Jobs

Judge Roy Bean

Re: Jobs

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:12 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:39 pm
:snippity:
I switched to Costco's Kirkland brand, which is still sturdy enough to be usable. They discount Kleenex brand all the time, making them cheaper than the Kirkland brand, but Kirkland's higher quality justifies the higher price.
:yeah:

“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:33 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:03 am
So, taking the last 3 posts together, manufacturing jobs are declining whilst service jobs are increasing. :?
I'm not even sure about the service jobs. Walmart, Sam's Club, Macy's, Target are all closing stores, too. And a chunk of service jobs will be replaced over the coming years by robots. I forget which fast food joint owner recently said that if they keep raising the minimum wage, he would replace people with robots.

And in spite of the 500 coal jobs that I've seen were recently added, I know of at least two mines in this area that have closed or are closing in the coming months that laid off more than those 500 people.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:51 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:25 pm
This was quite telling also:
Elliott went on, “It was an easy vote for me. Not just because of ‘The Apprentice.’ We believed in him here at Carrier. The vast majority of us. It was Trump deluxe in there. I told people, ‘He’s gonna find a cause somewhere. He’s gonna be a savior.’ Little did I know the cause was gonna be us."
There's a sucker born every minute

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:58 pm

My wife works for a diet food/weight loss program company (not Oprah's).

They can't get anyone to work for them.

They are desperate for applicants that can pass a background check, wear clean, buisness casual clothes and work part time hours.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:15 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:58 pm
My wife works for a diet food/weight loss program company (not Oprah's).

They can't get anyone to work for them.

They are desperate for applicants that can pass a background check, wear clean, buisness casual clothes and work part time hours.
Here's a thought: Offer decent wages and benefits and qualified people will apply.

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:35 pm

It's an easy part time job. The wages are not that bad, and they do give out bonuses if you beat your quota.

It's actually an excellent job for an empty nester.

The problem is that it is essentially a sales position. No one wants to do that anymore.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:49 pm

Just gonna drop this here...

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:09 am

The Atlantic
In Trump's First Year, the U.S. Lost Almost 10,000 Solar Jobs

Since the end of the Great Recession, two things have been true of the American solar industry: It was growing like gangbusters, and basically everyone liked it.

From 2010 to 2016, the number of solar jobs in the United States nearly tripled, roaring from about 93,000 to more than 260,000. In 2016 alone, the solar industry grew 17 times faster than the U.S. economy. By the end of that year, there weren’t only more solar workers than coal miners; there were more people working in the solar industry than were employed by every oil, gas, and coal-burning power plant put together.

What’s more, Americans of all stripes thought the technology was pretty good. In 2016, almost 90 percent of Americans told the Pew Research Center that they supported building solar, more than endorsed any other energy source. These results even held in similar polls in deep-red Tennessee.

Well, that was nice while it lasted. In his State of the Union address last week, the only energy source that President Trump mentioned was “beautiful, clean coal,” ending a 14-year streak of presidential lip service for renewables. And while there’s no sign that public support for solar has eroded, the industry’s run of unbroken, year-over-year growth has come to a close as well.

The U.S. solar industry lost about 9,800 jobs in 2017, ending a seven-year streak of nonstop growth and reducing its size to about 250,000 people, according to a new census from the nonpartisan Solar Foundation released Wednesday.

¡Sterngard! come home.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:57 am

Looking back

1960: "Harvest of Shame"
We used to own our slaves; now we just rent them."
This scene is not taking place in the Congo. It has nothing to do with Johannesburg or Cape Town. It is not Nyasaland or Nigeria. This is Florida. These are citizens of the United States, 1960. This is a shape-up for migrant workers.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:42 pm

The Guardian
Robots are the ultimate job stealers. Blame them, not immigrants

All across America, one hears the story of the weary white, male worker waiting in line for the American dream. This worker sees the federal government giving special help to people he perceives as line-cutters. Some who benefit from this help are citizens (black people, women, public-sector workers), and others are not (immigrants, refugees, recipients of American foreign aid).

We can well understand the worn patience of the one waiting in line, because in truth, for most middle- and lower-income Americans, the line has stalled or moved back. For the most part, though, the real line-cutters are not people one can blame or politicians can thunder against. That’s because they’re not people. They’re robots.

Nothing is changing the face of American industry faster than automation, and nowhere is that change more stark than in the cornerstone of Louisiana’s industrial wealth: oil.

According to a 2017 Bloomberg report, Nabors Industries, the world’s largest onshore driller, expects to cut the average number of workers at each oil well site from 20 to five. “To me, it’s not just about automating the rig, it’s about automating everything upstream of the rig,” said BP’s head of upstream technology.

¡Sterngard! come home.

tek

Post by tek » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:25 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:27 pm

Trump not keeping up with his promise to keep US jobs alive ( :o )
Toys ‘R’ Us Is Prepping to Liquidate Its U.S. Operations

March 8, 2018, 10:15 PM GMT+1 Updated on March 9, 2018, 3:01 PM GMT+1

Situation is fluid, and rescue deal could still emerge
Retailer entered bankruptcy last year with $5 billion in debt

Toys “R” Us Inc. is making preparations for a liquidation of its bankrupt U.S. operations after so far failing to find a buyer or reach a debt restructuring deal with lenders, according to people familiar with the matter.

While the situation is still fluid, a shutdown of the U.S. division has become increasingly likely in recent days, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the information is private. Hopes are fading that a buyer will emerge to keep some of the business operating, or that lenders will agree on terms of a debt restructuring, the people said.

The toy chain’s U.S. division entered bankruptcy in September, planning to emerge with a leaner business model and more manageable debt. A new $3.1 billion loan was obtained to keep the stores open during the turnaround effort, but results worsened more than expected during the holidays, casting doubt on the chain’s viability.

“While a Chapter 11 bankruptcy provides a company with breathing space, it is incumbent on the debtors’ management to show how it intends to reorganize as a going concern,” said Gregory Plotko, a partner in the bankruptcy practice at Richards Kibbe & Orbe LLP. “My sense is that the major creditor group has not yet heard a compelling enough story, nor has a ‘white knight’ appeared.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... operations

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Around the world people move to where jobs exist. The excess laborers of western Pennsylvania can become employees in many other places if they can read, write, and do calculations. I understand the desire to stay where one’s family has lived for many generations, but sometimes that desire cannot be practical. I also understand that some workers do not now have the skills necessary for good jobs in the current economy.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:22 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:04 pm
Around the world people move to where jobs exist. The excess laborers of western Pennsylvania can become employees in many other places if they can read, write, and do calculations. I understand the desire to stay where one’s family has lived for many generations, but sometimes that desire cannot be practical. I also understand that some workers do not now have the skills necessary for good jobs in the current economy.
:thumbs: I wonder how many of the displaced workers choose not to move. Of course there are likely difficulties of selling your home during this time, etc.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:12 am

It may be easy to relocate if you own a car, are single, and have at least some marketable skills. But for many folks, they’re relying on extended family for food, shelter, and - especially for women without access to affordable birth control - free care for their children. Or these folks are the ones relied upon to help out with elderly relatives or other siblings with worse financial issues. It isn’t always easy to just leave home.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:05 am

My contract ends on 9/28, so the job hunt has begun. It will be slow at first, but will pick up speed in the next few weeks.

I'm hitting a mid-career crisis. Not really sure if I want to be a tech writer anymore. But, it is all I've been doing for close to 20 years. I'm in a conundrum.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:32 am

Jez wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:05 am
I'm hitting a mid-career crisis. Not really sure if I want to be a tech writer anymore. But, it is all I've been doing for close to 20 years. I'm in a conundrum.
One of my favorite quotes comes from an advice column letter. The advice seeker was 40 years old and really wanted to be a medical doctor. Their conundrum was the fact that they would be 46 years old by the time they were done with school and residency. The advisor's comment: "How old will you be in 6 years if you don't follow your dreams?"

Are there related fields that appeal to you? Is there additional schooling you can do while working that would put you on a path to a job you love?

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:44 am

We often see what has been termed “Rubber Band migration.” People do not fully and finally leave the place of their birth. Like rubber bands they snap back to “home” after a few years (or months) in the place where they found jobs. Often they have sent remittances home, especially to their own spouses, the caretakers of their children, and elderly dependent relatives.

The fact that some job-seekers are just staying where they have jobs, not living there, structures plans, expectations, pleasures, and hopes. August Wilson’s Pittsburgh Cycle has this relationship of place to what matters in life as a background theme in several of the plays. The Piano Lesson explicitly discloses the Rubber Band nature of choices in the piano itself: the instrument has moved back to the South and up to the North a number of times. Puerto Rican migration has much the same character today.

The African American migration from the sharecroping and inadequate subsistence farming of the South to the automobile and steel industries of the North was frequently Rubber Band. It is true that many migrants did put down roots in, say, Detroit where people with third grade educations could get jobs that paid enough in wages and benefits that white houses with picket fences became homes for life.

Parents could lay plans for their children to have occupational choices that they never had. Pensions would ensure sufficiency for the elderly, who were becoming more numerous because of the health care that health insurance provided. In a way those who went back to the 40 acres had it better when the auto industry of the North faltered.

MN-Skeptic rightly observes that migration is difficult for many. He notes the importance of the extended family. That was a principal reason for Rubber Band migration: the extended family was no longer located in one place, making it important to maintain family ties. J. D. Vance tells the story of a family attaining modest success by migrating to an Ohio city but never leaving the ancestral home in the heart.

Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath tells the story of impoverished families forced on the roads to California by drought weather and the Great Depression. Social support programs did not exist as we. know them today. The Joads had nothing, which was why they migrated. People from Africa, for example, are migrating today for much the same reasons.

Neither the Joads nor the Africans could wait for jobs suddenly to appear in a place that they consider home. The unemployed to whom Trump spoke should not wait on the fulfillment of his nebulous promise. There are decent jobs elsewhere.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:06 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:44 am
MN-Skeptic rightly observes that migration is difficult for many. SHe notes...
FIFY

My grandfather wrote about coming to America from Norway in the late 1800s. He sent money back to Norway and had planned on returning there. Fortunately for me, he made America his home.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Thanks for the correction. I suspect that many of us could tell such stories if they have been passed down through the generations. Mine were not; my ancestors seem to have been excessively ahistorical.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:22 pm

I have been doing contract work for the past few years because I have the need to be reasonably close to my elderly mother and found working in my preferred (and almost lifelong) field of work to be distasteful given that Republicans currently control Florida. I often have a choice between moving when I don't really want to move, or being unemployed. I really don't want to do either one, but I've come to the conclusion that I am grateful that I am able to deal with unwelcome changes, otherwise, I would probably be unemployed. Somehow that seems worse than moving.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Also closing all its UK stores with loss of 3000 jobs.

Scott Wong

@scottwongDC

Toys R Us to close all 800 of its U.S. stores, eliminating tens of thousands of jobs
https://www.
washingtonpost.com/news/business/
wp/2018/03/14/toys-r-us-to-close-all-800-of-its-u-s-stores/

4:37 PM - Mar 14, 2018

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:11 pm

I am sorry for all those people losing their jobs. 33,000 is the number I read. I've been doing my toy shopping for my eight-and four-year old grandkids there. I love their huge selection. I don't know where I'll shop now. I take great pride in not going into Walmart, etc. And I'm not an Amazon fan.

And this is another leveraged buyout. :(

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:30 pm

Part of the toys empire may survive
WaPo in link above wrote:A group of toy makers led by MGA Entertainment, the giant behind brands such as L.O.L. Surprise!, Little Tikes and Bratz on Wednesday submitted a bid to buy Toys R Us’s Canadian arm, which includes 82 stores, according to Isaac Larian, MGA’s chief executive. He added that he is also looking into buying as many as 400 U.S. stores, which he would seek to operate under the Toys R Us name.

“There is no toy business without Toys R Us,” Larian said, noting that he sold his first product to the chain in 1979. “It’s a big deal and I’m going to try to salvage as much of it as possible.”

According to its September bankruptcy filing, Toys R Us owes MGA Entertainment $21.3 million.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:46 pm

My sister is losing her job. She is a supervisor at the local Toys R Us.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “Economy”