NRA Implodes- Lawsuits and Finances, Oh My!

Gregg

Re: NRA Implodes- Lawsuits and Finances, Oh My!

Post by Gregg » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:34 pm

Tarrant wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:05 am
The more of these things that come out the more and more I am amazed at how well they managed to turn the NRA into a “standard/typical” right-wing grifting organization. Nearly everybody was in on it, funneling a large percentage of the money right into their own coffers.

And the major reason it seems to be falling apart is because of various factions complaining they weren’t getting what they considered to be a large enough share of the grift, not because anyone was against the grifting.

An organization that is tacitly in favor of killing children where the most ethical person in leadership may well have been Oliver North.

Who'd a thunk it?
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:09 pm

Another one bites the dust. Der Fuhrer wants everyone to know who's in charge.

Fourth NRA board director resigns as turmoil ravages organization
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:41 am

On behalf of my constituents in Beverly Hills that sold Wayne La Pierre of the
@NRA
those expensive suits, I want to say thank you Wayne. Please come visit my district often.

Also, how is it that
@NRA
can still be a nonprofit?
The entire piece Maddow did last night is worth a watch.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:17 pm

Ted is my Congressman.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:41 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:17 pm
Ted is my Congressman.
He's a good one. I love his tweets!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Three more officials have reportedly stepped down from the National Rifle Association (NRA) amid a spending controversy that continues to roil the gun rights lobbying group.

CNN reported Tuesday that country singer Craig Morgan and NASCAR team owner Richard Childress have both resigned from the gun group's board. The outlet cited sources with knowledge of the matter.

David Lehman, the deputy executive director and general counsel at the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action, is also reportedly on the way out of the organization
https://thehill.com/homenews/458101-thr ... rsy-report

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:08 am

Ted Lieu is so funny.

Dear @NRA Board Members: Feel free to shop at exclusive shops in Beverly Hills in my district with your nonprofit money just like Wayne LaPierre. But once you've resigned and have to use your own money, call me and I will give you 20% off coupons at Macy's at Beverly Center.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:30 pm

The National Rifle Association will not be allowed to have an attorney attend an upcoming deposition of its former president, Oliver North, set to be conducted by the New York Attorney General’s Office, a state judge in Manhattan ruled Monday.

Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Melissa Crane, in both a ruling from the bench and a written decision later Monday, rejected the NRA’s request to have an attorney present for the interview.

The NRA immediately sought to appeal that decision to the Appellate Division, First Department, but Associate Justice Ellen Gesmer denied the application, according to sources familiar with the litigation.

The deposition, which is scheduled for Tuesday, is part of an investigation from New York into the NRA and its finances. Attorney General Letitia James said in April that her office was looking into claims of misconduct by the organization related to the state’s oversight of nonprofit entities.
https://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/2 ... dge-rules/
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:12 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:30 pm
The National Rifle Association will not be allowed to have an attorney attend an upcoming deposition of its former president, Oliver North, set to be conducted by the New York Attorney General’s Office, a state judge in Manhattan ruled Monday.

Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Melissa Crane, in both a ruling from the bench and a written decision later Monday, rejected the NRA’s request to have an attorney present for the interview.

The NRA immediately sought to appeal that decision to the Appellate Division, First Department, but Associate Justice Ellen Gesmer denied the application, according to sources familiar with the litigation.

The deposition, which is scheduled for Tuesday, is part of an investigation from New York into the NRA and its finances. Attorney General Letitia James said in April that her office was looking into claims of misconduct by the organization related to the state’s oversight of nonprofit entities.
https://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/2 ... dge-rules/

Well, it sounds as if it was appealed -- but just denined. Tots and pears.
Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:32 am

:confused: :confused: Lawfolk: I'm sure it's complicated :-D but is there a general rule or guideline about when somebody other than the person being deposed can attend or send an attorney to a deposition? Do parties in the action of which the deposition is a part have a general right to attend or be represented? Do non-parties have any rights?

So is the NRA's attorney's exclusion a surprise or simply normal procedure?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:46 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:32 am
:confused: :confused: Lawfolk: I'm sure it's complicated :-D but is there a general rule or guideline about when somebody other than the person being deposed can attend or send an attorney to a deposition? Do parties in the action of which the deposition is a part have a general right to attend or be represented? Do non-parties have any rights?

So is the NRA's attorney's exclusion a surprise or simply normal procedure?
In civil lawsuits, only parties may attend depositions unless agreed otherwise. The deposition of Oliver North is part of an attorney general investigation into NRA's nonprofit claim, not a lawsuit. I am not surprised the NRA couldn't participate. The IAACRL can give more details.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:05 pm

:thumbs: Thanks TRL! :bighug:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:31 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nra-l ... ar-AAGezEt
NRA loses three of its lawyers

The group dismissed its longtime outside counsel Charles Cooper, according to a source familiar with the matter.

The source also confirmed to CNN that Michael Volkov, another outside counsel, resigned Thursday as did an in-house lawyer.

CNN has reached out to Cooper and Volkov for comment.

NRA President Carolyn Meadows said in a statement in a response to CNN's request for comment: "The NRA and Wayne LaPierre chose the difficult but principled path -- while others opted for the back alleys of greed, lies and betrayal."

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:04 am

To suggest that the guy who spent hundreds of thousands of dollars of donor money on clothes, millions on jewelry and wanted that Palace on the Links house in Texas "while others opted for the back alleys of greed, lies and betrayal." is...phuck, I dunno, these waterheads are leaving me speechless now.

Its something which the English translation for is beyond my humble vocabulary.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:25 pm

I 'm not sure any language is really up to the task.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:27 pm

It's projection.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:54 am

FWIW - I saw a link to a NRA SURVEY. I put the 25 questions under the spoiler. The Question Numbers didn't copy/paste and I didn't bother fixing it here either. I did NOT answer this. I am NOT giving them my name/email info.

► Show Spoiler
https://membersurvey.nra.org/2ASurvey/S ... gLujvD_BwE
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 am

Do you support or oppose allowing military service men and women to carry firearms on U.S. military bases to guard themselves against violent criminals and radical Islamic terrorists?
Support
Oppose
No Opinion
Radical Islamic terrorists are a big problem on our military bases?
Do you support or oppose anti-gun politicians who refuse to prosecute convicted felons who illegally attempt to purchase a firearm?
Support
Oppose
No Opinion
Politicians don't prosecute anyone, and if they did, being anti-gun one would think they would be all for prosecuting them, not refusing to. And isn't the whole point of prosecuting someone because whatever they're doing is illegal?

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:41 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 am
Do you support or oppose allowing military service men and women to carry firearms on U.S. military bases to guard themselves against violent criminals and radical Islamic terrorists?
Support
Oppose
No Opinion
Those who have never served in the military have no clue of what it's like to live or work on a military base. They think installation life is an extension of how their civilian world operates.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:43 am

ZekeB wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:41 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Support
Oppose
No Opinion
Those who have never served in the military have no clue of what it's like to live or work on a military base. They think installation life is an extension of how their civilian world operates.
So not a lot of radical Islamic terrorists skulking around the parade grounds?

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:46 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:43 am
ZekeB wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:

Well when I was in the military a few of the troops were circulating an underground newspaper. I was very afraid - not.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:48 am

ZekeB wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:46 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:43 am
ZekeB wrote:

Well when I was in the military a few of the troops were circulating an underground newspaper. I was very afraid - not.
That definitely sounds worthy of legalizing concealed carry to me.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:00 am

I didn't serve in Vietnam. I have read many accounts of what it was like. When the troops came back from the field, the first thing they had to do was turn their weapons in. Now there's a place where there was a real threat and need to have a weapon. The commanders knew where the biggest threat was - it was from too many weapons combined with the need to blow off some steam. The original question eludes to the NRA's "arm everyone and there'll be no gun violence" mentality.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:39 am

Wow. That is a textbook example of poll expressly written to elicit a series of desired answers, rather than actual opinions. Note especially the question regarding the banning of assault rifles...and handguns.

I get annoyed enough with politicians (I only see the Dems) who ask meaningless feel-good "poll" questions of the "Do you support saving pupplies?" variety as a prelude to a request for bucks.

But this isn't abusing language as a play for money; this is abusing language to support a like that the country is okay with killing people.

I need to take a shower.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:49 am

I took the test, answered all the questions *incorrectly*, gave them a fake email address from a fake email generator and listed my name as Fuck The NRA.

Will anyone see it? Probably not, but I felt a lot better.
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”