U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Sugar Magnolia

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:52 am
Perhaps they found Benjamin Raspail. Or someone like him.
Judge Crater.

RVInit

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Post by RVInit » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:56 am

RoadScholar wrote:
:rotflmao:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:39 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Jimmy Hoffa. Case closed.

"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Poor Paul (twitter link)
Josh GersteinVerified account @joshgerstein

BREAKING: Judge orders Manafort moved to Alexandria jail over his recent objection, blasts defense for 'surprising & confusing' position that 'cannot be easily explained or resolved.' Doc: https://politi.co/2zuuqoX Predicted here last night:

Linked Story
edit: and there is more

Katelyn Polantz Verified account @kpolantz

Mueller's prosecutors spill ALL the details about Paul Manafort's life in jail.
-Says he's treated like a VIP
- Gets laptop + extension cord to work on his case
- Using a laptop from his lawyers and hundreds of calls to chat with people outside jail
- Doesn't wear a jumpsuit
:violin:

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Could his lawyers get in trouble for this?

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:15 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 pm

I fervently hope so.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:29 pm

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/ju ... and-spies/
The legal saga of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort took another turn Wednesday as Eastern District of Virginia (EDVA) Judge T.S. Ellis has denied his bid to stay put at the jail he is currently residing at. Instead, he will be moved from a jail in Warsaw, Va. to the Alexandria Detention Center.

Manafort’s attorneys expressed concerns later Tuesday that moving him from Northern Neck Regional Jail to Alexandria would put their client’s safety in jeopardy. Ellis’ response? Don’t worry, they know how to handle terrorists (foreign and domestic), traitors and spies — and, also, you haven’t specified any threats to Manafort’s safety.

“Defense counsel has filed a motion opposing [Manafort’s] transfer from Northern Neck to Alexandria, despite having just complained about the defendant being housed at Northern Neck,” he began. “In the motion, defense counsel states that ‘issues of distance and inconvenience must yield to concerns about [Manafort’s] safety and, more importantly, the challenges he will face in adjusting to a new place of confinement and the changing circumstances.'”

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm

Volkonski wrote:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... ntinue.pdf
5 Although the jail does not allow prisoners to send or receive emails, Manafort appears to have developed a workaround. Manafort has revealed on the monitored phone calls that in order to exchange emails, he reads and composes emails on a second laptop that is shuttled in and out of the facility by his team. When the team takes the laptop from the jail, it reconnects to the internet and Manafort’s emails are transmitted.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:10 pm

Mary Quite Contrary wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:39 am
RoadScholar wrote:
Jimmy Hoffa. Case closed.
:lol: Now that would really make this a whole lot of fun. For us, anyway.

I really, really, really want to see Manafort all dressed up in his jail duds. I would almost pay money to see that video.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:11 pm

I suggest anyone with an interest in the Manafort saga read the entire filing by the government. Manafort has perks in his present jail not available to most inmates. He also is blabbing on the phone to people other than his attorneys. :brickwallsmall: The government is using those monitored phone calls to great effect.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

bob

Post by bob » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:16 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:15 pm
Volkonski wrote:
I fervently hope so.
Trouble like being-barred-from-the-jail or trouble like conspiracy to a commit a crime (say, witness tampering or evidence spoliation)?

It would be necessary to know the nature of the communication. Which I suspect Mueller already knows.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:18 pm

Volkonski wrote:
. . .
Google Lynn Stewart. Of course, she was communicating with enemies of the United States. Manafort is communicating with his lawyers who may be communicating with enemies of our country.

To echo another Fogbowzer in response to your question: I fervently hope so. These lawyers should know better. (And I bet the NSA has every such email.)

Edit: Semi Ninjad by bob.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:11 pm
I suggest anyone with an interest in the Manafort saga read the entire filing by the government. Manafort has perks in his present jail not available to most inmates. He also is blabbing on the phone to people other than his attorneys. :brickwallsmall: The government is using those monitored phone calls to great effect.
When I was doing transcription, I used to freelance for a place that transcribed phone calls from inmates. Hardest work I ever did so I didn't do it often. I knew medical terminology but I didn't know street lingo.

I don't know, and kinda doubt, every inmate's calls are transcribed, but I'd have bet the farm every call Manafort makes is. You'd have thought somebody would mention that to Paulie.

I pick my avatar to the holiday but now can't bear to look at puppy w/his flag. This is more appropriate.
ImageImageImage x4

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:18 pm
(And I bet the NSA has every such email.)
Oh, I hadn't thought about that. Thank you!

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:27 pm

I think these are emails to third parties. At the time he composes these emails, he’s actually meeting with his lawyers. No need to email them on their laptop.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:33 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
I was once tangentially involved in a case in which the inmate was actively fighting an attempt by the government to compel him to reveal the password to his encrypted phone. At the same time, he blabbed a password to a different device during a monitored call to a family member. Next thing you know, the gov’t withdrew it’s motion to compel. People are stupid.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:36 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Vwa-la!

Jail conditions start at page 3. Footnote 3 at p. 3, ECF 117 reads:
Among the unique privileges Manafort enjoys at the jail are a private, self-contained living unit, which is larger than other inmates’ units, his own bathroom and shower facility, his own personal telephone, and his own workspace to prepare for trial. Manafort is also not required to wear a prison uniform. On the monitored prison phone calls, Manafort has mentioned that he is being treated like a “VIP.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:43 pm

I wonder if his lawyers are smuggling hair dye in? :lol:

I believe Anita Hill!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:43 pm

We have previously discussed how undisciplined Manafort was, with his subornation conduct leading to his jailing. We now also see he is equally undisciplined in jail. His telephone conversations to non-lawyers are recorded and will be used against him (and just have been). How dumb do you have to be to think such calls are private when you're in a jail? Presumably his lawyers told him there is no privacy interest.

On the other hand, his lawyers are equally clueless. Did they never read about the Lynn Stewart case? Do they have no idea that circumventing rules about communications from a jail will not have adverse consequences to them?

I anticipate they will be charged with crimes after Manafort's trial is over.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:46 pm

SLQ wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:27 pm
I think these are emails to third parties. At the time he composes these emails, he’s actually meeting with his lawyers. No need to email them on their laptop.
If memory serves, they caught some ISIS guys in the US who set up yahoo or gmail accounts, composed their emails and saved them in their draft folders. The other guy would log into the email account and read the drafts, delete them and then compose their own "draft" email inb response. None of the emails were ever actually sent though.

This sounds like he's composing the emails without an internet connection in the jail, but once the attorney takes the computer back to the office and connects to the web, the emails are sent.

Or I may just be talking out of my ass. I do that occasionally.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Jails typically have all kinds of signs and voice warnings that calls are monitored. :brickwallsmall:

As if these lawyers didn't have enough egg on their faces after yesterday's "He needs to be moved but NEVERMIND" fiasco, I agree with Stern that this email scheme is gross negligence on their part. At best.

I believe Anita Hill!

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:43 pm
We have previously discussed how undisciplined Manafort was, with his subornation conduct leading to his jailing. We now also see he is equally undisciplined in jail. His telephone conversations to non-lawyers are recorded and will be used against him (and just have been). How dumb do you have to be to think such calls are private when you're in a jail? Presumably his lawyers told him there is no privacy interest.

On the other hand, his lawyers are equally clueless. Did they never read about the Lynn Stewart case? Do they have no idea that circumventing rules about communications from a jail will not have adverse consequences to them?

I anticipate they will be charged with crimes after Manafort's trial is over.
See, that’s what pisses me off about this. His counsel are now conflicted. And now he’s going to get the delay that he was looking for. I hope I’m wrong about that, but I don’t think it is something that the judge can ignore.

SLQ

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARAo

Post by SLQ » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Either Manafort or Cohen was using that draft email method, because I read about it here.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:55 pm

I wonder if Judge Ellis is beginning to regret his “the government is being mean to poor Paulie” position?

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”