US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Addie

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:20 am

Bloomberg: Manafort Doesn’t Want Jury to Hear About Trump Campaign or Alleged Collusion

¡Sterngard! come home.

MN-Skeptic

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 pm

From the Washington Post -

Judge orders Paul Manafort moved to Alexandria jail
A federal judge in Alexandria has ordered Paul Manafort moved to that city’s jail to prepare for his upcoming trial on bank and tax fraud charges.

Manafort, who was President Trump’s campaign chairman for several months, last week asked for his July 25 trial in Alexandria federal court to be delayed until this fall, saying his incarceration in Virginia’s Northern Neck has made it too difficult to prepare. He also wants the trial moved to Roanoke.

Judge T.S. Ellis gave the special counsel prosecuting Manafort until Friday to respond to those motions. In the meantime, he said Manafort would be moved from the Northern Neck to the jail in Alexandria “to ensure that the defendant has access to his counsel and can adequately prepare his defense.”

The Northern Neck Regional Jail is about 100 miles from Washington, and Manafort lawyers wrote in a filing last week that the two-hour trip and restrictions on electronic or telephone communications “has made meetings . . . to prepare his defense far more infrequent and enormously time-consuming.”

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

much ado

Post by much ado » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:28 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 pm
A federal judge in Alexandria has ordered Paul Manafort moved to that city’s jail to prepare for his upcoming trial on bank and tax fraud charges.
:snippity:
How are the accommodations at the Alexandria city jail? Are there any Yelp reviews?

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:45 pm

much ado wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:28 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 pm
How are the accommodations at the Alexandria city jail? Are there any Yelp reviews?
Probably won't be much difference if he's gonna be in seg.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:29 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:20 am
Bloomberg: Manafort Doesn’t Want Jury to Hear About Trump Campaign or Alleged Collusion
Well, I didn't want my parents to find out I was lying about where I was going when I left the house, but that didn't work out either.

ImageImageImage x4

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:02 pm

For the schadenfreude. Paulie doesn't want to move to the jail near to the courthouse.

Maybe ashamed to be in court with his natural hair and skin tone?

Rachel Weiner Verified account @rachelweinerwp

Manafort doesn't want to move to Alexandria jail, for reasons I can't understand. I've been there, as jails go it's pretty nice
2:17 PM - 10 Jul 2018

Rachel Weiner ‏Verified account @rachelweinerwp
23m23 minutes ago

I mean, it's no Arlington, but I'd still choose it over a jail 100 miles from my lawyers

11m11 minutes ago

Anyway here's an updated story on Manafort saying it would be too challenging to adjust to a new, closer jail now. Could be because he really doesn't want to show up in court in a jumpsuit, far away jail gives him an excuse not to appear

9m9 minutes ago

Judge Ellis ordered him moved to Alexandria, he's now asking the judge to rescind the order

"Terror must be maintained or the Empire is doomed."

-Evil Spock

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:07 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... a5d9f8f326
A federal judge in Alexandria has ordered Paul Manafort moved to that city’s jail to prepare for his upcoming trial on bank and tax fraud charges. But Manafort is fighting the move, saying he wants to stay at a jail 100 miles away in Virginia’s Northern Neck.

Manafort, who served as President Trump’s campaign chairman for several months, last week asked for his July 25 trial in Alexandria federal court to be delayed until this fall, saying his incarceration at Northern Neck Regional Jail has made it too difficult to prepare. He also wanted the trial moved to Roanoke.

Now the defense says moving Manafort to Alexandria would be more challenging then leaving him where he is.

“In light of Mr. Manafort’s continuing detention and after further reflection, issues of distance and inconvenience must yield to concerns about his safety and, more importantly, the challenges he will face in adjusting to a new place of confinement and the changing circumstances of detention two weeks before trial,” his defense attorneys wrote. “With these considerations in mind, Mr. Manafort respectfully asks the Court to permit him to remain in his current place of detention.”
:violin: :violin: :violin:

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:12 pm

This is absurd.

Manafort: Judge, I want my trial rescheduled, because the location where I am incarcerated makes preparation difficult.
Judge Ellis: Well, then I'll order you transferred to a nearer facility. Problem solved. No need for a continuance.
Manafort: Actually this place is just fine, but I fear for my physical safety somewhere else. So can I please still get my continuance?
Judge Ellis: ...

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:14 pm

I have no experience in this matter. What is there to adjust to? Breakfast at a different time?

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:51 pm

From The Hill -

Manafort fails in second bid to suppress storage-unit evidence
A U.S. district judge on Monday denied a second request by President Trump’s former campaign chairman Paul Manafort to disregard evidence seized from his storage unit in May, Bloomberg reported.

Special counsel Robert Mueller is using documents from the storage unit, obtained by his team of investigators from Manafort’s Virginia storage unit, to accuse Manafort of bank and tax fraud.

Though Manafort has tried to suppress the evidence in court twice now, both attempts have failed.

Manafort claims the evidence was taken without his permission and that an FBI agent convinced one of his employees to give investigators access to the storage unit.

District Court Judge Amy Jackson in June denied this claim, stating “law enforcement agents do not need a warrant to enter a location if they have voluntary consent.”

This time around, U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III reiterated there are no grounds for suppressing the evidence obtained from the storage unit.
Wouldn't you love to know what was in that storage locker?

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:53 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:14 pm
I have no experience in this matter. What is there to adjust to? Breakfast at a different time?
Even that is kind of a big deal when you're on 23-hour lockdown.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Should we toss him a pity party right about now? :violin:

vic

Post by vic » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Turtle wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:53 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:14 pm
Even that is kind of a big deal when you're on 23-hour lockdown.
According to TPM, Manafort in his new filing indicated that the issue wasn't so much the distance from his attorneys as that he was in detention at all:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker ... st-reverse
Manafort, in his request that he stay in Warsaw after all, said that the issues he raised about the location of the jail were “aimed more at the difficulty of preparing for trial given Mr. Manafort’s detention versus his prior status on pretrial release.”
TPM includes the filing as a Google document Here's the paragraph where that was said:
The Court endeavored to address some of those concerns in its July 10, 2018 Order by having Mr. Manafort relocated to the Alexandria Detention Center. However, the concerns underlying the request for a continuance, while specifically noting the substantial distance between Northern Neck Regional Jail and Alexandria, were, at bottom, aimed more at the difficulty of preparing for trial given Mr. Manafort’s detention versus his prior status on pretrial release.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Well, tell that to all the people being held in pretrial confinement.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:48 pm

Memo to Manafort: Be careful what you ask for.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Manafort has my thoughts and prayers.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:55 pm
Manafort has my thoughts and prayers.
Such a special little snowflake. :violin:

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:22 pm

Such an eggstra speshul bunch of snowflakes you mean, the whole lot of them.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:17 am

Manafort & Co. not ready for trial.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:55 am

Not SO much NOT ready as NOT wanting to go to trial. I don't think that any amount of preparation or delay is going to help them one little bit, and they know it. Poor bunnies. :rotflmao:

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:16 am

He needs to get him some black shoe polish from the commissary so he can color his hair.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:29 am

Turtle wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:16 am
He needs to get him some black shoe polish from the commissary so he can color his hair.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:49 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:55 am
Not SO much NOT ready as NOT wanting to go to trial. I don't think that any amount of preparation or delay is going to help them one little bit, and they know it. Poor bunnies. :rotflmao:
Apparently all of the documents that the Mueller folks retrieved from Rick Gates's electronic devices were delivered to the Manafort legal team fairly recently. No doubt they contain very bad news for Manafort, but the volume is also a burden on the defense of a long time criminal like Manafort. But instead of being truthful with the Court, they pleaded this claim that Manafort was housed too far away from his lawyers, so Judge Ellis ordered him moved, which was met with "never mind." This leaves the defense team in the same predicament and makes them look like whiny fools.

I'm very interested to learn what the FBI found in the storage locker. :daydream:

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:52 am

Perhaps they found Benjamin Raspail. Or someone like him.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”