Cops Behaving Badly

Volkonski

Re: Cops Behaving Badly

Post by Volkonski »

Michelle Kosinski
@MichLKosinski
·
1m
NEW: Official source: Bethesda Bicycle Biff (actual name to come) is under arrest.
Being processed in the jail as we speak.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Michelle Kosinski
@MichLKosinski
·
1m
NEW: Official source: Arrest was calm.
He was taken in without even a wrist-grab or a paper-snatch.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Then, AFAIK so far, this is NOT a case of a "cop acting badly". I see nothing to support the idea that Mr. Brennan is, or ever was, a cop of any kind.

Not correcting anybody, because there were rumors, but for the sake of clarity.
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I can't tell — I saw references to "young woman," but it looked to me like the person he grabbed by the arm is more of a girl (pre-teen or early teens). Does anyone know? Whether child, teen or adult, she's a third his size...

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I'm predicting the announcement for the early retirement of some heretofor unknown partner / associate / marketing VP so he can spend more time with his family in the not to distant future.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Foggy wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:38 am
Then, AFAIK so far, this is NOT a case of a "cop acting badly". I see nothing to support the idea that Mr. Brennan is, or ever was, a cop of any kind.

Not correcting anybody, because there were rumors, but for the sake of clarity.
When I first posted I had seen the rumors that the biker was or had been with the police but not the debunkings. :oops:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:42 am
I can't tell — I saw references to "young woman," but it looked to me like the person he grabbed by the arm is more of a girl (pre-teen or early teens). Does anyone know? Whether child, teen or adult, she's a third his size...
The reports say she is 19 years old.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:56 am
pipistrelle wrote:
One news network described her as a "young woman" this morning, another described her as a "young teen." It's hard to tell with her face blurred out, but she looks like a young teen to me.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

ZekeB wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:03 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:56 am
pipistrelle wrote:
One news network described her as a "young woman" this morning, another described her as a "young teen." It's hard to tell with her face blurred out, but she looks like a young teen to me.
If they were young teens the charges would reflect that. Assault on a minor or some such.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

[preaching to the choir]
Shouldn't matter (emphasis on shouldn't). 9, 19, or 99, her 1A rights guarantee she can post political signs (littering public lands aside). Likewise, he could have exercised his 1A by following behind peacefully collecting the signs of a message he disagrees with, or collecting litter for that matter, and never interacted any of them.
[/preaching to the choir]

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Michelle Kosinski
@MichLKosinski
·
10h
To review:
* Anthony Brennan III was arrested tonight.
* He IS NOT/ WAS NOT a cop.
* Twitter did not find him.
* 3 counts of 2nd-degree assault, which are misdemeanors.
* The people in his rage video were teenagers.
* He has been fired from his job.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Thanks. That one whose arm he grabbed looked young.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

He's sorry, of course.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/06/0 ... -lose-job/
Alleged Bethesda Bike Assaulter Apologizes, Appears to Lose Job
“I am sick with remorse for the pain and fear I caused."
Meanwhile, Brennan appears to have been fired by his employer in the wake of the arrest. A LinkedIn profile shows up in a Google search listing Tony Brennan as executive VP of a company called MadeToOrder, which makes branded promotional merchandise (the actual LinkedIn profile has been deleted.

Last night, MadeToOrder tweeted a statement saying that it had terminated an unspecified employee who “engaged in disturbing, wrongful, and completely unacceptable behavior directed towards peaceful demonstrators.”
It's bad enough that we have the Threepers and Oath Keepers all over the place, but I'm elitist* enough to be disturbed that so many so-called professionals are acting out violently.

* I qualify this with saying I come from one of the least elitist backgrounds you can imagine.

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/us/buffa ... index.html

In my neck of the woods. Buffalo is around 40 minutes from me.

Two cops were suspended for pushing a man in his 70s to the ground and leaving him lying on the sidewalk bleeding from his head. The other 57 cops resigned from the emergency team in protest of the suspensions.

:brokenheart: :crying: And :mad2:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Bill_G wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:18 am
I'm predicting the announcement for the early retirement of some heretofor unknown partner / associate / marketing VP so he can spend more time with his family in the not to distant future.
:thumbs: Someone was reading the tealeafs rather than imbibing the juices thereof :lol:
pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:42 am
He's sorry, of course.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/06/0 ... -lose-job/
Alleged Bethesda Bike Assaulter Apologizes, Appears to Lose Job
“I am sick with remorse for the pain and fear I caused."
Meanwhile, Brennan appears to have been fired by his employer in the wake of the arrest. A LinkedIn profile shows up in a Google search listing Tony Brennan as executive VP of a company called MadeToOrder, which makes branded promotional merchandise (the actual LinkedIn profile has been deleted.

Last night, MadeToOrder tweeted a statement saying that it had terminated an unspecified employee who “engaged in disturbing, wrongful, and completely unacceptable behavior directed towards peaceful demonstrators.”
It's bad enough that we have the Threepers and Oath Keepers all over the place, but I'm elitist* enough to be disturbed that so many so-called professionals are acting out violently.

* I qualify this with saying I come from one of the least elitist backgrounds you can imagine.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

jemcanada wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:51 am
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/us/buffa ... index.html

In my neck of the woods. Buffalo is around 40 minutes from me.

Two cops were suspended for pushing a man in his 70s to the ground and leaving him lying on the sidewalk bleeding from his head. The other 57 cops resigned from the emergency team in protest of the suspensions.

:brokenheart: :crying: And :mad2:
2 Buffalo Police officers charged with second degree assault

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime ... 42be85c56b
Two suspended Buffalo Police officers who have received national attention after a video was captured showing them shoving a 75-year-old man to the ground in front of Buffalo City Hall Thursday night were formally charged Saturday.

Aaron Torgalski, 39, and Robert McCabe, 32, were both virtually arraigned Saturday morning with assault in the second degree, a class D felony.

Both pleaded not guilty and are scheduled to return on July 20 for a felony hearing. Both have been released on their own recognizance.

Erie County District Attorney John Flynn says there is police body cam footage of the incident, but he has not seen it yet. He said he has seen two videos of the incident so far.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Fox News interviewed Terry Turchie about his new book "In their own Words". He explains how the Weathermen from the 60's has taken over the Democratic Party, and that systemic racism within police forces doesn't exist, and never has.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Acyn Torabi@Acyn
Buffalo police officers applauded by their colleagues as they leave the courthouse

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Not surprising.
On October 25, 2008 the United Nations released a report entitled "State of the World's Cities" in which the Buffalo-Niagara Falls area was specifically cited as having one of the worst rates of economic inequality in the world and that it was racially based. The report specifically stated "the report cited figures from western New York state, where 40 per cent of black, Hispanic and ethnically mixed households earned less than $15,000 in 1999, as compared to 15 per cent of white households."[14] In addition, the United States Census department also released information placing the Buffalo-Niagara metro area, as the 8th most segregated area in America.[15]

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Brought the Northeastern University Deputy Assistant Athletic Director Tim Duncan story here from the protest threads. viewtopic.php?f=45&t=12689&p=1187656&hi ... n#p1187644

A man was shot multiple times in broad daylight in Dorchester, a rough neighborhood in Boston. He died at the scene. His alleged killer was arrested in Dorchester, but a house in Newton, a very upscale town that borders several of Boston’s more affluent neighborhoods, was suspected and staked out. In the search for the killer, a black resident of Newton was stopped at gunpoint and asked for identification.

My question is, did the Newton cops act badly? Did they racially profile Duncan? Did they act appropriately?

Here’s the Wicked Local Newton paper. https://newton.wickedlocal.com/news/202 ... tion-photo

Here’s pictures of both men.
AD869F55-94FC-42FA-B5BF-EA2EF3EC770B.jpeg
Duncan was stopped in Newton on 5/20, Yaliek Allah-Barnes (the suspect) was arrested in Newton 5/21. Duncan is 6’8”, Allah-Barnes is 6’3” according to his license, but is listed on other records as anywhere from 6’0” to 6’8”. Duncan is 50, Allah-Barnes is 37.

Duncan says this was the first time he has ever been pulled over by Newton Police. There were either 4 or 6 officers, depending on who is talking. One officer pulled his gun. They let him go as soon as they saw his ID. One apologized to Duncan.

Seems to me like they saw a person matching the description, confronted him, saw he wasn’t the suspect, let him go. Not racial profiling.

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Lani

Post by Lani »

They look very different to me. The shape of the face, all facial features, and hairline are very different for starters. Duncan also seems to have a graying beard.

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

They look very different to me.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Honestly, I could probably make the mistake as they have the same shape beard and hairstyle and whatnot. I think both sides seem to have handled it ok and he got an apology and he said had never been stopped before. Simple mistaken identity. On the level of "racist incidents" this is a nothingberder.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

The part that Jumped out at me is that he took care not to reach for his id - because he has had to train himself and his children not to do anything that might result in a police officer killing them.

Admittedly it also happens (less) to non POC - for example the Australian woman who called police because she thought a rape was happening - and was shot by a police officer when she went to check.

That knowledge that You cannot trust your police not to shoot you is for me completely foreign.

But then I’m white, middle aged, well spoken, neat in public and in Australia.
So my expectations may be a result of my privilege.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”