DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

Kendra

Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:08 pm

Most Moar about the new lawsuits, https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/ne ... ar-AAG4DKB

Ugh.

Edit, autocorrect.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:59 pm

Kendra wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:38 pm

The lawsuit by Katlyn alleges that in 2013, Epstein forced her to marry one of his associates who needed the arrangement to become a legal resident of the United States.

Presumably, she was an adult at that time, as I doubt the INS is going to seriously consider marriage to a 14 year old in a citizenship application. I'll see if I can hunt down the complaint.
Thanks pal.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:03 pm

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:59 pm
Kendra wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:38 pm

The lawsuit by Katlyn alleges that in 2013, Epstein forced her to marry one of his associates who needed the arrangement to become a legal resident of the United States.

Presumably, she was an adult at that time, as I doubt the INS is going to seriously consider marriage to a 14 year old in a citizenship application. I'll see if I can hunt down the complaint.
I am losing track of stories just out on this, but one says it was the 20 year old, and it was a female associate of Epstein she was forced to marry.

Edit to put my comment where it was supposed to be.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:27 pm

Lordy, I'm still waiting for the tapes :daydream:

just Google news for Epstein and the stories keep coming.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/ce ... 52j2c.html
A former prime minister's daughter was just the sort of social credentials Katherine Keating needed to gain entree to the inner sanctum of one of New York's richest and most controversial men.

But 24 hours after the globe-trotting 37-year-old was dragged into the scandal surrounding the dead billionaire paedophile Jeffrey Epstein, Keating's friends in Sydney were not overly surprised by her indirect association with such a controversial figure.

"She has always had a knack for getting into high-profile circles, ever since she was a young girl ... but I have to say some of those choices now appear questionable," one of Keating's oldest Sydney acquaintances said on Tuesday.

A woman bearing a striking resemblance to Keating, right down to the beauty spot on her left cheek, can be seen in a video – filmed in 2010 and published around the world on Monday – leaving the New York mansion of the now-deceased billionaire paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:58 pm

SLQ wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:04 pm
ZekeB wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:49 am
Any particular reason why he would file it in the Virgin Islands? He had to have had that will drawn up while he was in custody. Give the guy credit for planning ahead.
I was wondering that, too. :think:
I wanna know who the beneficiary of the trust is.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:54 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:58 pm
SLQ wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:04 pm
ZekeB wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:49 am
Any particular reason why he would file it in the Virgin Islands? He had to have had that will drawn up while he was in custody. Give the guy credit for planning ahead.
I was wondering that, too. :think:
I wanna know who the beneficiary of the trust is.
We may never know. Unless the SDNY is able to ferret that out and throw it into a pleading. There may be more than one beneficiary. It could even be a mundane person, like his brother.
Sekrit Stuffs!
Maybe it's Alex Acosta. It would at least make some sense over that whole deplorable chapter of the Epstein saga. Because I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why Acosta gave him that sweetheart deal.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:25 am

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ell-227632
In the days since convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein killed himself in a Manhattan jail cell, there has been a growing public outcry asking why his longtime confidante and alleged accomplice Ghislaine Maxwell has not yet been charged. Former FBI Assistant Director Frank Figliuzzi asked, “Why is she still walking around?” And after a photo (since discredited) emerged purporting to show Maxwell eating outside an In-N-Out Burger restaurant, one prominent legal analyst asked, “Why is the most wanted woman in America just walking around L.A.?”

Unfortunately, the answer is likely that law enforcement simply does not yet have sufficient evidence to ensure a conviction of Maxwell. If they had enough evidence, they would have charged her already. Getting that evidence will not be anywhere near as easy as some pundits might suggest.

The public outcry for prosecutors to quickly charge Maxwell is understandable. After all, several women, who say they were victims of Epstein, have alleged she procured underage girls for him, bragged about it, and called them “trash.” One attorney for victims alleges that Maxwell was an “active participant in the sexual abuse.” Maxwell has denied the allegations.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:31 am

https://nypost.com/2019/08/20/jeffrey-e ... n-islands/
Jeffrey Epstein is still making trouble for his alleged victims from the grave.

By filing his will in the US Virgin Islands, the pedophile added another layer of difficulty for his sex-abuse accusers to get a piece of his estate, several lawyers told The Post on Tuesday.

“He is in some way as brilliant in death as he was in life — an evil genius,” said James Marsh, a lawyer for two Epstein accusers who added that he would either hire an associate in the Virgin Islands to help him navigate the court system there or have to pass its bar exam himself.

Scores of lawsuits have been filed against Epstein, including five in Manhattan since he hanged himself in a Manhattan jail cell Aug. 10.

Nearly all of the suits will have to be refiled, since they don’t name the executors of Epstein’s will as required after his death, said a lawyer for one accuser.

The lawsuits can still continue to be filed in Manhattan, the lawyers noted — but any settlements ordered by the courts in New York would have to be doled out in the Virgin Islands, likely with the help of an attorney licensed there, they said.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:05 am

Kendra wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:31 am
https://nypost.com/2019/08/20/jeffrey-e ... n-islands/
Jeffrey Epstein is still making trouble for his alleged victims from the grave.

By filing his will in the US Virgin Islands, the pedophile added another layer of difficulty for his sex-abuse accusers to get a piece of his estate, several lawyers told The Post on Tuesday.

“He is in some way as brilliant in death as he was in life — an evil genius,” said James Marsh, a lawyer for two Epstein accusers who added that he would either hire an associate in the Virgin Islands to help him navigate the court system there or have to pass its bar exam himself.

Scores of lawsuits have been filed against Epstein, including five in Manhattan since he hanged himself in a Manhattan jail cell Aug. 10.

Nearly all of the suits will have to be refiled, since they don’t name the executors of Epstein’s will as required after his death, said a lawyer for one accuser.

The lawsuits can still continue to be filed in Manhattan, the lawyers noted — but any settlements ordered by the courts in New York would have to be doled out in the Virgin Islands, likely with the help of an attorney licensed there, they said.
I think "refiled" may be a bit misleading. FRCP 25 allows for substitution of parties when a party dies. (My state has an identical rule. It appears NY State's Rule 1015 allows for substitution of parties on death.)

So, given this apparent error in the article, I'm a little skeptical of the claim that the settlements will have to be doled out in the Virgin Islands, simply because he filed his will there. This is not my area of expertise, and I don't know VI law or NY law, but wills don't have to be filed at all, do they? If they don't have to be filed at all, why does it matter where he filed it? He was a resident of NY and if the NY court has jurisdiction, it has jurisdiction

Edit: Fix link.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:07 am

I am so grateful for the lawyers here to ask the right questions :bighug:

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:12 am

Times has an article on this and it answers some of the questions upthread. I haven't finished it, so I don't know if it addresses the venue questions regarding the U.S. VI.
Epstein named his longtime associates Darren Indyke and Richard Kahn as executors of his will. They could not immediately be reached for comment on Tuesday. Boris Nikolic, a biotech venture capitalist, was listed as a backup executor. He told Bloomberg he was “shocked” to find out he was named and said he would not fulfill the duties, if called upon.

The will does not identify any beneficiaries, but it lists his brother, Mark Epstein, as his single heir.
https://time.com/5656776/jeffrey-epstein-will-estate/

Edit: To clarify, the will doesn't identify any beneficiaries because it doesn't have to. The trust would name the beneficiaries, but it wasn't filed.
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:21 am

The Time article doesn't specifically address the questions I posed above. But it does say this:
“The bottom line is a probate court in the Virgin Islands isn’t going to allow a dime to go out of that estate—to you, to me, to the trust—until the claims are settled, so this thing is going to be tied up for years,” says Bridget Crawford, who teaches about wills, trusts and estates at Pace Law School. “We may never know who the beneficiaries of that trust are, but it doesn’t matter from the perspective of the civil claimants.”

She says even if Epstein had managed to transfer his assets to the trust in the short window of time between signing his will and dying, it would likely be ruled a “fraudulent transfer” because he was facing criminal charges at the time. “So it does not pose a significant obstacle in any way,” she says.

But if his assets had been transferred into the trust, Beyer says that would create more legal hurdles for accusers, who would need to sue to get the money set aside and put back in Epstein’s estate before they could try to claim it.

“It is only the property that he was able to successfully put into his trust prior to his death that might have obstacles put before the accusers,” Beyer says. “Anything that reached the trust legally, they have to get back out of the trust somehow before they can reach it.”
This article does raise some solid legal questions, so appears a bit more sourced. It does suggest the will would be probated in the U.S. VI, and perhaps that's correct. But since Epstein resided in NY, that doesn't make sense to me. Can a person who does not reside in a territory simply file their will there so it will be probated there?

Edit, sort of. As I was writing this, I looked to see where Epstein's private island, Little St. James, is located. It's in the U.S. VI. So I think the question on venue then becomes whether Epstein used NY or U.S. VI (or his pedophile ranch) as his residence for other purposes, like taxes.
-- Yoda

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:52 am

Ancillary probate proceedings can be started in each state in which Epstein owned property. The Virgin Islands may not be deemed the most appropriate forum for the primary probate case, either. So -- stand by. It's too early to make predictions.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:19 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:52 am
Ancillary probate proceedings can be started in each state in which Epstein owned property. The Virgin Islands may not be deemed the most appropriate forum for the primary probate case, either. So -- stand by. It's too early to make predictions.
Thanks, Sternie!
-- Yoda

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:55 pm

At least eight jail officials knew Jeffrey Epstein was not to be left alone in cell

At least eight Bureau of Prisons staffers knew that strict instructions had been given not to leave multimillionaire sex offender Jeffrey Epstein alone in his cell, yet the order was apparently ignored in the 24 hours leading up to his death, according to people familiar with the matter.

The fact that so many prison officials were aware of the directive — not just low-level correctional officers, but supervisors and managers — has alarmed investigators assessing what so far appears to be a stunning failure to follow instructions, these people said. Like others, they spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss ongoing investigations. They declined to identify the eight.

Investigators suspect that at least some of these individuals also knew Epstein had been left alone in a cell before he died, and they are working to determine the extent of such knowledge, these people said, cautioning that the apparent disregard for the instruction does not necessarily mean there was criminal conduct. The explanation, they said, could be simpler and sadder — bureaucratic incompetence spanning multiple individuals and ranks within the organization.
Oh, this is too rich not to note:
Barr said there had been some delays in the investigation “because a number of the witnesses were not cooperative. A number of them required having union representatives and lawyers.” He also said there were “serious irregularities at the center. At the same time I have seen nothing that undercuts the finding of the medical examiner that this was a suicide.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:03 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:55 pm
Oh, this is too rich not to note:
Barr said there had been some delays in the investigation “because a number of the witnesses were not cooperative. A number of them required having union representatives and lawyers.” He also said there were “serious irregularities at the center. At the same time I have seen nothing that undercuts the finding of the medical examiner that this was a suicide.”
Considering they could potentially lose their jobs (most probably will) and/or face criminal charges, you bet your boots they were told to get both union and legal representation. Somebody's gotta pay for this, and the farther down the totem pole they are, the more likely they are to be the one(s) to pay - whether they knowingly helped make Epstein's death happen or not.
I've heard this bull before.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:13 am

I think it was suicide, but is there such a thing as allowed suicide or negligent suicide? And, yeah, the little guys are going to pay. Probably searching the voter rolls to find somebody registered as a democrat. After all, the conspiracy theorists are going to target whomever gets the blame.
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:33 pm

https://www.businessinsider.com/jeffrey ... ges-2019-8

Beware 🐇 holes.

Early Tuesday morning, three women filed separate lawsuits against the estate of Jeffrey Epstein, whom federal prosecutors charged with sex trafficking just weeks before his suicide on August 10. Their allegations, which include sexual assault and coercion, closely mirror those lodged by prior accusers.

But one plaintiff, who remains anonymous, leveled a novel accusation: The wealthy financier, with the help of an unnamed attorney, forced her to enter a fraudulent marriage with another woman in his orbit.

The plaintiff, identified in legal filings as "Katlyn Doe," described the second woman as a "a non-United States citizen and recruiter of females for Jeffrey Epstein" and said their marriage was designed to ensure the woman would continue to work for Epstein in the US as part of "a complex system of individuals ... for the purpose of harming teenage girls through sexual exploitation, abuse and trafficking."

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:46 pm

https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-tr ... ref=scroll
The Russian Sleazeball Peddling Girls to Billionaires
Peter Listerman makes it his business to harvest Russian and Ukrainian beauties for the rich and powerful. We tracked him down.
:cantlook:

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Kendra wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:46 pm
https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-tr ... ref=scroll
The Russian Sleazeball Peddling Girls to Billionaires
Peter Listerman makes it his business to harvest Russian and Ukrainian beauties for the rich and powerful. We tracked him down.
:cantlook:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/peter-lis ... llionaires

That's the good Listerman link.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:18 pm

I need a shower.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:31 pm

:sick:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Oh.

On the Jeffrey Epstein investigation, as many as 20 correctional officers who work at the Metropolitan Correctional Center received grand jury subpoenas this past Friday.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:40 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/us/painting-of- ... collection
Odd and often creepy details continue to surface in the aftermath of accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein's suicide, giving a glimpse of the twisted extravagance that was a staple of his life -- right down to the art he chose to display on his walls.

The latest revelation involves a massive painting showing a young woman of indeterminate age wearing a wedding ring and cuddled up beside a roaring tiger. A photo of the artwork was taken by a contractor who worked at Epstein's sprawling New Mexico home in 2013 and provided exclusively to Fox News. The contractor requested anonymity in order to speak freely.

“It was huge – at least 5-by-5, 6-by-6 – in the main house, at the bottom of the stairs in the basement near the laundry,” the contractor told Fox News of the bizarre painting at Epstein's Zorro Ranch in Stanley, N.M. “We would talk about how creepy it was, this strange painting with nothing else around it. From the minute you got there, you felt the uneasy vibe.”

The big cat canvas is only the most recent eyebrow-raising item to emerge from the disgraced financier's art collection. Other Epstein homes were said to be adorned with everything from a massive mural of a prison yard -- with Epstein at the center -- to a framed prosthetic eyeballs, human dolls hanging from chandeliers, human-sized chessboards with scantily-clad figurines like something out of a tawdry version of "Alice In Wonderland" and photos of naked females.
Video at the link auto plays.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:53 pm

https://newrepublic.com/article/154761/ ... co-history
If there’s a secret, New Mexico will try to keep it. The Land of Enchantment has gotten a lot of practice over the years, well before the now-late Jeffrey Epstein purchased the Zorro Ranch south of Santa Fe. The world’s first nuclear weapon, code name “Gadget,” was detonated in New Mexico on July 16, 1945.* Tourists can now visit the Trinity Site on the U.S. Army’s White Sands Missile Range to view the epicenter of a highly secret government conspiracy involving top physicists called the Manhattan Project. Trinity is a 111-mile straight line from Zorro Ranch. Consider what lies within this way: Find a map. Make Epstein’s New Mexico operation the center. Put the Trinity site at the edge of its radius. What else is secret and radioactive and inside that circle? Did New Mexico’s other secrets throw off enough chaff to keep Epstein off the radar?

Last month, I went to New Mexico to see what secrets I could find within the circle. Santa Fe, 23 miles away from Zorro as the crow flies, is the oldest colonial capital city in North America, one with a twisted history. The historic center of this small city in the foothills of the Sangre De Cristo Mountains is the Plaza, an open-air park with a Haagen-Dazs at one corner. This was once a drugstore, Zook’s Pharmacy, that doubled as a base for Russian espionage; in between filling prescriptions and ringing up customers, deep cover Stalinist spies here plotted the death of Leon Trotsky and later coordinated efforts to steal the secrets of the atomic bomb from Los Alamos (distance from Zorro Ranch: 50 miles).
Still reading.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”