Michael Avenatti

LtDansLegs

Re: Michael Avenatti

Post by LtDansLegs » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Here are the above-mentioned Avenatti docs linked from my server, text-searchable. Thanks to Stern for supplying, let me know if titles should be corrected, I just named them according to the tilting on the first page but some have multiple attachments.

SBC-19-TE-30259-1 STATEMENT OF THE PROPOSED TESTIMONY OF RESPONDENT

SBC-19-TE-30259-2 SUPPLEMENTAL DECLARATION OF GREGORY BARELA, OTHERS

SBC-19-TE-30259-3 MOTION FOR CONTINUANCE OF TRIAL DATE

Interesting argument...."sure, we'll give you copies of your data for you to reference if you tell us the passwords first"
Screen-Shot-2019-07-13-at-12.12.00-PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whip

Post by Whip » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:59 pm

I'm sure he thinks not coughing them up is how he'll be vindicated. that or I foresee a trip to Mexico.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:29 pm

Question for the legal types.

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that this is not a ploy to delay the proceedings because he access to all his records as they were saved on various external servers (iCloud, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.), what might be the legal issues and possible resolutions with his request? Providing the government with the passwords to access his needed files would give them access to all files including possibly files that provide evidence of his wrongdoing. On the flipside, if the government let him personally access the devices, he could delete any incriminating files.

As a ploy to delay, this could end up being turned against him should the government actually gain access to the devices and find that that his needed files were indeed backed up in a place he could still access. Such a result wouldn't be a surprise. Using multiple devices would be easier if he could access his needed items on any device and, IMO, he would not be above such a blantant lie to the court.

North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:03 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:29 pm
Question for the legal types.

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that this is not a ploy to delay the proceedings because he access to all his records as they were saved on various external servers (iCloud, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.),
If this is the case, it's very likely the government already has access as well. A valid subpoena is almost always sufficient to get Apple, Google, etc. to open up an on-line account.

bob

Post by bob » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Somerset wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:03 pm
If this is the case, it's very likely the government already has access as well. A valid subpoena is almost always sufficient to get Apple, Google, etc. to open up an on-line account.
Apple took much grief for not cracking the San Bernardino shooters' phones. But I wonder how of much of this is about data stored in the cloud versus data on the machine (only).

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

LtDansLegs

Post by LtDansLegs » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:02 pm

It's worth noting that "they" may not have the ability to gain that access, nor the ability to access the files in any usable form. If they're encrypted in even the simplest form then it often doesn't matter how willing a third-party is, whether they're the manufacturer or even the owner of the storage platform.

Having followed it from the InfoSec angle, the San Bernadino shooter situation in particular was horribly reported (and became a huge hotbutton on both sides of the should they/shouldnt they issue) but there was no real reason to think that Apple was necessarily able to unlock the phone to begin with. The government professed to want Apple to "try" to unlock it, but more specifically they wanted them to share source code and proprietary information they "might" have regarding potential weaknesses that could be used to create completely new attack vectors to attempt an unlock. This is going by memory but back then they were really just trying to overcome the built-in defense mechanism after which the device is permanently disabled after a certain number of wrong unlock codes are entered. Things have changed enormously since then, with transparent hardware encryption pretty much built-in to many things.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:17 pm

bob wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:16 pm
Somerset wrote:
Apple took much grief for not cracking the San Bernardino shooters' phones. But I wonder how of much of this is about data stored in the cloud versus data on the machine (only).
It is possible that the government is unaware he saved files online and what service he used, providing he was using an online service. I could see then assuming he may have saved on iCloud but I don't know if they can execute a warrant if they don't have an exact username.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:24 am

Northland10 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:17 pm
I could see then assuming he may have saved on iCloud but I don't know if they can execute a warrant if they don't have an exact username.
Would it be reasonable for the prosecutors to serve a warrant relating to the person by name, address, personal details etc. and expect the service to look up accounts clearly associated with that person?

Obviously it's unreasonable and I assume illegal to demand that the service identify accounts that he might have used, including those with logins for Mr. M. Mouse and Mr. D. Duck, but requesting a simple look-up is not a fishing expedition, is it?

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Why is Avenatti involved in the R Kelly case? :shock:

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Why wouldn't he be, sounds right up his alley.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:08 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:09 pm
It's something to do while he's waiting to get suspended, go to prison, and get disbarred.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:08 pm

Jeffrey wrote:

Because of all the black tubular things on the table ;)

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:21 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:08 pm
Jeffrey wrote:
It's something to do while he's waiting to get suspended, go to prison, and get disbarred.
He thinks he can scam money from R Kelly?????? Funny, I thought he was broke, maybe he thinks the PR is worth something, otherwise, ego??????

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:43 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:17 pm
bob wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:16 pm
Somerset wrote:
It is possible that the government is unaware he saved files online and what service he used, providing he was using an online service. I could see then assuming he may have saved on iCloud but I don't know if they can execute a warrant if they don't have an exact username.
There's a very big company that is involved in data processing and storage for commercial entities primarily in the legal and accounting professions. Their name is Wolters Kluwer, and they are THE name in that business on an international level. And just a few weeks ago, their entire network went down and all of their clients worldwide lost their access. The reason: part of their network had been compromised with ransomware and by the time the company reacted, they opted to shut the whole thing down rather than risk even more damage. Even their own employees had no network access, not even to the company's own email and phone service.

This was absolutely catastrophic to numerous customers, especially since a lot of the accounting firms were in the midst of processing tax-related documentation for submission on their clients' behalf, when suddenly - poof, everything was inaccessible.

I happen to work with this company's academic and medical research division, so my organization was also affected, which is how I came to learn about it. Even Kluwer's support site was down. They hastily got themselves a new 800 number so customers could leave messages - but they warned us they wouldn't have time to respond to inquiries.

They eventually fixed the problem and slowly brought their network back up, bit by bit - but there was speculation on a lot of business sites and on Twitter by furious clients that some data - Kluwer's own and possibly some customer data, too - may have been irretrievably lost as a result of the ransomware attack.

Tl;dr: it is possible that some or all of Avenatti's files were stored on Kluwer's network, either by Avenatti's firm or by any third party accounting firm he may have used. It is possible that he lost access temporarily or permanently to some of that data. It is possible that this has given him a somewhat plausible excuse to provide the court to justify asking for a delay.

I've heard this bull before.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Somerset wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

Most dangerous place in the world is between a microphone and Michael Avenatti.

boots

Post by boots » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:54 am

LtDansLegs wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:02 pm
:snippity: :snippity: transparent hardware encryption pretty much built-in to many things.
What's that?

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:01 pm

Somerset wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

He apparently turned over some tapes to the Feds.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:42 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Thanks pal.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:47 am

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:42 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 pm

What are these things you're posting, what do they mean and who are they directed to?

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:28 am

I had the same question. I thought maybe Res is creating new accounts and posting to Avenatti Twitter threads or DM'ing and these are the responses, but I'm not sure. If so, that is way funny...keeping Avenatti chasing his tail. :lol:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:32 am

People post the screen shots as trophies.

I hope they are collected and put into a book.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:15 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:47 am

What are these things you're posting, what do they mean and who are they directed to?
If you say something on Twitter that Avenatti doesn't like, he sends you a nasty direct message and then blocks you.

People post them on Twitter, as noted above, like trophies or prizes.

It's like getting the town drunk to take a swing at you and stumble on the sidewalk, again.

In many of them, he goes after the number of followers that his target has, like so:

But that only makes it funnier, since he'll go after people with - I kid you not - as few as TWO followers on Twitter.

But they make great internet forum reply graphics.

I just thought, since we can't get Avenatti here in person, that we have him here with us in spirit.

Thanks pal.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:47 pm

I love how he takes the time to tell a "nobody" that they're a nobody.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:03 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:47 pm
I love how he takes the time to tell a "nobody" that they're a nobody.

You see? It's like having a pet Michael Avenatti of our very own.

You just read a post and think, "What would Michael say?"

Thanks pal.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:30 pm

A large part of that supposed billion dollars was reduced on motions to the court for new trials. And I suspect Avenatti took most of the rest whenever he could get away with it.

But, Michael, I am a nobody. And I have no followers.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”