safeway and Fred Meyer. Haven't tried them yet, but I do make the effort to get out early in the AM before the family crowd gets up and going. No offense to the kidlets, but them running loose in the store is a personal bugaboo of mine.

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:19 pm

Dawn will typically do a grocery order online and then pick it up on her way home from work at Meijer or Kroger. Works nicely actually. I don't care for it, because I'm quite picky about my fresh veggies and they will "substitute" things if they can't find what you have requested. That substitution doesn't always work all that well.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:19 pm

I don't care for Whole Paycheck myself.

For us it's either Trader Joe's, the local Farmers market, or a nice local grocery store. (Sunset foods, or Jimenez Carniceria).

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:19 pm
I don't care for Whole Paycheck myself.

For us it's either Trader Joe's, the local Farmers market, or a nice local grocery store. (Sunset foods, or Jimenez Carniceria).
I try not to shop at Whole Foods, but when we are in San Francisco for extended periods (work and/or grandchildren), the 2-hour delivery can be a godsend. So I use it. Reluctantly. Even though the delivered goods aren't as high quality as they should be, particularly fruits and veggies.

Grocery shopping in SF is a nightmare, because 90% of the stores cater mostly to people who do little cooking. I do a lot of cooking. Who wants to go to three different stores for, let's say, a nice batch of green chile stew? I do not.

The city that has the best grocery shopping? Portland, OR, hands down. When I went there for the Bundy trials and stayed in an airbnb, it was heaven to shop there.
Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:40 pm

Whole Foods might be in my backyard, but to go into Seattle proper to shop there? Not gonna (sic) happen, same as for the Amazon Go stores, as much fun as they sound.

No small time grocery stores in the big 'burbs (love TJ's though), but if I must have fresh fresh produce, there's Carpinito Bros in the south end that has the freshest ever, they yank it out of the ground and drive it to their shop. Best. Green Beans. Ever.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm old. I refuse to change my ways. When I buy groceries I go for the pick of the litter. I doubt they'd do the same when filling my order.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:50 pm

I just have to chuckle at the idea of grocery delivery being the now thing.

When I was little, late '50s, there were five of us sisters (I was #4). My oldest sister was not quite 8 when littlest sister was born, so we were all about 2 years apart (can you imagine!). It was a godsend that the local grocery store would delivery. You would place a call to the store and tell them what you needed. This was back in the days when grocery stores had their own butchers. There's the famous time (famous in our family, at least) when Mom had laryngitis and my sister who was probably 6 at the time had to place the order. Life in small town Wisconsin.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Honest green tomatoes and crookneck squashes.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:00 pm

I can see the value to some of it, but I can't see forking out the money Whole Paycheck expects for their products, delivered or not. I will buy some few things from them OCCASIONALLY, but only very occasionally. I can almost always do better elsewhere on just every thing else. I haven't tried any of the other delivery services yet as I haven't needed to, and truth he told I like to shop, for large bulk items I can and will.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:06 pm

My favorite local small grocery chain has been having "Hatch Chile Days."

The roast them if their bbq smoker.

OMG they are good.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:26 am

The biggest drawback to Portland ME is no Peapod delivery.

Target sent ads this week that they are now delivering anything from their stores via Instacart. They guarantee delivery in a couple of hours. Problem is they add $1 or $2 to each item, plus a delivery charge. That adds up fast. Also an annual fee. ($49 now, usually $99.). Also, Target isn’t a full grocery store.

Now that W2 is officially retired, he’s doing more of the weekly grocery shopping. He did his first Amazon Pantry this week. Kinda weird to see a big box of toilet paper and paper towels.

Unlike Boston, our neighborhood here doesn’t have a huge number of places to buy fresh fruit and vegetables. The seafood however... :swoon: :lovestruck:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:07 am

All those cashiers who were going to "lose their jobs" when the Kroger added more self-service check outs? Yeah, they're (and several new employees) are now pushing those big blue racks around pulling stuff off the shelves to deliver to Betsy and Chad who are waiting in their car in the ever-increasing pick-and-go reserved spaces out front. They've gone from 4 reserved spaces to about a dozen and they're remodeling the store again and we suspect adding more reserved spaces. They've also added 6 more self-check out lines. They do have beautiful fresh veggies though and use a lot of local produce, and the produce manager is a veggie Nazi. Their stuff sometimes looks better than what's available at the farmer's market or on the back of a truck. And their bakery is beyond fabulous.

I still can't find a damn parking place though.

vic

Post by vic » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:47 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:07 am
All those cashiers who were going to "lose their jobs" when the Kroger added more self-service check outs? Yeah, they're (and several new employees) are now pushing those big blue racks around pulling stuff off the shelves to deliver to Betsy and Chad who are waiting in their car in the ever-increasing pick-and-go reserved spaces out front. They've gone from 4 reserved spaces to about a dozen and they're remodeling the store again and we suspect adding more reserved spaces. They've also added 6 more self-check out lines. They do have beautiful fresh veggies though and use a lot of local produce, and the produce manager is a veggie Nazi. Their stuff sometimes looks better than what's available at the farmer's market or on the back of a truck. And their bakery is beyond fabulous.

I still can't find a damn parking place though.
But do they have wax beans? :-D

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:05 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:42 pm
I'm old. I refuse to change my ways. When I buy groceries I go for the pick of the litter. I doubt they'd do the same when filling my order.
:yeah: Me too. Also. But my busy daughter-in-law does it. She uses it mostly for standard stuff and says it actually saves her money in the long run because she isn't trapped in seeing all the stuff she'd easily grab without even thinking about it that she didn't really need anyway, so she says it takes a big bite out of impulse shopping. I guess she's probably right about that.
Birfers are toast

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:48 am

BJ's just sent us an email announcing online grocery delivery service here on the North Fork. Will have to give it a try.

http://ebm.email.bjs.com/c/tag/hBbi9DHA ... aydelivery
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:14 am

Online grocery shopping (both delivery and "click and collect") was common the whole time we were in the UK. We kind of liked shopping for ourselves, but it sometimes looked as if half the neighborhood was getting regular delivery from either Tesco or Waitrose.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Janny in Texas

Post by Janny in Texas » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:47 am

We've used order and pick up from both Kroger and Walmart. Kroger will inform you if they don't have what you ordered and offer a substitute that you can take or not. When my husband had hip surgery and couldn't drive we used delivery from Market Street ($10 delivery charge) (which normally has higher prices) and it was really great for us since, due to vision problems, I don't drive any more.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:59 am

Walmart has started online grocery shopping and delivery. I haven't used it yet, but I might. I'd do just about anything to avoid shopping and most likely the delivery charge competes favorably with my round trip cab fare and tips. If Amazon had online grocery shopping in Mexico, I would probably order from there. They've performed a goddamn miracle with delivery service here and there's no delivery charge. I already order household items, things like vitamins, paper goods, dish liquid, laundry detergent, etc., from Amazon.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

vic

Post by vic » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:47 pm

I’m waiting right now for delivery from Vons/pavilions. I have a pinched nerve in my neck which has bothered me for a couple of weeks now and the only times I’ve been out is when my neighbor takes me to the doctors.

I prefer to go to the grocery store so that I can choose my produce and if something I want isn’t available make a informed decision on a replacement. But a couple of years ago I managed a two-fer of both a respiratory infection and a drug reaction which made it difficult to shop and I used this service for a couple of months.

With luck I’ll be able to my own shopping next week.

A few years before I had tried Amazon prime fresh but found that I was still going to the market. After a few months about the only thing I used it for was prepared ( refrigerated) foods from Los Angeles restaurants.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Market Watch
Walmart, Ford partner to test grocery delivery with self-driving cars

Walmart Inc. WMT, -0.90% said Wednesday it was partnering with Ford Motor Co. F, +0.31% to test a grocery delivery service using self-driving vehicles. The pilot program is taking place in Miami-Dade County in Florida. Walmart said Postmates, which is already connected to Ford's digital platform, serves as its delivery partner in Miami. "Walmart and Ford agree autonomous vehicles have an important role to play as we consider the future of delivery," said Tom Ward, senior vice president of digital operations at Walmart U.S. Analyst Jeremy Acevedo at Edmunds said for Ford, "doubling down" on the commercial side of self-driving technology is a safer bet for Ford, but could be one that pays off well in the end. "Solving commercial challenges is far easier than solving commuter ones, and is most likely the area where self-driving technology will take off first," Acevedo wrote in a note. Walmart's stock rose 0.7% in premarket trade while Ford shares gained 0.2%. Over the past three months, Walmart's stock has hiked up 14.8%, Ford shares have gained 0.9% and the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, -0.22% has edged up 0.4%.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:06 pm

I use Peapod, which has ties to Stop and Shop and Giant groceries. I have had good luck with the produce. I think that mostly depends upon the produce manager. It may save me money if it eliminates most impulse buys. The fee is usually $6.95 plus a tip.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:59 pm

Most of the grocery stores around me have online, delivery or pick-up service, but I prefer to do my own shopping. I'm sure there could come a time when I might feel differently, but I like going out and doing it myself. I certainly do my share of online shopping, but I also like to get out to the mall or some other stores on my own.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Addie wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:50 pm
Market Watch
Walmart, Ford partner to test grocery delivery with self-driving cars
:snippity:
Driverless? Will that include a springloaded device to fling your delivery into the general direction of your porch? Or will it be a Transformer that will shapeshift on the curb to deliver the box to your frontdoor? :doh:

Return to “Economy”