U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Sterngard Friegen

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:45 am

Gregg wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:34 am
Well, I for one would be almost satisfied if prosecutors went to the next meeting and said "Nevermind, we'll go to trial and whatever you could have given us, we'll get anyway from several other somebodies, have a nice life".
I think Gregg is correct. Manafort isn't talking and the Mueller team already has the information and evidence from other sources.

Manafort may never again see the outside of a jail or prison except when he is being transported to and from courthouses. Unless, of course, he receives a pardon.

Notorial Dissent

Re: U.S. v. Manafort; Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Re Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:51 am

Agreed. I think Manafort is a fool, one can but hope he pays the price.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:57 am

Good thing the GOP is so firmly committed to protecting our political process against foreign influence, like they were ten years ago. :?

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:21 am

If nothing else, my above mentioned fantasy conversation would at least disarm the whole "they're only using Manafort to get to Trump" storyline.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:27 am

Gregg wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:21 am
If nothing else, my above mentioned fantasy conversation would at least disarm the whole "they're only using Manafort to get to Trump" storyline.
I like your fantasy conversation BTW.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Talking Points Memo
FBI Agent: Federal Investigators May Have Learned Of Manafort Storage Unit From AP Reporters

In testimony about the events leading up to a search of Paul Manafort’s storage unit, a FBI agent revealed Friday that federal prosecutors and the FBI may have been tipped off to the possibility that Manafort maintained storage lockers after an April meeting with four Associated Press reporters.

The revelation came in a hearing in front of U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis on motions ahead of the trial in the case brought against Manafort in Virginia, which is set to being next month.

The meeting between the AP reporters and investigators was previously known, and pointed to by Manafort in a court filing about media leaks related to the case.

However, FBI special agent Jeff Pfeiffer went into new detail about the actions took after he took after the meeting that culminated in the search of the storage unit in Virginia. Manafort has requested that the judge suppress the evidence from the search, because before getting a warrant, Pfeiffer entered the unit with the permission of a Manafort employee who had a key to it.

The meeting was set up on April 11, 2017, for prosecutors and FBI agents to receive information being offered by the AP reporters, Pfeiffer said during questioning by Uzo Asonye, an attorney representing special counsel Robert Mueller’s team. One of the AP reporters, who were in the midst of their own Manafort investigation, mentioned that Manafort had a storage unit. Pffiefer in his testimony said that it was either that meeting or other investigative efforts that led him to learn of the units.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:12 pm

Good to hear the fake news is cooperating in a witch hunt.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Paul Manafort is being kept in solitary confinement in order to "guarantee his safety," his lawyer said in court documents filed this week.

"He is locked in his cell for at least 23 hours per day (excluding visits from his attorneys)."
:violin:

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Boofekkinhoo. This man played all his life, everything was a game and he was out to win. He screwed many people over on his way up. Now they get to kick him on his way down.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:05 pm

kate520 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:47 pm
Boofekkinhoo. This man played all his life, everything was a game and he was out to win. He screwed many people over on his way up. Now they get to kick him on his way down.

:yeah:

I would not be at all upset “if” Mueller came up with enough to put Trump’s ass in a jail cell. I realize in a normal world that would be a fairly far-fetched notion, but nothing is too far fetched for him. Obama would have been locked up for bragging about grabbing a woman’s crotch, and so far with trump that is just drop in the bucket.

“Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.”

Is Trump not “adhering to our Enemies” in Russia? Did he not “aid” them when he had the party platform altered at the DNC to deny Ukraine weapons to defend themselves against Russia?

Seriously, I’d like to know what it would take? Obama would be doing life at Leavenworth by now!

Birfers are toast

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:07 pm

kate520 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Hope Yulia Tymoshenko is enjoying it.

“The bombing of Pearl Harbor took place during the Roosevelt Administration. Heck—I wasn’t even Vice President then. So I see no need to continue this war with Japan. Blame that Roosevelt guy.”

— Harry S Truman

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:55 pm

:lol:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:17 pm

Poor widdle Pauly, himz haz a sadz. Maybe some very very faint glimmer of reality has finally entered his life, doubtful but possible, I suppose ??? Nah, too stupid and too privileged, I think, and he still thinks they can't touch him.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:28 pm

:violin:
Notorial Dissent wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:17 pm
Poor widdle Pauly, himz haz a sadz. Maybe some very very faint glimmer of reality has finally entered his life, doubtful but possible, I suppose ??? Nah, too stupid and too privileged, I think, and he still thinks they can't touch him.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:38 pm

Kendra wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:02 pm

I don't even care anymore, knowing that after this trial, at least he's going to be a rich white Republican on trial for serious felonies in The District of Columbia, no matter what.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:42 pm

Gregg wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:38 pm
Kendra wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:02 pm
https:// twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1015348239304986624

I don't even care anymore, knowing that after this trial, at least he's going to be a rich white Republican on trial for serious felonies in The District of Columbia, no matter what.

:yeah:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:54 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:00 pm

CNN: Manafort bank fraud trial does have Trump campaign connection, Mueller's team says

¡Qué vergüenza!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Why are you all so nasty to Paul Manafort? He has my thoughts and prayers.

As for his motion to change venue, I would suggest the case be moved to the District of Columbia.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:24 pm

Now this is truly something unexpected: A defendant who has had bond revoked and is now in custody is permitting his lawyers to move for a continuance of trial?

Why the hell can't I have such patient and understanding clients?

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:19 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:13 pm
Why are you all so nasty to Paul Manafort? He has my thoughts and prayers.

As for his motion to change venue, I would suggest the case be moved to the District of Culumbia.
Well, I was giving him my thoughts and prayers, but as you have that covered, I will send my thoughts and prayers to Michael Cohen. My prayers are inspired by Rudy Davis, who introduced me to imprecatory prayer and my thoughts -- well we can't discuss those in civil company, much less polite.

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:56 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:24 pm
Now this is truly something unexpected: A defendant who has had bond revoked and is now in custody is permitting his lawyers to move for a continuance of trial?

Very interesting point. Unless they really believe in the tooth fairy and think they'll win a bid to get back out on release?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:27 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:24 pm

Yours are not waiting for a presidential pardon :mrgreen:

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”