Michael Avenatti

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Re: Michael Avenatti

Post by fierceredpanda »

Remember when Avenatti was our only hope to stop Donald Trump? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:41 am
Remember when Avenatti was our only hope to stop Donald Trump? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
I'm expecting a stern response in 3, 2 1.... :wink:
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Meh, it was like watching two opposing gangs fighting. I wouldn't have cared which one lost.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:55 am
fierceredpanda wrote:
Meh, it was like watching two opposing gangs fighting. I wouldn't have cared which one lost.
:thumbs:

Foggy
Occupation: Hayseed from North Cackilacki, Space Cadet, and your benevolent Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:34 pm
If only I could get over my sense of envy.
Yeah, I can see how that would be a problem. :blink:
We don't know what we don't know.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Ah, Michael Avenatti being arrested, now that's a picture I can comfortably carry in my mind.

I suppose that is one way to get out of a Bar Hearing, wonder how it went after he left?
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Poor Michael. He's so understood.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:51 am
I suppose that is one way to get out of a Bar Hearing, wonder how it went after he left?
That's a great question.

I guess they had to adjourn since he has good cause for not appearing.
Thanks pal.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:18 am
Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:51 am
That's a great question.

I guess they had to adjourn since he has good cause for not appearing.
The purpose of this Bar hearing was to suspend him prior to disciplinary action so that he couldn't harm any more clients. Having him incarcerated -- and then on trial in SDNY -- should have the same effect. He will almost certainly be convicted of extorting Nike in New York and possibly immediately taken into custody (assuming he's released from custody here in L.A.). But I didn't see where the Bar proceedings were actually suspended.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1217 ... reshed=yes

EminentHat @Popehat

Avenatti arrested AND conflict between SDNY and CDCA prosecutors

Livetweeting Avenatti courtcall. AUSAs and defense lawyers announce themselves. Judge: 'I assume you're waiving Mr. Avenatti's presence for the purposes of this call." lol

Judge: I got a letter late last night saying he was arrested for violations of release. Defense seeks delay of deadlines for certain documents due. Government, can you tell us the circumstances leading to arrest and expectations of proceedings?

AUSA: have just docketed a letter about this. SDNY learned only late Tuesday afternoon that CDCA got an arrest warrant for pretrial release violations.

AUSA: We now have the documents from CDCA. Allegation is that Avenatti engaged in fraud, structuring, money laundering, and other financial crimes while on release. SDNY had no role in investigating and seeking warrant. [Sounds annoyed.]

AUSA: Avenatti will appear at 11 Pacific and CDCA will seek to have him detained. We're talking to SDNY defense about what this will do to our trial, and looked into having Avenatti brought in custody here to SDNY. We think we have the ability to get him here quickly.

Judge: What does getting him here immediately mean?

AUSA: Like 24 to 48 hours. But we don't know yet if he will remain in custody.

Avenatti's defense counsel: We're still in limbo, don't know what's going on. But the arrest impacts our ability to get ready for trial. The CDCA allegations involve financial allegations, and we have to make commitment to experts, vendors, etc. that might now be impossible.

Avenatti's attorney: I have no funds in my account to pay vendors and experts, so in light of these CDCA allegations, I don't know how these defense functions can be paid for. "I can't really function at this point without knowing."

Avenatti's attorney: apparently allegations are he received funds in May and transferring it, and I can't advise client about spending on trial issues if each new expenditure can be a crime. I need more clarity about what's going on. Requests continuance for minimum 1 week.

Aside: this poor bastard, I feel for him.

Judge: arrest of Avenatti this close to trial has thrown trial into chaos. We had 120 potential jurors scheduled. I had issued 5 opinions in last few weeks. We've been working hard to resolve issues. [Judge sounds seriously vexed.]

Judge: He's been on bail a long time and questions in my mind why it was necessary to raise allegations of bail violations so close to trial, and it's put defense counsel in difficult position.

AUSA: Share your concerns. We were prepared to proceed to trial. [Everyone is mad at CDCA. EVERYONE.] We're not trying to rush defense if they're not able. But this is premature until we know if he's detained or not. Hard to say what effect this will have going forward.

Judge: maybe we will have another call today at 4. Avenatti has rights to be present on substantive hearings and calls.

Judge: Arrest of Avenatti is EXTREMELY disruptive and I want to make sure it doesn't disrupt his defense attorneys' ability to confer with him and prepare. We will confer again by phone at 4 EST.

Call ends. Bottom line: Avenatti's relationship with SDNY attorneys seriously disrupted, trial disrupted, everyone in SDNY pissed at CDCA.

CDCA: While on bond Avenatti has engaged in a scheme to defraud his creditors through mail fraud, wire fraud, structuring, concealing his assets in violation of federal, CA, and WA (?) law.

CDCA: Avenatti concealed a $1M payment in May 2019, bought cashiers checks and then redeposited them and then repeated to make funds unavailable, made sub-$10,000 cash deposits to structure transactions.
lolllllllllllllllllll
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter »

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:55 am
fierceredpanda wrote:
Did anyone actually not see through him from the beginning? I'm taking a class at UCLA Extension, in the bldg. next to the Law School, so although I'm definitely not a lawyer, but maybe it rubbed off on me a bit, and must say: I never thought he was much of a lawyer. He seemed so ridiculous on TV.

Sterngard Friegen

My very first post on Avenatti in early 2018, in response to a TexasFilly post, was that I wasn't all that impressed by him.

Well, I've changed my mind. I am now very impressed. But not in the way I meant before. He is a serial criminal who can't stop committing frauds and stealing money even while he is on triple bail, and while State Bar proceedings are also going on. This man is seriously evil. He's a very impressive criminal.

Foggy
Occupation: Hayseed from North Cackilacki, Space Cadet, and your benevolent Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I'm more impressed by criminals who get away with all their crimes.

Which reminds me, do you know I was never even arrested? :thankyou:
We don't know what we don't know.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Foggy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:44 pm
Which reminds me, do you know I was never even arrested? :thankyou:
What!!!? It's nearly 10 years since you perpetrated the Madisonville Hoax and you are still walking free? Walter may need to send another angry pants letter to the DOJ and the dog.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

ObjectiveDoubter wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:41 am
Did anyone actually not see through him from the beginning?
Go back and read some of the old posts here on this thread, on the Michael Cohen threads, and the Stormy Daniels thread, among others. Sterngard, MikeD, and I will be right here when you get back. All I will say is that our collective skepticism of Avenatti received a somewhat less-than-enthusiastic response at the time. I seem to recall Stern taking a bit of a break from this here forum as a result. Not that I intend to recriminate or open old wounds. I'm sure everyone else here shares my elation that Sterngard is back. But to say that everyone saw through him from the beginning isn't a remotely accurate statement with regard to the Fogbow, let alone the outside world. Lawrence O'Donnell - for whom I have a great deal of respect - was so taken with Avenatti that he was practically a nightly fixture on O'Donnell's show 18 months back or so.

A lot of people fell for the flashy, Brioni-wearing, big-talking thing, I guess.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:08 pm
ObjectiveDoubter wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:41 am
Did anyone actually not see through him from the beginning?
Go back and read some of the old posts here on this thread, on the Michael Cohen threads, and the Stormy Daniels thread, among others. Sterngard, MikeD, and I will be right here when you get back. All I will say is that our collective skepticism of Avenatti received a somewhat less-than-enthusiastic response at the time. I seem to recall Stern taking a bit of a break from this here forum as a result. Not that I intend to recriminate or open old wounds. I'm sure everyone else here shares my elation that Sterngard is back. But to say that everyone saw through him from the beginning isn't a remotely accurate statement with regard to the Fogbow, let alone the outside world. Lawrence O'Donnell - for whom I have a great deal of respect - was so taken with Avenatti that he was practically a nightly fixture on O'Donnell's show 18 months back or so.

A lot of people fell for the flashy, Brioni-wearing, big-talking thing, I guess.
Or they were withholding criticism until more facts were in evidence . . . it doesn't mean they were Avenatti believers. Yes, why revisit this? For pats on the back?
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:08 pm
:oops:
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

LtDansLegs

Post by LtDansLegs »

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 1.59.44 PM copy.jpg
Gold... :lol:

From this thread:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:03 am
The purpose of this Bar hearing was to suspend him prior to disciplinary action so that he couldn't harm any more clients. Having him incarcerated -- and then on trial in SDNY -- should have the same effect.
Betcha he start up a law practice in prison and ends up absconding with his clients' commissary account money.
Thanks pal.

boots

Post by boots »

I unfortunately know of some local (meaning SoCal) attorneys who are fighting State Bar issues and am surprised to learn that some of them actually look up to this guy for his rantings against the State Bar. One local attorney posts his stories to her Facebook page, with verbiage to the effect of "see, the Bar is bad and here's proof" which I assume is an attempt to deflect from her own professional malfeasance which has caused a license suspension. Said attorney also has recently run for public office.

Sterngard Friegen

I'm an ear on the phone for the New York telephonic hearing to which the public has been invited. The judge is trying to figure out if Avenatti's arrest (and detention) in California will affect the trial date of the Nike extortion case in New York.

Sterngard Friegen

Government counsel assure judge they'll get Avenatti there in time for jury selection.

Defense counsel says Avenatti doesn't have funds, they may need an indigency hearing, and the trial date should be continued

Government opposes request.

Sterngard Friegen

Government argues no money was seized from Avenatti, and doesn't understand how the arrest of Avenatti is relevant to concerns re indigency.

Sterngard Friegen

Avenatti's lawyer responds: Avenatti's arrest "radically change[d] the circumstances." A California case dealing with money and its use has given rise to criminal charges. Under those circumstances defense counsel are very very reluctant to use that money to defend Avenatti in SDNY. "As a lawyer you're walking on very thin ice here." Ditto vendors being concerned.

Want assurances from Government Avenatti can use the money and government won't seek forfeiture.

Another Avenatti lawyer (first name Scott) says they need to have a conference with Avenatti re his ability to fund the defense. "Until we have a conversation with him we have no way of knowing." Conversation would occur in New York as soon as Avenatti is brought to New York. (Responding to judge's question.)

Sterngard Friegen

Judge thinks first step is for defense counsel to speak to their client, then speak with government lawyers to see if comfort can be given re use of funds for trial preparation.

And we'll take stock of where we are after that.

Trial date will have to be continued.

Next Tuesday at 10 am will be a status conference, not the start of trial.

5:30 conference later today off calendar. Ditto Friday 2:00 conference.

Court says it is reluctant to move trial date beyond January 27, 2020.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”