Amy Coney Barrett confirmed to succeed Ruth Bader Ginsburg (1933 - 2020)

bob

Amy Coney Barrett confirmed to succeed Ruth Bader Ginsburg (1933 - 2020)

Post by bob »

Justice Ginsburg has died.

Notwithstanding the Republicans' verbal gymnastics when Scalia died, presumably they will attempt to nominate and confirm her successor this year.

[This is intended to be a placeholder for related discussions.]
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
AndyinPA

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg (1933 - 2020)

Post by AndyinPA »

Not a chance they won't. :crying: :x
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Addie

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg (1933 - 2020)

Post by Addie »

RIP, RBG :(
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg (1933 - 2020), and her successor

Post by Slim Cognito »

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
ImageImageImage x4
MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Cross posted from RIP

The thought of Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell doing a high five over this makes me want to vomit, and I fucking KNOW that's exactly what they're doing! :madguy:

:kickface: :kickface: :kickface: :kickface: (NADT)
Birfers are toast
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeah:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

Very sad, but she had a long, good life. I just hope she didn't suffer.

Here's the possible future:

1. Trump nominates someone even worse than Kavanaugh (if that's even possible) so that the confirmation fight is all about Trump. That's who he is, that's what he does - he makes it all about him, and not about principles or issues.

2. Mitch McConnell immediately decides that his rule against confirming any justices in an election year is not applicable for some reason - of course, that's only the rule when you have a black president. The utter hypocrisy and banal evil of this decision help Amy McGrath kick his ass in Kentucky. :pray:

3. Whoever Trump picks will be shown to be a horrible person and a gutless toady - or else why would Trump pick him (yes, he will be a white male conservative). This will spur even more people to vote for Biden in November.

4. Susan Collins will be very concerned about whoever Trump picks, after he is found to be lower than whaleshit at the bottom of the ocean floor. But she will vote to confirm anyway, and will be thrown out by the voters in Maine.

5. And so forth ...

In other words, I wouldn't want the Notorious RBG to suffer for another day with cancer. It's sad, but I'm not sad for her, I'm sad for my country.

However, if the future develops along the lines I've described, it may work out for the decent people in this great land of ours.

More will be revealed ...
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

And now....

We are all fucked.

Rao will replace her.
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Awful terrible news!
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

fuck fuck fuck fuck
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Even more, Biden must win. And Pack the Court(s).
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill: Schumer: Ruth Bader Ginsburg seat should be filled by next president

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Friday night that the Senate should wait until next year to fill the Supreme Court seat left vacant by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death.

"The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president," Schumer said in a tweet.

Schumer's tweet comes less than an hour after news broke that Ginsburg had died Friday at 87, throwing a landmine into an already chaotic presidential election year.

Schumer's tweet is a word-for-word copy of a statement Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) released in 2016 after the election-year death of the late conservative Justice Antonin Scalia.

It also points to the looming battle over whether Senate Republicans will try to fill the seat in an election year, after leaving Scalia's seat open until 2017 when President Trump appointed and the GOP-controlled Senate confirmed Justice Neil Gorsuch.

McConnell, who is up for reelection, has vowed that he will try to fill an open seat. His office didn't immediately respond to a request for comment about Ginsburg's passing.

"If you're asking me a hypothetical ... we would fill it," McConnell told Fox News in February.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Also
The Hill: Pelosi orders Capitol flags at half-staff to honor Ginsburg
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

I'm seeing that Murkowski and Romney have indicated that they will NOT vote for a replacement until after the election.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

RBG should have retired under President Obama. I knew this would come back to haunt us. May she RIP.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
bob

Post by bob »

I suspect that, if the impeached president names a successor, it will likely be a woman. I would put Rao on the short list, but not at the top.

The goal for now, I believe, is to get four vulnerable (or decent) Republicans to committing to not to vote to confirm before the election. For the senators facing re-election, they need to believe a wait-and-see attitude is more electorally advantageous than blindly backing the impeached president.

Murkowski and Romney are two. Who are the other two? Collins? And?

Three is not good enough: McConnell can permit three defections and still rely on Pence to break a tie.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

Azastan wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:15 pm I'm seeing that Murkowski and Romney have indicated that they will NOT vote for a replacement until after the election.
Romney - I believe
Murkowski - I don’t
Colins - will do what Donnie wants when it matters.
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Yitgadal v'yitkadash sh'mei raba.

Yehey sh'mey raba mevorach l'olam u'leolamey olmaya.

[from the Kaddish, the Jewish mourner's prayer]
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

We are so screwed.
bob

Post by bob »

McConnell must have had this in his drafts folder:
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

This leaves 4 Justices who were appointed by presidents who didn’t win the popular vote. If Trump fills this one, that’s a majority.

This is so wrong.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
bob

Post by bob »

Whatever4 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:56 pm This leaves 4 Justices who were appointed by presidents who didn’t win the popular vote. If Trump fills this one, that’s a majority.
A pedantic quibble: Roberts and Alito were nominated during Dubya's second term; in 2004, he won a majority of the popular vote.
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

bob wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:02 pm
Whatever4 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:56 pm This leaves 4 Justices who were appointed by presidents who didn’t win the popular vote. If Trump fills this one, that’s a majority.
A pedantic quibble: Roberts and Alito were nominated during Dubya's second term; in 2004, he won a majority of the popular vote.
Good quibble.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Kelsey Reichmann
@KelseyReichmann
·
1h
Crowd at the Supreme Court is growing by the minute

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

This is a time to have a Twitter account, there's so much going on there.

Joe Biden @JoeBiden 2m

Ruth Bader Ginsburg stood for all of us. She was an American hero, a giant of legal doctrine, and a relentless voice in the pursuit of that highest American ideal: Equal Justice Under Law. May her memory be a blessing to all people who cherish our Constitution and its promise.

Nancy Pelosi @SpeakerPelosi 1h

Tonight, the flags are flying at half staff over the Capitol to honor the patriotism of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Every woman and girl, and therefore every family, in America has benefitted from her brilliance.

Jonathan Martin @jmartNYT

Two very smart former Senate GOP staffers both read McConnell's concluding sentence the same way - that he's not committing to a vote before the election because he knows he may only have votes in a lame duck (if then).

Jonathan Martin @jmartNYT 42m

The other issue Republicans are thinking about tonight: if they do jam through a nominee and Biden + Senate Democrats take control in January, what is the retribution?

Would they immediately end the filibuster and try to pack the court in some way?

Mike Murphy @murphymike 59m

Here’s the key nerd question: AZ Senate race is a special. Which means winner takes office immediately after 11/3 election results are certified. AZ Sec State is a D so if Kelly wins race with OK margin (he leads now) I would think cert is quick. That is big deal re: lame duck.

Mike Murphy @murphymike 45m

Lucky for D’s that AZ Sec of State is a Dem, so no political delaying of the AZ Senate election count and certification. Katie Hobbs is going to get famous...

John W. Dean @JohnWDean 2h

.@JoeBiden must announce that if the GOP rushes to pack the Court, the Dems will expand the SCOTUS to 11 justices, and expand the lower federal courts by 70 to 100 new judgeships, which have long been needed. In short, he will depoliticize the federal judiciary!

Ruth Franklin @ruth_franklin 2h

According to Jewish tradition, a person who dies on Rosh Hashanah, which began tonight, is a tzaddik, a person of great righteousness. Baruch Dayan HaEmet.

Avatar: LDIT's Post-election #FAIL record in court. And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”