Arpaio (et al.) criminal contempt case

Mary Quite Contrary

Re: Arpaio (et al.) criminal contempt case

Post #201 by Mary Quite Contrary » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:25 am

:yeah: I would like him gone first, gone to jail second. :kiss:

"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

Jim

Post #202 by Jim » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:36 pm

As a nonresident, I'd like to see him strung up by the balls and used as a pinata by every minority he abused during his tenure. If I was a resident, I'd just want him gone.

Mary Quite Contrary

Post #203 by Mary Quite Contrary » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:43 pm

Jim wrote:As a nonresident, I'd like to see him strung up by the balls and used as a pinata by every minority he abused during his tenure. If I was a resident, I'd just want him gone.

I would like to change my answer to this. Thanks Jim.

"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

SueDB

Post #204 by SueDB » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:25 pm

I vote for the double delight - removal & jail. He needs a taste of what his victims had to sup.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Estiveo

Post #205 by Estiveo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:31 pm

SueDB wrote:I vote for the double delight - removal & jail. He needs a taste of what his victims had to sup.

But do they have pink chonies in his size?

"Moths are velvety-soft abominations attracted to light." --Puck, reporter from Breaking Cat News

RVInit

Post #206 by RVInit » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:38 pm

SueDB wrote:I vote for the double delight - removal & jail. He needs a taste of what his victims had to sup.

:yeah: Preferably to include the pink undies and the tent with a fold up cot...in August.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

SueDB

Post #207 by SueDB » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:15 pm

RVInit wrote:

:yeah: Preferably to include the pink undies and the tent with a fold up cot...in August.

Here! Here!

SueDB

Post #208 by SueDB » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:17 pm

Estiveo wrote:

But do they have pink chonies in his size?

They would have to be size "old and fat".

bob

Post #209 by bob » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:57 pm

CBS: Arpaio's criminal contempt trial moved to April 4:
Arpaio had been scheduled to be tried on Dec. 6, but the trial has since been moved to April 4 after his lawyer said he needed more time to prepare.

Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Dr. Caligari

Post #210 by Dr. Caligari » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:00 pm

bob wrote:CBS: Arpaio's criminal contempt trial moved to April 4:
Arpaio had been scheduled to be tried on Dec. 6, but the trial has since been moved to April 4 after his lawyer said he needed more time to prepare.

Giving President Trump plenty of time to pardon him. :madguy:

J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

Reality Check

Post #211 by Reality Check » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:14 pm

It was never going to finish before inauguration day anyway.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

bob

Post #212 by bob » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:48 pm

ABC: Sheriff Joe Arpaio criminal contempt: Case dismissed against Arpaio lieutenants:
There's another twist in the criminal contempt case against Sheriff Joe Arpaio, as the case against his lieutenants is dismissed by a federal judge.

In a court order filed Tuesday by U.S. District Court Judge Susan Bolton, the case against Chief Deputy Gerard Sheraton, Captain Steven Bailey and Michele Iafrate has been dismissed.

In explaining her decision, Bolton cited a one-year statute of limitations for criminal contempt, saying Judge Snow's order was given three weeks after the statute of limitations expired. However, the case against Arpaio himself will continue.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post #213 by Flatpointhigh » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:05 pm

http://www.cbs5az.com/story/34052555/ar ... estigation

Outgoing Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has announced that he will hold a news conference on Thursday to present the newest revelations in his years-long investigation of President Obama's birth certificate.

The news conference is scheduled for 4 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 15, 2016.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

bob

Post #214 by bob » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:14 pm

ABC: Joe Arpaio won't face contempt case for withholding hard drives:
Sheriff Joe Arpaio has been spared prosecution on a contempt-of-court charge for refusing to hand over 50 hard drives from a secret investigation, eliminating one legal problem for the lawman as he prepares to go on trial in the spring on a separate contempt count.

The ruling Tuesday by U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton backed up claims made two months ago by prosecutors that the statute of limitations bars them from pushing a criminal contempt case against Arpaio and top sheriff's aide Jerry Sheridan for withholding the hard drives.

The ruling, however, doesn't put Arpaio in the clear.

He still faces an April 4 trial on a misdemeanor contempt charge for prolonging his signature immigration patrols for 17 months after a judge in a racial profiling case had ordered them stopped.

And prosecutors said in October that they are conducting obstruction-of-justice investigations against Arpaio for withholding the hard drives and against two sheriff's aides and an Arpaio lawyer for concealing evidence in a separate investigation into alleged officer misconduct. Obstruction of justice is a felony that carries a punishment of 15 months to 37 months in prison.

Mel McDonald, an attorney representing Arpaio in the contempt case, declined to comment on whether the sheriff was planning on seeking a pardon from Trump.

Northland10

Post #215 by Northland10 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:02 am

I suspected that this might not go far, and I am not really concerned. One of the greatest punishments for somebody who craves attention and power is to lose it and it was the voters in his county are the ones that took it away. The new sheriff will be better off with Joe out of the news. He has plenty to do to rebuild a department that protects and serves ALL people in the county.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

bob

Post #216 by bob » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:38 pm

I was hoping Tes could chime in, but it seems to me that both of these developments are squarely Snow's fault: He did not sufficiently control the proceedings as to allow for a timely contempt referral.

The lack of prosecution regarding the hard drives essentially means everyone got away with the Seattle caper. But, looking at the big picture, it also means the contempt charges will actually reflect the underlying lawsuit: Arpaio's enforcement actions were unconstitutional, and he continued to act in an unconstitutional manner after being ordered to stop.

Tesibria

Post #217 by Tesibria » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:17 pm

bob wrote:

I was hoping Tes could chime in, but it seems to me that both of these developments are squarely Snow's fault: He did not sufficiently control the proceedings as to allow for a timely contempt referral.

The lack of prosecution regarding the hard drives essentially means everyone got away with the Seattle caper. But, looking at the big picture, it also means the contempt charges will actually reflect the underlying lawsuit: Arpaio's enforcement actions were unconstitutional, and he continued to act in an unconstitutional manner after being ordered to stop.

Per the article you posted Dec. 15, the prosecutors haven't given up on the hard-drive matter:
And prosecutors said in October that they are conducting obstruction-of-justice investigations against Arpaio for withholding the hard drives and against two sheriff's aides and an Arpaio lawyer for concealing evidence in a separate investigation into alleged officer misconduct. Obstruction of justice is a felony that carries a punishment of 15 months to 37 months in prison.

So .. there still is some hope....

As for the timing --- I'm a bit befuddled. Judge Snow is an incredibly detail-oriented judge. I am not entirely convinced that he just "missed" that little detail. It's certainly possible - as *everyone* makes mistakes, to be sure. But ... it's perplexing....

“Words are sacred. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones, in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.”― Tom Stoppard
WYE: Arpaio-Melendres-Seattle Operation Timeline | Sectec Astronomy: Dennis Montgomery Timeline

Sterngard Friegen

Post #218 by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:51 pm

Arpaio was ousted. That is pretty satisfying to me.

bob

Post #219 by bob » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:28 pm

Ariz. Rep.: The trial of Joe Arpaio: NCAA tournament pushes court date to April 25:
Bolton agreed Wednesday to delay the trial, which was originally set to begin April 4, in order to avoid the influx of tourists that will be in Phoenix for the NCAA tournament. Arpaio's criminal-contempt trial will now begin April 25.

But the hearing at federal court in downtown Phoenix on Wednesday largely centered on whether the trial would be heard by Bolton or a jury.

Bolton did not rule Wednesday on the bench or jury trial argument, but said she was inclined to choose bench. The bench trial, she said, would ensure Arpaio’s potential jail sentence was capped at six months, as the government had proposed.

A sentence for less than a year is typically associated with misdemeanor convictions, and misdemeanor defendants are typically not automatically afforded the right to a jury trial.

bob

Post #220 by bob » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:42 pm

Ariz. Rep.: Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio loses bid for jury trial in contempt case:
Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has lost his bid to have a jury decide whether he should be convicted of a criminal contempt-of-court charge for disobeying a court order in a racial-profiling case.

Instead, the misdemeanor case against Arpaio will be decided by U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton, who in a ruling Wednesday rejected arguments that a jury trial was needed to avoid appearance of bias by another judge who had recommended the criminal charge against the retired lawman.

The 84-year-old could face up to six months in jail if convicted. His trial is set for April 25.

Mel McDonald, Arpaio’s lawyer, said his client won’t appeal the latest decision. “It’s not surprising,” McDonald said, noting that Bolton had previously said she was leaning toward deciding the case herself. “We wanted a jury, but in life you don’t get everything you want.”

It’s unclear how the Justice Department in the Trump administration will handle the case going forward.

McDonald declined to comment on whether he is seeking a pardon for his client.

mmmirele

Post #221 by mmmirele » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Arpaio's new attorney wants the trial pushed back because of his son's Bar Mitzvah.

PHOENIX - The new attorney defending Joe Arpaio in his criminal contempt case wants the trial delayed at least two months because the attorney's family is preparing for a bar mitzvah.

The former Maricopa County sheriff's trial is scheduled to start April 25.

In a court filing, attorney Mark Goldman said he needed time to "get up to speed in the case." Goldman added:

The Goldmans have a scheduling conflict as their only son’s Bar Mitzvah is being held on April 29, 2017. The Bar Mitzvah and all of the events surrounding it, were scheduled wellover a year ago... In addition, The Goldmans will be hosting several out-of-town guests, including family members and friends, who will start arriving on or about April 23, 2017.

Arpaio's old defense attorney, Mel McDonald, is no longer on the case.

http://www.12news.com/mb/news/local/val ... /423925804

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #222 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:15 pm

Arpaio hired a Jewish lawyer???? Color me shocked! :shock:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Northland10

Post #223 by Northland10 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:12 pm

Goldman is a long time associate of Arpaio and was also a major contributor to disbarred former prosecutor Andrew Thomas. Apparently, he was involved in the Arpaio/Thomas games.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/mar ... on-6651195

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

bob

Post #224 by bob » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:44 pm

KTAR: Phoenix lawyer resists subpoena in Joe Arpaio’s criminal contempt case:
A lawyer who worked for former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio in a racial profiling case is resisting a subpoena to testify in the lawman’s criminal contempt-of-court case.

Attorney Tim Casey contends in a filing that the testimony that prosecutors will seek from him is protected by attorney-client privilege.

Casey defended Arpaio in the profiling case for nearly six years before bowing out in November 2014.

The judge in the profiling case found that Casey had informed Arpaio of the order the day it was issued and confronted him later when he discovered Arpaio was in violation of the order.

Tesibria

Post #225 by Tesibria » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:17 am

Arpaio actually filed a plethora of motions on Friday.

WYE Timeline is updated as to criminal case pleadings/events, with new links to some (but not all) of the pleadings.

I've pasted the docket (deleting nonsubstantive things like transcript requests), since Mar 1, below, as FYI. (Bold ones are on scribd; links at WYE.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
03/01/2017 -- 83 --ORDER as to Joseph M Arpaio (1): IT IS ORDERED granting the Government's Brief in Support of Request for Bench Trial (Doc. 61[RECAP] ). IT IS FURTHER ORDERED denying Defendant's Cross-Motion Requesting Jury Trial (Doc. 62[RECAP] ) [see attached Order for details]. Signed by Judge Susan R Bolton on 3/1/17.(MAW) (Entered: 03/01/2017)

03/17/2017 -- 85 -- NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE: Mark David Goldman appearing for Joseph M Arpaio . (Goldman, Mark) (Entered: 03/17/2017)

03/17/2017 -- 86 -- MOTION to Continue Trial by Joseph M Arpaio. (Attachments: # 1 Text of Proposed Order)(Goldman, Mark) (Entered: 03/17/2017)

03/20/2017 -- 87 -- RESPONSE in Opposition by USA as to Joseph M Arpaio, Gerard Sheridan, Steven R Bailey, Michele M Iafrate re: 86 MOTION to Continue Trial . (Attachments: # 1 Exhibit Exhibit A, # 2 Exhibit Exhibit B)(Keller, John) (Entered: 03/20/2017)

03/20/2017 -- 88 -- ORDER as to Joseph M Arpaio: The Court is in receipt of Defendant Joseph M. Arpaio's Motion to Continue Trial (Doc. 86 ). The Government filed its response at Doc. 87. IT IS ORDERED directing Defense counsel to file a reply no later than Noon, March 23, 2017. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED denying Defendant's request to extend the pretrial motions deadline and disclosure of Defendant's witness and exhibit lists contained within the motion to continue trial. Signed by Judge Susan R Bolton on 3/20/17.(MAW) (Entered: 03/20/2017)

03/21/2017 -- 89 *MOTION to Seal Document by Joseph M Arpaio. (Attachments: # 1 Text of Proposed Order Proposed Order)(McDonald, Andrew) *Modified on 3/24/2017 to Unseal Pursuant to Doc. 100 (MAP)*. (Entered: 03/21/2017)

03/22/2017 -- 91 -- NOTICE of Service of Subpoena to Maricopa County Sheriff's Office by Joseph M Arpaio. (McDonald, Andrew) (Entered: 03/22/2017)

03/23/2017 -- 92 -- REPLY TO RESPONSE to Motion by Joseph M Arpaio re: 86 MOTION to Continue Trial . (Goldman, Mark) (Entered: 03/23/2017)

03/23/2017 -- 93 -- NOTICE OF ERRATA re: 92 Reply to Response by Joseph M Arpaio.. (Goldman, Mark) (Entered: 03/23/2017)

03/23/2017 -- 94 -- NOTICE OF ERRATA re: 91 Notice (Other) Notice of Service of Subpoena to Maricopa County Sheriff's Office by Joseph M Arpaio.. (McDonald, Andrew) (Entered: 03/23/2017)

03/23/2017 -- 95 -- NOTICE OF ATTORNEY APPEARANCE: Karen Ann Clark appearing for Timothy J Casey as to Joseph M Arpaio, Gerard Sheridan, Steven R Bailey, Michele M Iafrate. (Clark, Karen) Modified on 3/23/2017 (REW). (Entered: 03/23/2017)

03/23/2017 -- 96 -- MOTION to Quash Subpoena by Timothy J Casey as to Joseph M Arpaio. (Attachments: # 1 Text of Proposed Order)(Clark, Karen) (Entered: 03/23/2017)

03/24/2017 -- 97 -- MOTION Preclude Testimony of Timothy Casey by Joseph M Arpaio. (McDonald, Andrew) (Entered: 03/24/2017)

03/24/2017 -- 98 -- MOTION Preclude Alleged "Victim" Testimony by Joseph M Arpaio. (McDonald, Andrew) (Entered: 03/24/2017)

03/24/2017 -- 99 -- Additional Attachments to Main Document re: 96 MOTION to Quash Subpoena by Timothy J Casey as to Joseph M Arpaio. (Clark, Karen) (Entered: 03/24/2017)

03/24/2017 -- 100 -- ORDER denying 89 Motion to Seal as to Joseph M Arpaio (1). The Court's review of Defendant Arpaio's Supplement in Support of Second Motion to Continue does not disclose any privileged information nor can the Court discern any legal basis justifying the sealing. FURTHER ORDERED that Defendant's Motion to Seal, Defendant's Supplement in Support of Second Motion to Continue and this Order shall be placed on the public docket. Signed by Judge Susan R Bolton on 3/24/17.(MAP) (Entered: 03/24/2017)

03/24/2017 -- 101 -- SUPPLEMENT In Support by Joseph M Arpaio to 86 MOTION to Continue Trial filed by Joseph M Arpaio. (MAP) (Entered: 03/24/2017)

03/24/2017 -- 102 -- MOTION Clarify Background and History of the "Civil Contempt" Admission by Joseph M Arpaio. (McDonald, Andrew) (Entered: 03/24/2017)

03/24/2017 -- 103 -- MOTION to Continue Trial Motion for Continuance or to Exclude Documents Disclosed by the Government after March 1, 2017 by Joseph M Arpaio. (Attachments: # 1 Exhibit January 25, 2017 Pretrial Conference Transcript, # 2 Exhibit March 21, 2017 Email, # 3 Exhibit March 22, 2017 Email, # 4 Text of Proposed Order)(Goldman, Mark) (Entered: 03/24/2017)

03/24/2017 -- 104 -- MOTION to Exclude - Defendant Arpaios Motion to Prohibit the Introduction of Constitutionally Protected Campaign Statements by Joseph M Arpaio. (Attachments: # 1 Text of Proposed Order)(Goldman, Mark) (Entered: 03/24/2017)

03/24/2017 -- 105 -- MOTION for Hearing re: Voluntariness Hearing and Supplement In Support Of Defendant Arpaios Motion To Clarify Background And History Of The Civil Contempt Admission by Joseph M Arpaio. (Attachments: # 1 Exhibit 04-23-2015 Evidentiary Hearing Transcript, # 2 Exhibit 02-26-2015 Status Conference Hearing transcript, # 3 Text of Proposed Order)(Goldman, Mark) (Entered: 03/24/2017)

03/24/2017 -- 106 -- * MOTION to Stay Proceedings by Joseph M Arpaio. (Attachments: # 1 Text of Proposed Order)(Goldman, Mark) *Modified to correct event type on 3/27/2017 (KGM). (Entered: 03/24/2017)
NOTE: This is on basis of appeal re: Motion to Disqualify Judge Snow....

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Could get interesting....

“Words are sacred. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones, in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.”― Tom Stoppard
WYE: Arpaio-Melendres-Seattle Operation Timeline | Sectec Astronomy: Dennis Montgomery Timeline

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”