Cops Behaving Badly

SLQ

Re: Cops Behaving Badly

Post by SLQ »

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:07 pm
And this was over an alleged forged check...
An alleged counterfeit $20 bill.

Edit: I didn't see the other post about this upthread.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Lani

Post by Lani »

This is the singer Obama mentioned in his statement.

A 12-year-old gospel singer named Keedron Bryant posted an original song about the heartbreaking realities of being a young black man. In the wake of George Foyd's death, the boy's song has become a rallying cry. "Just singing what’s on my heart...hope this blesses someone," Bryant wrote.

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

Minneapolis: W 31st & Blaisdell Ave (not far from MPD 5th Precinct), MPD is out in force & deploying tear gas & flash bang/stun grenades. Blocking vehicular traffic. May be attempting to secure area.

EDIT: National Guard & State Patrol is with MPD. State Patrol is also at location in force. Not seen that over the past nights. Protester just shot by police with unknown type weapon in the face, is down in middle of street & unresponsive according to bystander. Well Fargo Bank still on fire in the background. MFD is not there.
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." --President George W. Bush

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

CNN reports 350 state troopers in area of MPD 5th Precinct, also reports National Guard units intend to hold areas police have taken thus allowing police to advance into other areas and take those. Empty Metro Transit buses seen in area, presumably for arrestees.

EDIT: W 32nd St & Pillsbury Ave S, unidentified commercial building on fire, protesters setting up barricades in streets of the area.
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." --President George W. Bush

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

Indigo wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:47 am
EDIT: National Guard & State Patrol is with MPD. State Patrol is also at location in force. Not seen that over the past nights. Protester just shot by police with unknown type weapon in the face, is down in middle of street & unresponsive according to bystander. Well Fargo Bank still on fire in the background. MFD is not there.
Just watched live stream of looting happening right in front of the National Guard troops on Lake St. Guard not doing anything at all. So unknown if CNN report is accurate or not.

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

Minneapolis: Looks like the US Post Office, Lake Street Station (one block away from MPD 5th Precinct) is completely destroyed by fire.

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

House on fire, Columbus Ave between Lake & E 31st. Across (west) from the CareerForce parking lot. Self-evacuations in progress. This live feed info is not the same as that near the USPS Lake Street Station (that also went up).

Some are running. Including little kids, one small enough to be carried (toddler perhaps) by an adult. Some people look in shock. Jumping in cars and leaving. Live stream guy trying to help people there. Really horrible. None of these folks look to be protesters at all.

Fire department is no where to be seen yet.

EDIT: The house burning may have caught fire from a liquor store that was fully involved, at the corner of Columbus Ave & E Lake Street; a narrow alley runs between the back or the liquor store and the house that caught fire. A second house on Columbus, next to the one that caught on fire, may also be going up.

Lani

Post by Lani »

https://twitter .com/chadloder/status/1266527358531469312

https://twitter .com/TWULocal100/status/1266545375357394944

jmj

Post by jmj »

Indigo wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:42 am
House on fire, Columbus Ave between Lake & E 31st. Across (west) from the CareerForce parking lot. Self-evacuations in progress. This live feed info is not the same as that near the USPS Lake Street Station (that also went up).

Some are running. Including little kids, one small enough to be carried (toddler perhaps) by an adult. Some people look in shock. Jumping in cars and leaving. Live stream guy trying to help people there. Really horrible. None of these folks look to be protesters at all.

Fire department is no where to be seen yet.

EDIT: The house burning may have caught fire from a liquor store that was fully involved, at the corner of Columbus Ave & E Lake Street; a narrow alley runs between the back or the liquor store and the house that caught fire. A second house on Columbus, next to the one that caught on fire, may also be going up.
I have friends that live less than half a block South of lake street just blocks west from there. A gas station near them was on fire last night. No firefighters present for hours. No response to 911 calls. We told them they could come stay with us but they decided to stay in their home as long as they could. They're ok as of this morning. This weekend will get worse.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Now families with kids are homeless? When will the mob have enough? And where is the leadership?

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:25 am
Now families with kids are homeless? When will the mob have enough? And where is the leadership?
They aren't listening to the leaders, including pleas of community leaders and church leaders.

The leaders are there, but they won't follow.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:35 am
pipistrelle wrote:
They aren't listening to the leaders, including pleas of community leaders and church leaders.

I mean the mayor, the police chief, whomever, seem to have abandoned Minneapolis. I probably missed something.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:45 am
neonzx wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:35 am
pipistrelle wrote:

I mean the mayor, the police chief, whomever, seem to have abandoned Minneapolis. I probably missed something.
The police chief is born and raised in Minneapolis and is African-American himself. He has been very vocal on this including protecting the rights of people to assemble, but his mission is first to protect life. Criminal acts aren't excused when they endanger the community and it's residents. The mayor has been most impassioned in calls for justice, referring to the death of George Floyd as a "killing" from the early stages and wanted criminal charges brought.

But these voices aren't being heard or listened to because so many are out in the streets. Mob mentality.

It's sad and repulsive. :(

Lani

Post by Lani »

Shaken by another night of chaos that overwhelmed law enforcement, Gov. Tim Walz said Saturday he will fully mobilize the National Guard to combat what he called a "tightly controlled" group of outside agitators, some of them from out of state, who have turned city streets into scenes of looting and arson.

The struggle to control the mayhem could bring another 1,000 National Guard soldiers into the cities, supplementing a force of 700, already the largest civil policing authority in the state's history. Law enforcement officials said it would be the first full mobilization of the Guard in Minnesota since World War II.

"Our cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul are under assault," Walz said, suggesting that a growing number of rioters are coming from outside the city, and possibly outside the state, in what he called "an organized attempt to destabilize civil society."

Walz said as many as 80% of the people causing destruction and fire in the cities could be from elsewhere. He distinguished the wanton looting and vandalism from the legitimate and mostly peaceful protests that began Tuesday, the day after the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man who died in police custody.
https://www.startribune.com/walz-twin-c ... 570892512/

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

From the NYT:

The Defense Department ordered the Army to prepare active-duty military police units to deploy to Minneapolis as protests over the death of George Floyd engulfed the city for a fourth night on Friday, with businesses set on fire and gunshots fired near a police precinct.

Officials said that the Army on Friday issued “prepare to deploy” orders for military police units from several army bases around the country. The orders came at the behest of President Trump, the officials said, who has been seeking options from his senior national security leaders, including Defense Secretary Mark Esper, for how to deal with the chaotic protests that have ignited in dozens of cities.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Cross posting - Gov. Walz's press conference this morning. Lots of information provided about “an organized attempt to destabilize civil society.”

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The rumor of protesters planning to come to Bloomington last night turned out to be a started by some dumb kid. I did see a video on Twitter of folks gathering at that intersection last night, basically your typical urban spectators. I did drive by that area this morning and some businesses are boarded up.

I also drove by the Bloomington Target (494 & Penn Ave.) just now. Yesterday morning it was open with a police car parked prominently in front. Today it is closed and boarded up.

Sigh.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

I've heard this bull before.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Trump was just on MSNBC as he left for somewhere in the helicopter. He actually said the bad things out loud again. He said "MAGA (that's Make America Great Again) loves black people." (Yeah, we know what MAGA means. idiot.) He was referring to "MAGA" as a group of people in response to reports that there were reported to be counter protests by MAGAs. So, MAGAs are not black people, but "love" black people. And, becasue of the campaign slogan, MAGAs actually want to make America great, so they can't be or do anything bad. He said it several times, as he's inclined to do in his speech patterns. He also called the protesters at the 3rd precinct "stupid."
-- Yoda

tek

Post by tek »

SLQ wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:01 pm
He also called the protesters at the 3rd precinct "stupid."
So presidential.

:sick:
There's no way back
from there to here

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

tencats

Post by tencats »

Minnesota director of pub safety just said that majority of arrests were from out of state. Governor said approximately 80 percent. They are tracing on social media for links to white supremacist groups urging violence.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/30/us/georg ... index.html
:shock:
(CNN)Minnesota's governor said Saturday he will move to "fully mobilize the National Guard" after destructive Minneapolis-area protests that he says are "no longer in any way about the murder of George Floyd."
"Last night (was) a mockery of pretending this about George Floyd's death or inequities," Gov. Tim Walz said in a news conference. He asserted unrest has become about outsiders -- largely not Minnesotans -- "attacking civil society (and) instilling fear."
Walz's comments came the day after a breathtaking night of protests, fires and riots in cities across the country, sparked in part by Monday's death of Floyd, an unarmed and handcuffed 46-year-old black man, while in Minneapolis police custody.

Walz and the mayors of Minneapolis and St. Paul said vandals are largely nonresidents of the cities with no interest in Floyd's death. The state's "communities of color ... were out fighting hand in hand," he said, to try to save businesses, some that took generations to build, that were under attack.

"Nothing we do to provide justice" for Floyd "matter(s) to any of these people who are out here firing upon the National Guard, burning" businesses and "disrupting civil life," Walz said.
Every person arrested Friday night in St. Paul was from out of state, Mayor Melvin Carter said.
"We will not accept George Floyd's death. We will not accept the destruction of our communities, either," Carter said.
Assertions about outside agitators come partly from data about who has been arrested, as well as information from fliers and online postings, state public safety commissioner John Harrington said. He said he hopes to release supporting information later Saturday.

Walz said he understands that "Minnesotans' ... inability to deal with inequality" and racism catalyzed the protests -- but he said rough estimates indicate only 20% of protesters there are Minnesotans.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

I've been listening to the police scanners here the past couple of nights and yes, the police have been receiving and passing along reports of groups of white guys in vehicles with outstate plates heading to the protests. A memorable one was phoned in by the manager of the motel the guys stayed in. The manager provided the Texas plate number and descriptions of the vehicle and the guys.

ETA: this isn't just happening in the Twin Cities, either. Antifa folk have been monitoring online accounts of white supremacists etc, and sharing the news when these guys post that they're heading out. They're sharing photos and livestreams to help identify who these guys are, where they are, and to confront them or report them to the local cops when they show up.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

tek wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:29 pm
SLQ wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:01 pm
He also called the protesters at the 3rd precinct "stupid."
So presidential.

:sick:
I have to correct that. I just watched the clip. He called the police who left the 3rd precinct "stupid." (I won't link to it because it's a Faux News clip on the Team Trump twitter thread."
-- Yoda

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”