USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Re: USA v Michael T. Flynn; USDC for DC; False Statements to FBI; Guilty Plea

Post by Orlylicious »

RW troll Will Chamberlain (don't believe he's an attorney):

@willchamberlain

Rachel Maddow was hoping that Judge Sullivan would refuse to dismiss the charges against General Flynn

That won't work

Judge Sullivan is bound by DC Circuit law, which PROHIBITS district court judges from second-guessing a decision not to prosecute because doing so is lenient

The titular Mama June enjoys a Corn Dog on 4th of July! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

You can probably lose a lot of money betting about what a Fedreral Appeals Court Judge can't do.
I'm pretty sure the list of people who can tell him he can't is 5 of 9.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Gregg wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:20 am
You can probably lose a lot of money betting about what a Fedreral Appeals Court Judge can't do.
I'm pretty sure the list of people who can tell him he can't is 5 of 9.
Agreed. (But Federal District Court judge and it would be the appellate court that can tell a district court judge whether he/she is correct, and subsequently (possibly), the Supreme Court.)
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Addie

Post by Addie »

Yahoo News - Michael Isikoff: Exclusive: Obama says in private call that 'rule of law is at risk' in Michael Flynn case
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Oops. DC US Atty submitted court document to dismiss Flynn charges with the wrong DC Bar number. The filing by Tim Shea, but with the number belonging to previous US atty, appears to be technically invalid. Judge Sullivan, your move...@kpolantz

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

O'rly?
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

The titular Mama June enjoys a Corn Dog on 4th of July! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Someone tell Orly its time to quarantine :lol:

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/opin ... d=tw-share

At the direction of Attorney General Bill Barr, the Justice Department last week moved to dismiss a false-statements charge against Michael Flynn, President Trump’s former national security adviser. The reason stated was that the continued prosecution “would not serve the interests of justice.”

The motion was signed by Timothy Shea, a longtime trusted adviser of Mr. Barr and, since January, the acting U.S. attorney in Washington. In attempting to support its argument, the motion cites more than 25 times the F.B.I.’s report of an interview with me in July 2017, two months after I left a decades-long career at the department (under administrations of both parties) that culminated in my role as the acting assistant attorney general for national security.

That report, commonly referred to as a “302,” is an interesting read. It vividly describes disagreements between leadership of the Justice Department and the F.B.I. about how to handle the information we had learned about Mr. Flynn’s calls with the Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak and, more specifically, Mr. Flynn’s apparent lies about those calls to incoming Vice President Mike Pence.

But the report of my interview is no support for Mr. Barr’s dismissal of the Flynn case. It does not suggest that the F.B.I. had no counterintelligence reason for investigating Mr. Flynn. It does not suggest that the F.B.I.’s interview of Mr. Flynn — which led to the false-statements charge — was unlawful or unjustified. It does not support that Mr. Flynn’s false statements were not material. And it does not support the Justice Department’s assertion that the continued prosecution of the case against Mr. Flynn, who pleaded guilty to knowingly making material false statements to the FBI, “would not serve the interests of justice.”

bob

Post by bob »

NYT wrote:I left a decades-long career at the department (under administrations of both parties) that culminated in my role as the acting assistant attorney general for national security.
Behind the NYT paywall is the official's name: Mary McCord.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

:clap: Someone has some integrity.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

another para from the article
Mary McCord in NYT wrote:Notably, Mr. Barr’s motion to dismiss does not argue that the F.B.I. violated the Constitution or statutory law when agents interviewed Mr. Flynn about his calls with Mr. Kislyak. It doesn’t claim that they violated his Fifth Amendment rights by coercively questioning him when he wasn’t free to leave. Nor does the motion claim that the interview was the fruit of a search or seizure that violated the Fourth Amendment. Any of these might have justified moving to dismiss the case. But by the government’s own account, the interview with Mr. Flynn was voluntary, arranged in advance and took place in Mr. Flynn’s own office.

bob

Post by bob »

Mary McCord in NYT wrote:Notably, Mr. Barr’s motion to dismiss does not argue that the F.B.I. violated the Constitution or statutory law when agents interviewed Mr. Flynn about his calls with Mr. Kislyak. It doesn’t claim that they violated his Fifth Amendment rights by coercively questioning him when he wasn’t free to leave. Nor does the motion claim that the interview was the fruit of a search or seizure that violated the Fourth Amendment. Any of these might have justified moving to dismiss the case. But by the government’s own account, the interview with Mr. Flynn was voluntary, arranged in advance and took place in Mr. Flynn’s own office.
:yeah:
Consensual conversations* are the backbone of many law enforcement investigations. If every criminal case had to be dismissed because of a policy violation, there would be few cases left to prosecute to trial.

* "Consensual conversation" is a bit of a legal fiction, of course. If armed, uniformed officers stroll up and say, "Mind if we talk?", there's a lot of implicit coercion going on. Especially when arresting officers' reports inevitably will omit any coercive actions or statements.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I realize that it’s pointless to try to guess what the court will do, but I’m bored.

Is it possible / probable that this will get dragged out another year, and Barr is gone*?

* I refuse to consider any other possibility

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News
@ABC
·
32m
JUST IN: Nearly 2000 Justice Dept. officials have signed onto a letter calling for Attorney General William Barr to resign over what they describe as his improper intervention in the criminal case of former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn.

https://t.co/kWK79FZXtp?amp=1
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

Volkonski wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:11 pm
ABC News
@ABC
·
32m
JUST IN: Nearly 2000 Justice Dept. officials have signed onto a letter calling for Attorney General William Barr to resign over what they describe as his improper intervention in the criminal case of former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn.

https://t.co/kWK79FZXtp?amp=1
Why am i looking at a video with a bunch of pigs?

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:14 pm

Why am i looking at a video with a bunch of pigs?
Try this...
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/2000-do ... d=70615677
Birfers are toast

tek

Post by tek »

Ms.tek is sitting on the couch, watching teevee... I'm in the kitchen on the laptop.
Ms.tek is still a member of the Bar, though she no longer practices.

MSNBC just showed a clip about Barr's fuckery in the Flynn case.

In a strong voice, she said "Bill Barr, you should be ashamed of yourself!"
There's no way back
from there to here

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

@tek, you have a very nice and polite wife.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

:lol:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

This tweet links to a WaPo opinion piece about what Judge Sullivan can/should do with this bullshit. Also here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... -its-over/

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Kyle Cheney ‏Verified account @kyledcheney

JUST IN: Judge in FLYNN Case indicates he's going to set a schedule to receive briefs from interested parties regarding the effort by DOJ to drop the case.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Very interesting!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

:explode:

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”