US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

TexasFilly

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARAo

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:21 pm

SLQ wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:50 pm
Either Manafort or Cohen was using that draft email method, because I read about it here.
Ehhh, it's an oldie but goody! Recall that is how General Petraeus and his mistress communicated, IRRC.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Sterngard Friegen

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:23 pm

SLQ wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:55 pm
I wonder if Judge Ellis is beginning to regret his “the government is being mean to poor Paulie” position?
Ellis is an equal opportunity abuser. He's one of those judges who likes to criticize all of the lawyers just because it gives him pleasure to show others how much smarter than the lawyers he is. (He isn't.)

I disagree, though, with Maybenaut. I don't think his lawyers are conflicted in the sense that they are now opposed to him. They've committed crimes in his defense, but that will be dealt with later.

If it turns out any of Manafort's emails constituted further subornation, the Feds could file yet another superseding indictmenbt, this time in EDVA, and name his lawyers as aiders and abettors. But I doubt the Mueller team will do that now. We have plenty of time before Sol becomes a red giant. And the prosecutors are ready to go to trial, knowing that if Manafort is going to crack it's going to be just before jury selection.

TexasFilly

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:24 pm

SLQ wrote:
I wonder if Judge Ellis is beginning to regret his “the government is being mean to poor Paulie” position?
The old fart hasn't begun to see the shitstorm this trial will turn into.

I believe Anita Hill!

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:23 pm
SLQ wrote:
Ellis is an equal opportunity abuser. He's one of those judges who likes to criticize all of the lawyers just because it gives him pleasure to show others how much smarter than the lawyers he is. (He isn't.)

I disagree, though, with Maybenaut. I don't think his lawyers are conflicted in the sense that they are now opposed to him. They've committed crimes in his defense, but that will be dealt with later.

If it turns out any of Manafort's emails constituted further subornation, the Feds could file yet another superseding indictmenbt, this time in EDVA, and name his lawyers as aiders and abettors. But I doubt the Mueller team will do that now. We have plenty of time before Sol becomes a red giant. And the prosecutors are ready to go to trial, knowing that if Manafort is going to crack it's going to be just before jury selection.
That remains to be seen. Their defense may be they were too stupid to realize that plugging into the internet was a really bad idea. But it's more work for lawyers when the criminal defense lawyers need lawyers. I told my husband shortly after the "election" that this was going to be a full employment for lawyers administration. I had no. Fucking. Idea.

I believe Anita Hill!

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:22 pm

So, presumably the e-mail account(s) Manafort is using surreptitiously are either (1) e-mail accounts he previously used that the government has issued a subpoena for, or (2) Manafort has given that e-mail address to one or more of the third parties he talked to on his jail cell (pun intended) phone, which were monitored.

Otherwise, I could see the need for a subpoena for the lawyer's laptop to get the e-mail address.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:31 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:55 pm
Manafort has my thoughts and prayers.
I think he needs them urgently and strongly:
Manafort finds a way to sneak emails out of jail

quaoar
Wednesday July 11, 2018 · 7:57 PM CEST

Remember all those pundits who were wondering how in the world could Paul Manafort be so stupid as to try to tamper with witnesses while out on bond?

Well … there’s no cure for stupid, as they say.
Rachel Maddow MSNBC @maddow
Special Counsel's Office says Manafort has been surreptitiously sending emails from jail...https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... ntinue.pdf

7:37 PM - Jul 11, 2018
Here is the relevant section from the filing from Mueller’s team, which is linked in the tweet above:

Although the jail does not allow prisoners to send or receive emails, Manafort appears to have developed a workaround. Manafort has revealed on the monitored phone calls that in order to exchange emails, he reads and composes emails on a second laptop that is shuttled in and out of the facility by his team. When the team takes the laptop from the jail, it reconnects to the internet and Manafort’s emails are transmitted.

Oh, and you know all that stuff about how Manafort is being tortured while in solitary?

Manafort also has a personal telephone in his unit, which he can use over twelve hours a day to speak with his attorneys. According to prison telephone logs, in the last three weeks Manafort has had over 100 phone calls with his attorneys, and another 200 calls with other persons. Those telephone logs indicate Manafort has spoken to his attorneys every day, and often multiple times a day. Manafort also possesses a personal laptop that he is permitted to use in his unit to review materials and prepare for trial. The jail has made extra accommodations for Manafort’s use of the laptop, including providing him an extension cord to ensure the laptop can be used in his unit and not just in the separate workroom.

Now, I don’t know if his email workaround is a violation of prison rules or not or whether there is any possible punishment for it. But this idea that he’s suffering in isolation is pure BS.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/7 ... ut-of-jail

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Is he shaving off his fingerprints? I'm not familiar with the Paul Sorvino GIF.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:00 pm

He's thinly slicing garlic. Its a scene from Goodfellas where they show the gang in jail, and they have it set up as nice suite with a bunch of amenities, and they spend a lot of time cooking for entertainment.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 pm

stoppingby wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:00 pm
He's thinly slicing garlic. Its a scene from Goodfellas where they show the gang in jail, and they have it set up as nice suite with a bunch of amenities, and they spend a lot of time cooking for entertainment.
Thanks. I have to admit I have almost shaved off my fingerprints while shaving garlic. But I have never been incarcerated.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:19 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 pm
stoppingby wrote:
Thanks. I have to admit I have almost shaved off my fingerprints while shaving garlic. But I have never been incarcerated.
The century's still young.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:19 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 pm
stoppingby wrote:
The century's still young.
:lol:

I believe Anita Hill!

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:35 pm

He even looks a little like Manafort.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 pm

I guess you could say this is a case of be careful, Manafort's, what you wish for coming home to roost.

I'm betting his attorneys having gotten the latest round of documents have finally realized just how deep the cess pit their client, and them by default, are in. So NO, he, and they, do not want to go to trial. :rotflmao:

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:45 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:56 pm
Is he shaving off his fingerprints? I'm not familiar with the Paul Sorvino GIF.
► Show Spoiler

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:52 am

kate520 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:35 pm
Unlike Manafort, Sorvino has been an amazing actor, singer, sculptor, businessman and humanitarian. He has one of the most diverse and impressive resumes in Hollywood and New York. Pretty good for a guy with a high school education. And a lot better than the scum that is Paul Manfort, who has a JD from Georgetown, who has spent his entire dissolute and prodigal life promoting dictators and autocrats, and who will probably spend the rest of his life in prison where he so deservedly belongs.

vic

Post by vic » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:24 am

Off Topic
Nothing new in the Anthony Williams thread since Monday. How long before he files to demand the same privileges as Manafort has?

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:40 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:52 am
kate520 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:35 pm
Unlike Manafort, Sorvino has been an amazing actor, singer, sculptor, businessman and humanitarian. He has one of the most diverse and impressive resumes in Hollywood and New York. Pretty good for a guy with a high school education. And a lot better than the scum that is Paul Manfort, who has a JD from Georgetown, who has spent his entire dissolute and prodigal life promoting dictators and autocrats, and who will probably spend the rest of his life in prison where he so deservedly belongs.
:yeah: Paul Sorvino is awesome.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:43 am

Slate: Paul Manafort continues to not be a very good criminal mastermind

There's nothing in the article we haven't discussed here, but the headline amused me very much.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm

I wouldn't recognize him and he's only been in, what, two weeks? He'll be gray-headed by the Sep trial.

ImageImageImage x4

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:50 pm

I have deep feelings for his unfortunate predicament.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:55 pm

I guess we now know there's no Clairol for men in Federal prison?

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:02 pm

Try not to hurl but, IMO, the gray is more attractive than that god-awful shoe polish look he's been sporting.

Now back to my regularly scheduled disgust for the whole shebang.

ImageImageImage x4

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:03 pm

In ordering his transfer to Alexandria, Judge T.S. Ellis wrote, "The professionals at the Alexandria Detention Center are very familiar with housing high-profile defendants including foreign and domestic terrorists, spies and traitors."
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/12/politics ... index.html

I love this Judge.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”