Michael Avenatti

Gregg

Re: Michael Avenatti

Post by Gregg » Tue May 21, 2019 5:08 pm

Hey, he should know!

And yes on the greeting cards, I'll buy a full set.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue May 21, 2019 5:33 pm

Or at the very least a twitter campaign like they have for poor old Devvy.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed May 22, 2019 3:25 pm

Two indictments in SDNY. The second one involves embezzlement from someone identified as Victim-1 who had a book deal. Avenatti took all the advances and lied to Stormy, er Victim-1, about receiving them. Apparently forged Victim-1's name in a letter addressed to Stormy's literary agent authorizing disbursements.

Whatta guy!

Here's SDNY AUSA's Press Release. Links to the indictments are at the bottom of the page.

Avenatti seems to have stolen money from everyone he represented. Too bad that Kimberly Clark $454 million judgment didn't stand. He could have paid everyone back. Who could have predicted that the punitive damages would be found excessive?
► Show Spoiler

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed May 22, 2019 3:34 pm

Based on the CA indictment, it seems likely that he was lying and cheating well before the Kimberly Clark verdict came in - so I suspect that even if the verdict was upheld in full,* the plaintiffs there would just have been added to the victim list.

*Which clearly wasn't going to happen.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed May 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Oh, come on Mike, he didn't just get up one morning recently and suddenly decide that he was going to embezzle client funds. If anything I would bet this goes back a lot of years, maybe even as far back as the meltdown. He has most likely been at it since at least then in one form or another. He's been playing lawyer ponzi, and it finally ALL came apart. His list of victims is just going to get longer and longer.

For the lawyer types, how much of this could blow back on his partners? I seriously doubt if his insurance, assuming he even has any, would even begin to cover even a fraction of the total.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Wed May 22, 2019 3:53 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:50 pm
For the lawyer types, how much of this could blow back on his partners?
I have often wondered how no one else could have known what he was up to.
Thanks pal.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed May 22, 2019 3:55 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Oh, come on Mike, he didn't just get up one morning recently and suddenly decide that he was going to embezzle client funds. If anything I would bet this goes back a lot of years, maybe even as far back as the meltdown. He has most likely been at it since at least then in one form or another. He's been playing lawyer ponzi, and it finally ALL came apart. His list of victims is just going to get longer and longer.

I thought that's more or less what I was saying.
For the lawyer types, how much of this could blow back on his partners? I seriously doubt if his insurance, assuming he even has any, would even begin to cover even a fraction of the total.
I believe I read somewhere that he stopped carrying insurance some time ago.
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed May 22, 2019 4:21 pm

Did Avenatti really have partners? Or were they just additional victims who, by virtue of being called partners will now be victimized again?

The way to keep this from his partners (real or ostensible) was to keep tight control over the books and have a faithful and corrupt office manager/paralegal with stars in her eyes. Apparently Avenatti was charismatic (except to those of us who are as grumpy as we are world-weary), so it was probably easy to find such a person. Worse comes to worst, cut her in for some of the embezzled funds.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed May 22, 2019 5:34 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:55 pm
Notorial Dissent wrote:

I thought that's more or less what I was saying.
I believe I read somewhere that he stopped carrying insurance some time ago.
Even if he had insurance, I think it’s unlikely that his malpractice carrier would cover theft from his clients.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed May 22, 2019 5:48 pm

Whether or not any of the money went through an Avenatti IOLTA client trust account, Avenatti could bankrupt the California Client Security Fund all by his lonesome.

Another first!

Whip

Post by Whip » Wed May 22, 2019 5:50 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:25 pm

Avenatti seems to have stolen money from everyone he represented. Too bad that Kimberly Clark $454 million judgment didn't stand. He could have paid everyone back. Who could have predicted that the punitive damages would be found excessive?
► Show Spoiler
wasn't he just a bit player in that case? I believe even you joked he was just the coffee boy.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed May 22, 2019 8:39 pm

Only his fellow laywers will know how much he did. But according to the pro hac application he filed in SDNY where he touted all his accomplishments (other than his knack for embezzlement and fraud), it was all him and only him. That wasn't true, but he probably would have figured out a way to have all the money wired to his trust account(s).

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed May 22, 2019 11:41 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:39 pm
Only his fellow laywers will know how much he did. But according to the pro hac application he filed in SDNY where he touted all his accomplishments (other than his knack for embezzlement and fraud), it was all him and only him. That wasn't true, but he probably would have figured out a way to have all the money wired to his trust account(s).
Bro, you can step in at any time. He'd appreciate the help -- counsel to counsel. I know you are a good dude. I'll vouch^ for you
^but not your fees
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Thu May 23, 2019 7:36 am

Thanks pal.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu May 23, 2019 9:44 am

Re Avenatti's tweets: why did he forge his client's name to letters to her literary agent telling the agent to send him the money. And why did Daniels repeatedly write him and ask him where her money was where he repeatedly responded it had not yet been paid when it had been paid months earlier?

"My engagement letter let me do it" only works if it in fact allows the lawyer to steal and borrow money from his client and to mislead and lie to the client. We all know the answer to that.
► Show Spoiler

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu May 23, 2019 10:03 am

This whole saga is depressing. I'm just going on a general rant here and not addressing Avenatti's alleged misdeeds.

Here at Fogbow, there are many persons in varying careers within the legal profession. Being a lawyer comes with automatic baggage. They are all "crooks". What was that old joke, "What do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? -- a good start."

Michael Avenatti, wanting to be a high-profile attorney and sought adoration for same. He's a thief. I want to see him tanked, and in jail. He's hurt the profession and reputation of all attorneys.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 23, 2019 10:38 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:44 am
Re Avenatti's tweets: why did he forge his client's name to letters to her literary agent telling the agent to send him the money. And why did Daniels repeatedly write him and ask him where her money was where he repeatedly responded it had not yet been paid when it had been paid months earlier?

"My engagement letter let me do it" only works if it in fact allows the lawyer to steal and borrow money from his client and to mislead and lie to the client. We all know the answer to that.
► Show Spoiler
The red flag word for me was "entitled" , not "due", not "contracted". "Entitled" reveals his essence.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu May 23, 2019 11:27 am

neonzx wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:03 am
This whole saga is depressing. I'm just going on a general rant here and not addressing Avenatti's alleged misdeeds.

Here at Fogbow, there are many persons in varying careers within the legal profession. Being a lawyer comes with automatic baggage. They are all "crooks". What was that old joke, "What do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? -- a good start."

Michael Avenatti, wanting to be a high-profile attorney and sought adoration for same. He's a thief. I want to see him tanked, and in jail. He's hurt the profession and reputation of all attorneys.
Avenatti's biggest achievement, other than paving the way for a long prison sentence and his disbarment, was destroying the anti-Kavanaugh momentum that had begun through the bravery of Professor Christine Blasey Ford, by inserting himself into the public discussion. The man is worse than a pestilence. He is a danger to democratic values, just like Trump. The two are very much alike.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu May 23, 2019 2:03 pm

What was that old joke, "What do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? -- a good start."
Not very funny, I'd give that one a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10.

My Uncle George told me the funniest lawyer joak I ever heard:
Q. What's the difference between a lawyer and a rooster?

A. A rooster clucks defiance.
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Thu May 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Meanwhile, the Central District has ordered Avenatti's criminal defense lawyers to respond to a subpoena seeking information from them on how Avenatti is paying them, so that Jason Frank can attach whatever that source might be.

https://www.usatoday.com/documents/6023954-Compel/

I hope I never owe Jason Frank money. That guy is relentless.
Thanks pal.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu May 23, 2019 2:19 pm

There might not be a word for how fucked Avenatti is right now - but if there is, it's 'justice.'

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu May 23, 2019 2:38 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:27 am
Avenatti's biggest achievement, other than paving the way for a long prison sentence and his disbarment, was destroying the anti-Kavanaugh momentum that had begun through the bravery of Professor Christine Blasey Ford, by inserting himself into the public discussion. The man is worse than a pestilence. He is a danger to democratic values, just like Trump. The two are very much alike.
Yes, he did, cause... why not .. opportunity. He tainted her testimony for his own selfish ambitions.

As far as Brett Kavanaugh goes, everyone with a brain who was a teenager at some point knows what Christine testified to was true. All that young boy, at the time, needed to do was admit it happened and he would have been forgiven.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu May 23, 2019 2:48 pm

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:06 pm
Meanwhile, the Central District has ordered Avenatti's criminal defense lawyers to respond to a subpoena seeking information from them on how Avenatti is paying them, so that Jason Frank can attach whatever that source might be.

https://www.usatoday.com/documents/6023954-Compel/

I hope I never owe Jason Frank money. That guy is relentless.
Relentless and unlikely to recover a penny from Avenatti. As a former "partner" or employee of Avenatti, Frank is ineligible to recover from the Client Security Fund.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu May 23, 2019 3:23 pm

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/05 ... m_brand=vf
“I Flew Too Close to the Sun. No Question. Icarus”: Inside the Epic Fall of Michael Avenatti

Stormy Daniels’s former attorney is a hyper-aggressive narcissist with shadows in his past—which made him a perfect adversary for Donald Trump. For a few months, the #Resistance hero even thought he could be president. Then the past caught up with him.
EJF was on some TV show yesterday talking about this article. Interesting listening to her reactions and how candid Avenatti was considering his legal troubles.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu May 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Foggy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:03 pm
What was that old joke, "What do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? -- a good start."
Not very funny, I'd give that one a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10.

My Uncle George told me the funniest lawyer joak I ever heard:
Q. What's the difference between a lawyer and a rooster?

A. A rooster clucks defiance.
Every demographic is capable of the very best and the very worst of human behavior.

Lawyers, even more so. 8-)
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”