The AsystBio Conspiracy

RoadScholar

Re: AsystBio LLC case

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:43 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:31 am
I believe that this entire thread should be deleted. It was unwise to start it and it's unwise to continue it.
Indeed. A great idea.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:57 am

I have mixed feelings on the deletion. If anything posed a legal threat to the Fogbow or any member other than Slarti there would be no question. I can see a case could be made for protecting Slarti from what some consider to be self destructive behavior. However, he is a grown up with a PhD and hasn't violated any of the rules as far as I can tell. Certainly any of those who have replied haven't done anything to deserve having their posts deleted. This is where the topic ignore option would be nice but that's apparently not a feature in PHPBB yet.

That's my $0.02 but I will go with whatever the El Supremo Dick Tater chooses to do.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:28 am

Reality Check wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:57 am
I have mixed feelings on the deletion. If anything posed a legal threat to the Fogbow or any member other than Slarti there would be no question. I can see a case could be made for protecting Slarti from what some consider to be self destructive behavior. However, he is a grown up with a PhD and hasn't violated any of the rules as far as I can tell. Certainly any of those who have replied haven't done anything to deserve having their posts deleted. This is where the topic ignore option would be nice but that's apparently not a feature in PHPBB yet.

That's my $0.02 but I will go with whatever the El Supremo Dick Tater chooses to do.
Solution looks like to create a Slarti User group, make Slarti the leader so he can manage his viewers on demand. Move this thread to the limited Slartis Discussions subforum..

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:06 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:57 am

I think any decision to delete this thread should be made by Slarti. Let's hope he comes to his senses. If he agrees, would anyone here who has posted be concerned that his or her post is being removed?

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:42 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:06 pm
I think any decision to delete this thread should be made by Slarti. Let's hope he comes to his senses. If he agrees, would anyone here who has posted be concerned that his or her post is being removed?
I would not.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:46 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:42 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
I would not.
I have barely commented, but I would not be concerned if those few posts were deleted. But Slarti does not seem to mind if they remain. :brickwallsmall:
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:07 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:42 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
I would not.
I have no issue.

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:58 pm

I have mostly avoided this thread, esp. after all the sage advice that Slarti limit what he says here. Part of me understands that after a few years of being muffled that Slarti might wish to exclaim a few things to the boogle. We are friends and the desire to share with friends is natural. With that:

Slarti,

This is not intended in any way to insult you, be dismissive of your reasoning, nor stifle your desire to share something important with the boogle. My impression is that you are too cocksure to be a dispassionate scientist at times. I base this mostly on an offsite discussion we had a few years ago. I was interested in some scientific issues and had PMed you to see if you had an interest. In the ensuing correspondence I decided not to continue and this is the reason why.

I am a student of the geosciences. Sharp, definitive answers are not the norm. Instead, a geoscientist will often seek ranges of answers in the various disciplines (e.g. mineralology, paleontology, geochemistry, geophysics, structural geology, etc.). The range of answers is reduced (hopefully to a small number) by evaluating the "overlaps" between the answer ranges of the various disciplines. An analogy would be the common area among several mathematical sets. Ever since I was a baby geologist, I was instructed by my professors that science is best accomplished when the geologist starts the "experiment" by creating multiple working hypotheses. If you recall from our offsite discussion, you generally agreed that multiple working hypotheses was a good scientific approach for a science like geology, but it wasn't as valuable in your scientific ventures.

That is why I decided not to continue the conversation with you. I saw your stance as being closed minded and potentially verging on acceptance of being bound to a ruling hypothesis. The certainty or reasonableness of a hypothesis should not be a controlling factor in scientific inquiry. By way of example, let us look at the exquisite fraud perpetrated upon paleontologists a little over a century ago. In that time, the leading paleontologists had postulated on what the Missing Link would "look" like. Amazingly, the discovery of skull fragments, teeth and a jawbone near Piltdown village in England, matched almost exactly what those leading paleontologists had "determined" the Missing Link to be. In reality, Piltdown Man was a clever precursor to chicken McNuggets composed of human and orangutan pieces parts.

Whenever scientists lock themselves into a ruling hypothesis, science suffers. I may be completely wrong in my analysis of your position Slarti and whether your work might suffer from your narrowed focus. When the work is simple, it is often best to keep a narrow focus, not unlike the bridles with blinders that work horses wear. Your cocksure attitude towards your scientific endeavors may be clouding your judgment regarding the legal matters you have and are dealing with your company.

I can, when desired go on and on, so let me finally get to my main point. You stated upthread:
What my friends are telling me is that they care and they are concerned, but I know they don't have sufficient knowledge of the situation to have informed opinions, let alone expert ones.
Several attorneys here have counseled you to STOP! The fact that they do not have "sufficient knowledge of the situation" does not invalidate or minimize their sage counsel to SHUT the F*** UP! The attorneys here have experience in many facets of the law and they all know very well that it is never wise for a litigant to say anything, anywhere that might be used by the opposition. It is wrong to presume that your vast knowledge of science magically carries over to litigation and your notion that your carefully crafted prose will cause you no harm. Sadly, in my opinion your stance is not unlike Trump saying that he doesn't need a bunch of "scientific facts" to guide his policies. His gut feeling is always right!

I am also a professional land surveyor. That profession is an eclectic mix of the science of mensuration and the application of real property and boundary law. While I am proud that I can obtain and compute extremely accurate positions of boundary monuments (within a few millimeters) using GPS, total stations, laser scanners, gyroscopes, and least squares analysis software, I would be daft to cling to my expert measurements when applying the law places the boundary elsewhere. If I find a measurement blunder that the original surveyor made setting the land boundary corners, the law precludes me from correcting their mistake.

You are right that the boogle cares and is concerned for you (me too, also), but don't take your singular experience with this litigation as somehow validating your gut reaction that it is okay to post about it. Your decision to dismiss sound legal advice and discuss the lawsuit is no different than those gifted scientists clinging to their ruling hypothesis that Piltdown Man HAD to be the missing link. Stay focused on what you know and leave all the lawyering things to the lawyers!

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:47 am

Bingo, RockMan.

:fivestars:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:54 pm

Please do not delete this thread. It is part of how I am protecting myself from threatened and actual retaliation for whistleblowing. I want all of this information (and more) to be public so that people are held accountable for their crimes. Specifically:

Bill Kaufmann -- professor, UNC: plagiarism, perjury, defrauding the government (and my company) of $270K

Dennis Simpson -- professor, UNC: fraud and threat of retaliation for whistleblowing

Adam Brody and Bill Rohn -- partners, Varnum LLP: malpractice (proven) and violations of 13 sections of the MRPC (alleged)

They also used their institutional and professional powers to stonewall and dismiss my complaints about... this mishegoss as frivolous.

In addition, I will put information here for federal investigators (i.e. the information which they will need to prosecute these crimes) and provide them with the link through the NIH Extramural Research Integrity Officer, with whom I am in contact.

I will respond to all of your comments when I have a chance, but I just had a friend arrive from Texas and I've got to get him installed in FEMA Camp 42 tomorrow, so I'm a little distracted. There is no danger at all here and the people I'm outing all face the consequences of their actions, one of which is obligating UNC and Varnum to protect James and I from their employees, which will not be altered by something posted on a forum. That is what I am trying to do: establish whistleblower protection for James and myself. Because the institutions of Varnum LLP and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill have threatened to do everything in their power to destroy us until they sever ties with the group that made that threat.

The people named above are all more than welcome to come here and tell their side of the story, but I think they are going to have other concerns. They could find out how Gene Howington used them all and set them up -- probably the only mitigating circumstance in this case -- but that would mean that they would have to listen to me, which has proven difficult for them in the past. If Gene would like to come on here, he can help with the commentary for his deposition -- I think that would be hilarious! My favorite line: "'consent resolution', please define.". Or when Sara said "got you" under her breath. But I'm still having an enormous amount of fun. And appreciate all of your concern. I just know that it is misplaced because of incorrect assumptions and lack of information. So please don't think that I am in any danger here or doing anything that is at all legally questionable -- on the contrary, I have acted according to the highest standards of integrity, professionalism, competence, and transparency throughout this entire time. And created a record that proves exactly that. So relax and enjoy and if you don't believe me, ask for more evidence -- I've got a 934-page dossier full of it.
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:01 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:54 pm
Please do not delete this thread.
OK.
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:30 pm

This looks like a disaster in progress. Sorry, Slarti, ima hafta block you. You do you without me.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:31 pm

:popcorn:

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:32 pm

:cantlook:

Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:39 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:32 pm
:cantlook:
:like:
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:19 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Please do not delete this thread. It is part of how I am protecting myself from threatened and actual retaliation for whistleblowing. I want all of this information (and more) to be public so that people are held accountable for their crimes.

:snippity:
I cannot envision a competent attorney suggesting that their client post information to an online forum for the reasons you state. I'm sure there are far superior venues than here "so that people are held accountable," but I am not an attorney, nor am I a social network maven. I'm not on Facebook, don't have a Twitter account, nor Instagram, Tumblr, Snapchat or myspace. I've been married for 38 years, so don't need Tinder, also, too, happily, so no to Ashley Madison.

You are certainly welcome to deconstruct my prior post, but I won't revisit this thread. I do wish you all the best Slarti, but I'm going to bow out like W4. I have no desire to see the inevitable train wreck.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Foggy wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:01 pm
Slartibartfast wrote:
Please do not delete this thread.
OK.
Thank you Foggy. I'll be in the Triangle on the 15th and 16th of July. Consider this a Regular Red Robin Rendezvous Request. Will text the week before. Will be in DC/Baltimore area the following two days as well if anyone is interested in meeting up.
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:52 pm

Mr. Gneiss,

Would you say the same thing if a rape victim wanted to tell her story and name her attackers? And had video?

What would a scientist do? What condition would falsify your opinion of me? As long as all of your minds are closed, none of your opinions will be scientific. To not give me a chance to provide evidence that I was a victim of a reprehensible crime is cowardly.

Frankly, I expected better of you. You certainly have always gotten and will always get better from me.

Always check your assumptions -- nothing will save you from bad assumptions.

I once read somewhere...

A free individual is society's greatest friend.

Society is a free individual's greatest enemy.

Would someone please tell Mr. Gneiss about this post and tell him that Dr. Kesseler will indeed deconstruct his post. In the same manner Slarti has always answered his posts. If he is a real scientist then he will engage in a dialogue, if not, then I'll learn something -- that I was wrong about him.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:14 am

Somerset wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:04 am
Slartibartfast wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:50 pm

I am listening to my lawyer -- the one I am paying, Sara -- and this is what she says about the significance of the situation:

Have you shown Sara this thread?

If not, you probably should.
Oh, god no. Do you know how much that would cost? She bills at $375/hr. Besides, she has gotten much longer, more detailed emails that explain the situation much better than what I've written here. That I did pay her to read. Which resulted in her coming to respect my understanding of the case and me coming to respect her expertise. And when I paid her to listen to me talk, I convinced her that the Varnum lawyers, Adam and Bill, had acted inappropriately. How will her looking at this thread help her get James and me made whole?

Again, I am accusing people of committing crimes that I have evidence to prove they committed. According to information provided in discovery, Bill Kaufmann was having stress dreams in the spring of 2016. I guess that's what happens when you betray your student and plagiarize from his colleague. I've been to Bill's house (I got scolded for not wearing a hat -- although it was sunny and we were in a group studying melanoma), he and his wife Jane have been to my house. But that isn't a license to do any of the things that he did. And there has to be a reckoning for that. I have an ethical responsibility to make sure that my former mentor is disgraced as a scientist. Because he has disgraced himself. As has Dennis. So why, exactly, should I keep quiet about their ignominy and malfeasance towards me?

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:31 am

Foggy wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:47 am
Off Topic
If you name the people you are suing, they'll be able to find this website and this thread. And your other 7,000 posts on the forum. Just sayin'.
I stand behind every one of those 7,000+ posts. As both Slarti and Dr. Kesseler. Even the ones from the before time, from the long, long ago that are nigh unrecoverable. Besides, there's no point to suing Bill and Dennis -- they couldn't pay anything in January even though everyone admitted we would have won at trial. Considering that they defrauded the government of $270K, including an extra $50K that they almost certainly got due to the plagiarism, and I suspect used a large portion of that grant as a slush fund, which they have either stashed or burned through, I'm not trying to get blood from that stone.

As for Adam and Bill, I'll be seeking whistleblower protection from them as well. From my attorneys, Varnum LLP -- who they are illegally preventing me from contacting (through themselves). Has any of you FogBar lawyers refused to even talk to your client?

If Gene comes and posts here I would welcome him, but as any dialogue we have would likely implicate him in identity theft and that I have been wanting to take my mother's suggestion and get the FBI involved for some time, I doubt that Gene would enjoy it as much as I would. We do, however, have his entire deposition to make fun of. Or you can make fun of mine if you would like to root for the defense. HINT: it turns out badly for them in the end. My deposition led directly to all of the trouble Adam and Bill are in. If they hadn't tried to cover up their own stupidity, I never would have gotten interested in the MRPC.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:22 am

realist wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:58 pm
Do you think Varnum might be in trouble yet? I've got more...
:towel:
Not from hearing just one side.
Sometimes one side has all the merits on it. It isn't my fault that no viable defense can be made. Actually, on second thought, it is my fault -- I have documented the situation so well that there are no plausible defenses, only a series of Morton's forks...

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:32 am

Dr. Caligari wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:10 pm
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Why not? This is absolutely an appropriate place to bring a literal conspiracy to justice, is it not? These are people who were willing to commit the most serious of crimes: plagiarism, malpractice, identity theft. Do you think that people should get away with crimes like this? I don't. I believe that not only do they have to face appropriate consequences (which they will, but not by my hand), but they deserve to have the full story told -- and have their lack of character demonstrated in their own words.

realist

Post by realist » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:04 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:32 am
Dr. Caligari wrote:
Hidden Content
Why not? This is absolutely an appropriate place to bring a literal conspiracy to justice, is it not? These are people who were willing to commit the most serious of crimes: plagiarism, malpractice, identity theft. Do you think that people should get away with crimes like this? I don't. I believe that not only do they have to face appropriate consequences (which they will, but not by my hand), but they deserve to have the full story told -- and have their lack of character demonstrated in their own words.
That questions has been answered mutltiple times by practicing attorneys and others who are familiar with the legal process. You obviously do not wish to heed their advice. You seem to believe you know more about legalese and legal process than they do so just proceed. As you're obviously going to do. I hope it's not to your detriment or legal peril, but chances are it will be.
ImageX 4 ImageX36

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:08 am

No. It is not. Unless the Court of Bun Dogs were a real thing, which it isn’t. So your rants can have no negative legal nor positive pedagogical effect on the antagonists in your story, but might (according to the FogBar) assist them in escaping being punished for their perfidy.

Seems like a lose-lose for the protagonist whom we do care about, i.e. you.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:17 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:32 am
Dr. Caligari wrote:
Hidden Content
We agree because we prefer to not watch you do things that carry a possibility - and not necessarily a small one - of causing anguish and loss.

Your lawyer is familiar with the case. She's also got an outstanding rep as a developing talent. She's also practicing in multiple areas of law, and, by your own statements, has not vetted or reviewed your wording in any of the posts here. In this thread, you have many decades of experience, including at least several people who, between them, have many decades of civil litigation-specific experience.

Litigation, from what little I've seen, has a strong focus on predicting and preventing potential catastrophe. It employs, in this regard, something that I think is somewhat akin to the method of multiple working hypotheses in geology*, but with a focus on identifying and eliminating possible outcomes in a somewhat more active manner. Right now, you see talking about the events that hurt you in the past here as step on the pathway to what you want to feel - be - whole again. I think everyone appreciates that. But it's also a critical step on several different pathways, each of which could easily result in an end state that is substantially worse than the one you want.

Under the circumstances, don't you think it might be advisable to consider alternate routes to your desired destination, even if they might be a bit more circuitous than the one you've plotted?

*I'm a big fan of both TC Chamberlin and GK Gilbert's work in this area, which predates Karl Popper by a considerable margin. Every now and then I do some work on a course plan for a legal research/writing class I'd like to teach someday. Grove Karl Gilbert's very readable and not overly technical papers in which he carefully tested and rejected meteor impact as the explanation for the formation of the Canyon Diablo Crater** are on my tentative reading list for that class.

**Now known as "Meteor Crater."***

***In other words, I think everyone understands the possibility that we are wrong, in part because we have inadequate information. That's been factored in to the various winces and waveoffs.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”