Rape is the Easiest Crime to Get Away With

DejaMoo

Rape is the Easiest Crime to Get Away With

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:15 pm

An Epidemic of Disbelief: What new research reveals about sexual predators, and why police fail to catch them

Barb Bradley Hagerty@barbarabradleyh

1/ Rape is the easiest violent crime to get away with. I’ve spent nearly a year researching why for @TheAtlantic —talking with victims, police, prosecutors, and researchers. Here’s what I found.

2/ We’ve heard about the hundreds of thousands of rape kits sitting, untested, in evidence rooms. But the rape-kit scandal is just a visible symbol of a pervasive problem. Even in the #MeToo era and the age of DNA testing, police reflexively disbelieve women.

3/ By the numbers, here’s what we know:

125,000: the rough number of rapes reported each year
49: the number of cases out of 50 where the suspect goes free.
200,000: the number of untested sexual-assault kits (estimated by the federal government)

4/ Prodded by @RachelDissell at @ThePlainDealer, Cleveland launched a task force and found 7,000 untested rape kits and tested them for DNA. The kits identified hundreds of rapists who had eluded detection for years. So far, some 750 men have been indicted and 400 convicted.

5/ Here’s some startling things we’ve learned about rapists, thanks to research by @RLovell100 at @cwru. We get a lot wrong. E.g., the calculating, choosy predator is a myth. Rapists don’t profile victims. They attack anyone available.

6/ Most are generalists—criminals who steal and assault indiscriminately. Eventually, if their DNA is in the criminal database—and it often is—they get caught. Cleveland’s former prosecutor put it this way:

"These are not the Napoleons of crime," Tim McGinty told me. He paused, reflecting on the 7,000 rape kits sitting in storage in Cleveland while the perpetrators were free on the streets. "They're morons. We were letting morons beat us."

7/ But the scariest finding is the sheer number of serial rapists. Researchers found that about one in five rapes in Cleveland was committed by a serial predator. That’s 480 serial rapists in one midsize city. Think about what that means for Los Angeles or New York.

8/ That means if police believe women, and test their kits, they can stop a rapist earlier, before he assaults again. One victim—who was raped by a man whose DNA turned up in 22 rape kits—talks about all those preventable rapes. <snip>

9/ It seems like a good ROI: test a kit and catch a rapist. Everyone’s doing this, right? Nope. So in 2015 the Obama administration launched the Sexual Assault Kit Initiative, giving away millions of dollars to persuade cities and states to test kits. (link: http://bit.ly/2JvwKPP) bit.ly/2JvwKPP

10/ How have these SAKI sites done?
The good news: 41 sites launched 5,500 investigations and won 498 pleas or convictions.
The bad: 2 cities, Cleveland and Detroit, account for 38 percent of the new investigations and 82 percent of the convictions.

11/ Minneapolis shows the peril of failing to investigate in the #MeToo era—prompting a devastating series by @StarTribune.

12/ One Minnesota victim told me she knew her rapist. But police never entered his name into the database. If they had, they would have seen he was a Level 3 offender—a rapist most likely to rape again.

13/ So what’s stopping police? An abiding skepticism of women who report rape. That’s what two researchers, @beckibooks of @MichiganStateU and Cassia Spohn of @ASU, concluded after analyzing files from hundreds of rape investigations in Detroit and L.A. (link: https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/248680.pdf)

14/ They found police pursue cases involving “righteous victims”—women raped by a stranger, who fought back and were clean of drugs or alcohol. But if the victim knew the assailant, the woman “got what she got”; police spoke skeptically about “party rapes” and “buyer’s remorse.”

15/ My jaw dropped at this note by a Detroit police officer, after a teenager reported being raped by two men in an abandoned house.
In some cases, police didn't believe that sex had occurred at all. Consider this report by a Detroit detective, after a 14-year-old girl claimed she was abducted by two men and raped inside a burned-out houses. "This heffer is trippin," the detective wrote. "She was clean and smellin good, ain't no way that ship happened like she said ... The jig was up. She didn't want to talk no mo. So her mama took her to the hospital, but they got the fuck outta here." That investigation warranted two pages, which ended: "This case is closed: UTEEC." Unable to establish the elements of the crime.
16/16 The silver lining: More places are testing kits and training detectives about sexual assault. And the success in Cleveland shows that rape cases can be won and serial rapists can be caught - if police will only believe victims.
I've heard this bull before.

neonzx

Re: Rape is the Easiest Crime to Get Away With

Post by neonzx » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:26 pm

:shock:

Those facts and stats are disturbing! Is it any wonder why victims are often reluctant to report? If you experience a trauma like rape, and then law enforcement challenges your allegations and dismisses them, you are victimized all over again. :cry:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:09 pm

neonzx wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:26 pm

Those facts and stats are disturbing! Is it any wonder why victims are often reluctant to report? If you experience a trauma like rape, and then law enforcement challenges your allegations and dismisses them, you are victimized all over again. :cry:
Add to that the fact that an estimated 60-65% of rapes are never reported at all, and it looks even worse.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:28 pm

There are so many reasons why a person wouldn’t report. Maybe they’re worried about not being believed. Maybe they just want to put it behind them. Maybe reporting it would cause problems with their family or their work. It all makes me really sad.

What makes me saddest of all, though, is that I am, personally, part of the problem. I make my living picking apart the details of rape victims’ allegations. It is necessary and important work, because everyone is entitled to a fair trial, and a fair appeal. But I don’t always feel good about it.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:34 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:09 pm
neonzx wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:26 pm

Add to that the fact that an estimated 60-65% of rapes are never reported at all, and it looks even worse.
I'm one of those 60-65%. I never reported my rape. I was very young (12), was out past curfew alone and I have no idea who the guy was. Just that he was blondish with horrible breath. We were living on the Army base at the time, pre-DNA. I was also afraid my parent would be mad at me or that I did something wrong by being out late. It's taken a lot of years of therapy and self-forgiveness to overcome what happened and what I didn't do.

It is my hope that there will come a day when women (and men) are not afraid to report their assaults.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:15 pm

Sorry to say, very little of this surprises me. I was not raped, but I was sexually assaulted twice. I never told a soul about my uncle until after he died many years later. When I was dragged into the woods by a brother of a friend, I did tell friends, but not my parents or anyone in authority. When he did it again to another girl, she went to the authorities, and she knew about me so that pulled me in. I didn't think anyone would believe me either time.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:46 pm

No jail time for Iowa teen who raped 1-year-old on camera
OTTUMWA, Iowa (KTVO) - An Iowa teen accused of raping a 1-year-old girl won't do any jail time.

In July, Kraigen Grooms, 19, pleaded guilty to one county of Engaging in a Lascivious Act with a Child.

Wapello County Attorney Gary Oldenburger defended the plea deal in a statement Thursday in an effort, he said, to correct “grossly inaccurate” information being spread about the case, according to court records.

One of the most significant factors affecting the outcome of this case was that the parents of the victim did not wish Grooms to go to prison or serve significant jail time,” Oldenburger said. “Their primary concern was that he receive treatment."

Grooms received a 10-year suspended sentence and five years of supervised release.

Law enforcement officials told KTVO at that time there was videotaped evidence of the assault.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:04 am

Kentucky man cracked 8-year-old’s head, raped her
Police say a Kentucky man ruled mentally incompetent in a sexual assault has now raped and robbed an 8-year-old girl whose skull he fractured with a shovel.

News outlets report 29-year-old Cane L. Madden was arrested Saturday on charges of first-degree rape, assault and robbery. A judge declined a request to dismiss the charges Monday and entered a not guilty plea for him.

Madden was ruled mentally incompetent in February by a judge who dismissed charges the man sexually assaulted a woman and bit off part of her face in 2017.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:13 am

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:04 am
Kentucky man cracked 8-year-old’s head, raped her
Police say a Kentucky man ruled mentally incompetent in a sexual assault has now raped and robbed an 8-year-old girl whose skull he fractured with a shovel.

News outlets report 29-year-old Cane L. Madden was arrested Saturday on charges of first-degree rape, assault and robbery. A judge declined a request to dismiss the charges Monday and entered a not guilty plea for him.

Madden was ruled mentally incompetent in February by a judge who dismissed charges the man sexually assaulted a woman and bit off part of her face in 2017.
:o :shock: after mutilating someones face this guy was allowed to roam the streets freely? :doh:

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:27 am

By coincidence, I was just reading the Limerick Post, and they said that Rape Crisis Midwest (https://www.rapecrisis.ie/) had a 12% increase in calls last year with 2800 calls. 83% from women and 17% from men. 15000 hits on their website.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”