Cops Behaving Badly

Whatever4

Re: Cops Behaving Badly

Post by Whatever4 »

From Shooting Thread:

The UPS truck hijack/jewelry store heist from yesterday.
Four people, including a UPS driver and a bystander, were killed after robbers stole the driver's truck and led police on a chase that ended in gunfire at a busy Florida intersection during rush hour, the FBI said. Both robbers were shot and killed when shots rang out at a crowded intersection in Miramar, about 20 miles north of where the incident began, FBI Special Agent in Charge George Piro said during a news conference Thursday night.

On Friday, the FBI identified the deceased suspects as Lamar Alexander, 41, and Ronnie Jerome Hill, 41, both of Miami-Dade County.

Television news helicopters showed first responders tending to at least one person who fell out of the UPS truck, moments after several shots were fired when the chase ended. CBS News correspondent David Begnaud reports the UPS driver who was killed has been identified as 27-year-old Frank Ordonez.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ups-truck- ... rker-says/

Reckless-seeming shootout in traffic.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

The all cops are bad crowd has jumped on the shooting but you can apparently see gun fire coming from the UPS truck. Should still be fully investigated regardless.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Jeffrey wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:03 pm
The all cops are bad crowd has jumped on the shooting but you can apparently see gun fire coming from the UPS truck. Should still be fully investigated regardless.
That many cops in a ring around the truck in rush hour traffic? I’m amazed more people, including cops, weren’t hit.

BTW— I’m not in the “all cops are bad crowd”. Just for clarification.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Jim

Post by Jim »

Jeffrey wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:03 pm
Like the police had any choice with all those available hostages around. They had to contain them or it could have really turned bad.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
Here's an exclusive new look at a Tulare County sheriff's deputy shooting a woman inside a suspect's Delano hotel room in June. The acquired body camera footage released as part of a federal lawsuit filed by the victim against Tulare County and sheriff's deputies. Her 4-year-old son already got a seven-figure settlement from another agency. Tulare County sheriff's deputy Rommel Verenzuela opened fire so quickly as he ran past the opening door of a hotel room, his body camera didn't even catch a view of the open door. But the shot hit its mark. A bullet hit Alexis Resendez in the abdomen, right below her heart. Deputies made her crawl to them on her injured stomach and while she waited for medical aid, she asked a critical question. "Why'd you guys shoot me?" you could hear her ask in Verenzuela's body camera video. "We heard the shots and someone opened the door, ok?" he told her. "We didn't know if it was going to be him coming out." Tulare County sheriff's deputies and Delano police went to the hotel looking for her boyfriend, Arturo Galvan, because he was a suspect in a drive-by shooting the day before.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

There’s a twist for you. :shock:

Tennessee Sheriff’s Deputy Indicted on 44 Charges, Including Rape and Stalking

Daniel Wilkey, who was charged on Tuesday with rape, extortion, stalking and assault, has previously been accused in lawsuits of false imprisonment, child molestation and forced baptism.

The charges against the deputy, Daniel Wilkey, include six counts of sexual battery; two counts of rape; and nine counts each of extortion, stalking and assault, according to court documents. Sheriff Jim Hammond of Hamilton County said in a statement on Tuesday that the indictments were connected “to incidents he was involved in while on duty in an official capacity.”

:snippity:

Ms. Riley ... described the events of that night in a lawsuit filed in September against Mr. Wilkey; a second deputy, Jacob Goforth; and the Hamilton County government.

In it, she accused Mr. Wilkey of illegally searching her car — during which he found a small amount of marijuana — and then offering not to arrest her if she would allow him to baptize her.

Ms. Riley said in the suit that she felt as if she had no choice but to agree to Mr. Wilkey’s strange demand, so she went with him to a lake, where he stripped to his underwear and brought her into the frigid, waist-deep water.

Mr. Wilkey fully submerged her in the lake with his hands on her back and her breasts while Mr. Goforth stood on a nearby boat ramp to serve as a witness to her baptism, she said.

“Wilkey held plaintiff under water for several moments, then with his hands still positioned on her back and breasts, raised plaintiff from the cold water,” Ms. Riley’s lawsuit claims. “Plaintiff was shivering uncontrollably and felt horribly violated.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/11/us/t ... &smtyp=cur

Such a godly man.
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

'No justification:' North Carolina sheriff's deputy fired after caught on video body-slamming child

https://abcnews.go.com/US/justification ... itter_abcn
A sheriff's deputy caught on security video twice body-slamming a child under the age of 12 at a North Carolina middle school was fired on Monday morning and state investigators are deciding whether to file criminal charges against him, officials said.

The deputy's termination is "effective immediately," Vance County, North Carolina, Sheriff Curtis Brame told ABC station WTVD in Durham, North Carolina.

The disturbing incident occurred on Thursday at the Vance County Middle School in Henderson, about 40 miles northeast of Durham.

"When we first saw the video ... we were shocked," Brame told ABC News. "I don't expect my deputy or any deputy, or law enforcement in North Carolina to carry out their duties in that way."
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

North Carolina sheriff's deputy charged with assault after body-slam of child caught on video

https://abcnews.go.com/US/north-carolin ... itter_abcn
On Tuesday, Durham was charged with assault on a child under the age of 12, child abuse and willful failure to discharge, which is related to his employment with the sheriff's office, which he was fired from on Monday, Mike Waters, district attorney of the 9th Judicial District in North Carolina told reporters at a news conference.

All the charges are misdemeanors, Waters said. Prosecutors were unable to charge Durham with a felony under North Carolina state law because the child did not suffer serious bodily harm in the assault, he added.

"Had the child had more severe injuries, we would be having a different discussion, but we don’t have that in this case," Waters said and mentioned during the press conference that the child was 11 years old.

The maximum punishment Durham can face is 120 days in jail, since he has no prior convictions, Waters said, adding that authorities are looking to ensure he will never serve as a law enforcement officer in the area again.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:25 pm
The maximum punishment Durham can face is 120 days in jail, since he has no prior convictions, Waters said, adding that authorities are looking to ensure he will never serve as a law enforcement officer in the area again.
Seems to me they don't give a shit if he works as a LEO anyplace else...just not around their constituents.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Sherriff’s Deputy Burglarizes Houses While Mourners Attend Funerals

This is fucking vile..
The Washington Post wrote: Authorities say that Janelle Gericke, who worked as a corrections officer at the Jefferson County Jail until July, scoured obituaries for funeral times and targeted the homes of grieving family members while they were attending memorial services.

But her colleagues began spotting her as she staked out potential victims, and, on Tuesday, the 29-year-old was charged with felony burglary.

A criminal complaint from the Wisconsin Department of Justice lists seven instances between February 2018 and June 2019 where the former deputy either successfully broke into a stranger’s home, or was spotted lurking outside houses that she had reason to believe would be empty. If her calculations turned out to be wrong, state investigators say, Gericke would quickly make up a story.
More details at the link. But Janelle, I have a message for you:
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/ ... -funerals/
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:22 pm
Update-
David Lee
@CNSDallas
·
12m
#BREAKING: Tarrant County grand jury formally indicts fired
@fortworthpd
cop #AaronDean for murder in killing of #AtatianaJefferson two months ago. She was shot through her window after he failed to ID himself responding to welfare call
@CourthouseNews

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

About time.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Corruption in a K-9 unit:
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Kansas officer resigned over alleged bogus complaint against McDonald's workers

https://abcnews.go.com/US/kansas-office ... itter_abcn
A Kansas police officer is out of a job after an internal probe showed he allegedly fabricated a complaint that employees at a McDonald's wrote an obscenity directed at him and law enforcement on a receipt for his morning cup of joe, authorities said.

The Herington Police Department officer, whose name was not released, tendered his resignation after an investigation determined he concocted the incident that made national headlines and prompted threats against McDonald's employees, officials said.

"In that investigation, we have found that McDonald's and its employees did not have anything whatsoever to do with this incident. This was completely and solely fabricated by a Herington Police officer, who is no longer employed with our agency," Herington Police Chief Brian Hornaday said during a news conference at the Junction City, Kansas, McDonald's that was wrongly accused.

"We're glad that the evidence confirmed our evaluation that the McDonald's and our employees, crew members, were absolutely not involved," Brazzi said at the joint news conference with Hornaday. "We stand with our community in being disappointed about these actions."
The officer involved claimed it was all a "joke".

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Were the people at McDonald's laughing?

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

And then police dpts wonder why they the image problems they do from a very(hopefully) few bad apples.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

A "joke" is his excuse?? :mad2:

How old is this now-former "officer"?

Fuck this guy. A lower wage worker could have lost his/her job over his "joke". I thought LE screened their people for mental health and maturity?

Keep your own house clean if you expect cooperation and respect from the general public -- the public who don't stomp around with a badge and deadly weapon on their hip.

Merry Xmas and Happy unemployed New Year, dirtbag.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

From CNN
Screenshot_20200101-070924-42.jpg
Swept under the rug, refuses to name the officer. Never expose the stains in LE. The Blue Wall of Silence.

He'll get hired by some other police force later. Happens all the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

neonzx wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:14 am
From CNN

Swept under the rug, refuses to name the officer. Never expose the stains in LE. The Blue Wall of Silence.

Not releasing the officer's name is not always the decision of the chief. If no charges were filed, or misdemeanor charges, civil service rules often bar them from identifying the employee (cop or otherwise) publicly.

The worst part of all of this, to me, is the chief coming out almost immediately to attack McDonald's and implying they had lied about having video of the incident and then having to walk that back and apologize to everyone. He should have learned long ago to keep his mouth shut until the investigation was complete. A huge blunder like that from the chief erodes the trust of the public much worse than a stupid pet trick from an officer does.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:03 am
neonzx wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:14 am
From CNN

Not releasing the officer's name is not always the decision of the chief. If no charges were filed, or misdemeanor charges, civil service rules often bar them from identifying the employee (cop or otherwise) publicly.

The worst part of all of this, to me, is the chief coming out almost immediately to attack McDonald's and implying they had lied about having video of the incident and then having to walk that back and apologize to everyone. He should have learned long ago to keep his mouth shut until the investigation was complete. A huge blunder like that from the chief erodes the trust of the public much worse than a stupid pet trick from an officer does.
All he did was reinforce the public's negative impression of that dept. Not a good idea.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:

Perhaps. But why no charges? Somebody gets popped for a blunt during a traffic stop and their ID, home address, and mugshot gets plastered on the internet and local news, before any conviction.

He committed at least two crimes thus far that the department acknowledged: 1) Making a false complaint and 2) Fabricating evidence.

Not feeling this double-standard justified.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

neonzx wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:30 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:

Perhaps. But why no charges? Somebody gets popped for a blunt during a traffic stop and their ID, home address, and mugshot gets plastered on the internet and local news, before any conviction.

He committed at least two crimes thus far that the department acknowledged: 1) Making a false complaint and 2) Fabricating evidence.

Not feeling this double-standard justified.
I'm not arguing, just clarifying. Cops are generally protected under civil service rules which is different than just some average Joe getting busted for a joint.

As for why he wasn't charged, I have no idea.

tencats

Post by tencats »

‘Try fighting this… I dare you!’ Boston police officer Christopher Curtis accused of mailing fake ticket, threatening note to driver who allegedly cut him off
January 14, 2020 | https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/01/t ... m-off.html
A Boston police officer pleaded not guilty in Suffolk Superior Court Tuesday to charges that he mailed a fake citation and a threatening letter to a motorist he says cut him off on Interstate 93, according to the Boston Globe.

Christopher Curtis is being charged with forgery, uttering a false report by a public employee, witness intimidation, misleading an investigation and unlawfully obtaining CORI in connection with the incident, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office. He is ordered to stay away from and have no contact with the victim.

Curtis allegedly sent the fake $790 ticket and the note after the encounter with the driver on March 1, 2019, the Globe reports.
Christopher Curtis is being charged with forgery, uttering a false report by a public employee, witness intimidation, misleading an investigation and unlawfully obtaining CORI in connection with the incident, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office. He is ordered to stay away from and have no contact with the victim.

“Try fighting this… I dare you!” the note read, according to the Globe. “What happens when you try and run an officers truck off the road on 93S. Hope it was worth it. See you in court.”

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Avondale Man Sues After Google Data Leads to Wrongful Arrest for Murder

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/go ... a-11426374
As it turns out, police did not know "one hundred percent, without a doubt, that his phone was at the shooting scene."

One year after his life-changing arrest, on December 13, 2019, Molina filed a $1.5 million lawsuit against the city of Avondale, the Avondale chief of police, and several Avondale police officers. Molina is suing for defamation, gross negligence, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. He is seeking compensation for the damages his wrongful arrest has caused.

According to the lawsuit, police investigating the murder knew months before they arrested Molina that the location data obtained from Google often showed him in two places at once, and that he was not the only person who drove the Honda registered under his name.

Avondale police knew almost two months before they arrested Molina that another man — his stepfather — sometimes drove Molina's white Honda. On October 25, 2018, police obtained records showing that Molina's Honda had been impounded earlier that year after Molina's stepfather was caught driving the car without a license.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

This thin-skinned legislator's bill had the potential to cause cops to behave badly. :roll:

After ‘painful’ criticism, Kentucky senator withdraws bill to expand police powers

https://www.kentucky.com/news/politics- ... 02963.html
After receiving criticism that he called “painful,” a state senator Tuesday withdrew his controversial bill that would allow police to stop people to demand identification if police think they might be about to commit a crime.

The Lexington Herald-Leader reported on the bill last week and it was greeted with concern by civil rights lawyers who say it would be an unconstitutional action that disproportionately affected minorities.

Under Senate Bill 89, if a police officer suspects someone in a public place is involved in criminal activity or is about to commit a crime, the officer could stop that person, demand his name, home address and age — as well as ask to see his driver’s license, if he has one — and tell him to explain what he is presently doing “to the satisfaction of the officer.”

Anyone who refuses to cooperate with police could be detained for up to two hours. That detention would not be considered an arrest, so the person would not have the right to call an attorney, and no official record would be made of the detention.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”