Michael Avenatti

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Michael Avenatti

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Judge wants to see exhibits supporting arrest warrant in California. Expresses skepticism that Avenatti is contending he wasn't at least $15 million in debt. Discusses other open and outstanding matters (too much into the weeds to bring up here).

The judge is not happy.

Sterngard Friegen

Defense counsel asks when court will rule on expert testimony. Counsel says he wants to put on a rebuttal expert re California Bar rules if court permits government to put on an expert, but asserts Bar rules should not be a matter of expert testimony at all. Has sought to exclude. Wants to know if he needs to pay and transport Avenatti's expert.

(Too bad Ronald McDonald Rotunda is no longer available.)

Judge says it's a proper subject matter for an expert. Judge says he "shared that view" a long time ago. But judge agrees there has been no actual ruling yet.

Defers matter further to Tuesday.

Sterngard Friegen

Government clarifies (although none was needed) that it is not holding any money of Avenatti's.

Defense counsel never said government was.

Then refines position to say SDNY USA did not seize any Avenatti assets.

Sterngard Friegen

Judge then says he was aware of that, but repeats defense position that money Avenatti may be paying defense counsel may be tainted.

Government counsel raised an issue which it shouldn't have raised. Not listening carefully. Judge was.

Sterngard Friegen

Government counsel says it understands and will confer with the defense. But government says if Avenatti spends money owed to someone else that could be a crime and government doesn't want to prospectively immunize Avenatti for that.

(So the government did get it and just wasted time.)

Sterngard Friegen

Judge again expresses his concern that the arrest occurred yesterday when allegations went back to last summer and "was chock full of events which occurred" in June through August 2019.

"That's created enormous disruption, and unless the parties cooperate I really don't know when this case will be tried. . . Be practical here."

Government counsel stupidly persists. He should have shut up.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:46 pm
Judge again expresses his concern that the arrest occurred yesterday when allegations went back to last summer and "was chock full of events which occurred" in June through August 2019.

"That's created enormous disruption, and unless the parties cooperate I really don't know when this case will be tried. . . Be practical here."

Government counsel stupidly persists. He should have shut up.
Look, I've been blunt about Avenatti from the beginning, and I'm pretty sure he's going to be convicted of being a giant crook. Big surprise.

But from what I'm reading here, this arrest looks awfully suspicious and vindictive. Am I crazy for wondering if Satan Jowls (a/k/a, Bill Barr) ordered this - or suggested it - as a little bit of payback for Avenatti causing Trump so much aggravation in the past?

It also sounds like the AUSA in court is a massive idiot.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Sterngard Friegen

I agree. Avenatti was going to be in New York later this week. The California State Bar could have completed its hearing and suspended him. There was no reason to re-arrest him unless the person who did wanted some payback and some publicity. That sounds like the Trump Administration. And by doing this, Avenatti's justice in SDNY may be delayed further. If he is pauperized, it may even require the Government to start shelling out for his defense.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:53 pm
But from what I'm reading here, this arrest looks awfully suspicious and vindictive.
I'm not sure what is the usual course for a suspect who is free on bond for a variety of financial crimes, and who then embarks on a program of money laundering in order to hide assets from potential seizure. He clearly violated the terms of his release and managed to commit new crimes in the process. But I don't know what would be the result of that in the ordinary course.
Thanks pal.

Sterngard Friegen

Bingo!

I'm reading through the affidavit (actually, a "declaration") used to obtain the arrest warrant two days ago. There is an exhibit of a judgment debtor exam by Jason Frank's lawyers on March 15, 2019 in which this passage occurs. From Exhibit 8, page 353, of the Declaration of Remoun Karlous in Support of the Government's Motion for an Arrest Warrant, etc., unsealed January 15, 2019:
Q; ARE YOU A CITIZEN OF ANY COUNTRY OTHER THAN THE UNITED STATES?

A: ITALY.

Q: HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN AN ITALIAN CITIZEN?

A: I DON'T REMEMBER.

Q: WHEN DID YOU APPLY FOR THE ITALIAN PASSPORT?

Q: WHEN YOU WERE A CHILD?

A: NO. I WASN'T A CHILD.

Q: WERE YOU AN ADULT WHEN YOU APPLIED FOR THE ITALIAN PASSPORT?

A: YES.

Q: WAS IT IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS?

Turns out it was 2015. So Avenatti, who's had financial problems for many years, was setting it up so that he could go on an Italian "Holiday" almost 5 years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LtDansLegs

Post by LtDansLegs »

Ah, maybe this explains the driver. Because it definitely seemed odd to buy a 5 year old car and then pay someone to drive you around in it.
Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 12.26.34 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

This is just my opinion. Stern, anyone, care to correct me here? Avenatti is a serial liar, thief, embezzler, money launderer, pettifogging, barrotrous lawyer. He has gone through what two-three firms now ripping them off as he went? He has gotten very sizable awards for some of his clients, that he apparently hasn't forwarded to them, and no matter how busy he's been it does appear that he could possibly, legally, have in his possession the money he does, so the obvious supposition is that it IS NOT in fact his. The way things stand now I do not see how anyone could possibly consider those funds freely his. I would appear that with what past clients are owed and possible damages they could seem that there is no way any of that money can be his to spend on his defense.

He's in jail, where I think he is going to stay, so he might as well get used to it, and I think the gov't might as well accept that they will be paying for his defense since I think he is really and legally destitute at this point. Just my TCW.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sterngard Friegen

That's about right. Unless some of these lawyers are willing to work for the publicity. (As Avenatti was NOT willing to do despite his protestations to the contrary.)

Notorial Dissent

Thx.

I forgot/missed, is he not for real officially suspended now in CA. I thought I remembered reading that in something earlier this morning.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sterngard Friegen

Still active. But he will have some difficulty practicing from a jail cell. :violin:

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:39 pm
Thx.

I forgot/missed, is he not for real officially suspended now in CA. I thought I remembered reading that in something earlier this morning.
The California bar still lists him as active, with pending cases before before the Bar Court. Being in confinement may put a crimp on his ability to represent his clients, or steal from them.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Northland10 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:09 pm
Being in confinement may put a crimp on his ability to represent his clients, or steal from them.
Huh? He's surrounded with potential clients! They're probably lined up outside his cell!

:thumbs:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

Foggy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:23 pm

Huh? He's surrounded with potential clients! They're probably lined up outside his cell!

Yeah, I’m with Foggy on that. He can advise clients on the inside and have folks on the outside take care of the bills. Or trade for favors.
Thanks pal.

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:44 pm
Foggy wrote:

Yeah, I’m with Foggy on that. He can advise clients on the inside and have folks on the outside take care of the bills. Or trade for favors.
Any smart jailbird would figure out that a lawyer who is also in jail didn't get there by being smart.

Notorial Dissent

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:03 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:44 pm
Foggy wrote:

Any smart jailbird would figure out that a lawyer who is also in jail didn't get there by being smart.
They're in there in the first place, kind of argues the to the contrary.

Sterngard Friegen

Avenatti convinced other lawyers that with his good looks and trial demeanor he could best represent their clients in class action litigation before juries. So he conned other lawyers (whom he then apparently screwed). It's going to be hard to find a viable class action in jail (right now) or prison (after the Nike trial). And to represent a class you actually have to be a lawyer in good standing.

So Avenatti's career (also known as Avenatti's crime spree) is effectively over.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:15 pm
They're in there in the first place, kind of argues the to the contrary.
Avenatti certainly has solid grounds for describing himself as a criminal lawyer! :-D

I know defendants often appear in court via video link from jail/prison, but I guess it would be unusual for the defendant to appear in person before the judge while his attorney appears on the video link wearing prison scrubs.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Thank you Stern, those summaries were awesome! And I agree about Satan Jowls, Panda. Nothing is too small for this crew to be vindictive, petty and nasty, even if it's against their interests.

Dang, was just about to have Small Taitz & Avenatti ESQ DDS WTF stationary printed. (Small is Mark Small from REVOTE, now a candidate IIRC.) :P

After being so shell shocked in 2016, Stormy brought some good laughs seeing how mad Donald got. We took a tabloid view of Michael, and, of course, this is how most of these tabloid stories end. Unless redemption, but that's a hard sell these days. Many called it here, no doubt... at the time, he was just funny taking the bark off Donald's incompetent lawyers and knowing he was steaming about it. And it did remind people what a piece of trash Donald is, in his own actions. But when the the sh*t hit the fan, we were out. Like TMZ and teens, we're fickle... next!
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

I was and still am rooting for Stormy. It's too bad she hooked up with an ambulance chaser. The more of Avenatti I saw, the spookier he looked. I knew he was an opportunist when he showed up at Clear Lake with his so-called presidential bid. Stormy should have dropped him at that point. What do you do when you're drawn into a law suit and you realize that your lawyer needs the boot and you have no idea where to turn for competent counsel?
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:40 am
What do you do when you're drawn into a law suit and you realize that your lawyer needs the boot and you have no idea where to turn for competent counsel?
You join the Fogbow, of course. :towel:

(I'm still waiting and hoping for Stormy ... with her clothes on, mind you.)
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”