US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy & FARA

Suranis

Re: US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy &

Post by Suranis » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:09 am

A secret photo has just been released, showing how the Whitehouse lawyers explained "filing under seal" to DOLTUS.

Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Re: US v. Manafort (Guilty Plea); Kilimnik; Gates (Guilty Plea): 17-cr-201: USDC for DC; Money-Laundering, Conspiracy &

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:27 am

:clap: :rotflmao:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:35 am

Definitely the poster child of the KISS function.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:34 pm

Judge Jackson isn't giving a whole lot of quarter to defense attorneys in this order. The January 25 hearing date remains unchanged.
DxIybwAXcAArbsV.jpg-large.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:46 pm

Lani wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:15 am
Sounds to me like he's expecting a pardon.
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind as well :madguy:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Suranis wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:09 am
A secret photo has just been released, showing how the Whitehouse lawyers explained "filing under seal" to DOLTUS.

This guy approves

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Stern will definitely be :rotflmao:.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/prominen ... -principal
Prominent Global Law Firm Agrees to Register as an Agent of a Foreign Principal

Civil settlement resolves Department of Justice national security inquiry into violations of the Foreign Agents Registration Act

Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP has entered into a settlement agreement with the Department of Justice, resolving its liability for violations of the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA), announced Assistant Attorney General for National Security John Demers.

According to the Agreement, Skadden acted as an agent of the Government of Ukraine within the meaning of FARA, 22 U.S.C. § 611 et seq., by contributing to a public relations campaign directed at select members of the U.S. news media in 2012. Moreover, in 2012 and 2013, Skadden received multiple inquiries from the Department’s FARA Registration Unit about its role in that campaign. A partner then at Skadden made false and misleading statements to the FARA Unit, which led it to conclude in 2013 that the firm was not obligated to register under FARA. The facts, when uncovered, showed that Skadden was indeed required to register in 2012, and, under the Agreement, it will do so retroactively.

In addition to agreeing to register under FARA, Skadden has agreed to pay the U.S. Treasury more than $4.6 million, which it received in fees and expenses for its work with Ukraine, and will ensure that it has formal, robust procedures for responding to inquiries concerning its conduct from any federal government entity and ensuring FARA compliance as to its engagements on behalf of foreign clients.

According to the Agreement, in the spring of 2012, Ukraine, Ministry of Justice (MOJ), with the assistance of Paul Manafort, hired Skadden to write a report (Report) on the evidence and procedures used during the 2011 prosecution and trial of former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko and to address various questions regarding its fairness. Skadden also agreed to advise Ukraine in connection with a second, potential future prosecution of Tymoshenko. Although the engagement letter between Skadden and the MOJ stated that Skadden would be paid its customary fees and expenses, the contract Skadden signed with the MOJ, and which the MOJ made public, stated that the law firm would be paid only 95,000 Ukrainian hryvynas, which is approximately $12,000. Skadden understood that a Ukrainian business person would be paying its fees, which the law firm received from a Cypriot bank account of an entity named Black Sea View Ltd., which Manafort controlled. Skadden was eventually paid $4,657,568.91 for its work on behalf of the MOJ. The arrangements with the Ukrainian business person, the amounts paid, and advice on a second criminal prosecution of Tymoshenko were not disclosed in connection with the issuance of the Report.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:52 pm

Remember Alexander van der Zwaan, convicted, jailed and deported early on?
Mr. van der Zwaan’s relationship with the other men dates to at least 2012. His law firm, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, assigned him to work with Mr. Gates and Mr. Manafort on a report used to defend their client Viktor F. Yanukovych, the pro-Russia former president of Ukraine, from international criticism over the prosecution and imprisonment of a political rival.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/03/us/a ... eller.html

:rotflmao: , indeed!
Edit:
Off Topic
Ammon Bundy's attorney in the Oregon trials, Marcus Mumpoot, was an associate in Skadden's New York office. So another reason for me, personally, to be :-D

tek

Post by tek » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:00 pm

d-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:14 pm

Fuck Skadden. Far and away the most evil of Biglaw firms.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:25 pm

Mueller seems to be turning a profit so far vs the expenses laid out to date?

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Mueller is good to go. :boxing: The hearing is scheduled for January 25. :popcorn: (But maybe no popcorn for us. :( So many of the exhibits are Sekret.)

Government's Response to Order of the Court.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... Court.html

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:19 pm

I suspect the judge will have the redacted version carefully screened, this time around. :fingerwag:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:37 pm

I'd rather have another redaction oops. That was fun.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Haven't read it yet. At least the redactions are done properly.

DEFENDANT PAUL J. MANAFORT JR.’S REPLY TO THE SPECIAL COUNSEL’S DECLARATION AND EXHIBITS IN SUPPORT OF ITS BREACH DETERMINATION

https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... -Reply.pdf
Edit: Manafort didn't lie! His statements to OSC "merely demonstrate a lack of consistency in Mr. Manafort's recollection of certain facts and events."

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:42 pm

Paulie has to show up on Friday for the hearing. Manafort's presence means media will once again focus on something that matters, rather than the SOTU and CovCath.
DxoE58GW0AAizMk.jpg

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:22 pm

We learned in the Bundy trials that defendants can wear suits. Is that only true for trials with the jury present :?:
DxoNLLaXcAA7qmA.jpg

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:52 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:50 pm
Haven't read it yet. At least the redactions are done properly.

DEFENDANT PAUL J. MANAFORT JR.’S REPLY TO THE SPECIAL COUNSEL’S DECLARATION AND EXHIBITS IN SUPPORT OF ITS BREACH DETERMINATION

https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... -Reply.pdf
Edit: Manafort didn't lie! His statements to OSC "merely demonstrate a lack of consistency in Mr. Manafort's recollection of certain facts and events."
I wonder how overawed Judge Amy will be about Paulie's lack of consistency argument? :bored:
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:55 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:22 pm
We learned in the Bundy trials that defendants can wear suits. Is that only true for trials with the jury present :?:

DxoNLLaXcAA7qmA.jpg
That's right. The court *must * allow defendants to wear a suit in front of the jury to avoid undermining the presumption of innocence. Given the amount of media attention, and the possibility that case is going to end up in front of another jury, I wouldn't be surprised if the judge grants the defense motion. Nor would I be surprised if she denies it. I could personally care less.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:00 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:55 pm
NMgirl wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:22 pm

DxoNLLaXcAA7qmA.jpg
That's right. The court *must * allow defendants to wear a suit in front of the jury to avoid undermining the presumption of innocence. Given the amount of media attention, and the possibility that case is going to end up in front of another jury, I wouldn't be surprised if the judge grants the defense motion. Nor would I be surprised if she denies it. I could personally care less.
Thank you for answering that question for me. :bighug:

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:08 pm

Fashionista Alert! Manafort gets to showcase one of his $10k suits. Ostrich skin?

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... Order.html

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:11 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:08 pm
Fashionista Alert! Manafort gets to showcase one of his $10k suits. Ostrich skin?

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... Order.html
He'd making an error in optics unless he shows up in JCP suit-separates -- from the clearance rack.
8-)
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:02 pm

The one thing I like most about Manafort is his taste in suits.
Thanks pal.

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:48 pm

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:02 pm
The one thing I like most about Manafort is his taste in suits.
Pinstripes

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:36 am

I suddenly have an urge to watch Oh Brother, Where Art Thou.
ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”