Judges Behaving Badly

TexasFilly

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Via [link]TPM,http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... hp?ref=fpb[/link]

GA Judge Ousted For Smoking Pot, Pulling A Gun In The Courthouse

Jillian Rayfield | September 22, 2011, 11:57AM

Georgia Magistrate Judge Anthony Peters was thrown off the bench after a pattern of bizarre behavior that included pot-smoking, kicking in doors, and pulling a gun out in the courthouse and asking a fellow judge: "I am not scared. Are you all scared?"

The Georgia Supreme Court unanimously voted to oust Peters earlier this month, ruling that he should be "permanently removed from his position as a judge and barred from ever holding or seeking elected or appointed judicial office in the State of Georgia."

In June 2010 Peters made a call to a local TV talk show, and according to court documents,

"after initially trying to disguise his voice with multiple foreign accents while speaking with the Catoosa County Sheriff (who was being interviewed on the show), told the Sheriff that he had 'crapped himself' and that the Sheriff was a 'spineless jelly spine.'"

"Notwithstanding Judge Peters' personal belief that he has already received appropriate discipline, the record reveals that Judge Peters has not sought treatment for his admitted drug problems and has done nothing to show that he has any ability to live up to the high standard of conduct expected of members of the judiciary in Georgia," the court opinion says.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

A Legal Lohengrin

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:19 pm

GA Judge Ousted For Smoking Pot, Pulling A Gun In The Courthouse

Jillian Rayfield | September 22, 2011, 11:57AM

"Notwithstanding Judge Peters' personal belief that he has already received appropriate discipline, the record reveals that Judge Peters has not sought treatment for his admitted drug problems and has done nothing to show that he has any ability to live up to the high standard of conduct expected of members of the judiciary in Georgia," the court opinion says.Considering that Georgia's "high standard" involves executing quite possibly innocent people, it's hard to take that standard of conduct very seriously.

TexasFilly

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:27 pm

Considering that Georgia's "high standard" involves executing quite possibly innocent people, it's hard to take that standard of conduct very seriously.Yeah, well, if he was too nutz to be a judge in GA, he was waaaaaaaaaaay out there.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

MsDaisy

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by MsDaisy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:53 pm

For Orly this will be absolute proof positive that Judge Clay Land is corrupt and mentally off balance too. She’ll probably set her minions on the task of finding a link between them. You know, something undeniable like they both “probably” bought and sold pot to each other in the courthouse bathroom. Because of course he’d HAVE to have been stoned to sanction and rule against a famous Constitutional/Civil Rights attorney like her.

Birfers are toast

raicha

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by raicha » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:18 pm

Georgia Magistrate Judge Anthony Peters was thrown off the bench after a pattern of bizarre behavior that included pot-smoking, kicking in doors, and pulling a gun out in the courthouse and asking a fellow judge: "I am not scared. Are you all scared?"That is bizarre, considering that pot smokers have trouble getting off the couch, much less kicking in doors and brandishing guns.

ducktape

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by ducktape » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm

Georgia Magistrate Judge Anthony Peters was thrown off the bench after a pattern of bizarre behavior that included pot-smoking, kicking in doors, and pulling a gun out in the courthouse and asking a fellow judge: "I am not scared. Are you all scared?"That is bizarre, considering that pot smokers have trouble getting off the couch, much less kicking in doors and brandishing guns.I suspect he did this at a time when he was out of stash and substituting alcohol for his drug of choice.So the drug, the acidhead and the pothead are trapped in a building. They come to the exit and it's locked, with a sign that says "open at 8am tomorrow."The drunk says "let's bust down the goddamned door!"The acidhead says "let's turn into butterflies and float through the keyhole."The pothead rolls another joint, turns on his iPod, and sits down to wait until tomorrow morning.

Sterngard Friegen

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Georgia Magistrate Judge Anthony Peters was thrown off the bench after a pattern of bizarre behavior that included pot-smoking, kicking in doors, and pulling a gun out in the courthouse and asking a fellow judge: "I am not scared. Are you all scared?"That is bizarre, considering that pot smokers have trouble getting off the couch, much less kicking in doors and brandishing guns.I suspect he did this at a time when he was out of stash and substituting alcohol for his drug of choice.

So the drug, the acidhead and the pothead are trapped in a building. They come to the exit and it's locked, with a sign that says "open at 8am tomorrow."

The drunk says "let's bust down the goddamned door!"

The acidhead says "let's turn into butterflies and float through the keyhole."

The pothead rolls another joint, turns on his iPod, and sits down to wait until tomorrow morning.The meth addict Freeper has already burned down the effing building.

Highlands

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by Highlands » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:37 pm

[link]Law clerk files lawsuit against Fergus County judge alleging assault,http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/c ... z1YuMnPJ00[/link] :-? A lawsuit has been filed against Fergus County District Court Judge E. Wayne Phillips by a female law clerk who alleges that the judge slapped her in the buttocks with a legal file.Britt T. Long filed the civil lawsuit in Fergus County District Court on Sept. 12, alleging that Phillips, her boss, caused her “extreme personal stress and embarrassment, anxiety, stress, interrupted sleep, elevated blood pressure, heart palpitations, and other symptoms associated with extreme anxiety.”Long is a lawyer who has worked in the judge’s Lewistown office inside the county courthouse as a law clerk since 2008. The lawsuit alleges a civil claim of assault and seeks an unspecified amount for lost wages, medical bills and punitive damages.The lawsuit also asserts that Phillips should resign from his elected position “to remedy and prevent further instances of this and other violations of his obligations as a judge damaging to the public trust.”Above the Law [link]thinks the victim needs thicker skin,http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/lawsuit- ... cker-skin/[/link]. :-? :-? When I learned about this lawsuit out of Montana (via Morning Docket), I thought it might be from The Onion or an old episode of Ally McBeal. Reports the Billings Gazette: “A lawsuit has been filed against Fergus County District Court Judge E. Wayne Phillips by a female law clerk who alleges that the judge slapped her in the buttocks with a legal file.”If the clerk’s allegation is true, was Judge Phillips’s action inappropriate? Certainly. Was it rude? Most definitely. But should it spawn a civil lawsuit, as well as possible criminal charges? Absolutely not.

If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

dunstvangeet

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by dunstvangeet » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:07 pm

Why does the insult remind me something from a Monty Python movie?Your mother was a hampster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Adrianinflorida

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by Adrianinflorida » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:52 am

Above the Law [link]thinks the victim needs thicker skin,http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/lawsuit- ... cker-skin/[/link]. :-? :-? When I learned about this lawsuit out of Montana (via Morning Docket), I thought it might be from The Onion or an old episode of Ally McBeal. Reports the Billings Gazette: “A lawsuit has been filed against Fergus County District Court Judge E. Wayne Phillips by a female law clerk who alleges that the judge slapped her in the buttocks with a legal file.”If the clerk’s allegation is true, was Judge Phillips’s action inappropriate? Certainly. Was it rude? Most definitely. But should it spawn a civil lawsuit, as well as possible criminal charges? Absolutely not.Thank goodness the Judge didn't slap her with an illegal file

Suranis

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by Suranis » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:32 am

I can see the headlines now. "Judge slaps Long buttocks" "Buttock brief slaps Judge back." etc

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

A Legal Lohengrin

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Above the Law [link]thinks the victim needs thicker skin,http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/lawsuit- ... cker-skin/[/link]. :-? :-?Above the Law needs to familiarize itself with sexual harassment laws. This kind of behavior is completely inappropriate and, in addition to creating a hostile workplace environment, almost certainly falls afoul of the canons of judicial conduct.

Addie

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by Addie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:00 am

[/break1]talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/10/former_ok_judge_loses_pension_after_using_penis_pu.php?ref=fpc]TPMMuckraker

Former OK Judge Loses Pension Over Penis Pump

A former judge in Oklahoma has lost his pension after he was convicted of indecent exposure for using a penis pump under his robes during trials.

Donald Thompson, formerly a judge in Creek County, Oklahoma, was found guilty in 2006 of four felony counts for using the penis pump, and wound up serving 20 months in prison.

On Tuesday the state Supreme Court upheld a ruling that stripped Thompson of his $7,789 a month in pension benefits in 2006. Thompson had asked for his full benefits to be restored from his over 20 years on the bench.

The court unanimously upheld the initial ruling, by the Oklahoma Public Employees Retirement System Board of Trustees, which determined that Thompson had violated his oath of office after he was convicted.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Foggy

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:06 am

I don't even know what a penis pump is (and I don't want to know, TYVM).But if it was under his robes, how is that indecent exposure? :-?

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

mimi

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by mimi » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:36 am

I don't even know what a penis pump is (and I don't want to know, TYVM).But if it was under his robes, how is that indecent exposure? :-?“Court reporters observed the felonious exposure of Mr. Thompson’s private parts, and testified to the fact during the criminal trial. That trial resulted in conviction of felonies. Those felonies violated Mr. Thompson’s oath of office.”

realist

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by realist » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:50 am

I had the same question Foggy did... under the robes, how could it be indecent exposure.

mimi wrote...“Court reporters observed the felonious exposure of Mr. Thompson’s private parts, and testified to the fact during the criminal trial. That trial resulted in conviction of felonies. Those felonies violated Mr. Thompson’s oath of office.”That must be a very unusual courtroom layout. I've never seen one where that would be possible. Interesting anyway... sorta. :lol:

ImageX 4 ImageX36

kate520

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by kate520 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:10 am

The punishment sounds harsh. Work your ass off your whole life, screw up, wipe it all out? I do not approve.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

A Legal Lohengrin

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:10 am

I had the same question Foggy did... under the robes, how could it be indecent exposure.

mimi wrote...“Court reporters observed the felonious exposure of Mr. Thompson’s private parts, and testified to the fact during the criminal trial. That trial resulted in conviction of felonies. Those felonies violated Mr. Thompson’s oath of office.”That must be a very unusual courtroom layout. I've never seen one where that would be possible. Interesting anyway... sorta. :lol:The Smoking Gun had the [/break1]thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/pump-judge-gets-popped]docs on this back when it happened originally. The penis pump wasn't his only misdeed, just the one most people remember. I assume the court reporter was somewhere other than where court reporters are when court is in session, maybe setting up the equipment.

The report notes that two court employees saw him attach the device to his penis (during a murder trial no less) while five jurors reported hearing "whooshing" sounds as he used the device.

Whatever4

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:51 pm

Must be how Justice went blind. :mrgreen:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

kate520

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by kate520 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:53 pm

...jurors reported hearing "whooshing" sounds as he used the device :shock: =)) =)) =)) =))

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

realist

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by realist » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Must be how Justice went blind. :mrgreen: =)) =)) =))

ImageX 4 ImageX36

mimi

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by mimi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:22 pm

A Texas family law judge who was videotaped beating his cerebal-palsy-stricken daughter with a belt is being investigated today by police.Judge William Adams, who has ruled on child abuse cases throughout his career, is seen in a webcam video from 2004 beating his daughter with a belt and cursing at her for close to 10 minutes. The daughter, Hillery Adams, secretely taped the encounter, but only recently uploaded it to YouTube and the social sharing site Reddit."Judge William Adams took a belt to his own teenage daughter as punishment for using the internet to acquire music and games that were unavailable for legal purchase at the time," Hillary Adams, now 23, wrote in the text accompanying the video.Hillary Adams was 16 when the video was made, and, as a lifelong sufferer of cerebral palsy, said she had a passion for technology that her father detested. She said she received the beating for using her computer when she was forbidden from doing so.video was from 2004, but uploaded just last week. Someone posted the judges home address and people started having pizzas delivered. :-? The daughter says her dad was harassing her so she uploaded the video. she had it for seven years.more...[/break1]go.com/US/texas-judge-caught-beating-daughter-tape/story?id=14867233#.TrHAdrKwU2N]http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-judge-ca ... rHAdrKwU2N

mimi

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by mimi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:26 pm

the judge is going to be on anderson cooper (cnn) right now (after commercial).

neonzx

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by neonzx » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:35 pm

the judge is going to be on anderson cooper (cnn) right now (after commercial).Did I miss it?

mimi

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by mimi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:48 pm

the judge is going to be on anderson cooper (cnn) right now (after commercial).Did I miss it?Yeah. He wasn't a guest. It was misleading. They did show a small clip of the youtube (which is still on youtube, or was) that was pretty brutal. Then they showed a short clip of the judge saying it wasn't as bad as it looks, and that he apologized.The girl is now 24 (I think). She was 16 when youtube was made. The story is the judge has been verbally and physically abusive for years. It seems she's sorry she posted the video now though. Too much for her.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”