Cops Behaving Badly

Lani

Re: Cops Behaving Badly

Post by Lani »

I didn't see it. I hope it's posted everywhere.
Sekrit Stuffs!
I had a call today from someone I knew years ago when I had a different job, although I'm still working in the civil rights area. I get a lot of calls from people in distress, and I talk to everyone who is freaking out about the current situation and give them the information they need, even though it's not my job.

So on such a call today, after we chatted about her concerns, I was asked about the mayor of Minneapolis. I said the city was fortunate to have a mayor who understood the horror of the last 400 years. She ranted about the slave trade being caused by other Africans selling people to the colonies and that Blacks had two hundred years to get it together. I asked when did the two hundred years occur that Blacks weren't being lynched, beaten, raped, forced off their lands, sent to the back of bus, homes burned to the ground, denied equal education, paid below minimal wage, murdered by cop, and die from lack of medical care.

I don't think the call ended well for her.

My kiddo is worried about what is happening on the mainland. He asked if I thought there is race war going on. I told him it is and has been for a long time. That's why we're here in Hawaii.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Lani wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:25 am
Sekrit Stuffs!
I had a call today from someone I knew years ago when I had a different job, although I'm still working in the civil rights area. I get a lot of calls from people in distress, and I talk to everyone who is freaking out about the current situation and give them the information they need, even though it's not my job.

So on such a call today, after we chatted about her concerns, I was asked about the mayor of Minneapolis. I said the city was fortunate to have a mayor who understood the horror of the last 400 years. She ranted about the slave trade being caused by other Africans selling people to the colonies and that Blacks had two hundred years to get it together. I asked when did the two hundred years occur that Blacks weren't being lynched, beaten, raped, forced off their lands, sent to the back of bus, homes burned to the ground, denied equal education, paid below minimal wage, murdered by cop, and die from lack of medical care.

I don't think the call ended well for her.

My kiddo is worried about what is happening on the mainland. He asked if I thought there is race war going on. I told him it is and has been for a long time. That's why we're here in Hawaii.
Is it really a race war when the blacks and whites are standing side by side?

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN: CNN team arrested by Minnesota police on live television

CNN journalist Omar Jimenez has been taken into police custody during a live broadcast at the site of the protests in Minneapolis, after clearly identifying himself to officers.

Jimenez's crew, including a producer and a camera operator, were also placed in handcuffs.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Lani

Post by Lani »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:29 am
Lani wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:25 am
Is it really a race war when the blacks and whites are standing side by side?
No, and he is organizing a protest tomorrow. He hasn't lived on the mainland and doesn't understand WTF is going on with this shit,

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Addie wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:42 am
CNN: CNN team arrested by Minnesota police on live television

CNN journalist Omar Jimenez has been taken into police custody during a live broadcast at the site of the protests in Minneapolis, after clearly identifying himself to officers.

Jimenez's crew, including a producer and a camera operator, were also placed in handcuffs.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1266368979003564032

:cantlook:
CNN@CNN
CNN reporter Omar Jimenez, who is black and Latino, and his team were arrested by officers early this morning in Minneapolis. Not far away, CNN journalist Josh Campbell, who is white, says he was "treated much differently." https://cnn.it/36S5HIB

The Minnesota State Patrol released this statement on Twitter: "In the course of clearing the streets and restoring order at Lake Street and Snelling Avenue, four people were arrested by State Patrol troopers, including three members of a CNN crew. The three were released once they were confirmed to be members of the media."

​CNN broadcast shows Jimenez clearly ​displaying his CNN badge before he was restrained.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Jim Sciutto
@jimsciutto
·
41m
Note who else was arrested and handcuffed today - a proud
@USArmy
veteran:
Quote Tweet

Barbara Starr
@barbarastarrcnn
· 1h
CNN photojournalist & Army veteran Leonel Mendez was arrested today for doing his job. Listen here to his words about what the Army meant to him.

@ArmyChiefStaff @MarkHertling @thejointstaff @ChiefPentSpox @EsperDoD He was light infantry/BFV gunner.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:08 am
I saw a possible ID on this guy but don’t want to post a possible vs. positive. He is an agitator, not a protestor if correct.

jmj

Post by jmj »

Yeah, there's speculation that he's a Stl Paul cop. But people seem eager to believe conspiracies and they also seem to think that superficial resemblance is proof of identity. (See also: the widely-shared images showing the cop Derek Chauvin in the racist baseball cap that turned out to not be him). In any case, I don't really understand the obsession with identifying this guy. It's not as if he is responsible for all of the destruction. Maybe he was an early instigator, but many others gleefully participated...

I'm heartbroken for my city right now.

My county representative:

That was yesterday, before all of last night's destruction.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

jmj wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:29 am
Yeah, there's speculation that he's a Stl Paul cop. But people seem eager to believe conspiracies and they also seem to think that superficial resemblance is proof of identity.
Yeah, I am advising people to be cautious over this tidbit. It would not surprise me in the least if it was true given police HAVE used plainclothes cops to escalate in order to bring in a heavy hand... but I would also not be surprised if it was incorrect or an outright hoax. The meme claims IMs that may or may not be real.

I am waiting for actual journalists to investigate and report back before being confident one way or the other.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

jmj wrote:
In any case, I don't really understand the obsession with identifying this guy. It's not as if he is responsible for all of the destruction. Maybe he was an early instigator, but many others gleefully participated...
That is true. But he threw a lit match on gasoline, essentially. And while the videos I saw showed that some of the protesters were quite upset with this individual... I also saw a couple people happily jump in though the busted-out windows. :(
A "citizens arrest" was called for of that man.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

CBS News
@CBSNews
·
6m
MN Gov. Tim Walz says the arrest of a CNN reporter and his crew while giving a live television report Friday morning was “inexcusable” and “should not have happened" https://cbsn.ws/2ZOf22r

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I am new to MN Gov Walz, and now a huge fan. His presser was incredibly thoughtful, refreshing and honest.

jmj

Post by jmj »

neonzx wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:50 am
jmj wrote:
In any case, I don't really understand the obsession with identifying this guy. It's not as if he is responsible for all of the destruction. Maybe he was an early instigator, but many others gleefully participated...
That is true. But he threw a lit match on gasoline, essentially. And while the videos I saw showed that some of the protesters were quite upset with this individual... I also saw a couple people happily jump in though the busted-out windows. :(
I don't know if you're using the phrase "threw a lit match on gasoline" figuratively or literally. But as far as I know, this man did not start the fire. He only broke the windows. Others started the fire after the fact. At least, the videos I've seen of him show him leaving after breaking the windows.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

jmj wrote:
Yeah, there's speculation that he's a Stl Paul cop. But people seem eager to believe conspiracies and they also seem to think that superficial resemblance is proof of identity. (See also: the widely-shared images showing the cop Derek Chauvin in the racist baseball cap that turned out to not be him). In any case, I don't really understand the obsession with identifying this guy. It's not as if he is responsible for all of the destruction. Maybe he was an early instigator, but many others gleefully participated...

I'm heartbroken for my city right now.

:snippity:
:bighug: :bighug:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

jmj wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:03 pm
neonzx wrote:
jmj wrote:
I don't know if you're using the phrase "threw a lit match on gasoline" figuratively or literally. But as far as I know, this man did not start the fire. He only broke the windows. Others started the fire after the fact. At least, the videos I've seen of him show him leaving after breaking the windows.
And your point is?

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

jmj wrote:
neonzx wrote:
jmj wrote:
Figuratively, of course. No, he didn't start the actual fire. He was there to stir shit up. And did.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Look at those two tweets side by side.

jmj

Post by jmj »

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:05 pm
jmj wrote:
neonzx wrote:

And your point is?
I guess I don't know what my point is exactly, it just seems to me that there is excessive focus on this man. As if people think that no rioting would have occurred without his actions.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

jmj wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:21 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:05 pm
jmj wrote:

And your point is?
I guess I don't know what my point is exactly, it just seems to me that there is excessive focus on this man. As if people think that no rioting would have occurred without his actions.
Cross posted:

Who here is a person of color? Or has a loved one or family member who is? My son is resigned.

"It doesn't matter Mom. Nothing is gonna change. This will die down like after Philando Castile ND nothing will change".

My heart breaks.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Law enforcement officers amassed along Lake Street near Hiawatha Avenue as fires burned after a night of unrest and protests in the death of George Floyd early Friday, May 29, 2020 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/minne ... index.html

Those police are standing just east of Hiawatha Ave. The building on fire is the MPD 3rd Precinct. The looted Target is on the left.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

BREAKING: Officer Derek Chauvin is in custody #georgefloyd
Also, NBC /MSNBC has put together a good montage of available video with some graphics and narrative to explain what was going on before and during.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Kendra wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:16 pm

BREAKING: Officer Derek Chauvin is in custody #georgefloyd
Also, NBC /MSNBC has put together a good montage of available video with some graphics and narrative to explain what was going on before and during.
Confirmed.
Brian Klaas@brianklaas
Derek Chauvin has been taken into custody after he killed George Floyd. A first step toward real justice.
Amy Klobuchar@amyklobuchar
Police officer Derek Chauvin has been arrested and is in custody for the murder of George Floyd. The first step towards justice.
1:15 PM · May 29, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My favorite Scandinavian store is up on Lake Street, just a mile west of that destroyed Target.

I needed to go to the grocery store this morning, so I drove by the nearest Target, just curious if they were open. News sources had said that most of the metro Targets would be closed until further notice. Target was open (for those who know the Twin Cities, it's the Bloomington Target at 494 & Penn Ave.). However, there was an occupied police car very visibly parked along the front of the store. I didn't drive over to the Mall of America (4 miles east of that Target), but I would not be surprised to see a number of Bloomington police cars prominently parked there too. I'm very glad that the buses and light rail lines are shut down until Monday. The Mall is on the light rail line, a straight shot from the protest area.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Volkonski wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:33 pm
Law enforcement officers amassed along Lake Street near Hiawatha Avenue as fires burned after a night of unrest and protests in the death of George Floyd early Friday, May 29, 2020 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/minne ... index.html

Those police are standing just east of Hiawatha Ave. The building on fire is the MPD 3rd Precinct. The looted Target is on the left.
If you haven’t been there, Minneapolis is a gorgeous city, with a well-educated and mostly well-meaning population. I had a conference there a few years ago, and had some leisure to stroll around and admire the lakes, the art and the parks. One of the green spaces, an enormous sculpture garden, was chock-a-block with a great diversity of races and cultures, enjoying themselves hugely, including two weddings going on. I thought to myself: “I could live here.” I ache for Minneapolis.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”