Cops Behaving Badly

SLQ

Re: Cops Behaving Badly

Post by SLQ » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:55 am

RVInit wrote:
SLQ wrote:The University of Utah has a police force, with sworn police officers, including detectives. Local news station KSL says the question was raised why the university police did nothing, and the university has now said it has changed its policy. To what exactly, I don't know, but the implication is they can intervene in the future.
:snippity:
Edit: typos
This incident happened more than a month ago. The two officers were initially still on the job, but the one who strong armed the nurse was taken off the "blood draw" detail. It was only after the video was shared that the police department decided to put him on leave. That is disturbing. And another reason to be angry about the current DOJ trashing the agreements previously made with a number of police departments wherein those departments were required to show improvement in the area of civil rights.
To clarify, the portion I quoted was from the University Police Chief. The policy that apparently changed was from "standing by and doing nothing while a University employee is assaulted by Salt Lake City police for doing her job" to . . . something else. The officers you're talking about are the Salt Lake City police.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:03 pm

SLQ wrote:
RVInit wrote:
SLQ wrote:The University of Utah has a police force, with sworn police officers, including detectives. Local news station KSL says the question was raised why the university police did nothing, and the university has now said it has changed its policy. To what exactly, I don't know, but the implication is they can intervene in the future.
This incident happened more than a month ago. The two officers were initially still on the job, but the one who strong armed the nurse was taken off the "blood draw" detail. It was only after the video was shared that the police department decided to put him on leave. That is disturbing. And another reason to be angry about the current DOJ trashing the agreements previously made with a number of police departments wherein those departments were required to show improvement in the area of civil rights.
To clarify, the portion I quoted was from the University Police Chief. The policy that apparently changed was from "standing by and doing nothing while a University employee is assaulted by Salt Lake City police for doing her job" to . . . something else. The officers you're talking about are the Salt Lake City police.
Yes, I did a poor job of formatting here and parsing and snipping of your comment. I should have just entered a stand-alone comment, as I wasn't actually meaning for it to be a commentary on the part of your comment that was left now that I see clearly what I left of your comment. Time for another cup of coffee, I guess. :lol:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:05 pm

RVInit wrote:
SLQ wrote:
RVInit wrote:
Yes, I did a poor job of formatting here and parsing and snipping of your comment. I should have just entered a stand-alone comment, as I wasn't actually meaning for it to be a commentary on the part of your comment that was left now that I see clearly what I left of your comment. Time for another cup of coffee, I guess. :lol:
:-D

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:25 pm

I found this link with applicable blood draw case law informative.

http://www.utahduilegal.com/consent-exc ... lood-draw/

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:30 pm

At one point in the video, Wubbels asks the university officer, "Can you protect me?" The officer replies no, going on to tell the frightened nurse, "If he's going to arrest you, I'm not going to stop him."
University of Utah Police Chief Dale Brophy issued a statement Friday offering support for Wubbels and said the department's policies have since been updated, but made no mention of the officer.

"The incident that occurred at University Hospital in July involving nurse Wubbels was mishandled and created a stressful situation that could have been avoided," Brophy said.

He added: "The training of our officers is constant and ongoing, with an emphasis on learning from prior incidents. We are committed to the safety and security of all students, faculty, staff, patients and visitors on our campus."
(I had read this article a day or two ago, and remembered this passage.)

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45637083&nid=1 ... st-spreads

The University of Utah has a police dept, but the sworn officers are assigned to the academic campus and the security officers are assigned to the hospital, except
As part of our responsibility patrol provides 1 officer 24 hours a day at the UMC Emergency Department to provide a police presence and assist as needed.
The security arm of the University
HSC Officers are responsible for all buildings affiliated with the main hospital including the West Pavilion, Moran Eye Center, School of Medicine, Eccles Critical Care Pavilion, Clinical Neurosciences Center, parking structures and the bridges that connect to Primary Children’s, Moran and CNC. Because the University Hospital is a Trauma I center HSC Security Officers have a major role assisting in the Emergency Department with helicopter offloads, crisis patients, and staff/patient/visitor safety concerns.

Hospital Security Officers respond to all calls for service that range from customer service calls, alarms, assisting with dignitary visits, lost children and citizens, injuries, traffic control, and exposure to contagious or infectious diseases. Hospital Security Officers respond to criminal disturbances and crimes and are exposed to potentially dangerous or stressful situations that necessitate the use of both self-control and physical force. The Security Officers work very closely with their University of Utah Police Officers as well as law enforcement officers from other federal, local and state jurisdictions. Hospital Security Officers monitor and control access to the buildings, monitor CCTV cameras and respond to other security problems as needed.

Hospital Security Officers are required to attend extensive training as part of their job. In addition to a Field Training Officer program and Crisis Prevention Training, Hospital Security Officers are required to maintain yearly training in the following areas: restraints, arrest control tactics, fire, HazMat, radiological monitoring and Air Med Cart training. Hospital Security Officers are also provided with the opportunity to obtain certification through the International Association of Healthcare Safety and Security (IAHSS). Hospital Security Officers also attend training through both the University of Utah Department of Public Safety, Learning Management Systems (LMS) and the University of Utah Hospital.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:39 pm

from what I read, the cops wanted a blood draw in the hopes they could also nail the driver of the vehicle that was injured, and so get out of a lawsuit.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:59 pm

Why would the cops do that? Were they involved in the collision?

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:01 pm

They were pursuing the driver that crashed into the semi.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:17 pm

In one of the video clips, they show the crash and fireball. It is pretty horrific

ElaineSoCal

Post by ElaineSoCal » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:40 pm

Detective Payne is an all around sweetheart.

In a conversation with fellow officers, the Salt Lake City police detective who arrested a nurse when she followed hospital policy and refused to take blood from an unconscious patient commented that in the future he’d ”take good patients elsewhere.”

Detective Jeff Payne told another officer that he works a second job as a paramedic with Gold Cross Ambulance and brings patients to University Hospital, body camera footage obtained by The Salt Lake Tribune shows.

When the other officer tells Payne that the staff at the hospital probably won’t be very happy with him, Payne responds, ”I’ll bring them all the transients and take good patients elsewhere.”

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/09/02/f ... elsewhere/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Body cam footage shows Evansville officer hit handcuffed suspect in ‘groin area’
POSTED 10:39 AM, SEPTEMBER 12, 2017, BY FOX59 WEB, UPDATED AT 11:05AM, SEPTEMBER 12, 2017

EVANSVILLE, Ind. – Recently released body camera footage from the Evansville Police Department shows an officer hit a handcuffed suspect in the “groin area.”

According to the Evansville Courier & Press, Sgt. Rob Hahn was suspended five days without pay for excessive force. The punishment was approved by the Police Merit Commission.

The Evansville Courier & Press obtained body camera footage released by the police department on Wednesday that shows Hahn shoving a handcuffed suspect onto a bed and hitting them in the groin area.

EPD spokesman Sgt. Jason Cullum discussed the video on Monday: “At one point, (Hahn) pushed the individual’s head against the wall. Then he threw him down onto a bed, and as he walked by he punched the individual in the groin area.”

The incident happened on August 6, 2017. Hahn and several other officers were serving a warrant on a man at a motel. The man did not open the motel door for the officers, so they went inside and found him on the phone in the bathroom.
http://fox59.com/2017/09/12/body-cam-fo ... roin-area/

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:10 am

No links. It is all over the news anyone gets. Cops shoot a deaf, disabled man. I am appalled that this continues to happen. What the hell is going on that cops shootmpeople like dogs. Oh, and they shoot dogs too. Meter readers and postal workers don't shoot dogs.

Good cops, bad cops? When good cops do not stand up, speak out, when cops justify bad actions by their fellow officers, they are just as culpable. They own the actions of their Brethren.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:34 am

I believe police departments should have oversight from a board made up of citizens that do not work in law enforcement. I don't think the police should police themselves. It just doesn't seem to work. First of all it's mostly human nature, I believe, to not want to rock the boat with coworkers. I think we should expect that an officer wouldn't support and cover up something major, like an outright unnecessary shooting, but smaller infractions I think are easier for fellow officers to sweep under the rug. Having an outside board would take away the problems that just seem to be inherent in self-policing.

There was a case in New Jersey where a man by the name of Marcus Jeter was pulled over by police officers, brutalized, accused of resisting, accused of trying to take a weapon from one of them and was facing serious prison time. The first offer from prosecutors was five years. There were two police cars involved, one of them actually was called for "backup" :roll: and crossed a median and struck Jeters car. So, there were dash cam videos from the front and from the rear. When Jeter first told his attorney about the incident, even his attorney says he didn't believe it at first. The attorney eventually was able to get both videos. The police department internal affairs division was fully aware of the videos, had seen them, and never said a word. After Jeter's attorney turned the tapes over to prosecutors, all charges against Jeter were dropped and the two police officers who originally pulled the man over were charged with various crimes including falsifying police reports. The third officer retired and I believe he testified against one of the officers. One officer decided to take a plea deal and the other went to trial and tried to have the video evidence thrown out. He got a five year prison sentence.

A local news station did an in-depth report on this story which involved interviewing Jeter, his attorney, and showed both dash cams in their entirety. I can't remember if any prosecutors were interviewd, it's been a while and I can't find that video now. It was unbelievable that the police department would stay mum on the dash cams and cooperate with prosecuting this man, who had committed no crime.

Originally, police were called about a possible domestic disturbance. Jeter and his girlfriend lived in an apartment building with typical paper thin walls and admit to having had an argument that got loud and Jeter threw his girlfriend's phone down a set of stairs. The police did not make any arrests and they went back to their patrol car. They sat in their car and waited for Jeter to get in his car. They followed him down the street and then turned on the dash cam. The followed him through a stop sign and then through an intersection where he made a turn. They followed him for a few yards and then turned on their lights. He promptly pulled over. They both got out of their cars, both armed, and approached his car in a chillingly aggressive manner and one of them yelling at him. Jeter immediately put up his hands and could be heard to say "please tell me what you want me to do". He repeated that over and over again during the entire ordeal, indicating to them that he would do whatever they wanted him to do. The cop that approached the passenger side opened the passenger car door, climbed in and punched Jeter on the side of the head. The cop on the driver's side broke his window, opened the door and yanked him out of the car. When he was on the ground he put his own hands behind his back. As one cop was punching him the other kept repeating "quit resisting, quit trying to take my gun, quit trying to take my gun". Of course the video showed clearly Jeter was in no position whatsoever to be trying to take anyone's gun and he wasn't trying to take anyone's gun. The one cop was basically saying things out loud so that when both cops wrote their reports they would both write that Jeter resisted arrest and tried to take officer so-and-so's gun. Which the camera footage clearly showed did not ever happen.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2016/ ... s_str.html

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 am

YES!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/11/health/ut ... index.html
A Utah police officer has been fired after he forcibly arrested a nurse who refused to let him draw blood from an unconscious patient in July.

A police body camera recorded the July 26 arrest of Alex Wubbels, a nurse at the University of Utah's hospital burn unit.
In the police video of the incident, Detective Jeff Payne handcuffed Wubbels and placed her in a police car when she refused to allow officers to obtain a blood sample from a crash victim at the hospital without a warrant. Wubbels screamed for him to stop as he forced her out of the door and dragged her to a police car.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Finlay

Post by Finlay » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Kathryn Knott, the spoiled suburbanite spawn of a local police chief, who served some time in jail for her part in the beating of a gay couple had her police chief dad use his authority and connections to harass people who said mean things about her on the internet.

Apples and trees.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:52 pm

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:15 pm

LL wrote:Texas deputy facing getting fired after criminal in back seat records the officer texting and driving
A Fayette County deputy is in trouble after a man under arrest recorded the deputy texting and driving.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:58 pm

And no blinker.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:38 am

Chicago cop shot friend, jury finds, ordering city to pay $44.7 million
A federal jury awarded a Morgan Park man a record-breaking $44.7 million Thursday after finding that a Chicago police officer shot him in the head after a night of heavy drinking and that the troubled Police Department enabled the off-duty patrolman’s violent behavior.

The 10-member jury deliberated for two days before reaching its decision, bringing an end to the nearly four-week civil trial that repeatedly hit upon the police accountability issues that have dogged the city for decades.

Though they needed some time to reach a unanimous decision on how much to award in damages, jurors said it took them less than 20 minutes to determine Officer Patrick Kelly fired a bullet into his best friend Michael LaPorta’s skull in January 2010 and then misled investigators by insisting LaPorta tried to kill himself.

LaPorta survived the shooting but still suffers from a host of medical conditions. Now 37, he can no longer walk or read and depends on his aging parents for round-the-clock care.
This guy should have lost his badge long ago.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:21 pm

The nurse in Utah received a $500,000 settlement and will not sue now...

http://wgntv.com/2017/10/31/there-will- ... y-of-utah/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:18 pm

Why cops ought to keep the doors locked too
LL poster wrote:Man steals an assault rifle, stun gun and rounds of ammunition from police car

Someone swiped an assault rifle, police vest, Taser and ammunition from a marked Opa-locka police car early Tuesday morning as it sat in a Pembroke Pines neighborhood, according to police.

The video shows a young man walking up to the passenger side of the police car, opening the door and rifling through the car. He pulls out a police vest, with the help of a flashlight.

He then moves to the trunk. He can be seen walking away with a rifle strapped to him.

Police say he left with a Taser, cartridges, tactical vest with police markings, a 16-round .45 caliber magazine and an AR-15 assault rifle with three fully loaded magazines.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:18 pm
I remember thinking it was very careless of the police officer in Ephrata WA to have an open window in the patrol vehicle, allowing Gavin Seim to potentially have removed items.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Azastan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:18 pm
I remember thinking it was very careless of the police officer in Ephrata WA to have an open window in the patrol vehicle, allowing Gavin Seim to potentially have removed items.
Oddly enough, we were trained to ride with the windows at least partially down. Easier to hear the direction of gunshots, shouts for help, that sort of thing. It's almost impossible to hear anything from inside the police car with the windows rolled up, especially with a lot of radio traffic. One of the main thrusts of community oriented policing is making officers approachable and human, and isolating them behind closed windows us a terrible way to do that. Our dept is big on the C.O.P.S. program and it is not unusual at all to see an officer waving or hollering a friendly 'hello' to the usual kids and street characters as he patrols down the street. These are the same kids and street characters that will report a crime or give a description or come up with some information for the officers when needed. They become real people to each other, and not just a silhouette behind a layer of tint.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:36 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Oddly enough, we were trained to ride with the windows at least partially down. Easier to hear the direction of gunshots, shouts for help, that sort of thing. It's almost impossible to hear anything from inside the police car with the windows rolled up, especially with a lot of radio traffic. One of the main thrusts of community oriented policing is making officers approachable and human, and isolating them behind closed windows us a terrible way to do that. Our dept is big on the C.O.P.S. program and it is not unusual at all to see an officer waving or hollering a friendly 'hello' to the usual kids and street characters as he patrols down the street. These are the same kids and street characters that will report a crime or give a description or come up with some information for the officers when needed. They become real people to each other, and not just a silhouette behind a layer of tint.
Thanks for that different perspective, as I would never have thought about it that way (although, were you trained to roll down the window far enough so that people could extract items from the vehicle, and what were you to do when you stepped out of, or away from the vehicle?).

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:41 pm

Azastan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:36 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Oddly enough, we were trained to ride with the windows at least partially down. Easier to hear the direction of gunshots, shouts for help, that sort of thing. :snippity: Our dept is big on the C.O.P.S. program and it is not unusual at all to see an officer waving or hollering a friendly 'hello' to the usual kids and street characters as he patrols down the street. These are the same kids and street characters that will report a crime or give a description or come up with some information for the officers when needed. They become real people to each other, and not just a silhouette behind a layer of tint.
Thanks for that different perspective, as I would never have thought about it that way (although, were you trained to roll down the window far enough so that people could extract items from the vehicle, and what were you to do when you stepped out of, or away from the vehicle?).
You trained as a police officer???????? Wowza! You also have a way with words. :-D

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”