DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

Addie

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting

Miami Herald - Julie K. Brown
Democrats call for full investigation of Justice Department’s deal with Jeffrey Epstein

Democratic members of Congress requested Friday that Attorney General William Barr order an investigation into his own department’s handling of the Jeffrey Epstein case, focusing on the deal Epstein received to escape meaningful punishment 10 years ago.

The lawmakers sent a letter to Attorney General Barr Friday, saying the department’s ongoing inspector general investigation should not limit itself to how the multimillionaire financier was able to wind up dead in a Manhattan jail cell while awaiting trial.

“Limiting the scope of an independent inquiry solely into his death is grossly inadequate, and would ignore the various DOJ officials who have allowed this serial pedophile to escape true justice for more than a decade,” said the letter, signed by Florida U.S. Reps. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Lois Frankel, Debbie Mucarsel-Powell and Ted Deutch, and Reps. Jackie Speier of California and Jamie Raskin of Maryland.

The main Justice Department official referenced in the letter is Alexander Acosta, who was U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Florida when Epstein was first investigated on allegations of sexually trafficking dozens of underage girls at his waterfront estate in Palm Beach.

After preparing a 53-page draft indictment that could have put away Epstein for life, Acosta shelved the charges, allowing Epstein to plead to relatively minor charges in state court in Palm Beach County and serve a short jail term.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ep ... ar-AAGuDCe
Epstein's Little-Known Lawyer Lands in Spotlight

NEW YORK—Jeffrey Epstein’s longtime lawyer has operated behind the scenes for decades. Now he finds himself in the spotlight over the scandal surrounding the disgraced financier.

:snippity:

Over the past two decades, Mr. Indyke has made open-records requests to three federal agencies on behalf of Mr. Epstein. It couldn’t be determined what kind of information Mr. Epstein was seeking or whether any was produced.

In 2013, Mr. Indyke requested records from U.S. Customs and Border Protection on behalf of Mr. Epstein. The types of records obtainable under such requests, according to the CBP website, are information pertaining to an individual’s U.S. entries and exits, apprehensions, detentions and results of background checks.

In March 2014, Mr. Indyke asked the National Security Agency for “documents, communications, memorandums, orders, agreements and/or instructions” relating to Mr. Epstein dating back to 2000. The record for the request is marked “Denial of Information” and below that “Not Closed.”

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

How old is too old ?
I was too old for Jeffrey Epstein, says socialite who dated Prince Andrew
Mark Bridge
September 2 2019, 12:01am, The Times

A British socialite and former It girl may have escaped the clutches of the billionaire sex offender Jeffrey Epstein because she was “too old”.

Lady Victoria Hervey, 42, said she was contacted by Ghislaine Maxwell, the late financier’s former girlfriend, 20 years ago, after she had been on a date with the Duke of York. Although the date came to nothing, she agreed to dine with Epstein and guests including the duke, Donald Trump and Bill Clinton, she said.

Still in her early twenties, Lady Victoria, a sister of the Marquess of Bristol, later accepted an invitation to stay at one of Epstein’s apartments in New York but fled after a week, fearing that she was being surreptitiously filmed.

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -bnvgc2t5x

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://nypost.com/2019/09/02/jeffrey-e ... t-a-trace/
The model agency boss accused of scouting young girls for pedophile pal Jeffrey Epstein has disappeared like a “ghost,” as investigators scour the globe searching for him, a new report said.

French authorities want to quiz Jean-Luc Brunel, 72, over his ties to Epstein as part of their own probe into the late financier who had a house in Paris, according to the Daily Mirror.

“He is a ghost who has disappeared without a trace,” a legal source in Paris told the paper of Brunel, who discovered some of the biggest names in modeling, including Christy Turlington and Angie Everhardt.

Investigators have made inquiries throughout the US and Europe, as well as Brazil, where the Frenchman was seen looking for girls just three months before Epstein, 66, was arrested, the paper says.

“There is no address for him, all his internet accounts, including social media, have been wiped out. He is uncontactable,” the source told the Mirror.

Brunel has long been connected to the Epstein scandal in numerous court filings.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://nypost.com/2019/09/03/john-doe- ... -pal-case/

Freaking annoying website, can't c/p much of anything. A John Doe is seeking to keep his name secret in court proceedings.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.courthousenews.com/sealed-j ... -hundreds/
MANHATTAN (CN) – Shortly before Jeffrey Epstein was found dead in federal prison, a federal court unsealed a vast trove of files implicating heads of state, elected officials and other elite figures in the wealthy financier’s sex-trafficking web. This list could radically expand should the remainder of sealed files become public, a federal judge heard Wednesday.

“There are literally hundreds of pages of investigative reports that mention hundreds of people,” said Jeffrey Pagliuca, an attorney for former Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell, at a 30-minute hearing this morning in Manhattan.
The

Giuffre claims that Epstein passed her off to powerful figures, including Britain’s Prince Andrew, Harvard professor Alan Dershowitz, New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson, financier Glenn Dubin, model scout Jean-Luc Brunel and former Senator George Mitchell. Those men have denied the allegations.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/09 ... -questions
Many secrets died with Jeffrey Epstein, the high-society pedophile, philanthropist, and financier whose inner circle included princes, a former prime minister, and a former president. But the search for answers continues in New York, where Epstein held court for years before hanging himself in federal prison. One of Epstein’s more puzzling relationships was the one he had with Glenn Dubin, the billionaire hedge fund manager, and his wife, Dr. Eva Andersson-Dubin, the founder of the Dubin Breast Center of the Tisch Cancer Institute at the Mount Sinai Medical Center. Could one of Manhattan’s most prominent power couples know more about the Epstein mystery?

The three were close, after all. Andersson-Dubin, a former Miss Sweden, dated Epstein for years before she and Dubin married in 1994. Even after Epstein’s conviction in 2008, the couple stayed in contact with the registered sex offender, inviting him to Thanksgiving dinner at their home in Palm Beach the following year. Andersson-Dubin also wrote an email to Epstein’s probation officer, asserting that she was “100% comfortable with Jeffrey Epstein around my children,” who were then all minors. Multiple sources told me last month that Epstein was the godfather to the Dubins’ three children, although a spokesman for Dubin disputed that assertion. (“The Dubins are Jewish and Jewish people do not typically do godparents,” he said.)

Epstein and Dubin had business ties as well. Epstein introduced Dubin to Jes Staley, then a senior executive at JPMorganChase & Co. and now the CEO of Barclays, the big British bank. After JPMorganChase bought control of Highbridge Capital, Dubin’s hedge fund, in stages, starting in 2004, Epstein reportedly received a $15 million fee. Dubin also directed some of Epstein’s money, for which Epstein was a fiduciary, to at least two hedge fund managers—Dan Zwirn and Joseph Kusnan—who once worked at Highbridge before starting their own firms. “Glenn Dubin introduced me to Epstein as a new manager that he was familiar with and thought highly of,” Kusnan wrote me in an email, though he and Epstein met only once, he said, and never communicated again beyond Kusnan delivering “a good rate of return on his modest investment.”

The relationship between Epstein and Dubin also ventured into more controversial realms, if one believes the depositions recently unsealed in an old court case between one of Epstein’s alleged victims, Virginia Giuffre, and Epstein’s longtime companion and alleged madam, Ghislaine Maxwell. According to Giuffre’s May 2016 deposition, Dubin was the “first” powerful person that Maxwell sent her to have sex with “after my training.” She also said that she was instructed by Maxwell to have sex with, among others, Alan Dershowitz, the Harvard Law professor; George Mitchell, the former U.S. senator; Bill Richardson, the former New Mexico governor; and Jean-Luc Brunel, a French model scout. “My whole life revolved around just pleasing these men and keeping Ghislaine and Jeffrey happy,” Giuffre said in her deposition. “[Maxwell and Epstein’s] whole entire lives revolved around sex. They call massages sex. They call modeling sex.” She said Maxwell told her to give Dubin “a massage.” (The Dubins categorically deny Giuffre’s allegations. Their spokesperson also provided evidence they say disproves Giuffre's account. Dershowitz, Mitchell, Richardson, and Brunel have also denied her allegations.)

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Kendra wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:34 pm
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/09 ... -questions
According to Giuffre’s May 2016 deposition, Dubin was the “first” powerful person that Maxwell sent her to have sex with “after my training.” She also said that she was instructed by Maxwell to have sex with, among others, Alan Dershowitz, the Harvard Law professor; George Mitchell, the former U.S. senator; Bill Richardson, the former New Mexico governor; and Jean-Luc Brunel, a French model scout. “My whole life revolved around just pleasing these men and keeping Ghislaine and Jeffrey happy,” Giuffre said in her deposition. “[Maxwell and Epstein’s] whole entire lives revolved around sex. They call massages sex. They call modeling sex.” She said Maxwell told her to give Dubin “a massage.” (The Dubins categorically deny Giuffre’s allegations. Their spokesperson also provided evidence they say disproves Giuffre's account. Dershowitz, Mitchell, Richardson, and Brunel have also denied her allegations.)
I think Epstein was probably a pretty hedonistic person, and may or may not have crossed the line with how he indulged his appetite. But when it comes to Virginia Giuffre's accounts, I'm getting a strong "McMartin Pre-School" vibe. I think a more accurate picture of Jeffrey Epstein emerges when Virginia Guiffre is removed from it.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

Somerset wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:11 pm
But when it comes to Virginia Giuffre's accounts
Her account is certainly very different from every other Epstein victim.

Among believers in the worldwide conspiracy of pedophiles, there was astoundingly little interest in the accounts of the several victims given in the NY proceeding a few days back.

They had plenty to say about Mr. Epstein and his employees who were engaged in managing them for Epstein's benefit. They had nothing to say about being procured or provided for or to other abusers.
Thanks pal.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.mvtimes.com/2019/09/05/ders ... -protests/
Alan Dershowitz presented his new book at a packed West Tisbury library amid protests condemning him for his association with his past client, Jeffrey Epstein.

Dershowitz, a high-profile lawyer and academic, spoke on his new book “Defending Israel: The Story of My Relationship with My Most Challenging Client.”

He was met at the library steps by protestors holding signs saying “Brilliant lawyers defend the victims, not the rapists,” and “14 or 15 is not the age of consent anywhere or anytime.”

A larger sign read “We stand for Jane Doe.” representing Epstein’s victims.

As Dershowitz entered, the protesters began to shout “shame.”

One woman asked Dershowitz if he thought Epstein was a terrible man, to which he replied “yes.”
Must have been horrible :violin:

Here's the video for those who can't get past the pay wall:

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.businessinsider.com/mark-ep ... now-2019-8
After Jeffrey Epstein's July 6 arrest on sex trafficking and conspiracy charges, investigators have pored over the late financier's high-profile connections and multiple properties that could be key details in the disturbing allegations of orchestrated abuse against him.

Though many of Epstein's former high-society acquaintances have distanced themselves from the case after he died by apparent suicide while awaiting trial in a Manhattan prison, his lesser-known brother Mark has emerged at the center of the questions surrounding the fate of the financier's estate.

Mark is Jeffrey's younger brother who started as an artist before pursuing numerous business ventures in their native New York City.

From scandals in higher education to a majority stake in a mysterious Manhattan apartment building, see everything that's known about the other Epstein.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Kendra wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:49 am
Business Insider wrote:
He was met at the library steps by protestors holding signs saying “Brilliant lawyers defend the victims, not the rapists.”
That right there is some high-level bullshit. I represent rapists. All. The. Time. OK, well, naturally, I’ll cop to not being particularly “brilliant.” But the notion that a lawyer should not represent guilty people is anathema to our whole system of justice where all accused, even the guilty ones, are entitled to zealous representation.

Dershowitz is an asshole, and I’m not defending him. I just really don’t like what that kind of statement says about me. I mean, am I some piece of shit because I represent the accused rather than the victim? Jeebus, I hope not.

Sorry for the rant, but this sort of stuff infuriates me.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Maybenaut wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:52 pm
Kendra wrote:
Business Insider wrote:
He was met at the library steps by protestors holding signs saying “Brilliant lawyers defend the victims, not the rapists.”
That right there is some high-level bullshit. I represent rapists. All. The. Time. OK, well, naturally, I’ll cop to not being particularly “brilliant.” But the notion that a lawyer should not represent guilty people is anathema to our whole system of justice where all accused, even the guilty ones, are entitled to zealous representation.

Dershowitz is an asshole, and I’m not defending him. I just really don’t like what that kind of statement says about me. I mean, am I some piece of shit because I represent the accused rather than the victim? Jeebus, I hope not.

Rant away, it helps to hear your viewpoint.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Maybenaut wrote:
Kendra wrote:
Business Insider wrote:

Yeah, I kinda saw that backfiring.
ImageImageImage x4

Jim

Post by Jim »

Maybenaut wrote:

Well, if it makes you feel better, I consider you the Atticus Finch of TFB. Keep up the good work. :worship:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Kendra wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:29 am
After Jeffrey Epstein's July 6 arrest on sex trafficking and conspiracy charges, investigators have pored over the late financier's high-profile connections and multiple properties that could be key details in the disturbing allegations of orchestrated abuse against him.

Though many of Epstein's former high-society acquaintances have distanced themselves from the case after he died by apparent suicide while awaiting trial in a Manhattan prison, his lesser-known brother Mark has emerged at the center of the questions surrounding the fate of the financier's estate.

Mark is Jeffrey's younger brother who started as an artist before pursuing numerous business ventures in their native New York City.

From scandals in higher education to a majority stake in a mysterious Manhattan apartment building, see everything that's known about the other Epstein.
This is a particularly poor example of a sentence. Who is orchestrating abuse charges against Jeffrey Epstein?

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... ey-epstein
How An Élite University Research Center Concealed Its Relationship with Jeffrey Epstein
New documents show that the M.I.T. Media Lab was aware of Epstein’s status as a convicted sex offender, and that Epstein directed contributions to the lab far exceeding the amounts M.I.T. has publicly admitted.
New from Ronan Farrow.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:38 pm
Kendra wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:29 am
This is a particularly poor example of a sentence. Who is orchestrating abuse charges against Jeffrey Epstein?
Don’t you hate it when folks dangle their modifiers like that? I mean, in public?

Honestly.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Regarding the Dershowitz thing, that also infuriates me, but for perhaps a different reason than the esteemed Maybenaut.

I don't think Dershowitz is actually a brilliant lawyer. :rimshot:

More seriously, I think the academy generally is going to come out of the #MeToo era looking particularly bad, which saddens me more than I can say. When you think about it, for a long time, colleges and universities have been protecting male students who sexually assault women on campus. Now it turns out that they were also coddling the same types when they grew up to be wealthy and important.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

tek

Post by tek »

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/ ... story.html
According to the e-mails, in July 2014, after Epstein made a $50,000 gift to MIT, Richard MacMillan, then a senior director for large individual domestic gifts for the university, alerted the Media Lab to the problems associated with the donation.
“Recall we are not taking gifts from him,” MacMillan wrote to Peter Cohen, who was then the Media Lab’s director of development and strategy.
Cohen responded that he had spoken to Ito and that Epstein had an account that allowed him to make small gifts anonymously.
In a July 28, 2014, e-mail exchange, Cohen relayed that Ito had told him that the recording secretary who helped the university track gifts “maintains this account and knows the drill.’’
The slime is spreading..
There's no way back
from there to here

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

The president of MIT sent this email out last night-
To the members of the MIT community,

After recent events centered on the Media Lab, I know there is a tremendous sense of pain, sadness and disappointment across campus and throughout our global community. We all want answers.

For now, I write to share two important updates.

• Last Saturday, we retained the law firm Goodwin Procter to perform a thorough investigation of the facts surrounding Jeffrey Epstein’s interactions with MIT. This work has already begun. We have asked the firm to explore all donations received by MIT, both those that came directly from Jeffrey Epstein and his associated foundations, and any donations that may have been received at the direction of Jeffrey Epstein. In addition, the investigation will cover who at MIT may have been aware of the donations. We have instructed Goodwin Procter to follow the evidence where it leads, and we are counting on this independent investigation to ascertain the facts. As I noted on Saturday, the firm will report back to me and to the Executive Committee of the MIT Corporation, MIT’s governing board.

If you have information relevant to the investigation that you would like to share with the law firm, please email MIT_Matter@GoodwinLaw.com.

To be thorough, such an investigation will take time, on the order of a month. Although media reports will continue to focus on the issues during this time, I am hopeful that the MIT community will avoid forming a final judgment before the process is complete and will respect the privacy of members of our community who may have become involved in this matter in the course of doing their jobs for MIT.

Once we have the results, and once our separate internal review of our current processes on gift acceptance is complete, we will be able to understand what happened and what needs to change.

• Supporting the members of the Media Lab must now be at the center of our attention. The Provost has asked the Dean of the School of Architecture and Planning to work with the Media Lab community on interim leadership for the lab and a search for the next director. The interim plan will be finalized shortly, and we will share the news as soon as possible, along with other plans to support the lab community.
I know this is a difficult and disorienting moment. But I have profound faith in the MIT community to learn from these events and find a constructive way forward.

Sincerely,

L. Rafael Reif
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://nypost.com/2019/09/11/jeffrey-e ... -revealed/
Newly released documents show Jeffrey Epstein’s final mugshot — and reveal that he had “suicidal tendencies” and “mental concerns” before his jailhouse suicide.

The 66-year-old convicted pedophile looks haggard and is balding in the mugshot taken in July, when he was nabbed on federal sex-trafficking conspiracy charges.

The photo is among dozens of documents released by the Department of Justice and US Marshals Service as part of a Freedom of Information Act request, according to MuckRock.com, a website that publishes FOIA requests.

A custody and detention report by the marshals shows the financier — who was listed as a self-employed banker — was deemed to have “mental concerns” and “suicidal tendencies” following his July 8 arrest.
:snippity: Meanwhile, an air traffic controller told investigators in July that she had witnessed Epstein getting off his private plane “two specific times” with girls “who appeared to be” 11 to 12 years old, according to the documents.

She noted another occasion when she saw Epstein with a different girl who looked between 16 and 18 years old.

Both sightings were sometime between June and November 2018, the filing said. :snippity:

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby »

Somerset wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:11 pm
[/quote]

I think Epstein was probably a pretty hedonistic person, and may or may not have crossed the line with how he indulged his appetite. But when it comes to Virginia Giuffre's accounts, I'm getting a strong "McMartin Pre-School" vibe. I think a more accurate picture of Jeffrey Epstein emerges when Virginia Guiffre is removed from it.
[/quote]

I find her really credible. In an abusive organization (or cult, which I think is an appropriate description, even though it was the cult of Epstein, rather than around some sort of deity) its really common for there to be two levels of victims: on one level, there are victims with limited abusive interactions ( limited in time, not in the level of abuse), and on another level, those who are brainwashed/manipulated into actually participating in their own victimization. I would put Guiffre into the latter category. Plus, her story is supported by the photo of her with Prince Andrew, and the fact that some of the people she named as people she was forced to sleep with (Bill Richardson, for example) were later confirmed as having visited Epstein. What would be the likelihood that she come up with Richardson's name off the top of her head? I doubt she had even heard of him.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:36 am
The president of MIT sent this email out last night-
To the members of the MIT community,

After recent events centered on the Media Lab, I know there is a tremendous sense of pain, sadness and disappointment across campus and throughout our global community. We all want answers.

Question: has the MIT Media Lab just been accepting donations from an unwanted source, or did they provide Epstein with something else in return? Did Epstein expect some services?

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -witnesses
French police are appealing for victims and witnesses to come forward to aid their investigation into Jeffrey Epstein and anyone else involved in the disgraced financier’s alleged sexual exploitation of women and girls, and say they have already interviewed three people who identified themselves as victims.

The police appeal published on Wednesday on Twitter provided both a phone number and an interior ministry email address for victims and witnesses to use. It said police specialists have been mobilized for the French investigation, which opened on 23 August. Police are investigating the alleged rape of minors and other possible charges linked to the Epstein case.

Three victims who have already come forward were interviewed by French investigators in August and earlier this month, the last as recently as Monday, the Paris prosecutor’s office said.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”