Cops Behaving Badly

neeneko

Re: Cops Behaving Badly

Post by neeneko »

RoadScholar wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:25 am
It's like they never really understood the power of Dr. King's methods. If you want change, the last thing you want is to give folks an excuse to disregard your wishes by being violent. Smart man.
On the other hand, there is debate about how effective King's methods would have been if OTHER people's more violent activism had not given him leverage and credibility. Activism can sometimes involve a lot of sheep buffers ^_^

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

It seems to follow a pattern. There are legitimate protesters who show up to lawfully express their anger and outrage. Then the idiots see the opportunity and show up to loot stores, etc. This always allows white America to point and say "See, they are all just a bunch of animals and thugs."

This plays right into the hands of the police. Now the focus has shifted away from them murdering a black man in broad daylight to the criminal behavior of criminal elements.
Exactly, TexasFilly. Well put.

New headline:

Trump-loving mayor faces furious backlash after shrugging off George Floyd killing: ‘That man died of overdose or heart attack’

Translation: "I have no idea what killed him, but it definitely wasn't that cop kneeling on his neck for 7 minutes." :evil:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

kate520

Post by kate520 »

I saw a twitter post from a “white couple” who went early to the scene of one of the protests in their neighborhood. They stood on the fringe and watched. It was not, at that point, a riot but a peaceful protest. They were confused at first by all the rubber buLlets on the ground. Some people were bruised but not bleeding. Then the cops started moving through the peaceful crowd spraying rubber bullets. The white couple were hit and moved away. The cops were inciting the riot, they claimed.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

kate520 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:54 am
I saw a twitter post from a “white couple” who went early to the scene of one of the protests in their neighborhood. They stood on the fringe and watched. It was not, at that point, a riot but a peaceful protest. They were confused at first by all the rubber buLlets on the ground. Some people were bruised but not bleeding. Then the cops started moving through the peaceful crowd spraying rubber bullets. The white couple were hit and moved away. The cops were inciting the riot, they claimed.
Yeah, I am always skeptical of the 'the protesters were throwing things!' line. It has been a pretext for violent crackdowns for decades, akin to the old south park 'look out, it's coming right for us!'. It is just something police say when they decide they have had enough of left wing protesters and want them to go away. And hey, if they riot, win.. if they simply end up being mass arrested.. win.. faking a reason to attack has been a win win for so long that they don't even need to debate it.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Mayor and Police chief presser re: last night in Minneapolis:

https://www.pscp.tv/NewsHour/1YpKkQlkovAJj

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

This guy went up to the autozone, smashed a window with a hammer and walked away. I have seen stuff like this in those trade summits like the G-20, also in Ferguson some guy threw a water bottle at the police line while everyone else was marching up and down the sidewalks.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

White. Totally obscured face, hands, hair...

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:00 pm
Someone with access to an actual respirator mask. That's a clue.

It nevertheless does not mitigate the other looting. Like I said earlier, that always hurts the cause.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

TexasFilly wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:03 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:00 pm
Someone with access to an actual respirator mask. That's a clue.

It nevertheless does not mitigate the other looting. Like I said earlier, that always hurts the cause.

It shows the cause.

jmj

Post by jmj »

I walked the four blocks to the murder site over lunch. It's active but peaceful. No police presence, but people have blocked off the intersection as a makeshift gathering place. There is a mural going up on the grocery store and lots of flowers left on the sidewalk.

Apparently I just missed Al Sharpton's visit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Turtle wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:50 pm

This guy went up to the autozone, smashed a window with a hammer and walked away. I have seen stuff like this in those trade summits like the G-20, also in Ferguson some guy threw a water bottle at the police line while everyone else was marching up and down the sidewalks.
During Ferguson, the middle aged white guys throwing stuff from the back of the crowd were usually the RCP (Revolutionary Communist Party) clowns. Happened several times.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

MSNBC
@MSNBC
·
7m
BREAKING: Minnesota governor declares state of emergency, activates the state's National Guard to respond to looting and violent protests in the Twin Cities over the death of George Floyd.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

broadcastify.com had to pulled down the dispatch feed:
Hennepin County Public Safety Dispatch
Status: Terminated due to a feed provider terms of service violation
Not surprising. On Tuesday night, one of the officers I heard mention "You know, they can still hear everything we are saying". And from a protester video from yesterday, they were announcing what was going over the police dispatch.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

They're rioting at an old shopping center in my city (Sunray Center, Maplewood, MN), across the street from 3M's international headquarters. No big deal - the shopping center has been rundown and sleazy for decades - so bad, 3M has advised its employees to avoid it for years. There's a lot of rundown low income apartments behind it, and I'm betting the rioters are coming from there. Because the bus and light rail lines are shut down, and this is suburbia.

They're shutting down stores, banks, malls, and car dealerships across the Twin Cities metro just in case. My big sister lives in an upper-income suburb to the north of me. She and her son are terrified the rioters will show up. Fat chance. Poor people don't have cars, the riots weren't organized and planned in advance, and even if public transportation was still running, inner city people would have a hard time figuring out all the transfers to make it out to the 'burbs.

Broadcastify is also streaming St. Paul Police, Fire and Public safety, covering the Midway area disturbances. And the Washington County, Maplewood, and North St. Paul Public Services stream is also covering this stuff. The St. Paul stream did have a cop advising others not to mention tactical plans on that channel - they know everyone's listening in.
I've heard this bull before.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

From one of my sisters, who lives in Chauvin's neighborhood (just a few miles northeast of Sunray)
Post on Nextdoor said SunRay has been destroyed. Hyvee and Cub closed. Protesters are marching from SunRay to here to Chauvin's house. National Guard at Helmo and 10th as that is where the stores are. Apparently Oakdale PD and Washington County Sheriff hsve been forming protective line around his house. And no news coverage as they don't want to draw more people here
Helmo and 10th is only blocks away from Sunray, it's got another strip mall and more stores across the street. Plus it's about two blocks up from Tartan High School.

This sister is scared, because Helmo is the main entry street into their neighborhood, and since it's barricaded, she fears the protesters will take to side streets and back yards to get to Chauvin's house - meaning they might have a too-close encounter. Police are advising neighbors to keep doors and windows closed to keep out tear gas.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

And The Onion nails it:

Protestors Criticized For Looting Businesses Without Forming Private Equity Firm First
https://www.theonion.com/protestors-cri ... 1843735351?

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:57 pm
And The Onion nails it:

Protestors Criticized For Looting Businesses Without Forming Private Equity Firm First
https://www.theonion.com/protestors-cri ... 1843735351?
There is more at The Onion on the same lines. Insensitive but very much on point:

Cop Explains How It Feels To Live Every Day In Fear Someone Might Record You Brutalizing A Civilian
Man Questions If It Really Necessary For Protesters To Be Black
Minneapolis Police Now Requiring Officers To Undergo Ergonomics Training To Better Protect Knees
Peaceful Protest Interrupted By Swarm Of Aggressive Black-Clad Militants (Riot Police)
Black Lives Matter Organizer Explains Movement To Older White Americans Using Sailing Metaphors To Make Them Feel More Comfortable
Police Chief Says There Just A Few Bad, Deeply Ingrained Prejudices Giving All Cops A Bad Name

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Here is the press conference with the U.S. Attorney, FBI, BCA, and the County Prosecutor. They were late by almost two hours.

What I'm seeing from everyone, even though they can't say it, is that they intend to bring charges. The facial expressions and body language, vocal tones/pauses, and tepid responses tells me that. Same goes for the press conference with the Mayor and Chief of Police from this morning.

The sidebar overriding message from both pressers was: Let us do our job and stop destroying your communities with violence. Help us if you are a witness to the events before, during, or after. We are on this as top priority, but let us build the case so we get this right. (a conviction)

Lani

Post by Lani »

I thought she indicated as best she could, given the current situation, that there would be arrests. (Also, I think there are difficult logistics involved with the arrests because the home of the murderer is being watched by protesters. Probably the homes of the other police officers, too.)

ETA to clarify.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I thought it was a weird presser, from the USA saying sorry she was late (by two hours) because they wanted to make an announcement but they couldn't make it.

Then the FBI guy directly contradicted Trump's lying tweets "At my direction, the FBI..." by revealing he got a phone call from the Police Chief in the middle of the night and that the FBI immediately started the investigation.

Finally, the DA said that there was evidence that mitigated against filing charges? but then assured the people they would "get justice."

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

TexasFilly wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:31 pm
I thought it was a weird presser, from the USA saying sorry she was late (by two hours) because they wanted to make an announcement but they couldn't make it.

Then the FBI guy directly contradicted Trump's lying tweets "At my direction, the FBI..." by revealing he got a phone call from the Police Chief in the middle of the night and that the FBI immediately started the investigation.

Finally, the DA said that there was evidence that mitigated against filing charges? but then assured the people they would "get justice."
Yes, and it was reported on Tuesday that MPD requested assistance of the FBI. Trump involved in any way? Are you kidding me?

As for the U.S. Attorney, she banged-up her cred by invoking President Trump is "monitoring" and stating she is in contact with AJ William Barr. That's not going to bring any comfort to this community. :sick:

As for the County Attorney, I think he wants a win and so if he's aware of some exculpatory evidence that offsets what we've seen, that may be his caution. He's the one who needs to win the case in the local jurisdiction, not the feds.

Right?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

The USA is considering whether to file Federal Civil Rights Violation charges. So she (or the trial lawyers) would need to try the case in federal court in Minnesota.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The rioters destroyed the Target store on Lake Street yesterday. According to the StarTribune, Target has now closed 24 Target stores in the Twin Cities until further notice. Initially it was just going to be the stores in Minneapolis, St. Paul, and the inner suburbs. Now they are closing stores in the farther suburbs.

I was going to go to my local Target tomorrow morning, guess I'll check first to make sure they're open. I just did some Google searches. There are 18 Target stores within 15 miles of my house. Two are less than 5 miles away.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I’m assuming there’ll be an autopsy to determine medical cause of death. I kept thinking how could he not have a crushed windpipe?

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”