Cops Behaving Badly

Whatever4

Re: Cops Behaving Badly

Post by Whatever4 »

Baltimore Police sergeant arrested, accused of kidnapping contractor and extorted him for a refund while on duty, county police say

A Baltimore Police Department homicide unit sergeant was ordered held without bail Friday after allegedly extorting, kidnapping and threatening to arrest a home contractor whose work he was unhappy with and whom he drove to a bank to withdraw money for a refund.

Three other homicide unit detectives were present at one point during the altercation, and the department said a preliminary review indicates all were on duty at the time.

“You are going to give me my money back, and I’m going to give you freedom,” Sgt. James Lloyd allegedly told the contractor, according to charging documents.

:snippity:

Lloyd, a 21-year veteran of the police department who was the lead detective on the investigation of the death of Detective Sean Suiter, was upset with a patio that a contractor had built, county police say.

He demanded a refund and confronted the contractor with information about his driver’s license being suspended, saying he could arrest him, according to charging documents. Then, authorities said, he made the victim get into Lloyd’s car. The victim told police that he feared being arrested and complied with Lloyd’s demands of going to the bank and getting a certified check for the refund, officials said.

:snippity:

At a bail review hearing Friday, defense attorney Matthew Fraling told Baltimore County District Court Judge Kimberly Thomas that the matter should be a civil issue and not criminal, saying it all stems from “poor construction” by contractor on a new patio.

“I agree 100% this should have stayed a civil matter,” replied county prosecutor Thomas Kane. “The defendant made certain decisions which grossly changed the character of the interaction with the victim.”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime ... story.html

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

California Highway Patrol arresting EMS personnel attending to injured person after auto crash.

I missed this episode of CHiPs.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Above is already a couple of years back!

bob

Post by bob »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:18 pm Above is already a couple of years back!
Yeah; that happened in 2014. Because the firefighter disobeyed to the CHP order not to block traffic.

Thanks, Obama. :blackeye:

(The firefighter sued; the case eventually to the 9th before the parties settled in mediation.)

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

New Mexico officer facing second-degree murder charges in chokehold death of Antonio Valenzuela
Bethany Freudenthal Las Cruces Sun-News
Published 10:23 AM EDT Jul 17, 2020

LAS CRUCES, N.M. – Charges against a Las Cruces police officer who is accused of killing a man during a traffic stop in February were increased from involuntary manslaughter to second-degree murder Thursday when New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas announced his office would be taking over the case.

The maximum possible sentence for involuntary manslaughter is 18 months; second-degree murder carries a maximum prison sentence of 15 years.

Christopher Smelser stands accused of killing Antonio Valenzuela, 40, on February 29 after placing him in a vascular neck restraint. Police video from the incident shows Smelser cursing at Valenzuela and telling him he was going to, "choke you out bro."

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... 458071002/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

This is how Phoenix police treat somebody during a minor traffic stop?
Laurie Roberts Arizona Republic
Published 7:19 PM EDT Jul 15, 2020

Note to self: next time you’re pulled over by Phoenix police, make sure to have your driver's license front and center.

Failure to do so can apparently cause an officer to quickly introduce your face to the pavement as he pushes you down to the ground.

In Phoenix, anyway.

And that, it seems, is considered professional conduct.

In Phoenix, anyway.

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/opinion/ ... 444989002/

jmj

Post by jmj »

jmj wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:44 am So, here in Minneapolis, we've having a summer of elevated gun violence ever since the George Floyd protests. There have been hundreds of people shot, the city's automated "shot spotter" is reporting an increase of 47% over last year, and I've been hearing gunshots regularly from my home not far from the place George Floyd was killed. That intersection is still blocked off with concrete barriers and it still serves as a makeshift memorial site. Although it tends to be pretty safe and peaceful during the day, tensions are rising and there have been regular shootings in the vicinity over the past month, including several deaths. There have been multiple reports of nearby houses having their windows shot out from drive-by shootings. There was an armed robbery at 10am Sunday morning, and last night a pregnant woman was killed at the intersection (apparently the baby was saved).

All of this is bad enough, but the police behavior is compounding it. I've heard repeatedly over the past several weeks (including for both the armed robbery and the shooting yesterday) that when the police are called for an incident in the vicinity of the George Floyd memorial, they often simply don't show up. Sometimes, they take statements over the phone, or sometimes they demand that the victim walk five blocks (in any direction) to meet the police. In other words, the police apparently are simply refusing to come within about 5 blocks of the memorial site. They've just abandoned our whole neighbourhood. I realize that they have gotten hostile reactions when they've come near the area in the past, but people are getting killed. I don't know if this exclusion zone is official policy, or if it's individual officers simply refusing to do their jobs, but it's really unacceptable.

Sorry, needed to rant a little...
Following up:

https://www.startribune.com/staggering- ... 571809512/

'Staggering' number of Minneapolis cops seeking disability benefits
The total now is closer to 200, out of a sworn force of about 850 and amid a wave of violent crime in the city.
The continued surge of Minneapolis police officers seeking disability benefits after the George Floyd unrest is heightening concerns of a police staffing shortage amid a wave of violent crime.

Ron Meuser Jr., the lawyer handling the claims, said his office met with an additional 43 Minneapolis cops this week who have retained him. That’s in addition to the estimated 150 officers who Meuser said at a July 10 news conference had retained him. And it brings the total closer to 200 now, out of a sworn force of about 850.

Meuser said most of the officers starting the disability paperwork leave their jobs fairly quickly on a medical leave. The disability claims process can take up to six months.
So nearly a quarter of our police officers are filing disability claims for PTSD and going on medical leave. Meanwhile, several more gunfights within blocks of my house last night...

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Mass filings for disability is the 21st century Blue Flu. I will bet my paycheck that this was strategized in union meetings. A supermajority of the Minneapolis city council voted to defund/get rid of the police department. This is the rank and file showing them what it'll be like when that happens not on the council's timeline, but on the cops'.

The Minneapolis PD has a history of retaliating against city council members calling for increased supervision and accountability of the cops. They do so by refusing to answer calls in that council member's ward, either not showing up at all, or in nothing remotely like a timely basis. The residents of the ward are thus more likely to vote for more effective (read: tougher on crime) representation in the next election.

I've heard this bull before.
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:29 am
This is how Phoenix police treat somebody during a minor traffic stop?
Laurie Roberts Arizona Republic
Published 7:19 PM EDT Jul 15, 2020

Note to self: next time you’re pulled over by Phoenix police, make sure to have your driver's license front and center.

Failure to do so can apparently cause an officer to quickly introduce your face to the pavement as he pushes you down to the ground.

In Phoenix, anyway.

And that, it seems, is considered professional conduct.

In Phoenix, anyway.

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/opinion/ ... 444989002/
I'm sorry, she resisted him. And that "What did you pull me over for?" instead of answering his question doesn't engender much sympathy.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

RoadScholar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:54 pm I'm sorry, she resisted him. And that "What did you pull me over for?" instead of answering his question doesn't engender much sympathy.
I agree with you. She was uncooperative and did resist him. No ID, not her car, and behaving oddly (intoxicated on something or things). Of course he would cuff her (detain, not arrest) until he figured out what was going on.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:15 pm
RoadScholar wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:54 pm I'm sorry, she resisted him. And that "What did you pull me over for?" instead of answering his question doesn't engender much sympathy.
I agree with you. She was uncooperative and did resist him. No ID, not her car, and behaving oddly (intoxicated on something or things). Of course he would cuff her (detain, not arrest) until he figured out what was going on.
Yep. I wasn't going to chime in at the risk of sounding like I was defending a bad cop, but he did exactly what he should have done, with the least amount of damage that was possible. As an aside, most times when someone gets smacked on the concrete by a cop, the damage is to their nose or forehead. When the damage is to the cheekbone or side of the face, it's usually self-inflicted. Much easier to whack your own face on the sidewalk and scrape your cheek but it's very hard to whack yourself directly on the nose. Think about all the booking photos of actual cop damage. Nose and eyebrow injuries for the most part.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Rudy Harper
@RudyHarperWXYZ
·
2h
#BREAKING: A Detroit police officer has been charged with three counts of felonious assault for shooting three photojournalist with rubber bullets.
@wxyzdetroit
#protests2020

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

So the ex-cop who killed George Floyd has been charged with 9 counts of tax evasion.

And this:

And he was gonna arrest a guy for an alleged counterfeit $20 bill.

(I never did hear if it was actually bogus)

Lani

Post by Lani »

Tony Webster
@webster
Kellie Chauvin, the former officer's wife, has also been charged with tax fraud counts. She filed for divorce from Derek Chauvin in May, which is pending.
8:37 AM · Jul 22, 2020

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

This is happening here. 40+ officers have signed onto lawsuits against the Chief, assorted supervisors, the mayor and other city officials. We're so critically low on officers we only have just over 200 sworn personnel even though we should have around 450. The precinct I live in should have 11-14 officers on duty every shift. Sunday we had 5. The next precinct to the west should have 17. They had 5. This chief has done everything in his power, backed by our POS mayor, to cripple the PD and hide that fact from the public. They've already been sued for doctoring and hiding the COMSTAT and failing to post crime stats. Even the city website looks like it was developed by a 9 year old and makes it impossible to find any useful info. Something as simple as accurate addresses and spelling of street names for where the fire stations are located is beyond them. One of the fire stations has an address in the next town south of us and is about 15 miles from the actual station. Their culture of secrecy is so strong that when I filed a FOIA request for any business licenses that had ever been issued to a building we were buying, they denied the request for (mumble, mumble) reasons (mumble, mumble) and we never did get the info.

Officer held at gunpoint by her commander at police headquarters.
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/News-Reporters-Martha-Dee-claim.pdf
https://www.wjtv.com/news/woman-plans-t ... commander/

This one has a whole laundry list of crazy shit the city did to them.
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/News-Reporters.pdf
https://www.wjtv.com/news/lawsuit-expec ... orruption/

Apologies in advance for the absolutely abysmal writing, spelling, etc from the lawyer. All of her filings look like that.

Full disclosure, I know several of these officers, some quite well, and I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is just the tip of the iceberg of what is actually going on. I also have no doubt that everything they say is true. I have witnessed some of it firsthand.

eta. It dawned on me that those might not be links, so I added the news articles that have the links at the bottom of the stories.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks, Sug. :bighug: Jesus.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

White West Virginia officers sued over Black man’s beating
By Associated Press
July 28, 2020 at 3:50 p.m. GMT+2

WESTOVER, W.Va. — A Black West Virginia man has filed a federal lawsuit against a police chief and two white officers accused of pulling him from his home and beating him, fracturing facial bones and causing other serious injuries, according to the suit.

The lawsuit brought by Andre Howton this month in U.S. District Court in the Northern District of West Virginia names Westover Police Chief Richard Panico and officers Zachary Fecsko and Aaron Dalton.

Fecsko is accused of violating Howton’s civil rights by “unlawfully seizing” and using excessive force against him, while Dalton is accused of failing to intervene, among other allegations against the two. The lawsuit said Panico hired the officers despite previous records of violence.

The lawsuit alleged Fecsko struck Howton more than 13 times after responding to Howton’s home to help remove a woman from the residence on New Year’s Day in 2019. According to the lawsuit, Fecsko also called Howton “boy” because of his race, and then assaulted him while Dalton encouraged the beating,

The 22-minute encounter was captured on Dalton’s body camera, news outlets reported.

The two later denied Howton aid for his injuries, the lawsuit alleged.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

[quote]Viral Video Of Colorado Cops Holding Black Family At Gunpoint Ignites Outrage, Calls For Reform
Lisette Voytko
Updated Aug 4, 2020, 12:05pm EDT

Aurora police on Sunday stopped Brittney Gilliam and her four nieces, ranging from ages 6 to 17 in a parking lot, and forced the girls—who can be heard screaming and crying—to lie on the hot pavement and handcuffed the 12-year-old and the 17-year-old.

The officers detained Gilliam and her family because the license plate number on Gilliam’s SUV matched one for a motorcycle reported stolen, which Aurora police later admitted was an error.

Aurora police chief Vanessa Wilson issued an apology and offered therapy to the family Monday, saying that the officers were trained to handle possible stolen cars by drawing their guns and ordering passengers to lie on the ground, but added that officers should be allowed to “deviate from this process when different scenarios present themselves.”

Outrage from the incident poured forth on social media, as users pointed out that in 2019, 23-year-old Black man Elijah McClain died after Aurora police put him in a choke hold and paramedics injected him with ketamine, used as a heavy sedative.

Social media users also pointed out that in 2012, James Holmes, the white male shooter who killed 12 people and injured 70 others at an Aurora movie theater, had been taken into custody alive probably because of his race.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoy ... orm//quote]

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=79lM_1596508935

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

“It was done wrong”: Aurora police chief explains mistakes that led to officers handcuffing children
The officers are not on leave and are working on the street
By ELISE SCHMELZER | eschmelzer@denverpost.com and SAM TABACHNIK | stabachnik@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: August 4, 2020 at 2:40 p.m. | UPDATED: August 4, 2020 at 7:45 p.m.

The now viral video shows four Black girls, ages 6, 12, 14 and 17, lying face down in a parking lot with the youngest wearing a pink crown and crying for her mother as another girl begs Aurora police officers, “Can I hug my sister next to me?”

Brittney Gilliam, handcuffed in the back of a police cruiser after police wrongly apprehended her because they believed she was driving a stolen car, felt helpless as her daughter and nieces wailed. Sunday was supposed to be a girls’ day at a nail salon but now police had drawn guns and forced them to lie face down on hot asphalt.

“I felt rage,” Gilliam said. “I felt weak that I couldn’t protect my own kids from that happening to them. When you’re a parent, you have to answer every time your child calls, cries, gets a boo-boo. You have to be there to pick up the pieces all the time. Not being able to pick up the pieces — with the officers dehumanizing them, putting them through that traumatic experience — it’s heartbreaking.”

The video became the latest crisis for the Aurora Police Department, and on her first day as its permanent chief Vanessa Wilson apologized and, yet again, tried to explain how her department erred by failing to double check information from a license-plate scanner before detaining Gilliam and four children.

“It was done wrong,” she said. “That’s the bottom line.”

In a Tuesday interview with The Denver Post, Wilson explained how officers bungled the Sunday incident that has drawn national attention and criticism to the department. The chief described several errors made by the officers and said she recognized the officers’ actions were traumatic to the children.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/08/04/a ... ren-video/

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:40 pm
“It was done wrong”: Aurora police chief explains mistakes that led to officers handcuffing children

But previously, she said that is how they are trained (which she had approved of) to approach a suspected stolen vehicle? Guns drawn, full force, militant!! Even against a vehicle with women and young children? And even before double checking the stolen vehicle report? Stolen was for a motorcycle, not car. :fingerwag: :brickwallsmall:

Why are they still on the streets before getting proper training?

smh :nope:

They're getting a good lawyer. Hope Aurora is ready to pay $$$. Screw the "therapy" you offer and just write the check.

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:40 pm
By ELISE SCHMELZER | eschmelzer@denverpost.com and SAM TABACHNIK | stabachnik@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: August 4, 2020 at 2:40 p.m. | UPDATED: August 4, 2020 at 7:45 p.m.

The now viral video shows four Black girls, ages 6, 12, 14 and 17, lying face down in a parking lot with the youngest wearing a pink crown and crying for her mother as another girl begs Aurora police officers, “Can I hug my sister next to me?”

Brittney Gilliam, handcuffed in the back of a police cruiser after police wrongly apprehended her because they believed she was driving a stolen car, felt helpless as her daughter and nieces wailed. Sunday was supposed to be a girls’ day at a nail salon but now police had drawn guns and forced them to lie face down on hot asphalt.

“I felt rage,” Gilliam said. “I felt weak that I couldn’t protect my own kids from that happening to them. When you’re a parent, you have to answer every time your child calls, cries, gets a boo-boo. You have to be there to pick up the pieces all the time. Not being able to pick up the pieces — with the officers dehumanizing them, putting them through that traumatic experience — it’s heartbreaking.”

The video became the latest crisis for the Aurora Police Department, and on her first day as its permanent chief Vanessa Wilson apologized and, yet again, tried to explain how her department erred by failing to double check information from a license-plate scanner before detaining Gilliam and four children.

In a Tuesday interview with The Denver Post, Wilson explained how officers bungled the Sunday incident that has drawn national attention and criticism to the department. The chief described several errors made by the officers and said she recognized the officers’ actions were traumatic to the children.

Another important tidbit:
The Sunday incident began about 10:55 a.m. after Gilliam drove through an intersection with a license-plate reader, which automatically scans the plates of passing vehicles and runs the numbers against a database of stolen or wanted vehicles. If the number matches one in the database, the machine takes a picture of the passing car.

The reader, however, does not record the state where the license plate was issued or what type of plate it is. The license plate number on Gilliam’s car matched the number of a motorcycle reported stolen, though the motorcycle had Montana plates, Wilson said.

The license-plate number and the photo of Gilliam’s car were then sent to officers, who failed to look up the plate number in the National Crime Information Center to double check the information. If they had taken time to double check, they would have realized Gilliam’s SUV was not the stolen motorcycle.
Car plates don't fit on motorcycles, and a motorcycle plate will stand out on a car like a sore thumb. Someone too clueless to know this is too stupid to trust with a badge and gun. And someone who would intentionally overlook this "detail" just because the driver of the SUV happened to be black is too racist to be trusted with a badge and a gun.

ETA: What Neon said :)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, and 4 granddogs and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.wonkette.com/amp/hero-auror ... 2646888520
Cops Behaving Badly

When Gilliam asked why the minors were being handcuffed, the cops didn't immediately put her in a chokehold for "resisting." These were obviously the “good cops" we hear so much about. The officers told Gilliam that they "handcuff kids when they get hostile," which means they have a general "handcuff Black kids" policy because no child is cool like Fonzie when people are pointing guns at them and handcuffing their loved ones.

There's no excuse for treating children this way even if Gilliam was a car thief, but she's not! It was all a mistake, one that just keeps happening as if it's the desired outcome.

Most white people have positive stories about cops. I don't know them that way. One of my earliest memories is of my cousin coming to our house in tears. A cop had pulled her over at night and ordered her to remove the tint from her windows, with her fingers, at gunpoint. She was 16.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb ... CUlE5ldPvM

"Why Iron-man and why not Fe-male? This joke is not for everyone." - Monde Mobsinner Bakaqana to The Science Nerds on Twitter.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Tennessee HP trooper accused of ripping mask off man's face terminated
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2 ... 587798002/
A Tennessee Highway Patrol trooper accused of ripping a face mask off a bystander filming a traffic stop has been terminated.

A THP spokesman confirmed Trooper Harvey Briggs' termination Friday evening after an internal investigation by the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security. Briggs was found to have violated a department policy and was terminated for unprofessional conduct.

The firing comes after Briggs, a 22-year employee of the agency, was placed on leave after a video surfaced of an altercation with a bystander.

A video posted by Andrew Golden shows him filming a traffic stop by troopers at the Capitol Monday evening. On the video, Briggs warned Golden not to impede on the stop.
https://youtu.be/3wdCh14lwuQ

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

What is it with Detroit cops and dogs?

Don’t click thru if easily upset.
Sekrit Stuffs!

tencats

Post by tencats »

Police officers in Kenosha, Wisconsin shot Jacob Blake, 29, in the back at least seven times while they were responding to a "domestic incident."
https://www.insider.com/jacob-blake-ken ... sts-2020-8

:brickwallsmall:
https://youtu.be/ikMF-JECB7A

A graphic video posted to social media Sunday appeared to show Jacob Blake walking away from two police officers and attempting to get in his car when one of the officers grabs and pulls his T-shirt from behind. After that, the two officers point their guns at his back and fire seven shots.

Blake was taken to a Milwaukee hospital for surgery, his brother told the WTMJ-TV reporter Lauren Linder, but remains in serious condition. Civil-rights attorney Ben Crump said Blake's three sons were in the car when the shots were fired.

The shooting of Blake prompted Kenosha — a city of just over 100,000 — to erupt in rage and violence on Sunday night.
Joe Biden says Kenosha, Wisconsin, police officers ‘must be held accountable’ for shooting Black man Jacob Blake in the back
Published Mon, Aug 24 20201:36 PM EDT | https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/24/jacob-b ... oting.html
The Wisconsin Department of Justice gave few details about the shooting. It said police responded to a “reported domestic incident” in Kenosha on Sunday evening before the shooting.

The office of Benjamin Crump, a civil rights attorney retained by Blake’s family, said Blake was “helping to deescalate a domestic incident when police drew their weapons and tasered him.” As he was “walking away to check on his children, police fired their weapons several times into his back at point blank range,” Crump’s office said.

In a statement, Crump said Blake’s “three sons witnessed their father collapse after being riddled with bullets.” He called it a “miracle” that Blake is still alive.

“We will seek justice for Jacob Blake and for his family as we demand answers from the Kenosha Police Department. How many more of these tragic ‘while Black’ tragedies will it take until the racial profiling and undervaluing of Black lives by the police finally stops?” Crump said.

Raysean White, a 22-year-old who filmed the video, told NBC that he heard women arguing across the street from his apartment. Then, the man later identified as Blake arrived in a truck. White later saw police “wrestling” with Blake, and then started to record after he saw an officer tase Blake.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”