Michael Avenatti

Foggy

Re: Michael Avenatti

Post by Foggy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:31 pm

Jeazess H. Kreist ...
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Wow.

Chill people

Chill.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:01 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:41 pm
Wow.

Chill people

Chill.
... or buy a tankerful of mud and git down to some nekkit wrasslin' ... with a video camera running!

batguano

Post by batguano » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:52 pm

Yppity is a great new word though!

I dealt with a couple of lawyers today who were yppity, mayne even yippity.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:57 pm

I guess I’m the only one who took mrpfister’s comment as a *good-natured* jab at those members, attorney or no, who chide those of us who don’t have equally strong feelings about Avennati or mock us as birther-like lemmings? I don’t think Mikedunford was his target.

I say good natured because that’s how I read it. Obv. YMV.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:03 pm

kate520 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:57 pm
I guess I’m the only one who took mrpfister’s comment as a *good-natured* jab at those members, attorney or no, who chide those of us who don’t have equally strong feelings about Avennati or mock us as birther-like lemmings? I don’t think Mikedunford was his target.

Gotta disagree with you, Kate. I didn't see it as good natured at all. I saw it as being an asshole.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:57 pm

I didn't see it rising to the level of assholery, but definitely snotty with intent to demean.

If it was meant lightheartedly, that should, perhaps be made clearer.
Image Image Image Image Image

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:19 am

This thread is about Michael Avenatti. As I see it, it is not a place for a member to lecture other members.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:21 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:19 am
This thread is about Michael Avenatti. As I see it, it is not a place for a member to lecture other members.
:yeah:
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Mr Pfister

Post by Mr Pfister » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:18 am

I just want to know if he actually did it.

Because - call me what you want (please, you really can't hurt me here) but I genuinely do not believe Avenatti did anything near this. Nowhere close.

My "critical thinking skills" do allow me to see a plausible path to setting this guy up.

But when I dared to mention THAT upthread - HOLY CRAP!

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I really don't "like" this guy, but I sure as hell don't hate him like some of the ... oh, never mind.

This is me now :popcorn:

(On another note, now that I know some of the thinner skinned types here don't know how to read me, and now that I know how to get to these: :sarcasm: I will try to make better use of them. Apparently some people need pictures to get the full story)

jmj

Post by jmj » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:27 am

kate520 wrote:

Well, his follow-up comments should make it clear that it wasn't actually good-natured, he was basically just being a dick (and enjoying it).

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:34 am

kate520 wrote:

You aren't the only one. The description may fit one or two IAALs here, but definitely doesn't fit the vast majority. If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, why get offended? My 2 cents.

As for Avenatti. I get a kick out of seeing him down in the mud with Trump, especially because it gets under his skin. Neither of them belong in the White House. Have no idea if he did this thing. I'm sure we will probably get more information. In the meantime, :yawn:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:23 am

Yeah, I got too thin skinned there. Sorry, all.

In my defense, I don't think I would have taken a small comment so personally if it was the first or second time something that sounded personal-attackish was directed toward the lawyers here who dislike Avenatti. But my response was still disproportionate to what was said.

Apologies again,
--A yppity lawyer.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:29 am

“Apparently some people need pictures to get the whole story” is a dickish thing to say. So there’s that.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:31 am

going with the time, trends and surf, future questions may only be answered if poster identifies a IANAYL ;)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:12 am

... and after all that, we still don't have any, y'know ... facts.

Even when I was a yppity lawyer, I liked to have a few facts to work with. :-

What, I would like to know, is the name of the alleged victim, and is she or is she not in a domestic relationship with Señor Avenatti?

Why did Jacob Wohl, he of #Morongate, jump to claim credit for the arrest?

Why did TMZ change its story several times without explanation?

WTF is going on here?
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:14 am

Orlylicious wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:43 pm
Exactly. This is most likely another setup like the woman who took Al Franken down (friend of Hannity, etc). Good folks are waiting for the facts to come out here.
Kirsten Gillibrand is a friend of Hannity's?
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:17 am

Maybe there could be two Avenatti threads? One to debate his pros and cons and one for the rest of us just wanting to follow the story and eat :popcorn: while watching the :shit: show?

Just a thought. Otherwise I'm about ready to quit clicking on this thread.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:21 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:31 am
going with the time, trends and surf, future questions may only be answered if poster identifies a IANAYL ;)
IAAYL.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:27 am

Foggy wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:12 am
... and after all that, we still don't have any, y'know ... facts.

Even when I was a yppity lawyer, I liked to have a few facts to work with. :-

What, I would like to know, is the name of the alleged victim, and is she or is she not in a domestic relationship with Señor Avenatti?

Why did Jacob Wohl, he of #Morongate, jump to claim credit for the arrest?

Why did TMZ change its story several times without explanation?

WTF is going on here?
I am not a shipping clerk, yppity or otherwise, and never have been, but those are all questions I wonder about. Except I get confused about who Jacob Wohl is, the young guy incapable of smiling or the older guy with the open fly?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:52 am

beeing freshly upgraded to IANAYL: what's the time between getting arrested and facing indictment?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:52 am

Jacob Wohl is the young guy. The guy with the droopy zipper is Jack Burkman, a slimy cockroach in his own right. But not, apparently, involved in this ... yet.
Natasha Bertrand wrote:Just called Jack Burkman to see if he knew anything about Surefire Intelligence and Avenatti. He said no. So I asked him whatever happened to the Mueller accuser and he hung up on me. 🤷‍♀️

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:59 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:03 pm
How do you pronounce “yppity”? Yappity? Yeppity? Yippity? Yoppity? Yuppity? Yppity? Asking for a friend....
It appears yppity will be making an ironic home here at TFB, so may I suggest EEpity, as in Ybor City, Florida.
We’re in NYC this week. ImageImageImage x4

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:02 am

Wait, first we need a huge argument about whether Y is a vowel or a consonant.

I've been saying "ippity" in my head. :doh:

If that makes me part of a vowel movement ... :blackeye: :bag:

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:07 am

Off Topic
Since we're talking about Burkman's fly, I'll share this amusing side story in the spirit of being more agreeable:

I was once negotiating with a prosecutor - with whom I am on fairly friendly terms - in the hall outside a courtroom. He'd made an offer for a sentencing recommendation that was close to what my client wanted. It was close enough that I was advising him to take it and allow me to try to persuade the judge to come the rest of the way. As we were about to go back into the courtroom, I happened to notice that the prosecutor's fly was down. Sotto voce, I told him to check his zipper. He thanked me, and then immediately said, "You don't think I'm going to come down on my offer just because you helped me out with that, do you?" "What? I wouldn't dream of it." He slapped me on the shoulder.

When we went on the record, he dropped his recommendation to what my client wanted. The client will never know it was because the DA happened to have a wardrobe malfunction.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”