USA v Roger J. Stone, Jr., USDC-DC, Obstruction, False Statements, Witness Tampering

bob

Re: USA v Roger J. Stone, Jr., USDC-DC, Obstruction, False Statements, Witness Tampering

Post by bob »

Politico: Roger Stone drops appeals of felony convictions:
President Donald Trump had already commuted Stone’s sentence.

Longtime Trump confidant Roger Stone has unexpectedly dropped the appeal of his seven federal felony convictions for seeking to thwart a House investigation into ties between the Trump campaign and Russia.

Stone’s lawyers submitted a notice to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit withdrawing the appeal Monday night, about a month after President Donald Trump spared Stone a 40-month prison term and a $20,000 fine by commuting his sentence.

The court submission came less than an hour before a midnight deadline Stone’s attorneys faced to file their first brief laying out their grounds for challenging Stone’s convictions and seeking a new trial.

In a statement posted on his website, StoneColdTruth.com, Stone said he had decided there was little to be gained by pressing on with an appeal.

“It is time for me to move on with my life with my family, friends, and supporters. I regret not going forward with the appeal to fully expose all that happened, with the hope that by doing so, I could help prevent it from happening to anyone else ever again; but I had to decide based on what is best for me and my family,” Stone wrote. “The political taint that exists in the U.S. District Court in the District of Columbia, from the prosecutors to the judge to the jury pool, is so deep and abiding that the possibility of achieving a just result on the merits is as nonexistent as it was when this process played out the first time.”

A lawyer for Stone, David Schoen, said Stone concluded there was no practical benefit to pursuing the appeal.

“The nutshell reason is that Mr. Stone concluded [that] the judicial process at least insofar as his case is concerned has become too politicized for him to have any confidence that he would get a fair hearing in the court of appeals and if he did and were to win his appeal he would go right back to the same trial judge who he and his original lawyers concluded would never give him a fair trial,” Schoen told POLITICO.
In theory, Stone still could seek habeas relief for his claim of juror misconduct. But the quoted comments suggest that won't happen, as that best-case scenario still would be a second trial in the same courtroom.

And there's also risk: A new trial could happen under a new administration, one that wouldn't commute Stone's second sentence. And the judge might rule the communtation didn't apply to the second sentence. Then Stone would have to argue the commutation of the first sentence also applies to the second sentence. A reasonable argument, but one that would take time and money.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Re: USA v Roger J. Stone, Jr., USDC-DC, Obstruction, False Statements, Witness Tampering

Post by Orlylicious »

Roger tonight at Laura Loomer's victory party (from the YouTube event) --

Stone Loomer.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avatar: LDIT's Post-election #FAIL record in court. And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Roger Stone Opinion piece in InfoWars (yeah, what did you expect?)...

Why I Decided to Withdraw the Appeal of my Unjust Conviction in the Mueller Witch Hunt
On the strong advice of my attorneys and after giving the decision considerable thought, I have reluctantly decided to dismiss the appeal of what I believe to be a wrongful conviction in a trial tainted by judicial bias, egregious and blatant juror bias and misconduct and prosecutorial misconduct.

Therefore, I directed my attorneys to withdraw my appeal from the United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
:snippity:

Stone's three main points -
I Could Never Get a Fair Hearing Before this Court of Appeals, Given its Political Agenda
Winning My Appeal Would Mean a New Trial Before the Same Biased, Politically Driven Judge
I Could Not Justify Spending Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars Pursuing a Futile Appeal
:roll:
Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Poor poor widdle Woger. :violin:
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
Addie

Post by Addie »

HuffPo: Roger Stone Calls For Trump To ‘Declare Martial Law’ To Seize Power If He Loses

Trump’s ally says the president can bust Mark Zuckerberg, Tim Cook, the “Clintons” and others who oppose him.

Long-time Donald Trump confidant, and convicted felon, Roger Stone said that the president should declare “martial law” to seize power if he loses what Stone characterized as an already corrupt election.

The results will only be legitimate if the “real winner” — Trump — takes office, regardless of what the votes say, Stone declared. A loss would apparently be justification for Trump to use force to take over the nation.

Stone, who worked as an adviser in the last Trump campaign, made the astonishing statements Thursday on the InfoWars program of far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones. Both men talked of an ongoing “coup” against Trump, and Stone inexplicably claimed that he predicted “almost three decades ago that this moment would come.”

Stone appeared resigned to a Trump loss — but blamed it on the baseless claim that early voting has already been “corrupted.”

To safeguard Trump’s position, Stone called for federal authorities to seize ballots in Nevada, for FBI agents to physically block certain voters from casting their ballots, and for Trump to use his powers for widespread arrests to solidify his power, Media Matters first reported.

Under martial law and the Insurrection Act, Trump will have “the authority” to arrest Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Apple CEO Tim Cook, “the Clintons” and “anybody else who can be proven to be involved in illegal activity,” Stone said. He also called for the immediate arrest of former defense secretary James Mattis for “sedition,” apparently because he feared Trump was unfit for office, according to Washington Post journalist’s to Bob Woodward’s upcoming book, “Rage.”

In addition, Stone warned, journalist also risk arrest. “If the Daily Beast is involved in provably seditious ... acts” in a new Trump future, their “entire staff can be taken into custody and their office can be shut down.” “They want to play war, this is war,” he added.

Stone demanded that “the ballots in Nevada on election night should be seized by federal marshals” and not counted, claiming with absolutely no evidence that “they are completely corrupted.”
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

So in other words: Use the military for a coup putsch. Typical third world mentality you'd expect from a RWNJ.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
tek

Post by tek »

Stealing power when the citizenry does not want you in power never ends well.

Just sayin'
There's no way back
from there to here
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

I think we're going to find out if we're still living in the United States of America. :smoking:
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

WE LOVE THE CONSTITUTION, except when it is inconvenient.

The NESARA News blogspot used to mess up many electrons with breathless articles about how General Durnford was about to, was currently, or had already arrested Obama for treason.
SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 10 years Admin Law Judge for 4 state agencies. Retired but still available for ass kicking.

Post by SuzieC »

tek wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:15 pm Stealing power when the citizenry does not want you in power never ends well.

Just sayin'
Yeah. Look at how Mussolini ended up.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:50 pm I think we're going to find out if we're still living in the United States of America. :smoking:
Have a little faith, sir.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I am totally behind the position that if we're gonna have a violent overthrow of the government, we get to drag the Tyrant through the streets like a dog after he's finally toppled.

I mean, Mussolini is good, Qaddafi would be better.

The whole damn family, and the 30 or so top officials without whom it never would have been possible.

I'm in a really mean mood right now.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

SuzieC wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:12 pm
tek wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:15 pm Stealing power when the citizenry does not want you in power never ends well.

Just sayin'
Has anyone asked Melania how she feels about being strung up in the city plaza?
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Are there any Esso stations in the Washington, D.C. area? Perhaps someone can send a photo to Roger Stone and tell him that if Trump decides to become a dictator, well "sic semper tyrannis," to quote some old actor (quoting some fellow assassin).
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Why would they arrest Zuckerberg? That simpering asshole is presiding over one of the companies that is allowing Trump's conspiracy theories and propaganda to penetrate so deeply into the mainstream.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Sterngard Friegen wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:21 pm Are there any Esso stations in the Washington, D.C. area? Perhaps someone can send a photo to Roger Stone and tell him that if Trump decides to become a dictator, well "sic semper tyrannis," to quote some old actor (quoting some fellow assassin).
There haven't been any Esso stations in the USA since 1972.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

For the same reason that they were all against CNN when CNN was broadcasting 100% Trump during 2016. They are told that Facebook is holding back the trooth, so they are.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

ZekeB wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:49 pm
SuzieC wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:12 pm

Just sayin'
Has anyone asked Melania how she feels about being strung up in the city plaza?
Not to worry. She's already said she "doesn't care." Do you?
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Addie

Post by Addie »

NBC News: Justice Department internal watchdog is investigating Roger Stone's sentencing, say sources

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department's Office of the Inspector General has begun investigating the circumstances surrounding the sentencing recommendation for Roger Stone, a longtime friend of President Donald Trump, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

The investigation is focused on events in February, according to the two sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity, when prosecutors for Stone have said they were told to seek a lighter sentence for Stone than they had previously considered.

One of those prosecutors, Aaron Zelinsky, testified before Congress in June that he was told by the office of the U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia to recommend a lighter sentence for Stone than he otherwise would have because of Stone's close personal relationship with Trump.

Zelinsky said the U.S. Attorney, Timothy Shea, was "receiving heavy pressure from the highest levels of the Department of Justice to cut Stone a break, and that the U.S. Attorney's sentencing instructions to us were based on political considerations."
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”