Gun Control issues

GreatGrey

Re: Gun Control issues

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:02 pm

TexasFilly wrote:Ooooh, tough guy Aggie Cadet Louie Gohmert just tried to use his big mouth to intervene. I would have told him "Quit casting aspersions on your asparagus, Louie." What a tool.
Yeah, and my CongressSlug Don Young tried to wrestle the microphone away from the Dems.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:03 pm

TexasFilly wrote:Ooooh, tough guy Aggie Cadet Louie Gohmert just tried to use his big mouth to intervene. I would have told him "Quit casting aspersions on your asparagus, Louie." What a tool.
Yes, I saw him shouting about how it was "radical Islam" that killed people, not guns. :?

Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:19 pm

@TexasTribAbby: Louie Gohmert shouting at Corrine Brown of Florida. Bill Flores trying to pull him away. This is getting ugly

@TexasTribAbby: Corrine Brown being restrained. Now it's MarkWayne Mullen and in the middle of it. Gohmert engaging now leaving

@TexasTribAbby: Debbie Dingell, a Democrat, had her arm around Louie and led him away from the confrontation. They're friends -
Rep. Brown:
@TheDiLLon1: C-Span so hype right now. Gonna be the sound of glass breaking and Joe Biden gonna stomp thru like Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:31 pm

In my version Bamz says, "Fire up the beast, let's roll!"
@owillis:
*ring ring*
"hello"
"mr president i wanna go"
"we cant joe"
"cmon cmon lets go"
"joe"
"7 months left, total YOLO territory boss"
"no joe"
:rotflmao:

Tesibria

Post by Tesibria » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:10 am

I can’t help fearing that history will note today’s House Dem action as a blunder.

“Words are sacred. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones, in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.”― Tom Stoppard
WYE: Arpaio-Melendres-Seattle Operation Timeline | Sectec Astronomy: Dennis Montgomery Timeline

chancery

Post by chancery » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:44 am

Tesibria wrote:I can’t help fearing that history will note today’s House Dem action as a blunder.
Yeah, we're dealing with the republican party that thinks it's a good idea to yell "you lie" during the state of the union address and pray for the president's murder. They are just waiting for an excuse to reenact the beating of Congressman Sumner.

chancery

Post by chancery » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:44 am

Family Liberty Patriot wrote:I quite agree, but who are you and I, against so many?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For starters, neither one of you is named George Bernard Shaw!

I'm late in catching up with this thread, but couldn't let that go by.

Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:53 am

chancery wrote:
Tesibria wrote:I can’t help fearing that history will note today’s House Dem action as a blunder.
Yeah, we're dealing with the republican party that thinks it's a good idea to yell "you lie" during the state of the union address and pray for the president's murder. They are just waiting for an excuse to reenact the beating of Congressman Sumner.
Also too two words: :hitthefan: Donald :hitthefan: Trump :hitthefan:

Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:56 am

Not when Dem challengers use it against GOP in an ad coming this fall to TV. :-D

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:19 am

Hey, at least the GOP got that important vote in for the financial advisors. How unAmarican is it that financial advisors should be forced to look out for their clients best interests. Hitler would have pushed for a law to take money out of stock brokers pockets.

Sarcasm aside, at least the Dems stood up, and as a bonus, took the air out of Drumpfs failure of a speech today.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:34 am

Reps are headed back to their home districts for the 4th of July break.

One thing that they all do is march in a 4th of July parade.

Unlike town hall meetings, they can't control who attends these parades. I hope GOP reps get an earful from people po'd at their recalcitrance. I certainly will be expressing my displeasure.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:16 am

Karen Walker wrote:
Not when Dem challengers use it against GOP in an ad coming this fall to TV. :-D
"Maybe the folks who held several dozen votes to repeal the Affordable Care Act should steer clear of lectures about wasting congressional time?"

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... _fb_maddow

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:41 am

esseff44 wrote:Speaker Ryan says it's just a publicity stunt. I think he's wrong about the 'just' part. But it's up to the public to let him know. My congress member is right there in the middle of the protest. It's got to be people from the red and purple districts calling their Congress members and not just the deep blue ones.

I hope they do stay on the floor until they get something passed. :pray: :pray:
I was glad to find out that my congressman is there as well.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:50 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Karen Walker wrote:
"Maybe the folks who held several dozen votes to repeal the Affordable Care Act should steer clear of lectures about wasting congressional time?"

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... _fb_maddow
Or the folks who shut down the government. Twice.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

DryInk

Post by DryInk » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:45 pm

GreatGrey wrote:
Yeah, and my CongressSlug Don Young tried to wrestle the microphone away from the Dems.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Let's just assume I said something witty.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 pm

New gun laws for California.

Most notably, they got rid of the "bullet button" and added background checks for buying ammo.

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/ ... 336745.php
Brown signed six bills and vetoed five, actions that will nonetheless build upon the state’s arsenal of gun control laws aimed at curtailing mass shootings and keeping weapons and ammunition away from the wrong people. California already has the strictest gun laws in the nation.
:snippity:
The new laws include SB880 by Sen. Isadore Hall III, D-Compton (Los Angeles County), and Sen. Steve Glazer, D-Orinda, which expands the definition of assault weapon to include specified guns with military-style features capable of accepting any type of detachable magazine. Another bill signed by the governor bans so-called “bullet buttons,” a tool developed by gun manufacturers that allows magazines to easily detach for rapid replacement.

Brown also signed SB1446 by Sen. Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley, which makes it illegal to possess magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The sale or manufacturing of large-capacity magazines was already illegal in the state.

But the governor signed SB1235, the ammunition background check bill, which also overlapped with Newsom’s ballot measure. SB1235 requires background checks for people buying ammunition, a license for people selling bullets and purchasing data submitted to the state Department of Justice. Newsom’s measures also requires background checks, vendor licensing and data sharing on ammunition purchases, although regulated differently.

"Terror must be maintained or the Empire is doomed."

-Evil Spock

ElaineSoCal

Post by ElaineSoCal » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:09 pm

I'm not sure where to plop this but will put it here.

I received the booklet of fall classes from a local community college with courses like cake decorating, air conditioning tech certificate, photography, ESL, etc. They are also offering Utah Concealed Firearm Certificate that "meets the minimum training curriculum requirements for issuance of the highly sought Utah Concealed Firearm Permit - valid in 31 states". It is NOT valid in California but being offered here. Btw, it's a four hour course.

Hopefully it means a lot of these folks are moving out of state.
:smoking:

ArthurWankspittle

Post by ArthurWankspittle » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:59 pm

ElaineSoCal wrote:I received the booklet of fall classes from a local community college with courses like cake decorating, air conditioning tech certificate, photography, ESL, etc. They are also offering Utah Concealed Firearm Certificate that "meets the minimum training curriculum requirements for issuance of the highly sought Utah Concealed Firearm Permit - valid in 31 states". It is NOT valid in California but being offered here. Btw, it's a four hour course.
My immediate thought was Jim Jefferies going "Wait! I don't cover that til next week."

Going to Tibet now and deleting Facebook you have my email address.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:48 pm

I'm pretty sure that no out of state gun permit is legal in PA. Heck gun permits issued in other counties aren't legal in Philly.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:02 pm

magdalen77 wrote:I'm pretty sure that no out of state gun permit is legal in PA. Heck gun permits issued in other counties aren't legal in Philly.
In 1995, the Pennsylvania General Assembly gave the Attorney General the authority to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania currently has formal written reciprocity agreements with 18 states that recognize a valid license to carry firearms issued by Pennsylvania. Conversely, Pennsylvania recognizes valid firearm carry licenses/permits from those states. In addition to the 18 formal agreements, other forms of reciprocity are applicable.

Categories of Firearms Reciprocity
Under Pennsylvania law, there are six categories of firearms reciprocity status.
https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Media_a ... greements/
Is my License To Carry Firearms honored in Philadelphia?

Contrary to many rumors that have been floating around for years, a Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms issued anywhere in the state is good anywhere in the state. Pennsylvania's Uniform Firearms Act provides a pre-emption statute which prevents anyone other than the state legislature from regulating the carry of firearms among other things. At one point in time Philadelphia had attempted to ignore this, but it has long been resolved.
http://www.pafoa.org/law/

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:05 pm

Hmmm, I've recently had people complain to me that their Montgomery or Chester County license wasn't valid in Philly. My mistake for trusting they knew.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:23 pm

magdalen77 wrote:Hmmm, I've recently had people complain to me that their Montgomery or Chester County license wasn't valid in Philly. My mistake for trusting they knew.
Russian proverb, "Доверяй, но проверяй {Doveryai, no proveryai} (trust, but verify)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:36 am

New survey shows just 3% of American adults own nearly half of guns in the US, as part of most definitive portrait of gun ownership in decades

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... are_btn_tw
Americans own an estimated 265m guns, more than one gun for every American adult, according to the most definitive portrait of US gun ownership in two decades. But the new survey estimates that 130m of these guns are concentrated in the hands of just 3% of American adults – a group of super-owners who have amassed an average of 17 guns each.

“The desire to own a gun for protection – there’s a disconnect between that and the decreasing rates of lethal violence in this country. It isn’t a response to actuarial reality,” said Matthew Miller, a Northeastern University and Harvard School of Public Health professor and one of the authors of the study.

The data suggests that American gun ownership is driven by an “increasing fearfulness”, said Dr Deborah Azrael, a Harvard School of Public Health firearms researcher and the lead author of the study.

The new survey also found a much higher estimate of annual gun thefts: 400,000 guns stolen per year, compared with 230,000 a year in a recent estimate from the National Crime Victimization Survey.
About which JJ MacNab says-
JJ MacNab ‏@jjmacnab · 16m16 minutes ago

That 3% figure is unfortunate. It's going to get a lot of three percenters very excited.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:24 am

Personally, I have no real use for owning 17 or more guns. If I the slightest intention of actually hitting my target, I can only use one at a time. :?

Welcome, seeker! There's a seeker born every minute!

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:03 am

Foggy wrote:Personally, I have no real use for owning 17 or more guns. If I the slightest intention of actually hitting my target, I can only use one at a time. :?
Oh, but these people are Collectors..... and anyway, gawd set they have the right to unlimited firepower.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”