Cops Behaving Badly

Jeffrey

Re: Cops Behaving Badly

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:51 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 am
He told the guy he was going to jail for speeding before he put him in the patrol car.
I was unclear on that so I looked it up. Seems like he was arrested on Chappell's Highway near where it intersects with John J. Rushton Rd. The posted speed limit is 55, the cop claims he was doing 80.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:54 am

Jeffrey wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:51 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:32 am
He told the guy he was going to jail for speeding before he put him in the patrol car.
I was unclear on that so I looked it up. Seems like he was arrested on Chappell's Highway near where it intersects with John J. Rushton Rd. The posted speed limit is 45, the cop claims he was doing 80.
Unclear on what? Whether he could go to jail for speeding?

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:55 am

Fix that to 55, it's 45 further down.

No, I mean I would feel different about someone doing 80 in a 65 zone versus 80 in a 55.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:23 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:02 am
Three years only? Why was Epstein so concerned?
Volume, volume, volume.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

hw_wiz

Post by hw_wiz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 pm

SC deputy caught in child sex sting by ... department

The department seems to have known that the suspect was one of their own:
Lott says the meetup site was changed so Vandenham wouldn't know he was about to be arrested and the uniformed deputy arrived in his patrol car. He was immediately fired.
The next line is even better:
The sting also led to the arrest of former transportation commissioner 72-year-old John Norton Hardee.
Turns out the former transportation commissioner was sentenced the day before to 18 months probation and 45 days of house arrest for an unrelated charge. There is an expressway next to the airport named after him
https://abcnews4.com/news/crime-news/ex ... -probation

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:38 pm

I keep waiting for one of these sick fux to blame their perversions on Fluoridation and Loss of Essence.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:16 pm

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Portland police suspected Allen was involved in four bank and credit union heists, and none of the tellers reported seeing tattoos on the face of the man who robbed them, police digitally altered Allen’s mugshot.

They covered up every one of his tattoos using Photoshop.
https://t.co/eEcIHx0QPk

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:32 pm

North Carolina police officer fired for following the 'Billy Graham Rule,' lawsuit says
The officer said he was fired after he requested a religious exemption from training a female deputy, conduct he believed to be "sinful."
Aug. 23, 2019, 3:10 PM GMT+2 / Updated Aug. 23, 2019, 9:12 PM GMT+2
By Ben Kesslen

A North Carolina police officer is suing for religious discrimination after he said he was fired for refusing to spend extended time with a woman who isn’t his wife, a practice commonly known as the “Billy Graham Rule.”

Manuel Torres, 51, worked as a deputy for the Lee County Sheriff for five years when his boss asked him to train a female deputy in July 2017. Torres requested a religious accommodation, the suit alleges, saying he “holds the strong and sincere religious belief that the Holy Bible prohibits him, as a married man, from being alone for extended periods with a female who is not his wife.”

Download the NBC News app for breaking news and politics

Torres, a Baptist who serves as a deacon at his local church, said in the suit that training his colleague would leave the appearance of “sinful conduct.”

The complaint alleges after Torres made his accommodation request, the sergeant “alternately granted and denied” him and that his superiors expressed their “anger” over his religious beliefs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/no ... t-n1045706
But it is not sinful if he needs to handle female offenders for an extended period of time?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:35 pm

Where exactly is that in the Bible?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Cleveland police officer charged with trying to kidnap 12-year-old girl, then urinating on her
Prosecutors say the 34-year-old officer recorded the alleged assault on his cellphone.

Aug. 22, 2019, 1:05 AM GMT+2
By Alex Johnson

A Cleveland police officer was indicted on Wednesday on charges of attempted kidnapping and multiple counts of sexual offenses involving a 12-year-old girl, whom he urinated on at a school bus stop after she refused to get in his car, prosecutors said.

Officer Solomon T. Nhiwatiwa, 34, apparently used his own phone to record the incident, said Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael O'Malley, who called the alleged incident last Friday "impossible to comprehend."

"My office will hold him accountable and ensure that he never holds the position of police officer again," O'Malley said.

O'Malley said Nhiwatiwa, who was off duty, drove past the girl with his windows rolled down at a school bus stop on Friday and asked her whether she needed a ride.

Nhiwatiwa drove off when the girl refused, O'Malley said. But then he returned and parked his vehicle only about a minute later, approached the girl, exposed his genitals and began to urinate on her "while it appeared he was filming himself on his cellphone," O'Malley said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-cour ... l-n1045036

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:27 am

Jury awards man $50 million after he says officers beat him, locked him in closet
POSTED 10:15 PM, AUGUST 13, 2019, BY MELISSA REID

EAST CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Arnold Black of East Cleveland still relives being locked in a closet.

“I remember. I remember being in that room more than anything because I was afraid,” said Black.

Seven years ago, Black claims East Cleveland police locked him in a storage closet for four days with no toilet and nothing to eat or drink but a carton of milk.

“I didn’t know if I was ever going to come out of the room. I didn’t know anything. I banged on the door yet the whole police station ignored me,” said Black.

But a jury heard Black’s cries for justice when they awarded him $50 million Friday after he sued the city of East Cleveland for police misconduct.

“The courage it takes to go to court, testify, be cross examined by the city’s lawyers, be taunted, picked at, it takes a special person to endure all that,” said Bobby Dicello, attorney.

Black says he was wrongly arrested and beaten so severely that he suffered concussions and required brain surgery.

“They literally just kidnapped me off the streets. They never booked me; they put me in a closet until the county came and got me,” said Black.

It’s been a seven-year journey with setbacks.

https://fox8.com/2019/08/13/jury-awards ... in-closet/

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:02 pm

A Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy falsely claimed last week he was shot by a sniper at the Lancaster sheriff’s station. He’ll now be the subject of a criminal investigation, officials said late Saturday.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ities-said

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:15 am

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... misconduct
Newsletter: What a new state Supreme Court ruling means for police transparency

On Monday, the state high court decided unanimously to overturn a 2017 appeals court ruling that prevented the L.A. County sheriff from giving prosecutors the names of problem deputies, even in pending criminal cases in which those deputies were listed as potential witnesses. Per the California Supreme Court’s ruling, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and other law enforcement agencies may now alert prosecutors that a deputy who is slated to testify in a criminal case has a history of misconduct.

Prosecutors have a constitutional duty to share any evidence that could raise doubts about a defendant’s guilt (e.g., a deputy’s history of misconduct that could damage the deputy’s credibility in court) with the defense. Former L.A. County Sheriff Jim McDonnell wanted to share a list of 300 deputies who have a history of past misconduct with prosecutors, but the union representing rank-and-file deputies strongly opposed the decision and took the department to court on the matter. That same case made its way to the state Supreme Court after an appeals court ruled in favor of the union.

These lists of officers are often referred to as “Brady lists” in reference to Brady vs. Maryland, a landmark 1963 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that found that
suppression of evidence favorable to the defense violated due process. (The prosecutorial duty to inform the defense of said evidence also stems from that case.)

“Despite strong wording in the ruling reminding police and prosecutors of their duties to disclose, Monday’s decision did not require law enforcement agencies to keep lists of problem officers so they could be readily identified to prosecutors,” the story continued, explaining that trial judges will have broad discretion to decide what information in an officer’s personnel files actually gets disclosed, and some law enforcement agencies may still withhold relevant information.

[Read the full story: “California Supreme Court backs greater access to police misconduct cases” in the Los Angeles Times]

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... misconduct
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:28 am

Moar on California Brady List ruling cuz I find it interesting cuz IANACrL:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 380291.php
Calif. Supreme Court: Police can alert prosecutors about officers with misconduct in their backgrounds

By law, prosecutors throughout the country are required to share with defense attorneys information that is exculpatory, or favorable to the accused. This includes evidence that impeaches prosecution witnesses, which often include officers.

That legal concept is based on the landmark 1963 Supreme Court ruling Brady vs. Maryland, which serves as the namesake for the police department lists. To aid prosecutors in this duty, some police departments and sheriff’s offices around the state proactively send prosecutors these Brady list names.

But in Monday’s unanimous Supreme Court decision, Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye wrote that disclosing to prosecutors that an officer’s name exists on the Brady list does not violate police personnel laws.

“The prosecution may bear ultimate responsibility for ensuring that necessary disclosures are made to the defense, but that does not mean law enforcement personnel have no role to play,” Cantil-Sakauye wrote.

The chief justice stressed that the alerts themselves are not constitutionally required, “only that disclosure of Brady material is required, and that Brady alerts help to ensure satisfaction of that requirement.”
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:58 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:28 am
Moar on California Brady List ruling cuz I find it interesting cuz IANACrL
SCOCA's ruling (Assn for L.A. Deputy Sherriffs v. Super. Ct. (L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. (RPI)).)
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:05 pm

bob wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:58 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:28 am
Moar on California Brady List ruling cuz I find it interesting cuz IANACrL
SCOCA's ruling (Assn for L.A. Deputy Sherriffs v. Super. Ct. (L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. (RPI)).)
:bighug: :lovestruck:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:30 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:35 pm
Where exactly is that in the Bible?
The "Mike Pence Edition."

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:57 am

https://atlantablackstar.com/2019/09/16 ... d-windows/
Tennessee Black Man Ends Up Roughed Up, Searched, Jailed After Cops Follow Him Into Church Parking Lot Over Tinted Windows

Hamilton was parked in the parking lot of Green Street Church of God, where he is a member, when officers Nicholas Smith and Tyler Wiggers stopped him to allege his window tint was too dark, Hamilton’s attorney said in the lawsuit.

Officers also alleged that before Hamilton parked in the church he had illegally parked in the street while briefly visiting a family member and made an illegal turn, according to the lawsuit.

The officers then “grabbed [Hamilton] by his arms and jerked him back and forth,” before slamming him on the hood of his vehicle and arresting him, Hamilton’s attorney said in the lawsuit.

Hamilton was charged with improperly passing, resisting a stop, halt and frisk; and stopping, standing or parking outside a business or residential district, but the charges were later dismissed, according to the Tennessean.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:00 pm

A definite whiff of the crime of Driving While Black. :(

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”