Tesla

Gregg

Re: Tesla

Post by Gregg » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:46 am

No, the crowd that wants it for $35k still wants it, but they'll never get around to making one that cheap. First it was "we want to sell all the upmodels first, to make more profit'' and now its ''we need to sell all we can in Europe, to beat the other producers to market''. That's not going to work, btw, who the hell thinks they can take a trendy car with some serious quality and build out issues, for which you cannot get serviced or parts, and sell them in Germany, against competition from BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Jaguar. Europeans are kind of protective to begin with and they're not very tolerant of squeaky panels, loose fixtures and poor body alignment. Different market, and honestly he didn't do very well here outside of his 5 year pent up demand.

He needs $920 million cash next month to pay of a bond issue, he projecting losses again for the next 2 Qtrs, building a new factory in China and someday he's going to have to update the models he's selling and are all more than 5 years into a product cycle. If a US company hasn't made at least a design update in 5 years its almost a sure sign they're going to scrap the model and they're not going to invest any more in it.

As for China. The government in China has a favored EV company and it ain't Tesla, although they'll allow Tesla to build a plant (which btw Tesla will own less than 50% of) so that they learn all they want about their cars, and within months Nio, the company they do favor, will have every feature they think is worth stealing. Its just how China operates. If you want to build there, you have to let them have 51% and somehow all your secrets they can get from being inside aren't secrets anymore.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:01 pm

I just can't see it flying in Europe, between shoddy craftsmanship, service, and delivery I just don't think they could give it away. I would also expect the taxes there to be a hinderance as well. I agree with the rest of your points as well.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:47 pm

The model upgrade costs are a big expense, btw. New models cost billions. EVs don't need transmissions, so its not exactly the same but I'm working on Ford's 10 speed transmissions which is the new thing and is a $960 million dollar investment that spans 8 years from design to product production maturity. We have hard deadlines hitting every week now and missing them would cause a cascade of disasters.

Think that if that new Super Duty transmission isn't ready to go from a few dozen a day in PPAP builds to the 1600 a day instantly needed when the truck plant starts the new new model just means we can run the old model another week? Guess again. Because if the new box is behind, they don't have the old engines, bodies, dashboards, seats and 5,000 odd other parts from hundreds of other suppliers to run another week. Does anyone here think Elon, with his stellar record of making deadlines, is going to be able to manage a transition like that? Shutting down the Kentucky Truck Plant costs Ford $27,000 a minute. Being a month behind could add to some real money, even for Tesla where they don't make nearly as many and nowhere near the profit per unit. KTP has about half as many employees as Tesla's Freemont plant and we crank out a Super Duty truck every 51 seconds. Trucks that cost as much or more as even high end Teslas and EVERY SINGLE ONE for a profit. Dearborn Truck, where they make F-150s is even faster, they push one out every 39 seconds and again, even the cheap stripped down models put money in the bank.

And yet somehow, there are genius fanboy investors who make TSLA worth more than Ford because...reasons. Yeah, EVs are the future, but but Elon's not.

/rant

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:36 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:01 pm
I just can't see it flying in Europe, between shoddy craftsmanship, service, and delivery I just don't think they could give it away. I would also expect the taxes there to be a hinderance as well. I agree with the rest of your points as well.
I don't know much about the European car market, but Teslas have been in the past for managers to show off how "green" they were. Of course they can afford the European price tag that puts the Tesla in the upscale market. No extra custom taxes, many countries give EVs a significant reduction on road fees for EVs. Higher costs come as Tesla has to run their own technical European approval tests on critical parts and the final product as is hits the market. Rules for certain parts will be different in Europe than in the US, eg lighting, brakes (and I nearly added: emissions :shock: ).

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:49 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:36 pm
Notorial Dissent wrote:
I don't know much about the European car market, but Teslas have been in the past for managers to show off how "green" they were. Of course they can afford the European price tag that puts the Tesla in the upscale market. No extra custom taxes, many countries give EVs a significant reduction on road fees for EVs. Higher costs come as Tesla has to run their own technical European approval tests on critical parts and the final product as is hits the market. Rules for certain parts will be different in Europe than in the US, eg lighting, brakes (and I nearly added: emissions :shock: ).
I think I've seen more Teslas on the road in Europe than I've seen in the USA.

--
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:49 pm

San Jose California seems to have thousands of them.

I've seen several in my small WA town, but we have a lot of Microsoft managers living here.

Whip

Post by Whip » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:46 pm

Azastan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:37 pm
Mikedunford wrote:

I've seen several in my small WA town, but we have a lot of Microsoft managers living here.
there are quite a few here in NW Jersey.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:53 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
RTH10260 wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:

--
London may (still) have the upscale clients that is the target market ;)

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:12 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:53 pm
London may (still) have the upscale clients that is the target market ;)
London also has a central zone which cars are charged for entering, unless they are hybrids or electrics or (possibly) have a very low emission rating, which probably encourages uptake.

Thanks to Gregg for the insights, always interesting. :thumbs:

On the badly fitted panels etc. issues: German industry has always had a good reputation for quality in its production engineering but I think Europe more generally (Frsnce, Italy, UK, etc.) got the message when reliable Japanese cars took over their markets in the 1970s and 1980s.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:41 pm

I haven't followed the Tesla news closely, and hadn't bothered looking at this thread before yesterday. But then....

A few nights ago I watched an episode of "Dirty Money" (streams on Netflix) about Valeant Pharmaceuticals. It featured a woman named Fahmi Quadir. She ran a hedge fund or something that shorted Valeant back when everyone else on Wall Street was screaming "buy!". I can only assume she's now a very, very rich woman.

Her specialty is finding companies that she believes are engaging in fraud. She shorts the stock, then if and when the fraud is revealed, she and her investors make money. I had never heard of anyone specializing in this sort of thing. But her fierce intelligence and clear lack of tolerance for bullshit impressed the hell out me.

I couldn't help wondering what she may have her eye on now. So I googled and immediately saw this Bloomberg article from a few months ago. It seems she is now shorting....TESLA. :lol:
“It’s becoming more and more apparent that Tesla is having difficulties paying their bills,” Quadir said. “I saw a lot of the same with Valeant.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... la-falling

So out of curiosity I looked up the stock price. Right now it's $305. That's well below its 52-week high of $387. However, to my surprise it's also way above its low of $244. :eek2: WTF??

With all of the evident problems this company is having (noted right here in the past few pages), how in the hell is this possible? Does this company actually have anything significantly positive going for it? Or are the investors really as delusional as they appear to be? With the red flags waving all over the place (an FBI investigation, FFS), I just don't get it.
Am I being detained?

Jcolvin2

Post by Jcolvin2 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:08 pm

Whip wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:46 pm
g

there are quite a few here in NW Jersey.
I think almost half the new cars in my Seattle suburb are Teslas.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:31 am

Mikedunford wrote:
RTH10260 wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:

--
Really, that's interesting, and they have to be grey market because they just got approval to import them to Europe a few weeks ago. As mentioned, there are a lot af approvals needed to import a car into a new market and that's partially why not many North American cars are imported to Europe. Aside from them having different tastes in style, drivetrains and size, its also pretty much cheaper to design a market centric model based on a common platform as a starting point, than it is to adapt one of our models to European regulations.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:16 am

Tesla Taxis Comprised 70% Of The 1 Million Rides At Amsterdam Airport

https://insideevs.com/tesla-taxis-70-1- ... m-airport/

Tesla Sales in Europe Higher Than German Premium Brands

https://www.financialbuzz.com/tesla-inc ... um-brands/

Teslas are all over Europe. You see them everywhere.
Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:27 am

On the Teslas in Europe issue, I wondered about Norway, which is currently going for electric cars in a big way. I found a table of the top ten models based on current registrations at https://www.dinside.no/motor/na-er-det- ... e/70656259:

Code: Select all

Topp ti elbiler i Norge:

MODELL	ANTALL
1.	Nissan Leaf		49.823
2.	Volkswagen e-Golf	31.883
3.	BMW i3			19.740
4.	Tesla Model S		18.982
5.	Kia Soul		15.666
6.	Tesla Model X		11.124
7.	Volkswagen e-Up!	9.540
8.	Renault Zoe		8.609
9.	Hyundai Ioniq		5.888
10.	Mercedes-Benz B250E	5.241
Nissan Leaf dominates, but if Tesla's two models were combined their total of 30,106 would put them in second place. That's not unreasonable as a hack because all the other manufacturers are offering only a single popular model.

The Norsk Elbilforening (Norwegian Electric Car Association) reports that more than 200,000 electric cars were on the register by the end of 2018, but that's actually a small fraction of the 2.7M cars registered. (Source Over 200.000 elbiler i Norge – in Norwegian)

The government's Statistics Norway unit (known more prosaically in Norwegian as Statistisk sentralbyrå "Central statistical office", interesting switch of styles) analyzes this data and breaks it down by administrative region (kommune). One of the highest levels of registrations is Bærum kommune, next to Oslo (the capital city). I read a comment from a local pointing out that a lot of people working in Oslo's finance sector live in Bærum, and electric cars are currently exempt from the tolls payable every time a car is driven into central Oslo.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:54 pm

Okay, my mistake. I mis-read something and it was the Model 3 that was just approved in Europe, the other two have been there a while, obviously.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 am

Tesla's Elon Musk may be in contempt over tweet

The US financial regulator has asked a New York judge to hold Tesla boss Elon Musk in contempt for violating a settlement over social media comments.

The move by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) comes after he tweeted about the car firm's production.

Last year, Mr Musk agreed that he would not make statements about Tesla's financial performance without prior agreement with the company.

That settlement followed his tweets in August about taking Tesla private.

Tesla's share price fell 5% in after-hours trading on Wall Street.

Last week Mr Musk posted an aerial picture of thousands of new Tesla vehicles, and followed that by saying he expected the firm to make 500,000 cars in 2019.

In court papers filed in New York on Monday, the SEC said Mr Musk did not get approval before publishing the tweet, which it said was inaccurate and in breach of Mr Musk's agreement. The SEC noted that the tweet was disseminated to more than 24 million people.

"Musk has thus violated the Court's Final Judgment by engaging in the very conduct that the preapproval provision of the Final Judgment was designed to prevent," the SEC wrote in its motion filed on Monday in federal court in Manhattan.

https:// www.bbc.com/news/business-47365585

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:40 am

Tesla's Musk calls SEC 'broken' in new Twitter spat
Vibhuti Sharma

(Reuters) - Silicon Valley billionaire Elon Musk laid into the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission again on Tuesday, after it accused the Tesla Inc chief executive officer of violating the terms of a settlement last year of fraud charges against him.

In a filing on Monday, the SEC said that in a tweet on Feb. 19 Musk had broken a promise made last year to have his public statements vetted by the company’s board, part of the deal.

The regulator did not say what remedy it wanted the court to impose, but the commitment was part of a settlement that headed off demands from the SEC for Musk to resign as Tesla CEO, seen by investors in the company as a substantial risk to its future.

Musk, who initially on Monday accused the SEC of failing to read the company’s annual reports, followed up with another tweet in the early hours of Tuesday.

“Something is broken with SEC oversight,” he wrote.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesl ... SKCN1QF1BM

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:41 am

Cramer: Elon Musk should be removed from Tesla as CEO for attacking the SEC

Berkeley Lovelace Jr.

Elon Musk should be removed from Tesla as CEO for his comments to the Securities and Exchange Commission, CNBC’s Jim Cramer contended Tuesday.

Musk goes after the SEC “as if it’s funny,” Cramer said on “Squawk Box. ” “If this guy is going to attack the SEC, how about removing him? He attacked the SEC.”

“I love him. He’s a genius,” Cramer added. ”[But] he should be removed.”

Tesla did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment on Cramer’s remarks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/26/cramer- ... e-sec.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:12 am

Tencent Keen Security Lab Tricks Tesla Autopilot into Oncoming Traffic

Brian Wang | April 1, 2019

Tesla Autopilot recognizes lanes and assists control by identifying road traffic markings. Tencent Keen Labs proved that by placing interference stickers on the road, the Autopilot system will capture this information and make an abnormal judgment, which causes the vehicle to enter into the reverse lane. Tesla stated “a driver can easily override Autopilot at any time by using the steering wheel or brakes and should be prepared to do so at all times”. Tesla said this did not represent real-world problems and no drivers had encountered any of the report’s identified problems. At the Black Hat USA 2018 security conference, Keen Lab presented the first ever demonstration to remotely compromise the Autopilot system on a Tesla Model S.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2019/04/t ... affic.html

Whip

Post by Whip » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:21 am

Tesla said this did not represent real-world problems
yeah.......he might want to rethink that. anything involving nefarious humans can become a real world problem.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:15 pm

Whip wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:21 am
yeah.......he might want to rethink that. anything involving nefarious humans can become a real world problem.
Hmmm. Parts of the country that get snow/plowing see significant wear off of the road markings by late spring/summer. Does that mean a Tesla's ability to 'see' and correctly recognize the road markings would be impaired?
I've heard this bull before.

Whip

Post by Whip » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:02 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:15 pm
Whip wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:21 am
Hmmm. Parts of the country that get snow/plowing see significant wear off of the road markings by late spring/summer. Does that mean a Tesla's ability to 'see' and correctly recognize the road markings would be impaired?
go to 4:13 in this video:

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:21 pm

https://electrek.co/2019/04/01/tesla-mo ... ew-record/

Re: EV penetration in Norway, they now officially sell more EVs than internal combustion vehicles there.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Insiders describe a world of chaos and waste at Panasonic's massive battery making operation for Tesla
Linette Lopez

Panasonic operates in Tesla's Gigafactory in Sparks, Nevada. YouTube/Duncan Sinfield
  • Current and former employees at Panasonic's battery making operation inside Tesla's Gigafactory say that it is a chaotic environment where standard operating procedures often go ignored and there's half a million pieces of scrap a day generated.
  • "Why do we throw away half a million batteries a day? Because people are slobs and the stuff's not clean," said a former employee. Panasonic sends around 3 million battery cells to Tesla every day.
  • Business Insider also reviewed internal documents, including some related to an oil spill that sent workers hunting through millions of battery cells to find potentially contaminated product for weeks.

Insiders describe a chaotic environment inside of Panasonic's battery-making operation in the Nevada desert, one where standard operating procedures go ignored, expensive mistakes are born from carelessness, and half a million pieces of scrap are generated each day.

"I do not think that Tesla knows everything [that goes on on Panasonic's side]," said one former employee who left the company late last year. "It's impossible to know everything. If Elon Musk was to know what was truly going on, he would flip his lid."

Tesla and Panasonic share the Gigafactory — a massive manufacturing plant outside of Reno built back in 2016. Panasonic makes cells for Tesla's cars and at the Gigafactory Tesla turns the cells into batteries for its new Model 3 sedan. Tesla also makes the drive units for the Model 3 there.

Last week, Nikkei reported that Tesla and Panasonic would freeze plans to expand the Gigafactory. Tesla's stock fell, while Panasonic's rose on the news. Tesla responded to the story by saying that both companies are still putting "substantial funds" into the Gigafactory, but that there's more "output to be gained from improving existing production equipment." Tesla CEO Elon Musk called Panasonic's production rate a "constraint on Model 3 output" that the company has known about since July.

https://www.businessinsider.com/panason ... tic-2019-4

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:51 pm

Return to “Economy”