For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

jmj

Re: Michael Avenatti

Post by jmj »

Foggy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:20 pm
He should sue or something.
If he does, it might be the most useful court case he's ever been involved in. I don't feel sorry for him, but I do feel bad in general about deplorable conditions in jails and prisons.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

Avenatti’s cell was ‘infested with rats,’
Next on News At 11, dog kennel found full of dogs.
Thanks pal.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

It's a shame he's in jail. If he were out he could bring a lawsuit against Kimberly Clark for PPE. Of course, if he won, he'd probably keep all the masks and suits for himself.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

I'm compassionate about this, nobody should be in those conditions. There's nowhere worse than NYC to die (you wouldn't believe the horror stories of how the ME's office there treats the dead) or go to jail. And with this pandemic, I agree with those saying they need to figure out what to do -- the spread in these jails will be catastrophic if it starts to spread. Avenatti did a lot wrong and should be penalized, but he wasn't given a death sentence.
What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Sterngard Friegen

Orlylicious wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:09 pm
I'm compassionate about this, nobody should be in those conditions. There's nowhere worse than NYC to die (you wouldn't believe the horror stories of how the ME's office there treats the dead) or go to jail. And with this pandemic, I agree with those saying they need to figure out what to do -- the spread in these jails will be catastrophic if it starts to spread. Avenatti did a lot wrong and should be penalized, but he wasn't given a death sentence.
Of course you're right but (1) Avenatti shouldn't have committed crimes against Nike and Stormy Daniels in New York City and (2) he shouldn't have stolen millions of dollars from the paraplegic he represented. That was so despicable that maybe a life sentence if not the death penalty would be appropriate punishment. While he wasn't able to get as much money as Bernie Madoff, Avenatti's crimes were Madoff-class.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Agree with you Stern, but the conditions sound like they could be catastrophic. This prison issue is been late to be reported but have a feeling we're going to be hearing a lot about this. NY Times put some reporting up:
'A Storm Is Coming’: Fears of an Inmate Epidemic as the Virus Spreads in the Jails
A growing chorus of officials and public defenders in New York City are calling for the release of people who are especially vulnerable to the coronavirus. The alternative, they say, may be a public health catastrophe.
By Jan Ransom and Alan Feuer March 20, 2020

It started with a jails investigator in an office three miles from Rikers Island. Then, a correction officer at a security checkpoint near the entrance to the jail complex got it. Hours later, it was an inmate in a crowded housing unit. Within days, the investigator had died and three more correction officers and two other staff members had tested positive for the coronavirus, confirming fears that the highly contagious disease had arrived in the nation’s second-largest jail system, endangering 5,300 inmates and twice as many guards. On Thursday, the jail system’s chief physician, Ross MacDonald, took to Twitter with a warning: “A storm is coming.”
A storm is coming and I know what I’ll be doing when it claims my first patient. What will you be doing? What will you have done? We have told you who is at risk. Please let as many out as you possibly can. end.
— Ross MacDonald (@RossMacDonaldMD) March 19, 2020
He was part of a growing chorus of public defenders and officials in New York City, led by Mayor Bill de Blasio, who have been pushing for the state courts and the city’s district attorneys to release from city jails people who are especially vulnerable to the virus. The alternative, they have said, may be a public health catastrophe. Similar scenarios are playing out in jails and prisons throughout the state and across the country as correction staff members and inmates have tested positive for the virus. Two correction officers in upstate New York prisons, one correction officer in Westchester and an inmate in a Nassau County jail have been found to have the disease, as have two inmates in a federal prison in California.

Mayor de Blasio said his administration was working with prosecutors to free elderly and infirm inmates. On Friday, the district attorneys in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx said they had consented to the release of dozens of inmates, though the final decision will be up to the courts. “These are unprecedented times,” the Queens district attorney, Melinda Katz, said. “We are doing this in a truncated period of time.” Officials in major cities in California, Florida and Pennsylvania had already taken similar steps to slow the spread of the virus. But public defenders and New York City officials said the process of setting people free had been hampered by uncertainties over who could authorize their release, concerns over public safety and worries about where to send people once they were out. “For everyone’s safety, this decision cannot be rushed,” Freddi Goldstein, Mr. de Blasio’s spokeswoman, said on Thursday. “We need to determine both public health risk and public safety risk.” City officials would like to release several hundred people sent to Rikers Island for minor parole violations, near the end of their sentences or detained on low bail.

Public defenders and advocates for inmates have called for sending home all inmates with pre-existing medical conditions, those over 50 and anyone jailed for a parole violation. “It is a ticking time bomb,” said Justine Olderman, executive director of the Bronx Defenders. “We’re looking for bold action and leadership.” Dr. Robert Cohen, a member of the Board of Correction, the city agency that serves as a watchdog over the jails, said, “The most important thing we can do right now is discharge all of the people who are old and have serious medical issues — those people are likely to die from a coronavirus infection.” Seventeen percent of the city’s jail population is over 50, and a majority of that group has an underlying health condition, according to data provided by the city’s Department of Correction. City corrections officials said they had begun screening all personnel entering the jail for fevers and doing medical checks of inmates going to and from court. Visiting inmates has been suspended. Arts and education programs have been cut back. Detainees have been instructed to sleep head-to-toe, to maintain three feet of distance between them, and to not sit on each other’s beds. Even so, said Dr. Rachael Bedard, a geriatrician who works at the jail, it has been — and most likely will be — difficult to stem the spread of the virus in a place where people live in cramped and often unsanitary conditions. “The only meaningful public health intervention here is to depopulate the jails dramatically,” she said.
One staff member, who spoke anonymously for fear of retribution from the city, said that many correction officers did not have access to hand sanitizer, masks or gloves. Many of the facilities, the staff member said, were poorly ventilated and, despite the department’s public statements, some spaces remained uncleaned for days. Elias Husamudeen, the president of the Correction Officers’ Benevolent Association, said his 11,000 officers had been given only 3,000 masks. Mr. Husamudeen said the department needed to segregate new inmates coming into the jail and provide more supplies. If not, he said, “the crisis will grow worse with each passing day.” State prisons face a similar problem. So far two correction officers, including one at the Sing Sing Correctional Facility and another at the Shawangunk Correctional Facility, and a civilian employee in Albany have tested positive for the virus, state prison officials said. Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and state prison officials have declined to share details about their plans for addressing an outbreak, citing security concerns.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/nyre ... sland.html
What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Sterngard Friegen

Isn't Avenatti in the Federal lockup, not RIkers?

Let Avenatti out and the first thing he'd do would be to try to steal more money. He's a sociopath. No conscience. No remorse. Like a shark he moves forward and does only one thing. (Plus, he hasn't yet been suspended in California.)

boots

Post by boots »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:16 am
Isn't Avenatti in the Federal lockup, not RIkers?

Let Avenatti out and the first thing he'd do would be to try to steal more money. He's a sociopath. No conscience. No remorse. Like a shark he moves forward and does only one thing. (Plus, he hasn't yet been suspended in California.)
The State Bar completely disgusts me with its inability and unwillingness to shut down the worst offenders when it should.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News
@ABC
·
28m
Michael Avenatti granted temporary release from prison due to COVID-19.

https://t.co/xOTV1rJSYv?amp=1
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Sterngard Friegen

Luckily for potential clients everywhere the courts are pretty much closed.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:38 am
The courts need not be open for him to separate a client from his or her money. He still has a license to practice.

Is he back on Twitter?
Thanks pal.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:26 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:38 am
The courts need not be open for him to separate a client from his or her money. He still has a license to practice.

Is he back on Twitter?
If he's back on Twitter, he'll be going back to the lockup in short order - I saw the release order somewhere on Twitter. Dumb phone only is one of the conditions.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

boots

Post by boots »

Who would be dumb enough to to post $1 million bail for Avenatti? If there ever were a major flight risk it is him. Since people act rationally, there has to be something more to this "deal;" if I were the feds I'd be watching like a hawk.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

I'm pretty sure I read that he is required to live with a "friend" and has an ankle bracelet.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Italy may not be the flight path of choice at the moment . . .

boots

Post by boots »

SLQ wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:38 pm
I'm pretty sure I read that he is required to live with a "friend" and has an ankle bracelet.
Yes, I read that part before posting what I posted.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

Mikedunford wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:27 pm

If he's back on Twitter, he'll be going back to the lockup in short order - I saw the release order somewhere on Twitter. Dumb phone only is one of the conditions.
Oh, man. Shoot. He should have been REQUIRED to go back on Twitter.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... rus-threat

On Friday, U.S. District Judge James Selna said Avenatti may stay at the home of Jay Mannheimer, near Venice Beach, during the 90-day release period but he first must get tested for the coronavirus illness and be quarantined for 14 days at a Federal Bureau of Prisons facility. He must also post $1-million bond and wear an electronic monitoring bracelet. The judge forbade Avenatti to use any digital devices with internet access.

There's hope. Maybe he can dictate tweets to someone else.
Thanks pal.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:51 pm
Oh, man. Shoot. He should have been REQUIRED to go back on Twitter.
:snippity:
There's hope. Maybe he can dictate tweets to someone else.
I couldn't read his tweets anyway. He blocked me because I made some comment about why if somebody is such a nobody, he dm's them to tell the that. To his credit, he didn't message me before blocking me.

I am so proud of my first blocking.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

boots

Post by boots »

Looks like the State Bar of Ca will finally suspend Michael Avenatti on May 4 2020 due to his recent conviction.
https://apps.statebarcourt.ca.gov/dockets.aspx

Sterngard Friegen

boots wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:55 pm
Looks like the State Bar of Ca will finally suspend Michael Avenatti on May 4 2020 due to his recent conviction.
https://apps.statebarcourt.ca.gov/dockets.aspx
:wave:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

Until May 4, eh?

You know... I have to get some papers served on a defendant in Venice, CA sometime in the next couple of weeks. I wonder what he’d charge me?
Thanks pal.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Why is this so difficult? Is it a California thing? You pass out licenses as candy. Hello, Taitz. :? But you can't revoke them? Weird.
We are told by LE: If you see something, say something. -- I agree.
If you see something, video record it, uploaded it, and say something!

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

neonzx wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:35 pm
Why is this so difficult? Is it a California thing? You pass out licenses as candy. Hello, Taitz. :? But you can't revoke them? Weird.
Not exactly like candy... Stephen Glass couldn’t get one.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Maybenaut wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:40 am
neonzx wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:35 pm
Not exactly like candy... Stephen Glass couldn’t get one.
That's a low bar. :blink:
We are told by LE: If you see something, say something. -- I agree.
If you see something, video record it, uploaded it, and say something!

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”